• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
I tried out Action Sack a few days ago for the first time and GODDAM it was awesome. I loved playing dodgeball on Sandbox.
Heh. I was thinking of that dodgeball map yesterday, and how that same gametype is going to be awesome playing as Elites who can dive out of the way.

I wonder if the bungie.net hotness goes live tomorrow or Monday.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
darkressurection said:
Quick question for you "top tier" HaloGAFfers, should I invest in getting a good pair of gaming headphones. I have about $80 in Amazon credit and am thinking about getting the Tritton AX180 headset. What do you guys think, is a headset money well spent?

I've got Sennheiser HD555's. They're just headphones(no mic and about 100$) but I can't play Halo without them now. I can't speak to the Tritton's you're looking at but generally I think headphones are the way to go. I hear people walking behind me, people dropping near by. I can hear exactly where shots are coming from.

And of course, hearing, "Flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken" while I'm running flags in Halo 3 never sounded so damn good :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
darkressurection said:
Quick question for you "top tier" HaloGAFfers, should I invest in getting a good pair of gaming headphones. I have about $80 in Amazon credit and am thinking about getting the Tritton AX180 headset. What do you guys think, is a headset money well spent?

I have the AX 720s and they are very nice. Only thing I don't like are all the wires. My friend has the 180s and says they work well.

darkressurection said:
Astro A40's

They are incredible. Expensive, but incredible.

Rowsdower said:
Isn't Action Sack a playlist dedicated to "wacky" customs? I don't have the required DLC so i've never played it, but that's what i get from the description. I don't see why they couldn't include something like that in Reach.
Action Sack's biggest problem is that it's limited to 4v4 and is frequently less than that. But yes, that plus the new veto system should be pretty decent.

Mo0

Son of Godzilla said:
the new veto system
God, I keep forgetting about this, it's going to be one of the most unsung features of the game.

Countless times I've gone "For god's sake, now that you've vetoed this, we're going to get Oddball on Valhalla."

*Oddball on Valhalla*

"See?"

Trasher

Devin Olsen said:
Astro A40's

They are incredible. Expensive, but incredible.
And I can vouch for the A30s as well. The MixAmp is where it's at too. Can't believe I played with such crappy sound for so long. Really makes the gaming experience so much better. Just make sure you use the right mic on the A30s. Right Domino? :)

Also, just upgraded to Bungie Pro. Now I can upload some hot Reach beta footage.

chess

Trasher said:
^^

Maybe I will switch to the Default control settings.

In general AA is more important than Jumps so default is perfect IMO and I'm a bumper jumper user.

Bumper Jumper staying the same and just switching equipment to AA is probably so purist or MLG types can keep the same controls and not care about AA since they likely won't use them. I can see them doing sprint though. If they do, then everyone will switch to default.

Tashi0106 said:
I've got Sennheiser HD555's. They're just headphones(no mic and about 100$) but I can't play Halo without them now. I can't speak to the Tritton's you're looking at but generally I think headphones are the way to go. I hear people walking behind me, people dropping near by. I can hear exactly where shots are coming from.

And of course, hearing, "Flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken" while I'm running flags in Halo 3 never sounded so damn good :D
IAWTP. I have the luxury of being able to choose between HD595's or a Klipsch 5.1 set-up. For actually getting your competitive, holy-shit-I-just-heard-that-guy-reload-and-knew-exactly-where-he-was Halo on, the Sennheisers are my preference. I would liken the Senns to being "inside the helmet" since they make it much easier to focus on important aural cues.

Tashi0106 said:

Same, absolutely love them, can't beat headphones. I have to switch to speakers so I can use my XBL mic though, glasses+headphones+XBL headset isn't very comfortable.

wwm0nkey

Ive posted so many comments and have done so many twitter follows in the past few days in an attempt to get into the F&F beta.

I swear its like a damn golden ticket :lol

Any ideas on how I can possibly repair a ridiculously scratched ODST disk? I've no idea how it got so bad, I didn't move the xbox when it was in, and I always put disks back into boxes carefully. It's got rings of scratches on the bottom, so I blame the xbox. I'm a student so I don't have money for a new or used one. Ideas?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:

Without them.

oompa-loompa-costumes-01a.jpg

Bungieware said:
Any ideas on how I can possibly repair a ridiculously scratched ODST disk? I've no idea how it got so bad, I didn't move the xbox when it was in, and I always put disks back into boxes carefully. It's got rings of scratches on the bottom, so I blame the xbox. I'm a student so I don't have money for a new or used one. Ideas?

Can you install it to HDD? Might not solve the problem but should let you play and use it in the mean time.

wwm0nkey said:
Ive posted so many comments and have done so many twitter follows in the past few days in an attempt to get into the F&F beta.

I used Twitter for more than ten seconds for the first time yesterday and was shocked the stupid thing doesn't auto-update like gmail does. I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE POINT OF THE FUCKING THING?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Bungieware said:

Toothpaste.

Physically removed the router and put it in my room to stop my housemates pirating and getting our connection throttled again.

I will not let them ruin this for me. :D

SpacLock

Where are you Frankie!? I need you right now!

Too bad you get an automatic invite to the Reach F&F Beta if you were in Halo 3's F&F.

Frankie? I'll make another cowbell Halo song!

I'm pumped!

Zeouterlimits said:
Physically removed the router and put it in my room to stop my housemates pirating and getting our connection throttled again.

I will not let them ruin this for me. :D
Nice, whilst at Uni I used to blacklist my pirating friend's IP after he went to sleep when I needed to play. :D

Koojay

SpacLock said:
Where are you Frankie!? I need you right now!

Too bad you get an automatic invite to the Reach F&F Beta if you were in Halo 3's F&F.

Frankie? I'll make another cowbell Halo song!

I'm pumped!

WHAT?

Top Bottom