• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TrueSkill has nothing to do with actually forming matches. It can make a poor match if there are no restrictions and the pool is suffiently low.

success_baby.jpg

Karl2177

That's weird, but I guess it's possible for Live to mess something up in a transaction. Modders can never seem to control themselves though, and always unlock all the achievements for a game at the same time.

A guy I used to play Live with over on the PA forums unlocked an achievement in Condemned when it came out, and somehow Live awarded him 4,916,919 gamescore for it.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Did Condemned ever get above 970 GS?

Why, when Halo 2's is so much better? :)

CHALLENGE FOR RANDOMROSSO

FIND ME ALL VARIANTS OF THE SUPERINTENDENT BEEPS AND BOOPS

PNut

Banned
There isn't a working ranking system or a spectator mode. How can it possibly be any fun?

You joke but at least Bungie tried to provide some sort of ranking system in Reach with the Arena. Regardless of it's flaws, it still gives players competitive games if you invest time in it. For someone that doesn't have the time to invest in learning everything MLG and wants a close vanilla Halo competitive environment it works. Regardless of what people say.

So far 343 has avoided all discussion about competitive playlist(s) or a ranking system in Halo 4, and instead invited competitive players to test out a couple maps that are too big for 4v4 and would never be played in a proper competitive playlist.

CyReN

You joke but at least Bungie tried to provide some sort of ranking system in Reach with the Arena. Regardless of it's flaws, it still gives players competitive games if you invest time in it. For someone that doesn't have the time to invest in learning everything MLG and wants a close vanilla Halo competitive environment it works. Regardless of what people say.

So far 343 has avoided all discussion about competitive playlist(s) or a ranking system in Halo 4, and instead invited competitive players to test out a couple maps that are too big for 4v4 and would never be played in a proper competitive playlist.

To be fair they did get to work on the strategy guide, with a MLG event also if that's anything. I hope at NYCC they announce something for the competitive diehards of the game via skill ranks.

While a carrot for some, a visual ranking system won't be necessary to improve skill matching if the playlists are pruned, populated, and adequately restricted.

PNut

Banned
While a carrot for some, a visual ranking system won't be necessary to improve skill matching if the playlists are pruned, populated, and adequately restricted.

Yeah, but there hasn't been any talk about that either so I assume it will still be like Reach.

My main point was that at least Bungie tried in Reach to bring back competitive without numbered ranks. I remember reading a 3 page article in some random magazine about how Reach "Arena" was going to revolutionize competitive Halo. Maybe it was in Wired. I can't remember.

wwm0nkey

Bought that Miner Murder game... In a way it does feel like Halo

Playing on the Halo maps help a lot lol

but yeah a few thing I like that they added from the Halo games. Shooting grenades in air or idle ones on the ground, melee lunge (can even semi-duplicate the sword glitch) and the 3hsk pistol.

Overdoziz

Banned

senador

Banned
Huge resource hog? That can't be anything besides spectator mode! I mean, what costs more bandwidth than creating that?

They already said no to that though. Hmm, so 3 biggish things that made it in but aren't announced. What could those be? I really can't think of any ideas. Maybe they aren't all new, but additions to existing features? Something new for Theater? Some new big edition that made it into Forge? I got nothin'.

cocamola

Banned
Just watched the Frankie Interview... Is it just me or has he got a pair of hipster glasses on?

Breaking news: Instagram support for Halo 4.

FyreWulff

Ranking systems historically (in Halo) are one of the top factors to decrease a playlist's population.

Yup. Even if all other settings are the same (including party configuration), ranking a playlist always drops it's population.

This is pretty much why you're never going to see ranked Objective ever again.

Hey everyone,

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

Since Halo 2. It's still my favourite, possibly because I played it first! Mind you one of my favourite Halo experiences was revisiting the CE campaign last year... :). Yes, I've played them all and enjoyed them all, although ob

Sorry if this is too long! Be gentle...

Welcome. Sorry to hear that you started with Halo 2, but at least you started before Halo 3 :]

Curious question, hoping for an honest answer:
What Halo game are you the fondest of?

*sigh*

Every time I play with people that DON'T play Halo, it's always "HALO SUCKS AND COD IS SO MUCH BETTER AND YOUR LOGIC DOESN'T COUNT".

Please let me play with you guys sometimes.

