• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Doodis said:
If it must end so soon, at least I'll be able to jump right into Alan Wake.

Yeah I'm torn, if that is the end date, then I get jump into Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and finish JC2. But then again, I wanted the beta to last longer to enjoy it more and so that it is less of a wait until Crackdown 2.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not even a full month. :|

eIII9.jpg

9aECL.jpg

OaWFR.jpg

The last one is acceptance.

GhaleonEB said:
You have a fascinating definition of "meltdown". I'm interested in understanding the Arena system, and there was clearly a great deal of confusion on it in the thread. I'm a visual thinker, so I make a diagram and ask for clarification. That's a "meltdown"? As far as I can tell, eveyone is quite calm.

so... did we ever get a definitive answer? are only the top 3 games what count or do all games count equally?

GhaleonEB

Look on the bright side. With the Beta already on Live, at least you know it will actually download at the appointed time. The Crackdown/Halo 3 Beta bug was one epic clusterfuck.

JdFoX187 said:
It is "Friends and family," not like you won't get into the Beta next week. Unless a Crackdown scenario happens again.

i'm assuming that when bungie talks about having fewer it directly relates to how 'easy' it is to get into this beta as opposed to 3's. last time it required a completely unrelated and unknown $60 purchase. now the barrier to entry is a (currently) $30 game that most halo fans who would want to play in the beta have already bought anyway, regardless of whether or not there was beta.

that said, it would be choice if shacknews or hdroom came through for me. the fiance will be off having an unexpected girls weekend and 2 days of beta would be sweet indeed.

Microsoft must have had some input on date surely, considering Alan Wake comes out on the May 18. I mean they would be foolish to let Bungie have complete control over the gaming lives of what is expected to be 3 million of their user base, wouldn't they?

2 weeks?! Really?

So I guess I got it right after all.

This is clearly just a balancing Beta and nothing more. Get the weapon balance right, because the cheaters/hackers/glitchers usually take a fair bit longer than 2 weeks to get their claws in.

Damn.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
2 weeks?! Really?

So I guess I got it right after all.

This is clearly just a balancing Beta and nothing more. Get the weapon balance right, because the cheaters/hackers/glitchers usually take a fair bit longer than 2 weeks to get their claws in.

Damn.

Hmm thats true, Modern Warfare 2 had millions of people playing and I dont think the first glitch was found almost a month until after release.

Louis Wu

Devin Olsen said:
That seems quite short... Especially considering all of the game types won't go online until the 14th.

Oh well, can't really complain.
Invasion (the last holdout) goes live on the 7th, not the 14th.

Edit: hmm, did I miss an announcement that Generator Defense doesn't start till the 14th?

Edit 2: Yep, I guess I did. nm.

Bungieware said:
I mean they would be foolish to let Bungie have complete control over the gaming lives of what is expected to be 3 million of their user base, wouldn't they?
My secret truth is that I was pretty burnt out on the Halo 3 beta after about a week. But that was mostly because the stupid thing was only 2 player splitscreen and playing hot potatoe with controllers is lame.

Mo0

Son of Godzilla said:
The only solution is for everyone to stage a massive sit-out and not play for the first two weeks, forcing them to expand it to a full third.
I hope you're kidding, because that makes no sense. Sit out for two weeks so you can play for one week?

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Invasion (the last holdout) goes live on the 7th, not the 14th.

Network Test 1 | Players: 3v3 | Max Party Size: 3 | Launch Date: May 14 | Gametypes: Generator Defense​

Generator Defense brings up the rear a week later.

19th is fine by me, 2 weeks and 2 days worth of love with a chance of even more love if bungie need to give it.

Kind of what I was expecting anyway, were all of you thinking 30th or something? :lol

Magni

The 19th? Fuck, I won't be online the last weekend (four day weekend too), I've got a sailing competition that weekend. And a paper in Japanese, another in Calculus, an oral presentation of my internship to prepare, the DELE exam.. fuuu, unless I get in the F&F I won't be playing much Reach..

edit: If the full game ships with tons of bugs in the MP, I'll blame it on the short beta :lol

Damn, now F&F really does seem like a golden ticket.
Wren said:
Just out of curiosity when the beta ends what happens to the game client? Does it self delete or can you keep the unusable data?
The latter, I imagine. You could keep the Halo 3 beta forever.

Loam

Just out of curiosity when the beta ends what happens to the game client? Does it self delete or can you keep the unusable data?

Wren said:
You'll be able to boot into the main menu, but everything else will be locked out.

Trasher

Wren said:
I know people who still have the Halo 3 beta on their hard drives. I deleted mine just a month ago.

Wren said:

The Halo 3 beta stayed on the box, no fancy Mission Impossible stuff there. Who knows if its the same for Reach though, its unlikely it would self delete thats for sure.

P.S. Can we get that music from that Birth of a Spartan Ad?

"This message will self destruct when you read it".

zewone

GhaleonEB said:
Look on the bright side. With the Beta already on Live, at least you know it will actually download at the appointed time. The Crackdown/Halo 3 Beta bug was one epic clusterfuck.
Not true. The H3 beta was on Live before the Crackdown shit too. That's how people were playing with their F&F codes.

Wizpig

I guess every now and then when I'll have some free time I will play this since it's this short.
More Halo Reach and less Street Fighter for me it seems.

Not a Jellyfish said:
It is their "current target end date" meaning there is still a chance it will get extended. We shall see though.
Yep.
bobs99 ... said:
Thanks for the link.

When will they unveil the new Bnet Hawtness!??
I'm curious, too.

Popeck

Noes. The short (target) duration me even more uncomfortable with the uncertainty of actually getting a F&F code.

But Aisha! They did show that particular video to us at the preview event. That video is more mainstream than the latest Vidoc for sure.

Magni

Wren said:

I really hope we can keep it and watch our saved films.

GhaleonEB

zewone said:
Not true. The H3 beta was on Live before the Crackdown shit too. That's how people were playing with their F&F codes.
Ah, that's right. I'd forgotten that it was a bug specific to the Crackdown implementation, not with the Beta on Live
because I was busy playing via the F&F code
. Still, the ODST method of download has been tested with the Intel menu content already released, so it should go smoother.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's short, but somehow I expected it, the last one was just 3 weeks I think...

I was lucky to get into the Friends & Family period so it was all good for me though...

Top Bottom