• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Vire

Idea for the Promethean vehicles: make them Sentinels. Here's how it would work:
-Sentinels function by themselves, unmanned, as standard enemies.
-After taking significant damage, they vary in action, depending on how much damage they receive much like vehicles.
-If they take too much damage, they simply explode and are destroyed for good.
-However, taking ~90% damage would send them into a "withdraw" mode. Examples already in-game include active:

Withdrawn:

-While withdrawn, Sentinels would remain inactive on the ground for a short period of time. This gives them two options:
-After about 10 seconds, they repair enough to get off the ground and begin fighting again. (This is assuming Sentinels would have regenerating health.)
-If you go up to them, it prompts "Press X to Board Enemy Sentinel."
-Doing so would initiate a light transformation sequence where the Sentinel rearranged and contorted to function as a vehicle for you, using levitation, possibly boosting, and whatever weaponry it had at the time.

Basic vanilla Sentinels explode and are destroyed like usual, but there can be four other options:

1. Super Sentinel. Light Recon / "Promethean Ghost"
640px-Forerunner_Sentinel_Boss.jpg

Active Mode: Central concept.
Withdrawn Mode: Bottom-right.
Vehicle Mode: Top-left.

This would be the quickest of the Promethean vehicles, capable of levitating off the ground and getting some aerial capacity, but is better at horizontal/lateral movement rather than ascent. It can boost. Its only weapon is a modified Sentinel Beam, which does about 90% damage of a regular Sentinel Beam, but slows down and stuns targets, similar to the Halo CE Plasma Rifle.

2. Promethean Enforcer. Middle-Level Vehicle / "Promethean Warthog"
Active Mode:
614px-Enforcer.png

Withdrawn Mode:
640px-HaloSentinelEnforcer-scan.jpg

Vehicle Mode: ?

This would be similar to a Warthog, and could theoretically hold two allies in the lower modified "arms." It loses its ability to crush other vehicles but can still float a considerable height above the ground, but is fairly slow for a mid-level vehicle. Its weapons include a mortar-like ballistic missile launcher that the driver can use (which requires recharge), and the two passengers can also control Promethean Needler shots--roughly equivalent to using two buffed Needlers at once per "turret," recolored red. It can use its frontal shield, but it will automatically deactivate to accommodate passengers.

3. Promethean Retriever. Heavy Vehicle / "Promethean Scorpion"
StratoSentinel.jpg

Active Mode: Right concept.
Withdrawn Mode: Left concept.
Vehicle Mode:
640px-Strato-Sentinel.png

While initially levitating, being occupied by a Spartan would force it to convert to a grounded "walker" form, with the slowest movement time, comparable to a Scorpion tank. Rather than rely on explosives, the Retriever could fire an incredibly powerful set of three Sentinel Beams with enough power to destroy a rival Scorpion as long as the entire beam connected (which would last about five seconds). It would take a four-second recharge and while it can turn on a 360 degree axis, the Retriever cannot walk while firing its beam. Its downsides include its wide top being exposed to a variety of fire, legs getting heavily damaged by grenades and heavy fire, and the two side "vents" could be boarded to place grenades in.

4. Forerunner Tank. Context-sensitive, situational "Super" vehicle
640px-Origins-Unnamed-Sentinel.png

This vehicle's properties are unknown, minus having a single beam attack capable of leveling entire cities using a form of "Hardlight Glassing."
Quoted for justice.

Doesn't deserve to die on the last page.

blamite

So what's everyone's launch plans? Jump right into multi or go for campaign. Start out on legendary, or go slow for the story?

Solo Heroic from ~midnight to probably 3 or 4 am, sleep until 10, get up and finish the campaign before class as 1. Come back after class and jump into multiplayer for the next three years. Play Spartan Ops whenever my group gets together. Probably week 2 or 3 I start my solo Legendary campaign.

senador

Banned
No, I don't know what a fictional drink is made of.

I'm salty today, I should eat something.

Solo Heroic campaign.

Well then you need to watch S1E13 and find out! ;)

Solo Heroic for me too. I wouldn't find it fun to do Legendary first, the pacing and stuff is off.

zap

Legendary Solo.

Will be in the first 100 Mark VI helmet wearers, believe.

Heh doubt it.

We get it ~18 hours before America, there will be more than 100 people from NZ/Aus/Japan etc that complete Legendary Solo before you even start ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck it, I probably won't even use Mark VI outside of completion anyway :lol

I'm thinking solo Heroic midnight, then finding three other people (with decent connections hopefully) to do a Legendary co-op run.

If you're on when I finish I'll run through it with you again. I've got 5up 30down.

slashmysoul

Neo Member
Hey everyone,

So, I've been lurking here since probably around November last year sometime (ever since I saw on Halopedia Frankie had posted here about Anniversary Easter eggs), but I haven't felt the need to jump into a discussion on here, or passionate enough about the topic until I saw the Jäger convo. Or haven't felt able to, perhaps. ;-) I visit the site a lot, but you guys always seem to have all the angles covered, so haven't bothered logging in to reply! I'm a little lazy...

Hence, found the new member survey so thought it'd be the easiest way to get started back on topic:

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)

28, from the UK. England, to be a bit more specific.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

Since Halo 2. It's still my favourite, possibly because I played it first! Mind you one of my favourite Halo experiences was revisiting the CE campaign last year... :). Yes, I've played them all and enjoyed them all, although obviously to varying degrees.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
(i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)

Multiplayer, although I'm a huge fan of the campaign, the story and the wider fiction (hence my browsing halopedia whilst supposed to be working during the day). But once campaign is done, multiplayer for me. I did play firefight a fair amount on Reach but I got a bit tired of it.

