• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Overdoziz

Banned
Really enjoyed playing Murder Miners just now, didn't quite understand what was going on. I was just stalking round with rest 3sk pistol, some people were building forts and stuff, how do I do that?
I just got it too, add me on XBL. GT is Overdoz1z.
We need to get a hold of those Halo map remakes.

Talents

Banned
murder miners sounds awesome, will buy it later today

Same, it looks like an awesome game.

Wow, gay. Murder Miners costs 240 MP, and I have 220, why can't they add a feature where you can add a specific number of microsoft points? Don't feel like adding 400 MP when I only need 20.

JFizzle

Neo Member
I just got it too, add me on XBL. GT is Overdoz1z.
We need to get a hold of those Halo map remakes.

I'll get 'em to who ever wants 'em. I got lockout, hang 'em high, and chillout...plus complex and facility from goldeneye/perfect dark.

Also, who wants the game for free?
RQJB8-K964B-H6HQD-XBDH2-XG9Q3
QGDHB-33T8B-6PB7J-DRG6Y-MPQD6

Fi2tJ.jpg

Just found a shop with this in stock. Tastes good man.

I'm going to try and organise a Mountain Dew foreign exchange program for any US gaffers wanting to try some.

:D, please keep us updated if you do this i'd probably buy a couple from ya.

To be fair they did get to work on the strategy guide, with a MLG event also if that's anything. I hope at NYCC they announce something for the competitive diehards of the game via skill ranks.

I can't imagine them waiting that long to announce how matchmaking and skill ranks will work. I'm hoping we'll know about skill ranks by the end of this month.

It would be nice if we could get a bulletin explaining the whole matchmaking system would work. Like this.

Talents

Banned
I'll get 'em to who ever wants 'em. I got lockout, hang 'em high, and chillout...plus complex and facility from goldeneye/perfect dark.

Dammit, people were too quick.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Murder miners is really good, I enjoyed it last night even if I was too tired to figure out throwing the grenades, lol. Pistol/shotty combo may by the best combo.

IHaveIce

Banned

next time you should hide the codes in Email tags.
But nice of you, is there already a GAF thread for it?

wwm0nkey

I'm guessing the only way to get maps from other people is to play on them and save it during a match?

Yeah but if you join or save when anything is destroyed they will also be destroyed in your saved version. So you have to join at the very start of the match and click "save map" or go to recent maps and do that.

Dangit, stop giving away things when I'm not around! :p

I tried the trial for Murder Miners out last night. Unfortunately you can't play Multiplayer, so I went ahead and went into build mode. Seems pretty cool, but kinda hard to get used to the building controls. Can't wait to buy the full game to try out Multiplayer.

Omni

I was reading the Battlelog forums a few minutes ago and a whole bunch of people were talking about how 'competitive' Halo Reach is, whereas quite a few people who frequent Halo forums think the exact opposite.

Funny how that works.

Arnie

I was reading the Battlelog forums a few minutes ago and a whole bunch of people were talking about how 'competitive' Halo Reach is, whereas quite a few people who frequent Halo forums think the exact opposite.

Funny how that works.
Reach is the least competitive Halo.

Until 4 comes out, where people kill each other because of special perks, and games are played for personal experience so people can unlock new weapons for their created classes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Until 4 comes out, where people kill each other because of special perks, and games are played for personal experience so people can unlock new weapons for their created classes.

Well, to be fair, we know that's only in certain playlists.

That said, those will be the most popular playlists.

Talents

Banned

Unlocking weapons!?

WUT!??!?!?!?

GhaleonEB

Well, to be fair, we know that's only in certain playlists.

That said, those will be the most popular playlists.

And the most numerous. I'm guessing most playlists will feature the weapon and armor mod options, with Infinity Slayer adding the personal ordnance systems. Something akin to Slayer Pro will be the stripped down option with fixed load outs and no armor mods.

