• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

ManCannon said:
Yeah.. we're not able to sell actual Halo stuff in the Bungie store. :(
Speaking of the Bungie, any news on when those of us in non-American territories going to be able to purchase some fine Bungie wares?
ManCannon said:
We'll have buttons aplenty at all the major stuff this summer - e3, comic-con, PAX, Gamescon, etc...
Do you mean Gamescom in Cologne?
Might be a cheaper option than the now-unlikely PAX trip (GF & I are going to France in October).

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
If there's no multiplayer on the show floor I will be shocked.
Sketch has said in several interviews from a while back that they'd be taking a break from MP coverage and move back to Campaign for E3. I'm expecting a Campaign demonstration and a Firefight map on the floor, personally.

GhaleonEB said:
Sketch has said in several interviews from a while back that they'd be taking a break from MP coverage and move back to Campaign for E3. I'm expecting a Campaign demonstration and a Firefight map on the floor, personally.

So have we figured out why Bungie is so secretive about Firefight? They act like it doesn't exist, yet everyone knows that it has to be there. Silence = big surprise inbound? I'm guessing it's going to be radically changed, or why else keep it under wraps?

EDIT: oops double post, apologies.

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
So have we figured out why Bungie is so secretive about Firefight? They act like it doesn't exist, yet everyone knows that it has to be there. Silence = big surprise inbound? I'm guessing it's going to be radically changed, or why else keep it under wraps?
It simply hasn't been announced yet, though they've been hinting at it like crazy. They announced Forge was back, but haven't shown anything on it or hinted at its scope or functionality yet, either. They'll be part of the reveals as we march toward ship, as they were with ODST and Halo 3.
Arhal_Katarn said:
As much as i love Halo i really hope they don't show a Halo 4 teaser. We don't want the franchise to be ran into the ground due to yearly games. I have always seen Halo as Microsofts Mario/Zelda a game series that could last for decades. If they bring one out every year people will get tired of it which happened to guitar hero and will happen with cod in the future.

Saying that a Halo Wars 2 with full natal intergration would be epic.
If there was a bet that there would be annual Halo titles starting next year from MS, I'd take that bet.

Arhal_Katarn

Domino Theory said:

As much as i love Halo i really hope they don't show a Halo 4 teaser. We don't want the franchise to be ran into the ground due to yearly games. I have always seen Halo as Microsofts Mario/Zelda a game series that could last for decades. If they bring one out every year people will get tired of it which happened to guitar hero and will happen with cod in the future.
Saying that a Halo Wars 2 with full natal intergration would be epic.

Ramirez

Dirtbag said:
I've got to believe that the next halo title will coincide with the next-gen console reveal and not happening at this e3.

The only way I don't see this happening is if MS plans on extending the 360 for another 3+ years. I have a hard time believing that they are hyping Natal so much, only to push out a new system a year or two later, unless Natal would work with it as well.

Stinkles to appear on stage & demo trailer?
Or maybe that'd be more in Payton's department.

It'll be nice to know what 343i are up to, but I'd rather they waited until next year, we have Reach to keep us busy.

Watch me eat my words and squeal in joy like a little girl if they actually announce something.

Lazslo

Domino Theory said:
Just a rumor, but... pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue
I believe it, 343i has been assembled for a good amount of time now- a game(s) has probably been in dev for about a year now, it just seems reasonable for MS to announce a Halo title after the activision news last month.

Dirtbag

Ramirez said:
The only way I don't see this happening is if MS plans on extending the 360 for another 3+ years. I have a hard time believing that they are hyping Natal so much, only to push out a new system a year or two later, unless Natal would work with it as well.

I think the next console is 2-3 years out, which would put either next E3 (2011) or the following one in 2012 for the initial reveal. I don't think launching their next console will put an end to 360 support either, this generation they have a substantial audience and I think we will see long sales of the 360 with much longer support then the first xbox. I fully expect the next box to have a big 3-d push, along with natal out the box.

Well next week I will be rather unable to keep up with E3 goodness. My girlfriend is coming over from Mexico for a week arriving on Sunday. Going to see Megadeth on Moday down in Cork so besides all the travelling and whatnot, it will be Tuesday night before we can chill out and scan Gaf for news :p

Sooooo, the fat guy dressed up as a Spartan will be our way of knowing HaloGaf is there right?

