• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
It's as if the previous Halo titles were just the hops and steps and Reach is the jump :p
hopscotch-on-a-roof.jpg

feel

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Hence why I said for once.

Modern Warfare 1, and Halo 1 come close.

I think both games only have ONE level each I can't stand. For Halo it's the library, and for Modern Wafare, I can't remember. I think it's the one where you end up defending at the playground/carnival thing.
I find this post offensive to Halo CE :(

In my opinion the only level which Modern Warfare comes close to Halo CE in brilliance is All Ghillied Up.

Merguson

Banned
Dani said:
Halo had the Library, Halo 2 had those Jackal Snipers and Halo 3 had the entire Anus level. What will be Reach's downfall? :lol

Seriously don't know someone at Bungie didn't point out that Cortana was just bad. It should have popped up at least once during a meeting or something.

The level that is indoors and has waves after waves of enemies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Merguson said:
The level that is indoors and has waves after waves of enemies.

Firefight and the campaign missions that use the same spaces in the Campaign in ODST did wave after wave of enemies right. I figure it might be ultimately down to the Flood, which aren't just fun to fight. Either that or setting.

On that logic, Firefight with Flood would probably be horrible too. Guess I know where I'm standing in terms of wanting to see the Flood ever again. :lol

So HaloGaf, ive been challenged to a Halo match...

Was talking to a friend who I dont actually game much with, who is half decent at CoD and in a friendly bit of banter we pretty much ended up betting 100 quid on a game of Halo 3. :lol He hasnt played Halo since Halo 2 so I wont take his cash, but I wanna make him squirm.

Any idea's for how I can bring the lolz? I was thinking of staring at the roof and floor (like a typical new player would when first playing a console FPS), untill he gets like a few kills and then just decimating him when he gets cocky. OR I was thinking of specially forging a map which trapped him in a box but I doubt he would let me choose gametype and its likely we wouldnt play on my xbox anyway.

Im pretty confident considering he hasnt even played Halo in a few years, but im definetly not paying up if I lose. :lol (were both students, so no one is parting with any cash to be fair lol).

This is nothing new, but this isnt just some asshole 1v1 challenge, theres the potential to be a genuine dick, with a live audiance, help me guyz.

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
It's still only my speculation, and then my opinion on top of that..
but I'd guess its about resources more then anything else. This is already a hugely ambitious product, and I think they are more concerned with the experience that they create rather then the one you (the user) creates. DLC I'm sure plays a small factor into things as well. But who knows, there is plenty of time for surprises.
While a terrain editor isn't completely out of the question I'm certainly not expecting one as it would be an entirely new mechanic to forge. They should really have massive pieces of geometry that can be used to quickly create huge walls, elevate entire areas of the map, as well as creating flooring. Everything else Far Cry 2's editor does is really nothing more than an advanced object mover. Being able to toggle clipping and select which axis you want to rotate or translate on can go a very long way.

I really don't think my expectations are beyond Bungie's capabilities nor do I think it would take too many resources for my vision to be accomplished. Simply shipping the game with the following would open up Reach's map editor to be something incredible: Sandbox's skybox, the addition of massive geometry for easy flooring/walls, an extended palette*, maybe an option to toggle a piece of geometry for a couple of different textures, and more light orbs with adjustable ranges. There are many additional things that can be add/improved from there but there's no reason that can't be the jumping off point.

* Again, the only thing limiting Halo 3's Sandbox palette was an unforeseen UI cap.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
So HaloGaf, ive been challenged to a Halo match...

Was talking to a friend who I dont actually game much with, who is half decent at CoD and in a friendly bit of banter we pretty much ended up betting 100 quid on a game of Halo 3. :lol He hasnt played Halo since Halo 2 so I wont take his cash, but I wanna make him squirm.

Any idea's for how I can bring the lolz? I was thinking of staring at the roof and floor (like a typical new player would when first playing a console FPS), untill he gets like a few kills and then just decimating him when he gets cocky. OR I was thinking of specially forging a map which trapped him in a box but I doubt he would let me choose gametype and its likely we wouldnt play on my xbox anyway.

Im pretty confident considering he hasnt even played Halo in a few years, but im definetly not paying up if I lose. :lol (were both students, so no one is parting with any cash to be fair lol).

This is nothing new, but this isnt just some asshole 1v1 challenge, theres the potential to be a genuine dick, with a live audiance, help me guyz.

It would be hilarious if he takes your money.

Alienshogun said:
It would be hilarious if he takes your money.

To be fair were playing more for pride, as I said, no money is parting hands, otherwise I would be playing 100% seriously. I just want to make it funny (while I beat him :p).

