• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I know folks had complainst about ODST's Campaign length, but playing through it on Legendary I didn't find it too short.

I'm sure tackling Reach on Legendary will be a nice long ride.

Kapura

Banned
Dani said:
I know folks had complainst about ODST's Campaign length, but playing through it on Legendary I didn't find it too short.

The ODST took me about four or five hours first time on Hurroic, and roughly five hours on Legendary. Not super long. I enjoyed it, surely, but the length was certainly short.

Wizman23

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
So who's going to marathon the campaign on 4 (at least) player coop the day it comes out?

Gotta go solo the first time just to soak it all in and crank the surround sound. I'm hoping all the skulls are available for us like they were for ODST without having to find them like in Halo 3. Heroic + Catch + Cowbell is how I will be rocking Reach my first time through.

Dani said:

ODST took me about nine hours first time through. Probably about 5-6 for a complete replay.

Halo 3 takes me maybe 7-8 hours on replays.

Kapura said:
The ODST took me about four or five hours first time on Hurroic, and roughly five hours on Legendary. Not super long. I enjoyed it, surely, but the length was certainly short.
We are not all as talented as you sir :p

I will no doubt crawl through it. Every encounter on legendary will have me shitting the foundations of my 5 story villa and I will be crying more tears than the bullets my AR will be sprayin'.

Kapura

Banned
Wizman23 said:
Gotta go solo the first time just to soak it all in and crank the surround sound. I'm hoping all the skulls are available for us like they were for ODST without having to find them like in Halo 3. Heroic + Catch + Cowbell is how I will be rocking Reach my first time through.
I like the udea of hidden skulls to unlock modifiers, but everybody and their mum had full Hayabusa in like a week thanks to the internet. Maybe make them unlock after completing in game challenges, Vidmaster style.

Sai-kun

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
So who's going to marathon the campaign on 4 (at least) player coop the day it comes out?
I hope to go through Legendary with four people. I hope I can find at least two others! (I'm sure my bf or a roommate will help with splitscreen)

Gui_PT

Sai-kun said:
I hope to go through Legendary with four people. I hope I can find at least two others! (I'm sure my bf or a roommate will help with splitscreen)

I'm interested in getting a team too. I'll only get the game 2 days after release though =\

Wizman23

Banned
Merguson said:
The Halo Reach campaign will be 6 to 8 hours long I bet.

It really doesn't matter how long the campaign is if Bungie puts some serious time and effort into the daily and weekly challenges. I had some great times getting the Vidmaster achievements in both Halo 3 and ODST and with these new challenges mentioned for Reach Bungie has the ability to basically give us new crazy ass challenges every single day to extend the life of the campaign on forever basically. I want insane stuff like the equivalent of going through Tsavo Highway on foot.

I didn't really like 4 player co-op that much in H3, it was either wayyyyyyy too easy or irritating/boring with too many skulls. 2 player Legendary was the sweetspot in Halo 3, maybe turn on tough luck to make the brutes do some dodging.

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
I didn't really like 4 player co-op that much in H3, it was either wayyyyyyy too easy or irritating/boring with too many skulls. 2 player Legendary was the sweetspot in Halo 3, maybe turn on tough luck to make the brutes do some dodging.
I found four player Legendary with Catch, Tough Luck, Thunderstorm and Mythic turned on was pretty spectacular, and a decent challenge. Though I like it when things go really bananas in co-op games.

Speaking of skulls, I hope Grunt Birthday Party makes a return. That adds so much pure joy to the game. :lol

I've never played any of the games on Legendary - except for CE, now that I think of it. Anyway, if I've got 4 skilled Halo MP players should we take Reach on at Legendary or stay with Heroic? I don't want to be frustrated, but I don't want it to be too easy.

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of skulls, I hope Grunt Birthday Party makes a return. That adds so much pure joy to the game. :lol
It has to, would be a big loss to not have it.

Genesis Knight said:
I've never played any of the games on Legendary - except for CE, now that I think of it. Anyway, if I've got 4 skilled Halo MP players should we take Reach on at Legendary or stay with Heroic? I don't want to be frustrated, but I don't want it to be too easy.
Legendary, definitely. It would be way too easy on Heroic for 4 people.

I'll be doing it, as I always do, alone on Heroic for my first playthrough.
The way it's meant to be played indeed.

Merguson

Banned
Wizman23 said:
It really doesn't matter how long the campaign is if Bungie puts some serious time and effort into the daily and weekly challenges. I had some great times getting the Vidmaster achievements in both Halo 3 and ODST and with these new challenges mentioned for Reach Bungie has the ability to basically give us new crazy ass challenges every single day to extend the life of the campaign on forever basically. I want insane stuff like the equivalent of going through Tsavo Highway on foot.

I don't mind a short campaign as long as it can keep me entertained. Keeping me entertained should be the actual content of the campaign but daily and weekly challenges can help for sure.

