• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Nice thread GhaleonEB, brings back memories man. Looking forward to running with all you guys again for a bit during the beta.

Gui_PT said:
Yeah, these look awful
assasinationSpartan.gif

Are you serious? How does that look bad?
I think he meant "bad" in the sense that teabagging has sexual connotations, and the Elite ramming a glowing dildo into the, uh, back of the Spartan takes it to the next level.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:
I think he meant "bad" in the sense that teabagging has sexual connotations, and the Elite ramming a glowing dildo into the, uh, back of the Spartan takes it to the next level.

Oh. If that's the case, I apologize for not having a perverted mind :lol

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Oh. If that's the case, I apologize for not having a perverted mind :lol
Yeah. In the GTTV footage analysis video, the guy says that the Elite is using either a plasma dagger, or a rectal thermometer/probe. Not sure which. :lol

Salz01

So if I rent ODST at Blockbuster next week ,will I have access to the Beta? Or do I have to go buy a copy, and insert a code from an insert?

(I dont have ODST anymore)

GhaleonEB

Salz01 said:
So if I rent ODST at Blockbuster next week ,will I have access to the Beta? Or do I have to go buy a copy, and insert a code from an insert?

(I dont have ODST anymore)
It's part of the menu, no code needed. However, it needs to be launched from the ODST menu, so you can't rent it, download the Beta, and return it and still play the Beta. You'll need to hang on to ODST while the Beta runs.
The Lamonster said:
Awesome OP, Ghal. Found a typo though:
That's what I get for writing the post mostly late at night. Thanks, fix'd.

Najaf

Shake Appeal said:

This.

The great thing about assassination is that a team mate can save your ass and shut his mouth.

No one can save you from teabagging, you're already dead.

Well, of course there will be people assassinating and teabagging.:lol

Lunchbox

Banned
controlsbungie.jpg

wtf is this shit. they took bumper jumper and took out the JUMP from the Bumper......

the real bumper jumper better switch A with LB

A = armor
LB = Jump

Najaf

metareferential said:
The great thing about assassination is that a team mate can save your ass and shut his mouth.

I believe it was in one of Bungie's podcasts that I heard that they are fighting tea-bagging by cutting the camera away immediately following death. So if someone does choose to tea-bag, the victim will be none the wiser.

Oh man I hope I can verbally assault my opponent when I'm assassinating them and they have to listen.

That'll be awesome until I'm doing it and one of his teammates saves him and they kill me. Total Backfire :lol

Raide

metareferential said:

Some team mates will wait for their team mate to get killed, just so they can have revenge and get in a secondary teabag. :lol

Like a Teabagging train. Execute, hump, get executed, return the hump, :lol

Salz01

GhaleonEB said:
It's part of the menu, no code needed. However, it needs to be launched from the ODST menu, so you can't rent it, download the Beta, and return it and still play the Beta. You'll need to hang on to ODST while the Beta runs.

Thank you.

derFeef

Does HaloGAF (or EuroHaloGAF) use mics? I never used a mic on my 360 as I do not have much friends to play with over Live. I do not want to anger people because I do not talk.

edit:
<- OMG Member :D

Raide said:
Some team mates will wait for their team mate to get killed, just so they can have revenge and get in a secondary teabag. :lol

Like a Teabagging train. Execute, hump, get executed, return the hump, :lol

Lol people will equip sprint just so they can get to the party faster and be ready for the enemy assassination to be over :lol

derFeef said:
Does HaloGAF (or EuroHaloGAF) use mics? I never used a mic on my 360 as I do not have much friends to play over Live. I do not want to anger people because I do not talk.

edit:
<- OMG Member :D
Yes, most do.
And congratulations, now feel pointless in life until you know the secrets of a platinum GAF account.

Shake Appeal said:
You may have just opened up an untapped market for Halo sex toys.

The Elite - "when one finger just isn't enough"

The Brute - "because everyone has 30 seconds to spare"

Mythic - "dual wield, baby!"

Najaf said:
This equals an instant mute in my book.

Thats fine with me, your on the other team anyway.

And I'm not talking super vulgar or anything, just poking fun at them while they are stuck in the animation. All in good fun.

Najaf

xDangerboy said:
Thats fine with me, your on the other team anyway.

And I'm not talking super vulgar or anything, just poking fun at them while they are stuck in the animation. All in good fun.

Good man. Your initial statement gave me the chills; thoughts of one million 14 year olds dropping racial and homophobic slurs in my headset. *cringe*

I am all for some friendly trash talking.

Raide

xDangerboy said:
Lol people will equip sprint just so they can get to the party faster and be ready for the enemy assassination to be over :lol

I can see the RedVsBlue videos already. :lol

GhaleonEB

Gamespot has their article up, which has some nice shots of the Boneyard layout (IGN and a few others didn't post these two, though Kotaku did). I'll add them to the OP when I find some with less odious watermarks.

960512_042110_790screen001.jpg
960512_042110_790screen002.jpg

Looks like the ship serves as a divider of sorts between the front and back half of the map.

squidhands said:
You may have just opened up an untapped market for Halo sex toys.
I think when Frankie was talking about certain directions of Halo marketing being "too much", this is what he was referring to.

Najaf said:
Good man. Your initial statement gave me the chills; thoughts of one million 14 year olds dropping racial and homophobic slurs in my headset. *cringe*

I am all for some friendly trash talking.

Yeah, its probably gonna get pretty nasty with the majority of players. I just hope my frail self-esteem can take it. :lol

chess

Lunchbox said:
wtf is this shit. they took bumper jumper and took out the JUMP from the Bumper......