And yeah, I think Infinity Slayer will be among the most popular couple of playlists. It's pretty fun and will appeal to the masses well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
And the most numerous. I'm guessing most playlists will feature the weapon and armor mod options, with Infinity Slayer adding the personal ordnance systems. Something akin to Slayer Pro will be the stripped down option with fixed load outs and no armor mods.

And yeah, I think Infinity Slayer will be among the most popular couple of playlists. It's pretty fun and will appeal to the masses well.

I'll be honest, the older I get the less I "care" about how competitive a game is and more about how much fun I'm having, I'm sure you can agree to some level there since I think we may be close in age and family disposition (kids).

I can honestly see playing Infinity slayer the most and some OBJ when friends/HaloGAF want to get on just because I want to spend the limited amount of time I can actually play games having fun.

GhaleonEB

I'll be honest, the older I get the less I "care" about how competitive a game is and more about how much fun I'm having, I'm sure you can agree to some level there since I think we may be close in age and family disposition (kids).

I can honestly see playing Infinity slayer the most and some OBJ when friends/HaloGAF want to get on just because I want to spend the limited amount of time I can actually play games having fun.

Yeah, that's me, though my play preferences haven't changed too much over the years. I'm not really a competitive guy; my love is co-op, and in Halo 2 and 3 I mostly stuck to social playlists. With Reach, the only MP I could really enjoy were the ones that were a bit crazy, namely Multi-Team. Factors that hurt the game like bloom and whatnot took a backseat to the crazy, especially in stuff like KotH.

Thinking back, I found Infinity Slayer to feel a bit like Multi-Team in that there are far more variables at play than usual, but it feels like you have more control over your fate because of personal ordnance, armor mods and custom load outs. I kind of roamed around feeling like I could do my own thing in the maelstrom; you can really own your play style and feel like the game is rewarding you a bit for it. If the mode captures that feeling for everyone, it should be a huge success.

So he was joking?

Do you honestly read the thread?

We've known, pretty early on, that weapons will have to be unlocked before they can be used. The exceptions to this are in playlists where the required weapons will be given to you (Snipers, Griffball, SWAT or whatever it need be).

We've known, pretty early on, that weapons will have to be unlocked before they can be used. The exceptions to this are in playlists where the required weapons will be given to you (Snipers, Griffball, SWAT or whatever it need be).

True. But from my understanding, you unlock weapons as you progress through ranks. These weapons can be used in your loadouts. You have 5 loadouts. However each map/game-type pair has it's own 2 loadouts that all players have access to, even if you haven't unlocked the weapons it utilizes.

Talents

Banned

I do, but maybe I just missed it...

It's funny, I went through a streak of correctly guessing if a Mexican was in the game based purely on the Mexican connection instinct. It's its own unique breed of bizzaro land latency.
lol, I do the same thing. Playing the Mexican Hat Dance through party chat was a recurring meme for a while there that helped dissolve the rage. Now it fuels it.

Hell no. =P
What's it like from your perspective?

What's it like from your perspective?

The same actually, first seconds of the match then black screen then you know immediately the US team have host control so dont bother kill the host and kill the others but if the game chose one mexican then is hell in earth, it always chose the one with the worst conection.

Woorloog

Banned
True. But from my understanding, you unlock weapons as you progress through ranks. These weapons can be used in your loadouts. You have 5 loadouts. However each map/game-type pair has it's own 2 loadouts that all players have access to, even if you haven't unlocked the weapons it utilizes.

Wonder if we'll see all the selectable weapons in these, not just the AR, BR and DMR.

These pre-made loadouts are tailored for map/mode combos, no? I recall Frankie or someone hinting at that. So, wouldn't a Forerunner themed map have maybe the Suppressor in close quarters loadout and the Light Rifle for mid range loadout. And a Covenant themed map would have the Storm Rifle and the Carbine filling these roles, respectively.