The only thing I hope Bungie does is make their intentions to keep the player contained within the level a bit less obvious. Sierra 117 is probably the worst offender as you could hit the soft ceiling countless times. I think you can hit the soft ceiling on The Storm as well. Bungie wants the player to stay in the level, that's fine, but give the player some breathing room. :(

GhaleonEB

Digital-Hero said:
Doesn't WoW and Red Dead Redemption already have that concept?
Indeed, when the Challenges were announced, Luke gave the nod to WoW specifically as a source of inspiration for including the idea in Reach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Looking forward to seeing some more cinematics, I'm sure they'll have one or two polished up for next week. Holding out of the one with all of the vehicles heading into battle, holding with textures and whatnot. :D

Anyone else have a hard time going back to Halo 3 after the Reach Beta? I just cannot stomach the old anymore. I went back to playing Modern Warfare 2 for my online killing action.

GhaleonEB said:
I found four player Legendary with Catch, Tough Luck, Thunderstorm and Mythic turned on was pretty spectacular, and a decent challenge. Though I like it when things go really bananas in co-op games.

I'll have to try that makeup, I normally put on tilt to recreate some of that Halo CE, "I need a plasma weapon" feel, but after seeing how that skulls breaks shit in firefight I'm realizing that tilt might be the problem.

Digital-Hero said:
Anyone else have a hard time going back to Halo 3 after the ODST Beta? I just cannot stomach the old anymore. I went back to playing Modern Warfare 2 for my online killing action.
I think a couple people around here were fine with playing H3 during the beta :lol
electricpirate said:
I'll have to try that makeup, I normally put on tilt to recreate some of that Halo CE, "I need a plasma weapon" feel, but after seeing how that skulls breaks shit in firefight I'm realizing that tilt might be the problem.
Yea I am really not a tilt fan for campaign. I forget who would always turn it on, but I thought it was a fun sucker (sucks out the fun).
Looking at you nutter.

Falagard

Dani said:
Looking forward to seeing some more cinematics, I'm sure they'll have one or two polished up for next week. Holding out of the one with all of the vehicles heading into battle, holding with textures and whatnot. :D

One of the Bungie Weekly Updates or Nobleactual posts said the cinematics were all finished. I'm pretty sure they're pretty much done the game at this point and are just bug fixing.

The Polish stage is Finnish. Now they're Russian to fix bugs so they can get home to their wives and then you know.. bowchickawowow ... Himalayan.

Zeouterlimits said:
It has to, would be a big loss to not have it.
*Zeouterlimits wants you to play Halo 3:ODST*

Oh cool, Legendary on Security Zone. Hey, is Grunt Birthday Skull turned on?

Countdown to start: 5...4...3...2...1 Beep!

No conffetti. Sadface.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:

No conffetti. Sadface.

We need to get some games going with Reach's Firefight/Campaign, inter-island connections should be smooth. The slideshows for US connections are balls. =\

Captain Blood said:
I think a couple people around here were fine with playing H3 during the beta :lol

Yea I am really not a tilt fan for campaign. I forget who would always turn it on, but I thought it was a fun sucker (sucks out the fun).
Looking at you nutter.

I meant Reach Beta. :lol

Falagard said:
One of the Bungie Weekly Updates or Nobleactual posts said the cinematics were all finished. I'm pretty sure they're pretty much done the game at this point and are just bug fixing.

The Polish stage is Finnish. Now they're Russian to fix bugs so they can get home to their wives and then you know.. bowchickawowow ... Himalayan.

French?

The Crawf

Kibbles said:
I liked it last year where they showed a longer demo of what they showed at the conference to people like GameSpot and IGN LiveWire. That'd be cool again...

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. The opening cinematic and 5-10 mins of gameplay.

Dani said:
We need to get some games going with Reach's Firefight/Campaign, inter-island connections should be smooth. The slideshows for US connections are balls. =\
Well if Network Test 1 is anything to go by I can stomach an international game of campaign or FF if needed. Looking back, that Legendary 4-player Campaign achievement really showcases just how far Bungie's netcode has come with NT1.

Plus, I've always had my bro, Zeouterlimits and our friend Gazzawa69 as players for FF. Hopefully, come Reach, we can branch out and have 6 in the group.

Quick question - The really hard Vidmaster achievements such as Endure and Deja Vú as well as that Halo 3 one I mentioned. Have any of ye ever felt as though you had bonded greatly with your teammates upon finishing them? Only Halo could do that to me. C'mon Reach ^^

Gui_PT

Hydranockz said:
Quick question - The really hard Vidmaster achievements such as Endure and Deja Vú as well as that Halo 3 one I mentioned. Have any of ye ever felt as though you had bonded greatly with your teammates upon finishing them? Only Halo could do that to me. C'mon Reach ^^

Alls I remember is spending 2 hours to finish the last level cuz of sum loser and his ghost.

But yeah, you're right about the bonding thing. Never happened to me in any other game

Lothars

GhaleonEB said:

That's by far the best skull to me, I love that Skull, Nothing like hearing yay!!!

