• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cuban Legend said:
Since E3 is coming, will unmarked campaign spoilers be allowed in the Reach thread?

as I don't want anything to spoil Campaign for me at all... I can deal with multiplayer/forge & possibly firefight spoilers.

A spoiler is still a spoiler, not everyone is going to look at E3 coverage. I imagine the rules would remain the same.

Dirtbag

Typically anything revealed at an E3 presser will be fair game to speak about openly (along with whatever Bungie decides to show pre-release).
There will be no spoiler tags for what is shown.
If you want to go completely dark on Reach, stay out of the threads from E3 on.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Cuban Legend said:
Since E3 is coming, will unmarked campaign spoilers be allowed in the Reach thread?

as I don't want anything to spoil Campaign for me at all... I can deal with multiplayer/forge & possibly firefight spoilers.

No, they won't. The new thread will be going live in a few days, maybe less. There will be guidelines posted for spoilers, but anything related to the story or characters will need to be marked and hidden at all times. Features and game modes won't be spoilered however.

The only Campaign spoilers allowed will be the material publicly demonstrated or shown off at E3 - that information will be everywhere and is considered fair game. All of the E3 information will be summarised in the OP at all times so you'll know what's up.

Dirtbag

People aren't going to get banned for talking about E3 reveals in relation to Reach.
It's just not going to happen, I know I personally will not spoiler tag anything I see from it.

rar

Diablohead said:
Do not want.

Fun map in H3 beta and for a while in retail but I hate the map, it's open but should have had more rocks about, also boring layout.

base is much too small & claustrophobic as well

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dirtbag said:
People aren't going to get banned for talking about E3 reveals in relation to Reach.
It's just not going to happen, I know I personally will not spoiler tag anything I see from it.

Sorry, I hit the Reply button mid post. Yeah, anything shown at E3 is fair game but any additional information gleamed from interviews or leaked or whatever, should be hidden and marked if it relates to the story.

KevinRo

Dirtbag said:
Valhalla is one of the best maps in all of the Halos.

Oh yeah, couldn't agree more!

Obviously a perfectly made evolution of the horrible, and busted map Coagulation.

A+++ to Bungie for deciding to not re-rehash a 10 year old, dilapidated, horribly flowing map.

Thank god for Valhalla.

/slit wrists

Striker

I would to have Coag on Reach. Of course modifications would ensue and it'll change, similarly how Blood Gulch went to Coagulation. I would insist that Jetpacks are removed, and we're left with Sprint, Armor Lock, and Camo (unless there's more) and it would be back to basics. It would work with some health packs as well.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag said:
Aye. My take - the one I'll ask to be enforced - is anything Bungie chooses to reveal pre-release is not a spoiler. If they want to talk about a few campaign missions and the story that takes place within them, we'll discuss it openly.

When the French Leak(TM) happens, anything that was not revealed - be they features or story or encounters or what not - should be tagged.

If you want to go into Reach blind, do not participate in a thread in which people are discussing the latest revelations and announcements about the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
Typically anything revealed at an E3 presser will be fair game to speak about openly (along with whatever Bungie decides to show pre-release).
There will be no spoiler tags for what is shown.
If you want to go completely dark on Reach, stay out of the threads from E3 on.

Probably a good point, most people who don't want spoilers probably wouldn't be in threads like this in the first place.

Dirtbag

This is the one time I don't think I care about spoilers. I mean we already know what happens to Reach. I'm sure the story will have its own uniqueness to it, but for once I'm really not that concerned.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
This is the one time I don't think I care about spoilers. I mean we already know what happens to Reach. I'm sure the story will have its own uniqueness to it, but for once I'm really not that concerned.

Yeah, but in regards to Noble team I'm sure there will be some surprises.

Dirtbag said:
I just remember playing Halo PC story after being told about getting the game, with ZERO prior knowledge of it, having it be my first PC FPS... The result was an experience that was untainted by prior knowledge of the story or even gameplay and the exhilaration of the new unknown experience was a very rare occurrence for me.

I just want that for Reach. Imagine how imaginative the story and character development, gameplay and setting for the game would have to be like to make it a worthwhile hats off to Halo, when we already know the ending of the game's canonical scenario.