EDIT: HALOKART 117?!?!?!?!

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
I think the next console is 2-3 years out, which would put either next E3 (2011) or the following one in 2012 for the initial reveal. I don't think launching their next console will put an end to 360 support either, this generation they have a substantial audience and I think we will see long sales of the 360 with much longer support then the first xbox. I fully expect the next box to have a big 3-d push, along with natal out the box.
You think MS will go without a Halo release for 2-3 years when they've released one each year for the last 3?

Hydranockz said:
Well next week I will be rather unable to keep up with E3 goodness. My girlfriend is coming over from Mexico for a week arriving on Sunday. Going to see Megadeth on Monday down in Cork so besides all the travelling and whatnot, it will be Tuesday night before we can chill out and scan Gaf for news :p
Sooooo, the fat guy dressed up as a Spartan will be our way of knowing HaloGaf is there right?
I'll text you as shit goes down :)

Didn't know you had a Spartan costume, huh. :lol

EazyB said:
You think MS will go without a Halo release for 2-3 years when they've released one each year for the last 3?
2008?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ssparks said:
I believe it, 343i has been assembled for a good amount of time now- a game(s) has probably been in dev for about a year now, it just seems reasonable for MS to announce a Halo title after the activision news last month.

Take a look back at ODST's and Reach's initial announcements. Both announcement trailers were made by outside studios paid to make kick ass concept trailers. It's entirely possible that we'll see something very similar done for the next big Halo game.

343i are still actively scouting talent and hiring at the moment and any actual work they are currently doing is in no real shape to show the public.

I think it's a coin toss as to whether or not we'll get any word on what 343i are doing at this year's E3. It's understandable that Microsoft might want to put something out in wake of the Bungie/Activision deal but I think it's much more likely they will focus on Reach as the main Halo FPS and maybe announce a companion Halo non-FPS game (HW2, dammit!) to tide fans over.

A quick 30-second teaser featuring either more Spartans fighting some forgotten battle or Maser Chief himself chilling out in cryo will be enough to get folks talking whilst not taking the focus away from Reach. I'm leaning towards the former rather than the latter.

Either way, Reach will be the main focus and we're years away from seeing anything 343i might be planning.

Merguson

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
I'll text you as shit goes down :)

Didn't know you had a Spartan costume, huh. :lol

2008?

He was thinking of Halo Wars I think but that released in February of 2009. Just two months past 2008.

FourDoor

So let's see. We've had the original Halo FPS from Bungie. Then Halo Wars RTS.

With Reach releasing this year and the marketing hype that will be surrounding that is the defacto FPS, I cannot see Halo 4 or any other Halo FPS being announced at E3. But I wouldn't rule out some kind of other Halo title being announced. MMO, Lego Halo, Super Street Fighter IV downloadable characters, Warthog Bumper Cars XBLA, the 343 list of potential games outside of Halo 3 is endless.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:

That alone would make a lot of people happy.

Especially firefight coverage.

I want the speculation of 6 player campaign coop/firefight squashed or confirmed.

I really don't see it being that high, but I guess we will see.

Dirtbag

EazyB said:
Yes, I think they would skip a year and go 2, 3 seems extreme.
I can see MS having Rare or someone else readying a Halo Natal game to fill that gap, and the next Halo FPS released will be Halo 4 on the next gen console. I do not think MS plans on rushing out the 343i Halo games because I'm sure they realize the quality people expect from the brand.

KevinRo

Dirtbag said:
Yes, I think they would skip a year and go 2, 3 seems extreme.
I can see MS having Rare or someone else readying a Halo Natal game to fill that gap, and the next Halo FPS released will be Halo 4 on the next gen console. I do not think MS plans on rushing out the 343i Halo games because I'm sure they realize the quality people expect from the brand.

They are on 2 year cycle with Halo games.

It's like Halo - Gears is Microsoft's version of Activision churning out a new version of Call of Duty with Treyarch and Inifinity Ward every other year.