Tashi0106 said:
Ninja bobs...Ninja

This would be amazing, I would probably get 1 and die all game if I tried it but ill go for at least one. :lol

Also Zayne, im the underdog! (or am I :p) To be fair he claims he was excellent at Halo 2, so if hes the semi pro he claims to be im going to be ridiculed. I know its not true though. but your right, im being a coward with the bets, to be fair I bet on something small and it just escalated.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair were playing more for pride, as I said, no money is parting hands, otherwise I would be playing 100% seriously. I just want to make it funny (while I beat him :p).

Do something I did once. Every death = 1 vodka shot

Make a match, 100 kills to win. Give yourself a handicap to balance it out.

Film it.

Profit.

Letters said:
I find this post offensive to Halo CE :(

In my opinion the only level which Modern Warfare comes close to Halo CE in brilliance is All Ghillied Up.

I'm not saying MW is as good as Halo.

It isn't but I"m saying there's only one level in each game I hated. That doesn't mean I like both games equally. You looked way too deep into my post there.

EazyB

Banned
Dani said:
Halo had the Library, Halo 2 had those Jackal Snipers and Halo 3 had the entire Anus level. What will be Reach's downfall? :lol

Seriously don't know someone at Bungie didn't point out that Cortana was just bad. It should have popped up at least once during a meeting or something.
I think they've fully admitted that they knew Cortana was a bad level. Can't remember everything they said that went down beforehand making the level so poor but there were reasons.

I don't know why but Bungie's campaigns always have a drop in quality somewhere near the end. IMO you can stop playing each game's campaign after the following levels:
Halo CE - AotCR
Halo 2 - At the main menu
Halo 3 - Covenant
ODST - NMPD HQ

I hope Reach breaks the trend. As far as flood, I wanna see them back in Reach. I thought they were really improved in Halo 3 (as they were headshottable) and mindless hordes can be fun if done right - see L4D and Serious Sam. Doing quick runs of Floodgate are a blast.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:

This would be amazing, I would probably get 1 and die all game if I tried it but ill go for at least one. :lol

Also Zayne, im the underdog! (or am I :p) To be fair he claims he was excellent at Halo 2, so if hes the semi pro he claims to be im going to be ridiculed. I know its not true though. but your right, im being a coward with the bets, to be fair I bet on something small and it just escalated.

Oh, I'm not giving you a rash of shit, I'm just saying it will be pretty damn funny if he beats you.

Alienshogun said:
Oh, I'm not giving you a rash of shit, I'm just saying it will be pretty damn funny if he beats you.

Agreed, but to be fair thats because im the one who made the post. If you where there you would rooting for me, TRUST ME.
Honest
. To be fair it would be pretty funny if either of us lose, because were both so confident, I just have the advantage that I have actually played recently. Anyway as much as we both want to win, its the childish "told you so" which is more important, and beyond rubbing it in no one really cares about the outcome. So give me something funy to do if he sucks so its not just boring. :p

Anyway back on topic, ODST was so much better for not having the flood, I guess Reach wont have them either, and as the only dips in quality in old campeigns for me have all been flood levels (The Library, Cortana, etc) - I have high hopes for Reach. :D

GhaleonEB

I enjoy fighting the Flood in all three games, though in particular in Halo 1 and 2 as they facilitate some wicked three way battles.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I enjoy fighting the Flood in all three games, though in particular in Halo 1 and 2 as they facilitate some wicked three way battles.

I only liked them for the fact you could blow parts off, I would much rather fight the regular covies. That said, I can understand what you are saying. Those 3 way battles were pretty cool.

GhaleonEB said:

The 3 way battles were good, and I will miss those, but the pure flood levels were really drab, and went against everything good about the combat. Any Flood level which also had the Covenant to fight was awesome, but I cant think of a pure Flood level which was fun except that 1 Library level on Halo 2, which was mostly set outside also had sentinels.

ManCannon

Damn.. I just grabbed a Jackal by the hair/spines on the back of it's head, yanked it back and drove a knife through it's throat...

Screenshots are fun.

That is all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ManCannon said:
Damn.. I just grabbed a Jackal by the hair/spines on the back of it's head, yanked it back and drove a knife through it's throat...

Screenshots are fun.

That is all.

Proof or it didn't happen. ;)

feel

I loved the library in Halo 1. Sure, it's not even close in quality to the other levels in the game, but I always avoided comparing it and just pretended it was some kind of spartan VR training and had a blast. Shotgun plus endless hordes of zombies, what's not to love.

EazyB said:
Halo 2 - At the main menu
YES! :lol

ManCannon said:

Screenshots are fun.