What is your favorite playlist?
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

Rumble Pit. We only had one controller when I got my xbox with Halo 2 so didn't play campaign co-op, (we took turns), and we couldn't afford the internet once we got controllers so multiplayer was always a 4 way FFA. Haven't really got out the lone wolf mindset since!

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

Hmm I don't want to ramble too much, so I'll keep it short. I love Halo, I'm a big music guy so when I'm not playing halo I'm usually playing an instrument or listening to an album. Aside from that... I'm tired of living in a cold cloudy country so if anyone can suggest an upgrade to somewhere with sunshine, I'm all ears!

To get in on the relevant discussion question I saw (and to avoid posting too much I'll include it here) - I intend to jump into the campaign on heroic the day Halo 4 is out, and I'll most likely complete that before I even think about Spartan Ops or Infinity. Having said that, I'm eager to see how multiplayer plays so I might not be able to hold out that long. But it'll definitely be campagin first.

Sorry if this is too long! Be gentle...

Got some really cool games with Over, Xand and subsequently blamite. MLG Halo is great Halo.

Did I ever mention how much I love HaloGaf? It's really cool to see 343i giving to their fans and even cooler to see those fans share out the swag.

TCKaos

Threw my under-qualified hat in to the ring for that new 343 job listing. Being a poor college kid and getting a dream job at a AAA game developer seems like a long shot, but I figure I have nothing to lose.

Ken

I get the game a day early here compared to the States, thanks to time zones. Too bad street dates get broken more often in the States. =\

Fuchsdh

I've heard this a couple times now, just curious where it was stated that that was the unlock condition? Glad I won't have to grind for months to get it.
Bulletin mentioned legendary don't think it specifically said solo though.

Heroic is definitely my initial play style, especially since I won't have played the game at all beforehand. Let's ne be looser with my play, explore more and test out the sandbox.

DeadNames

Banned
*sigh*

Every time I play with people that DON'T play Halo, it's always "HALO SUCKS AND COD IS SO MUCH BETTER AND YOUR LOGIC DOESN'T COUNT".

Please let me play with you guys sometimes.

Fracas

#fuckonami
*sigh*

Every time I play with people that DON'T play Halo, it's always "HALO SUCKS AND COD IS SO MUCH BETTER AND YOUR LOGIC DOESN'T COUNT".

I would play, but I am at home for the weekend and my setup here is terrible lol.

kylej

Banned
I'd go to NYCC if I hadn't just dropped some serious coin on stupid car shit. I'd probably just go to drink with tashi and juices though and stare at cosplay chicks. Comic Con seems to be more about movies than anything else these days.

m23

*sigh*

I'm always up for some Halo, add me up GT: Munish Thiara

We're always short a player or two.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'd go to NYCC if I hadn't just dropped some serious coin on stupid car shit. I'd probably just go to drink with tashi and juices though and stare at cosplay chicks. Comic Con seems to be more about movies than anything else these days.

My drinking partners are droppin like flies.

Juices you trying to go to NYCC?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Heh doubt it.

We get it ~18 hours before America, there will be more than 100 people from NZ/Aus/Japan etc that complete Legendary Solo before you even start ;)
So that's about 55 people?

;)

I also don't expect that most are going to gun for Legendary as they'll either hit online or try to burn through campaign fast.

Either way, 18 hours or not, I will be one of the first rocking it online.

Solo Heroic from ~midnight to probably 3 or 4 am, sleep until 10, get up and finish the campaign before class as 1. Come back after class and jump into multiplayer for the next three years. Play Spartan Ops whenever my group gets together. Probably week 2 or 3 I start my solo Legendary campaign.

You think it will be three years till Halo 5? I figure if we get Xbox720 in fall 13, shouldn't we expect halo 5 by fall 14? I guess Halo 3 took two years into the xbox 360 so that does make sense.

Just listed my A40s with Mixamp on ebay, in case anyone is interested.

Any particular reason? I just asked about those and everyone said to buy em.

senador

Banned
Any particular reason? I just asked about those and everyone said to buy em.

I want to upgrade to the A50s. A40s are great though. Good sound, comfy, good mic quality, nice build. I have a surround setup already though so it'd be nice to have wireless since I don't use them all the time.

Just listed my A40s with Mixamp on ebay, in case anyone is interested.

I don't know if that's allowed or not actually, just been a lot of talk about them here recently. Will remove if not allowed.

I might be interested in buying them, but is there any chance you could give me until around the end of the month? I'm going to find out how much I'm getting paid for an art thing on the 27th and that would determine whether or not I could buy it.

senador

Banned
I might be interested in buying them, but is there any chance you could give me until around the end of the month? I'm going to find out how much I'm getting paid for an art thing on the 27th and that would determine whether or not I could buy it.

Hmm, possibly. Lemme see how they do first for a bit. I want to move them so I can get new ones and I keep putting it off.

Is there really a large difference? I really want those white wireless A40s. They're out of stock though.

A50 is wireless and has Mixamp in the headset, wireless A40s I believe you have to clamp the wireless transmitter on your belt or something. The A50s also have slightly better sound quality, but not much. A50 you can't customize the speaker tag or remove the boom.

The wireless A40s are actually A50s. :)

No they aren't. ;) They are similar overall, but different. A50 came out this summer and are a new model. I'm sure they share parts, but yeah.

Top Bottom