So few things in this internet driven world are true surprises anymore, I want to experience the wonderment I did with Halo PC all over again. When E3 hits, I'll probably bid adieu to HaloGAF's Reach until Launch Party Thread night when I finish Reach.

Dirtbag

Cuban Legend said:
I just remember playing Halo PC story after being told about getting the game, with ZERO prior knowledge of it, having it be my first PC FPS... The result was an experience that was untainted by prior knowledge of the story or even gameplay and the exhilaration of the new unknown experience was a very rare occurrence for me.

I just want that for Reach. Imagine how imaginative the story and character development, gameplay and setting for the game would have to be like to make it a worthwhile hats off to Halo, when we already know the ending of the game's canonical scenario.

So few things in this internet driven world are true surprises anymore, I want to experience the wonderment I did with Halo PC all over again. When E3 hits, I'll probably bid adieu to HaloGAF's Reach until Launch Party Thread night when I finish Reach.

Yeah I think you've got no choice but to bail. Honestly though, I'm to a point in this section of the Halo storyline where very little would fill me with awe and wonderment outside of some sort of forerunner encounter. I think Halo 4 will be the setting for a more unique halo experience, and I picture Reach to be more of the ultimate mix of past halos for the final say in the halo campaign structure. But hey, I do like surprises.. and
fighting human rebels on reach
would make for some fun
3 way battles again.
. Hope it happens

Just read the Bungie Weekly Update. Had to work the night shift last night so I just got around to it. Good stuff. Can't wait to see what Bungie has in store for E3. Looking forward to seeing new stuff from single-player.

Hows the HaloGAF Reach Beta Montage going? Sorry I don't stop into the thread more often HaloGAF, I'm pretty busy. Working full time, I'm running for public office, I'm in a band, I'm working with a friend to get a fancy new gaming website up and running, I have a gym schedule I don't like to mess with and I try to play games too...Get's a little busy sometimes...Anyway, hows that montage coming?

Dirtbag

Mayyhem said:
It'll always be between Halo: CE's Hang Em' High and Halo 2's Lockout when it comes to best halo maps for me

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=20586037&postcount=22143

My thoughts:

Dirtbag said:
My Rankings (Insomnia and I'm bored)
note: I haven't played Halo3 hardly at all since the last map pack was added, so I'm not placing those last 3 maps in my list

The Best

1.Lockout
2.Midship
3.Valhalla
4.Sanctuary
5.Chill Out
6.Hang'em High
7.Zanzibar
8.Avalanche
9.Ivory Tower
10.Coagulation
11.Colossus
12.High Ground
13.Ascension
14.Damnation
15.The Pit
16.Blood Gulch
17.Ghost Town
18.Headlong
19.Turf
20.Warlock
21.Beaver Creek (I'm sure this is low for alot of you guys, but this is where I'd put it for me)
22.Prisoner
23.Standoff
EDIT: Derelict
24.Assembly (just a little too confusing at times to rank higher)
25.Burial Mounds (IMO the most overrated MP in all of halo, all I remember were stalemates in assault and a fucking wraith variant, but it was hella fun for slayer / 1 flag)
26.Relic
27.Terminal
28.Containment
29.Waterworks
30.Guardian (one of my favorite looking maps however)
31.Cold Storage (1 BR c'mon?)
32.Last Resort
33.Construct
34.Rat's Nest
35.Longest
36.Sidewinder
37.Blackout

Worst Halo Maps ever:
1.Chiron XL - was this just an office joke? Seriously WTF were they thinking.
2.Isolation
3.Backwash - the original Isolation
4.Gemini
5.Orbital
6.Sandtrap
7.Epitaph
8.Foundry - it's just so awkward of a default layout.
9.Snowbound - the removal of some shield doors was definitely an improvement though
10.Rat Race - I hated this map, no nostalgia glasses here.

Dirtbag said:
My thoughts:

I think I'd agree that Burial Mounds was my least favorite Halo map of all time. Every single objective game was a stalemate and it seemed to pop up in Halo 2 Matchmaking FAR too often.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I need the following achievements in Halo 2 Vista.

Violent Cartographer
Play every available default map and stay in each game until it’s over

Rainman
Play every available game variant, with at least 3 other players, to the end of each game

Skewer Stopper
Kill the sword carrier after they kill 5 or more times in a row with the sword

Decorated Soldier
Get awarded at least 8 different medals in one non-team game

Who wants to help me get them?