That is all.
Oh shit, assassinations on smaller enemies!! For some reason was overlooking this possibility. Can't wait to punt a grunt.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
I loved the library in Halo 1. Sure, it's not even close in quality to the other levels in the game, but I always avoided comparing it and just pretended it was some kind of spartan VR training and had a blast. Shotgun plus endless hordes of zombies, what's not to love.

YES! :lol

So to be clear, you pretended it was something it wasn't in order to enjoy it.

That about right? lol.

Striker

Alienshogun said:
I can't think of anyone who liked the flood, post CE revelation. On that note I also prefer elites over brutes.
The Flood were fine in Halo: CE because it became a three way battle when Master Chief, The Flood, and The Covenant all met. It was primarily displayed during Two Betrayals. Halo 2 and Halo 3 Flood were better with the morphs, but I enjoyed fighting the Flood the most in CE, mostly in the Two Betrayal and Keyes level (the darkness made it compelling).

Two Betrayals and The Maw are respectively great levels for Halo: CE campaign levels for those liking AotCR so much. 343 Guilty Spark and Keyes are more Flood focused, and not entirely long, so they may not be as ideally well-liked.

My top three levels from Halo: CE were be, in order:

01. Two Betrayals
02. Halo
03. Assault on the Control Room

Truth & Reconciliation as well as The Maw are also quite entertaining.

feel

Alienshogun said:
So to be clear, you pretended it was something it wasn't in order to enjoy it.

That about right? lol.
in one of the millions of consequent playthroughs, sure, in the glorious original run I was too invested in the plot to care if it wasn't as good as the other levels, I was having fun anyways.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
in one of the millions of consequent playthroughs, sure, in the glorious original run I was too invested in the plot to care if it wasn't as good as the other levels, I was having fun anyways.

Fair enough. :D

ManCannon

Hey do any HaloGaf regulars live in the Los Angeles area? If so, PM me. Note that you may or may not get a response, don't sweat it and please don't harass me. :D

ManCannon said:
Hey do any HaloGaf regulars live in the Los Angeles area? If so, PM me. Note that you may or may not get a response, don't sweat it and please don't harass me. :D
I live in Ireland's equivalent to LA.... damn.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Question, I realize I'm new here so I'm prepared for a bashing.

I noticed there is a groups list in my profile information. Is there a Halo group I could join? I play with some guys from IGN including Stephen087 and Joey (don't know if any of you know them) but I would also like to get some games in with a few of you gents.

I haven't played much and am pretty much garbage right now, but I intend to fix that before reach.

Thanks.

Let the noob bashing commence.

Alienshogun said:
Question, I realize I'm new here so I'm prepared for a bashing.

I noticed there is a groups list in my profile information. Is there a Halo group I could join? I play with some guys from IGN including Stephen087 and Joey (don't know if any of you know them) but I would also like to get some games in with a few of you gents.

I haven't played much and am pretty much garbage right now, but I intend to fix that before reach.

Thanks.

Let the noob bashing commence.
Oh phew, a junior asking something I had secretly wanted to know. Answer him boys!!!

You can just add a few of us on XBL and join us when we get Gaf Customs going again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ManCannon said:

What kind of proximity are we talking about here? I'm guessing Ireland is a bit far out for consideration? :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Halo 1 - The Library, coop, Legendary. So good~

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
Oh phew, a junior asking something I had secretly wanted to know. Answer him boys!!!

You can just add a few of us on XBL and join us when we get Gaf Customs going again.

Ok, good I thought for sure I was going to get the village idiot beating of a life time.

Edit: Christ are you all in Ireland? I can't imagine we would be able to play together very well! :lol

ManCannon said:

Screenshots are fun.

That is all.

Brian with the cocktease out of fuckin' nowhere :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:

"Customs" was officially back on last Saturday but only a few us showed up and hopped into matchmaking instead. =P

Alienshogun said:
I don't guess there's an answer to the groups.

At least yet, are there any groups period?
Tbh, I don't know. Dani has set up a few gamertags on XBL to house 100 people each so that they can see when people are on Halo for a game but here on Gaf, I see what you are referring to and have never heard it mentioned or implemented.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
Tbh, I don't know. Dani has set up a few gamertags on XBL to house 100 people each so that they can see when people are on Halo for a game but here on Gaf, I see what you are referring to and have never heard it mentioned or implemented.

Well I appreciate the response!

Blueblur1

ManCannon said:

Screenshots are fun.

That is all.
I never even considered assassinations being performed on the other enemies. Sweet.

feel

What are you offering Brian, the chance to be a part of the Bungie E3 entourage?? Because that could be worth flying in from another country. If it's just for a free tshirt, maybe not.

Kibbles

ManCannon said:
I live in Wisconsin. I'd consider that to be the LA Area.

FFUUUU LA folks!

Top Bottom