Arhal_Katarn said:
I wouldn't mind a teaser. It's not physically possible for Halo games to come out once a year. I think 2-3 year increments work really well, personally. And having games come out every year hasn't exactly hurt the CoD franchise. But I can see where you're coming from. I have to agree with Dirtbag on when the next Halo game will be released. Whether it's Halo4, or Bungie's next big title, coming out with the release of the next xbox console makes perfect sense.

zumphry

Banned
ManCannon said:
Yeah.. we're not able to sell actual Halo stuff in the Bungie store. :(

:(

You could still sell Bungie buttons, and ones with the Carnage/splatter emblem(if you still own it) on them and other images (Webmaster, Seventh Column, Septagon, Bungie seal)

That or just ones with the Marathon emblem and Lil' Urk on them.

a guy can dream, can't he?!

Sai-kun

Banned
I will seriously pay someone who goes to E3/PAX/WhereverBungieIs to get me some buttons. Seriously. Like I'll paypal someone $20 and they can buy me $20 worth of buttons! I NEED THEM.

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
I will seriously pay someone who goes to E3/PAX/WhereverBungieIs to get me some buttons. Seriously. Like I'll paypal someone $20 and they can buy me $20 worth of buttons! I NEED THEM.
I'll try to snag you some from PAX this year. I lucky in that I have set from each of the last two years.

Striker

Genesis Knight said:
I have two wishes for 343s Halo games:

They won't integrate Natal (except for Halo Wars games).
They won't be launch titles.
I fully suspect the next console Microsoft makes will have a Halo as a lead title. At least it makes sense to. What other big exclusive can they start with?

EazyB said:
Didn't Halo Wars come out around then? Wouldn't know because I didn't buy that piece of shit.
Certainly had more fun and more hours of game-time in Halo Wars than I did for ODST.

Genesis Knight said:
I have two wishes for 343s Halo games:

They won't integrate Natal (except for Halo Wars games).
They won't be launch titles.

I would be really surprised if the 343 Halo game isn't a launch title for the next xbox. I am sure MS would have loved H3 for 360 release but that wasn't in the cards. Especially since 343 will have whatever the next gen hardware is right away.

EazyB

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I would be really surprised if the 343 Halo game isn't a launch title for the next xbox. I am sure MS would have loved H3 for 360 release but that wasn't in the cards. Especially since 343 will have whatever the next gen hardware is right away.
Yup, can't think of a better way to kick off a new generation than with the next generation of Halo titles. 343 is totally unproven in my eye but it sure would be something if we had a repeat of CE.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Funny thing, this generation of hardware is certainly the most unclear and uncertain. With Natal and Move making their way from R&D to retail after many years of development and research costs, alongside a marketing push to rival the launch of any new hardware platform, when exactly does this generation end?

There are no certainties. Professional industry spectators and analysts such as Mickey Patcher can't seem to agree on any sort of end point for this generation. Predictions are flung around often enough but have the accuracy of a plausibility of a random GAFer's guess.

Will the next Xbox and PS4 be announced next year? 2013? 2015? It's clear that both Microsoft and Sony want to extend this generation past the historically accepted average lifespans, money is being tossed around and work is being invested in this generation. No one is in a hurry to move on, but we know both Microsoft and Sony will want to be first to hit the market with their next generation hardware whenever the time comes. We're sitting at a standoff now as each console manufacturer refocuses it's efforts and attention on this generation. Nobody wants to blink first and both want to be first to fire the winning shot.

So where does this leave Reach and the next proper Halo game? Reach will be sailing smoothly regardless of where the industry takes us. Whether Reach serves as this generation's Halo 2 - leading the 360 platform into the evening sunset whilst serving as the popular online title that bridges the gap between hardware generation transitions, or if Reach continues the strong legacy of Halo 3 pushing the console into the hearts and minds of players worldwide and serving as yet another milestone for the 360 platform and Halo franchise, it remains to be seen.

If there are many years left in this generation, another Halo title, a proper FPS, could appear on the horizon at some point. Halo 2 bridged the gap between the original Xbox and the 360 very well as the players carried over their play time from one console to the other thanks to backwards comparability and Live online infrastructure. From several indications it looks like a similar transition would be possible in future.

I just don't think it's likely. I think Reach will be the final main Halo FPS on the 360. It's not even out yet, but it will have years of success ahead and hopefully it will at least match, if not surpass, Halo 3 in terms of DLC and post release support.

If any future Halo title is destined to appear on new hardware, Microsoft won't even talk about until it's ready to talk about the new hardware. It makes no sense to tease a game that's going to appear on a platform no one even knows about. It would confuse consumer expectations.