Oh and we now know that some of the 15 primary weapons are merely skinned variants.
But what are the primary weapons?
AR
BR
DMR
Carbine
Storm Rifle
Suppressor
Light Rifle
Anything else? The Shotgun won't one, IIRC it was confirmed not to be a primary weapon but a power weapon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The same actually, first seconds of the match then black screen then you know immediately the US team have host control so dont bother kill the host and kill the others

You would be better off on US host than a Mexican one anyway, lol. Unless of course you pulled host on your 1 down/.5up dsl.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

I'd much rather play a Halo w/ a good population- a "competitive" Halo just wouldn't sell today. Reach had it's problems that stifled it's population (not being called 4- social progression was too few, too slow), but you'd still be hard pressed to find a current FPS that was more "competitive."

Competitive Halo thrived 5 years ago because they had a decent monopoly on the market.

Still believe adding more socially friendly aspects doesn't mean competitive needs to be removed- nor do I think it is.

Wonder if we'll see all the selectable weapons in these, not just the AR, BR and DMR.

These pre-made loadouts are tailored for map/mode combos, no?
Correct

Oh and we now know that some of the 15 primary weapons are merely skinned variants.
But what are the primary weapons?
AR
BR
DMR
Carbine
Storm Rifle
Suppressor
Light Rifle
Anything else? The Shotgun won't one, IIRC it was confirmed not to be a primary weapon but a power weapon.

Weapon skins count.

Primary:
Weapon skins count.
1. Assault Rifle
2. Assault Rifle (Predator)
3. Assault Rifle (Prime)
4. Battle Rifle
5. Battle Rifle (Dunes)
6. Battle Rifle (Arctic)
7. DMR
8. DMR (Noble)
9. Storm Rifle
10. Covenant Carbine
11. Covenant Carbine (Reign)
12. Suppressor
13. Suppressor (Shatter)
14. Light Rifle
15. Light Rifle (Imprint)

Secondary:
1. Magnum
2. Magnum (Static)
3. Plasma Pistol
4. Plasma Pistol (Fracture)
5. Boltshot
6. Boltshot (Piston)

Woorloog

Banned
Correct

Weapon skins count.

Primary:
Weapon skins count.
1. Assault Rifle
2. Assault Rifle (Predator)
3. Assault Rifle (Prime) Limited Edition
4. Battle Rifle
5. Battle Rifle (Dunes)
6. Battle Rifle (Arctic) Pre-order
7. DMR
8. DMR (Noble)
9. Storm Rifle
10. Covenant Carbine
11. Covenant Carbine (Reign)
12. Suppressor
13. Suppressor (Shatter)
14. Light Rifle
15. Light Rifle (Imprint)

Secondary:
1. Magnum
2. Magnum (Static)
3. Plasma Pistol
4. Plasma Pistol (Fracture)
5. Boltshot
6. Boltshot (Piston)
There ain't so many skins really, it seems. And two of the fifteen weapons are tied to pre-order or limited edition (bolded them).

EDIT No skin for Storm Rifle? Also, the only skin we haven't seen is the Light Rifle's skin, the rest are unlocked via specializations.

There ain't so many skins really, it seems. And two of the fifteen weapons are tied to pre-order or limited edition (bolded them).

I would hope that isn't all the skins. It would seem half-assed if there was just a couple skins, and they show up as different weapons. I hope they change it so you can choose the weapon, then a dropdown menu comes up with skin choices.

Woorloog

Banned
I would hope that isn't all the skins. It would seem half-assed if there was just a couple skins, and they show up as different weapons. I hope they change it so you can choose the weapon, then a dropdown menu comes up with skin choices.

Yeah, i'd imagine there are more and these are the only ones unlocked via specializations and/or pre-order and limited edition.
But the way they're listed indicates there are no more skins than these.
Wonder how it it is really.

EDIT regardless, i won't be using any skins for weapons, i haven't seen a single one i'd like so far. Bare weapons look better.

EDIT based on how weapons in previous Halos worked, extra skins are unique weapons in gamefiles, probably. Would explain the way they're listed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Haven't we been pretty much told that the PAX build was the final build? I may have misread that somewhere.

How much fun I have is fully dependant on how competitive the title is.

Getting boned by randomness is not my idea of fun.

Top Bottom