I been meaning to add you actually after that night in someone's (I think juices or exwife?) stream, so let's play sometime ho - add me

Just tell me beforehand if you want to play serious.. I think I made ExWife and Zoso frustrated the other night when I was blasted, running out poopin on scrubs, not caring about holding positions on Condemned lol - good thing we had so much POWER on our team ;]

K, diarrhea of the mouth.. May or may not be sober typing this message so excuse me peepz but I think ima finally go watch the last episode of Gungrave.

Anyone have feedback on this game?

Who were these six noble individuals who keep getting mentioned...

Ready Up Live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmDHmuA_NY&t=1m31s

Griffball Hub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUAbXEEPpxE&t=4m39s

Noble 6 confirmed.

I remember skimming through the thread, reading this and it made no sense since I haven't seen those vids.. I randomly stumble upon the RUL vid much later and remember how Frankie said that same thing in the Griffball Hub interview, THEN noticed someone quoted you posting the RUL link so I was going to quote you and post this comment with it...........

..but what do I find?

An answer to a mystery from earlier that I never expected to discover an answer to.

BROLIC post is BROLIC

slashmysoul

Neo Member
Welcome. Sorry to hear that you started with Halo 2, but at least you started before Halo 3 :]

Curious question, hoping for an honest answer:
What Halo game are you the fondest of?

Thank you :). lol yeah I feel I was a little late for the halo party, but back when CE came out all my time and money went on guitars; I had nothing left of either to spend on gaming.

So it has to be Halo 2 for me, simply for the sheer amount of memories I have of playing multiplayer with a group of drunk friends all through the night, and the many hours I invested online when I finally got an XBL account. Ah that game was a welcome distraction through some difficult times!

That's your honest answer :D

Ryaaan14

Banned
I find it hilarious people judge vehicles on a couple of experiences. If there's one thing playing countless games of Halo has taught us, wonky things happen with vehicles and it takes a shitload of playtime to establish a baseline for a vehicle.

Mexico should have their own separate Xbox LIVE. I am so sick of playing them.

TrueSkill has nothing to do with actually forming matches. It can make a poor match if there are no restrictions and the pool is sufficiently low.

I remember reading a 3 page article in some random magazine about how Reach "Arena" was going to revolutionize competitive Halo.

I remember an article like that. I think it was Joe Tung talking about how 1-50 was actually too good at accurately placing players between the numbers. 1-50 was too good, you heard it folks.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I think Arena would have fared slightly better if their divisions were divided 20-20-20-20-20.

I always got the impression some H3 generals ended up in the gold division in Reach, bitched and moaned about the settings, then went and played vanilla slayer.

Having half of your population in the lowest division was never going to help keep your less-than-uber-competitive players interested. Ranks either have to be force fed or buffed to make everyone feel good, otherwise you'll end up with those low pool numbers that destroy matchmaking.

Not sure what your point is, since I search with Good Connection and Language priorities in Team Slayer--the most popular list--and still get matched with them. That's an indicator that skill matching restrictions are there.

Oh? Fair enough then.

I mean if it's bad for you in America, it's really bad for a UK player. I too choose good connection (in team snipes, 1000-2000 players roughly) and get Mexicans all the time. It's funny, I went through a streak of correctly guessing if a Mexican was in the game based purely on the Mexican connection instinct. It's its own unique breed of bizzaro land latency.

Shadders

Fi2tJ.jpg

Just found a shop with this in stock. Tastes good man.

I'm going to try and organise a Mountain Dew foreign exchange program for any US gaffers wanting to try some.

Omni

Off topic - Jeez changing the WLID associated with my GT is one giant pain in my ass. Apparently my email addresses are not in the same region, even though I chose "Australia" when making them both. Egh.

Does anyone have bigger versions of these concept art pics? I'm looking for a new desktop wallpaper, and they aren't quite big enough.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is kind of interesting. I was looking at the profile of that guy who "totally has Halo 4 achievements", and I found this:
KSPHo.png

He returns

The digital game art magazine Vertex by Ryan Hawkins is definitely worth a read if you are digital artist. Furthermore the first issue is interesting for the normal Halo fan because Ryan sat down with 343i's lead concept artist Nicolas "Sparth" Bouvier. A great person who talks about his approach to the universe, his inspiration sources etc. The best thing? Vertex is available for free!

Shadders

Really enjoyed playing Murder Miners just now, didn't quite understand what was going on. I was just stalking round with rest 3sk pistol, some people were building forts and stuff, how do I do that?

Top Bottom