RIGHT NOW

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
NameGenerated said:
Yes? The maps seem similar enough to me.
They're not. Blackout is not nearly as bad as some here think (I've had some epic 3v3 CTF Fast games on it), but it ain't Lockout by any means.

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
The Halo storyline is stupid and I wouldn't have cared if anyone told me Buck hooked up with that ugly dude in the end and you protected a pink squid to save the world. But Halo's always had some awesome settings and scenarios and that's the only thing I'd not want spoiled. I'll read all the previews and whatnot but I just hope they don't go all Halo 3 on us and reveal some of the crazier things like the scarab.

Dirtbag said:
Valhalla is one of the best maps in all of the Halos.
After playing 680 games on the map I have to agree. Of course bringing it to Reach they'd make plenty of changes but if they choose to port it I hope they change some of its fundamentals. The hill is far too easy to hold which makes it frustrating for slayer matches. If it was easier to assault from the turret side by adding more cover or elevating that side I think it'd play much better. Other than that, 2 flag CTF on Valhalla is BTB at its finest. Halo 2 has some asymmetrical BTB maps that give it a run for its money but its harder to make those comparisons.

EazyB said:
The Halo storyline is stupid
If you're strictly speaking about the games, then you may have a case. But if you're including the books in that, this statement is pretty weak. Seeing as how Reach looks like it'll include some of the elements of the books, I think it's relevant to mention the books.

Edit:
rar said:
the books are pretty terrible too
No they're not.
See? I can do it too.

rar

Dax01 said:
If you're strictly speaking about the games, then you may have a case. But if you're including the books in that, this statement is pretty weak. Seeing as how Reach looks like it'll include some of the elements of the books, I think it's relevant to mention the books.

Striker

I loved every single one of Halo 2's BTB maps; while a map like Containment isn't on the level of Terminal, Coagulation, or Headlong, it still was a good match to be used for straight objectives like Neutral Bomb, Multi-Bomb, and Multi-CTF. Plus great games from Waterworks, Relic, and rarity 1-CTF/1-Bomb matches in Zanzibar and Burial Mounds. Avalanche and Valhalla were two solid maps, but had their issues with me. Really disliked Avalanche's mid-section; felt too forced and the Shotgun room promoted camping. Valhalla being crunched made spawn killing and controlling the hill easy, thus controlling the game, notably in Slayer.

Certain of those maps can be re-created in some form. Disabling Jetpacks and you can roll with the other three AA's and not a big change will occur for the maps. I would just love a map redesigned similarly to Terminal and another for Coagulation.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
rar said:
Whilst they are far from literary classics, they are licensed products that flesh out the universe and tell interesting stories and most of them do that job very well. The books are designed to fit a very specific niche and are obviously not for everyone.

Dirtbag

NameGenerated said:
1. Lockout
37. Blackout

huh?
I didn't think Blackout worked with the halo 3 sandbox, and I thought some of the changes really hurt the map. If Lockout was IMO the best map in halo history, then its bastard child is a disgrace to its legacy.

GhaleonEB

KS Seven X said:
12. High Ground
15. The Pit
17. Ghost Town
21. Beaver Creek

Explain....
Or, don't. Everyone's favorite map will be at the bottom of someone's list, and everyone's most hated map will at the top for someone else. (Personally, I love Valhalla and hate Lockout.) Besides, those lists are so one locked thread ago.

Striker

Dirtbag said:
I didn't think Blackout worked with the halo 3 sandbox, and I thought some of the changes really hurt the map. If Lockout was IMO the best map in halo history, then its bastard child is a disgrace to its legacy.
I think radar hurt the map the most. Lockout wasn't too hurt by it because of certain jumps that can be made and you can take somebody down quicker, at least I could have, with a dual wielding SMG+Pistol or SMG+Plasma Rifle than Halo 3's Assault Rifle. Lack of rifles on the map also stings, because not even a great team can lock down that map with certain weapons in hand and their locations. Also never favored equipment on that map - never felt right.

It's hard to actually rank the Halo series maps all together, because some are for Slayer, some built for CTF, and others large enough for 6v6 or higher. Orbital and Default Foundry can rot in hell, though.

Top Bottom