It brings a smile to my face everytime.

Hydranockz said:

No conffetti. Sadface.
That's only because Gazzawa neighs like an upset donkey whenever we try to play using it :p

Dani said:
Agreed, although I had some perfectly smooth cross-Atlantic games as well (in the minority of course). Remember playing with Dax on Last Resort for a long-ass game.

Edit: And now that I think of it, we had a few firefight (entirely-Limerick based connections) games that turned horrible connection-wise when they felt like it.

feel

Doing coop on the first playthrough of a Halo is something I would never do. I know different people view the campaign in a different way, so I'm not judging at all, but I would never ruin a Halo campaign for myself like that.
Coop is incredibly fun and all, but it's way too distracting, everyone is always rushing through it, chatting over Marty's melodies and dialogue, being goofy, saying silly jokes during cutscenes, never stopping to appreciate the atmosphere and scenery, etc. There's plenty of time to play like that again and again afterwards.

I wouldn't mind a 6-8 hour campaign is that 6-8 hours is fucking non stop fuckawesome.

I'd rather not have levels like the Library, and other filler levels padding our the campaign.

For once, I want a first person shooter where I enjoy EVERY level I play. If that means a shorter campaign, then so be it.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I wouldn't mind a 6-8 hour campaign is that 6-8 hours is fucking non stop fuckawesome.

I'd rather not have levels like the Library, and other filler levels padding our the campaign.

For once, I want a first person shooter where I enjoy EVERY level I play. If that means a shorter campaign, then so be it.

That has never happened. Flawed games made by flawed people. I can look past some poorly done levels if most of the game is fun.

I'd love a lengthy campaign in the style of Halo 1. Not even going to touch multiplayer or firefight.

What the... Does someone actually buy Halo games 100% for the campaign? Not even Firefight? Didn't know that was possible.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo had the Library, Halo 2 had those Jackal Snipers and Halo 3 had the entire Anus level. What will be Reach's downfall? :lol

Seriously don't know someone at Bungie didn't point out that Cortana was just bad. It should have popped up at least once during a meeting or something.

Wiggum2007

So has it been officially confirmed that the Flood will not be in the game for sure? I know it obviously doesn't seem to fit with the fiction but they could always pull something out of their ass about a secret underground Forerunner facility that unleashes a Flood outbreak that nobody ever heard about because the glassing of the planet destroyed any evidence and blah blah blah here's another Library this one is even better it has 8 floors.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Wiggum2007 said:
So has it been officially confirmed that the Flood will not be in the game for sure? I know it obviously doesn't seem to fit with the fiction but they could always pull something out of their ass about a secret underground Forerunner facility that unleashes a Flood outbreak that nobody ever heard about because the glassing of the planet destroyed any evidence and blah blah blah here's another Library this one is even better it has 8 floors.

No certainties. Forerunner stuff could pop up and where there is Forerunner stuff there is always a chance....

Hope they don't put the Flood in. I prefer smarter enemies rather than mindless waves.

Digital-Hero said:
That has never happened. Flawed games made by flawed people. I can look past some poorly done levels if most of the game is fun.

Hence why I said for once.

Modern Warfare 1, and Halo 1 come close.

I think both games only have ONE level each I can't stand. For Halo it's the library, and for Modern Wafare, I can't remember. I think it's the one where you end up defending at the playground/carnival thing.

Gui_PT

Dani said:
Halo had the Library, Halo 2 had those Jackal Snipers and Halo 3 had the entire Anus level. What will be Reach's downfall? :lol

Seriously don't know someone at Bungie didn't point out that Cortana was just bad. It should have popped up at least once during a meeting or something.

I don't agree that the Library was a bad level =\ Really enjoy playing on it

Usually, their bad levels are flood levels. Since there won't be flood in Reach (I HOPE) I doubt we'll be having an actual "bad" level

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Gui_PT said:
I don't agree that the Library was a bad level =\ Really enjoy playing on it

Usually, their bad levels are flood levels. Since there won't be flood in Reach (I HOPE) I doubt we'll be having an actual "bad" level

I say bad because it lacked any sort of fun for me. Repeating cramping, corridors and waves upon wave of rushing enemies. It's Halo at it's lowest amount of fun. It's devoid of the dynamic player-environment-enemy interplay from the levels that proceed it.

Cortana is pretty similar, cramped brown corridors and wave upon wave of enemies with additionally added sniping brown masses.

Compared either level of any of the open ended levels with enemies and vehicles and mountains of win and fun. It's hard to imagine they are from the same games, really.

I have high hopes for Reach, focusing on the Covenant invasion, fighting Elites like the great times in the earlier Halo CE levels. Massive open ended levels have been touted by Bungie and from what they and from what we seen it looks like a return to the best moments of the original Halo with healthy modern trappings and design.

If they can re-capture even a fraction of the feeling I get when playing a level like The Silent Cartographer, I'd be satisfied.

The bar (and my expectations) is only set so high because Bungie set the bar up there in the first place.

Top Bottom