A = armor
LB = Jump

That would be worse than just having to use A to jump again. Be tough to change direction sprinting or aim while jet packing while holding A down. AA pretty much has to be a bumper.

GhaleonEB said:

Looks like the ship serves as a divider of sorts between the front and back half of the map.
Wow, Boneyard looks absolutely incredible... I can't wait to try this map out myself... I feel like despite the reveals and game-play videos (GTtv) we still have no idea of the real scale of Boneyard.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nutter said:
Can we change the control scheme in the beta? Or are we going to be forced to learn the new way :p

I certainly hope we can change it. I'd bet that Bungie will allow us to change it in the Beta.

Also, great OP Ghal. Nice work. Banners from M0dus are sexy too! Great job.

That screen with the Warthog and the laser firing is fuckin hawt! I can't wait to start assassinating people in the beta as well, it just looks too awesome.

I was just thinking too. In Halo 3, I didn't give a shit about changing my armor. I didn't care doing the necessary stuff to unlock any armor. I was default all the way though. For Reach however, I'm going to be getting credits just by playing the game. I'll eventually have a ton saved up and I'll more than likely make my Spartan look awesome. That's actually pretty exciting when I think about it.

SpudBud

GhaleonEB said:
Gamespot has their article up, which has some nice shots of the Boneyard layout (IGN and a few others didn't post these two, though Kotaku did). I'll add them to the OP when I find some with less odious watermarks.

960512_042110_790screen001.jpg

I really like the look of this map. It kind of reminds me of the storm.

Awesome OP yet again. Not that I haven't been counting down the days but I think the wait is going to get even more difficult now that this thread is up.:lol

Tashi

Najaf said:
Forgive my ignorance, but is the designated marksman rifle a single shot weapon?

Correct.

Read the 1up article. Always well done by Jeremy Parish. Good read.

GhaleonEB said:
Baby looks gooood.
Would love the chance to explore it, wonder complicated the accessible innards of the decommissioned ship are.

Insaniac

I'd like to say one thing: god bless Bungie and their love of 4 player split screen.

two things: its been a long while since I've seen all you guys since the original halo 3 thread died. I haven't really posted in the reach thread at all, hope you're all still haloing and doing well in general :)

Any idea if there's gonna be a forge or something similar?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lunchbox said:
controlsbungie.jpg

A = armor
LB = Jump

Is this the defined setup? I would like my melee back on B....

GhaleonEB

That Gamespot article as the single best description of Invasion I've seen yet. All the rest of the articles I've read so far skipped important details, such as which parts of the map unlock and how many territories it takes to unlock them.

If you're looking for something a little less hectic than headhunter or even stockpile, then the invasion six-on-six match type might be more your speed. There's an invasion-specific map in the Reach beta called Boneyard--a UNSC destruction and smelting facility. In fact, the map features a UNSC carrier in the process of being dismantled before its components are taken to the smelter located just beyond it. Still, that might not really convey the size of this map until you learn how invasion factors into it. Essentially, invasion works in three tiers. In the first tier, the Elites have to make their way toward the UNSC ship being guarded by Spartans and infiltrate it. Once inside, the team of Elites has to deactivate a series of laser-guarded doors by taking and holding specific points in the ship. In the second tier, the Elites have to make their way to the smelter (crossing a large open area) and deactivate the barriers guarding a data core. Lastly, the third tier requires the Elites to take the data core and run it to a phantom located near an elevated platform outside the smelting facility. Multiplayer design lead Chris Carney described the structure best as a game of, "territory, territory, and then capture the flag."

The first tier works best with a simple defense strategy for the Spartans. Holding the line in the ship and guarding the two positions that Elites can use to unlock the barrier is far more effective than leaving the ship to engage the Elites outside. In the second tier, vehicles come into play (unfortunately, none of the new vehicles from Reach are available, but there are plenty of old ones to use ranging from warthogs for the Spartans to ghosts for the Elites), which makes it a little harder to defend strategic points from the Elites. As for the third tier, players on both sides have access to more loadouts and more vehicles than they did before (they unlock as the match progresses), so the action gets pretty intense. As mentioned before, this is one mode where it pays to have some strategy for both sides. Elites seem to have more success when they keep a few team members back to snipe Spartans roaming in the large open area, while Spartans can gain the upper hand by using the warthog and later the scorpion tank in an effective manner.

Tashi

Najaf said:
Will do. I have not visited 1up in a long time.

lol, I wasn't telling you to read it. I was just giving my impressions. :lol It's ok, it's a good read anyway.

And I've actually gotten used to say DMR rather than new BR. In game though, when I dookie on someone, I don't think I'll be saying, "out DMR'd". "Out BR'd" sounds too good" :D

Nutter

The Lamonster said:
:lol DMR

Why can't they just call it the BR?? I dont see XBL players saying DMR instead.
That is ok, I forsee it being called, Redeemer, Deemer, Doomer, Donger, Domer. No Need to say DMR.

Or hell, it can be called DR, just for ease of saying get out DR'd. :p

Najaf

Tashi0106 said:
lol, I wasn't telling you to read it. I was just giving my impressions. :lol It's ok, it's a good read anyway.

And I've actually gotten used to say DMR rather than new BR. In game though, when I dookie on someone, I don't think I'll be saying, "out DMR'd". "Out BR'd" sounds too good" :D

And here I'm thinking you are recommending a solid read. I was wondering why you did not give a link. :lol

Top Bottom