• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Kapura

Banned
Got off of work to discover there is a distinct lack of BWU. also realized that I'll never see it fresh after today, as my shift ends about three hours past when we usually see BWUs. However, Bungie Podcast downloaded. You win this round, internet.

ManCannon

The media visit ran about 2 hours longer than expected so I didn't even get to START cobbling anything together until nearly 7pm PDT. In any case, my work here is finally done. BWU060410

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have been out of the loop, but at least I'm not the only one who realized that there was no WU.

Domino Theory said:
You never really know what you have until urk's gone.

Wait...why is he gone?

ManCannon said:
The media visit ran about 2 hours longer than expected so I didn't even get to START cobbling anything together until nearly 7pm PDT. In any case, my work here is finally done. BWU060410
<3 Thank You

:lol I read "ZBR" as "zee BR" (like the BR) until it was clarified as being Zero Bug Release.

edit:
Speaking of customization, while your personalized armor will be visible throughout every aspect of the campaign, don’t expect to be sporting your Legendary Edition flaming helmet during cinematic moments. You can light up throughout the campaign (and multiplayer) but the flames will be temporarily doused during the cinematics.
That is pretty awesome that you can rock the flaming armor during the full SP... Wonder what the reasoning is for it being turned off in cinematic though.

double edit:
P.S. Congrats on high school graduation, Dax!
Nice job, Dax!

ManCannon

GhaleonEB said:
I never even got a lock of his hair to remember him by. :(

It's true that Urk has spoiled every last one of you. He gets his updates out consistently earlier than any of his predecessors ever did. I know there were times in the old days when Matt's updates would technically not hit Friday in any U.S. time zone but still qualified in other parts of the world.

You'll get it when you get it and you'll like it! :D

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:
ITS' NOT MY FAULT URK IS TWO BUSY WITH HIS MOM TOO EDIT MY WERDZ
SPELLCHECK. You need urk to give you a tutorial on word when he gets back ;) Then you'll understand things like ctrl+a, ctrl+b.

316uov7.jpg

OMG! <3 Bungie.

Blueblur1

Okay, I'll admit that after reading Brian's update I got excited. I'm on my way back to the train station and will probably be boarding the hype train after seeing the Reach E3 media.

Still <3 u, urk

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
It's true that Urk has spoiled every last one of you. He gets his updates out consistently earlier than any of his predecessors ever did. I know there were times in the old days when Matt's updates would technically not hit Friday in any U.S. time zone but still qualified in other parts of the world.

You'll get it when you get it and you'll like it! :D
Heh, I was more ribbing Urk than rushing you. :)

Fantastic update. The depth of the new Service Record is lovely and quite unexpected, and the Commendations display exactly what I was hoping to see. The progress of each is crystal clear, and it's well organized. I can't for the life of me figure out what all the other Armory slots could be. Gauntlets? Thigh Guards? Boots? Codpiece?

And thanks for working late on our behalf, and for including the detail on the development process. I love stuff like that.

Feel free to usurp Urk any time. :D

Blueblur1

GhaleonEB said:
Heh, I was more ribbing Urk than rushing you. :)

Fantastic update. The depth of the new Service Record is lovely and quite unexpected, and the Commendations display exactly what I was hoping to see. I can't for the life of me figure out what all the other Armory slots could be. Gauntlets? Thigh Guards? Boots? Codpiece?

Feel free to usurp Urk any time. :D

And thanks for working late on our behalf.
I couldn't agree more. You have my thanks as well, Brian.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just wish there was a shot consistency indicator on bungie.net to show you where you are mostly hitting your enemies. Kind of like what Socom had/has, with the silhouette and marks.

I know it seems like a small thing, but little things like that could help people improve their game.

JMizzlin

Bungie Update said:
This screen in particular is dynamically sorting the user’s Commendation progress, elevating the most advanced Commendations to the top of the screen. In this case, the user has only played multiplayer matchmaking, but if they had Commendation progress in other modes, those would be sprinkled throughout this screen.

but if they had Commendation progress in other modes

other modes

:D
Firefight

GhaleonEB

Butane123 said:
After all of the crotch bugs (ewwww) we saw tonight, I'm expecting nothing less.
Yeah, those were hilarious. I imagined the flexing pose when ranking up and suddenly zooming in on the crotch. :lol

My daughter thinks the Armory slot under Chest is "Belt". It's the right length, and next up in the top to bottom sequencing.
Eye Drop said:
:D
Firefight
And also, Campaign. Maybe even Forge. :D

Also, I hope some of these customization options will be visible in first person.

I think that this is one of the few things MW2 nailed: being able to see customization on your model before you die. While I doubt you will be able to spawn with garish red paint on your weapons, something that is visible during gameplay before you get brainpanned, such as gauntlets and forearm armor, would be nice.

Merguson

Banned
Thanks for the update!

Also, asses and knees were unfortunately unprotected in the beta, but now we have knee guards, does that mean..

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, those were hilarious. I imagined the flexing pose when ranking up and suddenly zooming in on the crotch. :lol

My daughter thinks the Commendation slot under Chest is "Belt". It's the right length, and next up in the top to bottom sequencing.

And also, Campaign. Maybe even Forge. :D

I was thinking that too.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

My daughter thinks the Armory slot under Chest is "Belt". It's the right length, and next up in the top to bottom sequencing.

:lol

I would love to see belts, specifically, the Halo 1 belt with all of the pouches and pockets. Also: Han Solo belt.

So good.

EDIT:
thepackage.png
TOD.png

Would use the first one myself, but that wouldn't be fair. :lol . Second one will probably be done better by someone else.

Blueblur1

Before I forget, this had me almost rolling on the floor.

Brian's Weekly Update said:
The second crotch-related offense was supplied by Chris Carney who apparently plays internally under the hilariously ironic moniker, "Big Dude."

It can't be true. :lol

Eye Drop said:
Campaign, yes. I didn't really think about Forge, but that would be incredible!

I want to see Firefight. I need that mode, I'm obsessed with it :lol

By the way:

BWU said:
I got to see something new, something that emits arcs of lightning that crackle and radiate outward, splintering into smaller bolts as it hits the ground. Imagine a mysterious awesome vehicle that’s powered by a violent thunder storm. Yeah, awesome.

GhaleonEB

metareferential said:
By the way:
Yeah, he managed to tease a new map, an new vehicle (Covenant) and a new "biped" - either native Reach life or an enemy.

Another aspect I really want to see fleshed out:

Bungie-Reveals-Halo-Reachs-All-Encompassing-Player-Investment-System.jpg

Like Achievements in perpetuity. I'm actually kind of concerned that the Challenges are going to utterly destroy me.

neoism

Dax01 said:
When it comes to DLC, and given how Bungie is approaching MP maps this time around, I think we'll mainly be given asymmetrical MP maps in the game, then mostly symmetrical MP maps for DLC.
I hope it's a mix of the two, plus include 3 firefight maps, or at least two, for a total of 5 maps per pack, at $15. For a (Bungie)Halo game, I'd be OK with that. Only if FF has MM, which it
better bungle, or else.
:p:D

Merguson

Banned
HELMET
LEFT SHOULDER
RIGHT SHOULDER
CHEST
BACK
BELTS
THIGH GUARDS
KNEE GUARDS
CALF GUARDS
SPARTAN SETS (Once you unlocked all necessary pieces, you can chose to select the full set.. like Recon.. COC..)

That's my guess.. although some words might not match the length of the blurred words.

Top Bottom