I'll be busy playing Reach DLC years from now regardless of where the console manufactures take the platforms. If Reach is the definitive Halo title, then I don't want to think about another Halo FPS for some considerable time. I would however be interested in companion titles. Games that would flesh out and add to the Halo universe without trying to take over. Halo Wars was a great example of this and I want more. It doesn't have to be Halo Wars 2, but it does have to be good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I agree, I just can't see another Halo this gen, at least not an FPS. I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't mind a new console announcement next year. I don't think Natal or Move will do a damn thing to post-pone the next generation.

Bring on the Brobox720! :lol

Dirtbag

KevinRo said:
They are on 2 year cycle with Halo games.

It's like Halo - Gears is Microsoft's version of Activision churning out a new version of Call of Duty with Treyarch and Inifinity Ward every other year.

Cept they lose Gears exclusivity after this 3rd one, which will definitely change the timing/exclusivity of that games' development.. and they are still hiring 343 positions. I have no doubt if they could do what you are suggesting they would, but its out of their hands this time.

Unless 343 as an internal studio is really positioned to work magic with a new console, I would prefer to wait and get past the birthing pains of a new generation. CE was lucky - most launch titles of last gen and this gen were hardly timeless. I'd hate to see a Halo game hobbled by coming out too early in a cycle, before developers have found their way around the console and begin maximizing it.

Arhal_Katarn

Dirtbag said:
Cept they lose Gears exclusivity after this 3rd one, which will definitely change the timing/exclusivity of that games' development.. and they are still hiring 343 positions. I have no doubt if they could do what you are suggesting they would, but its out of their hands this time.

They had a two game deal for gears at first i thought. I should imagine another multi game deal has been made. Unless there has been confirmation of only a single game deal.

Dirtbag

Genesis Knight said:
Unless 343 as an internal studio is really positioned to work magic with a new console, I would prefer to wait and get past the birthing pains of a new generation. CE was lucky - most launch titles of last gen and this gen were hardly timeless. I'd hate to see a Halo game hobbled by coming out too early in a cycle, before developers have found their way around the console and begin maximizing it.

It will still be in a position to look and play better then anything on the 360, even if its' limited by the console's future standards. If launch consoles have taught us anything, its that you don't need your biggest franchise to launch since the console will sell out.. you just need to make sure you get a 'killer app' out within the 1st year.

Arhal_Katarn said:
They had a two game deal for gears at first i thought. I should imagine another multi game deal has been made. Unless there has been confirmation of only a single game deal.
No, it was a 3 game deal.
Epic and MS have fought over DLC, and Epic has taken quite the number of potshots at MS.
I don't predict another exclusivity deal coming for Gears.

Lazslo

Dani said:
...A quick 30-second teaser featuring either more Spartans fighting some forgotten battle or Maser Chief himself chilling out in cryo will be enough to get folks talking whilst not taking the focus away from Reach. I'm leaning towards the former rather than the latter.

Either way, Reach will be the main focus and we're years away from seeing anything 343i might be planning.
Yeah I honestly think they will show some kind of announce trailer but who knows. I still want to know what David Ellis is doing there- hopefully maybe like PR or something like what L.M Smith did in his first year at bungie- maybe we'll soon get a 343i podcast. Believe

Also Dani that E3 hub at FUD is looking really awesome, great job

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Genesis Knight said:

On the same note I don't want the next Xbox to go the route of the PS3 and have a year or 3 go by before rolling out the familiar and beloved IPs.

Edit: Again, basically what Dirt said.

Why do I find myself agreeing with Dirt all the damned time!

Dirtbag

Alienshogun said:
On the same note I don't want the next Xbox to go the route of the PS3 and have a year or 3 go by before rolling out the familiar and beloved IPs.
If you can't meet launch demands of the console to begin with, you don't need to rush out your biggest franchises only to watch them have weakened sales given the smaller audience.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
If you can't meet launch demands of the console to begin with, you don't need to rush out your biggest franchises only to watch them have weakened sales given the smaller audience.

True enough, that really shouldn't be an issue. I still think it was done on purpose to drive up demand.

Dirtbag said:
It will still be in a position to look and play better then anything on the 360, even if its' limited by the console's future standards. If launch consoles have taught us anything, its that you don't need your biggest franchise to launch since the console will sell out.. you just need to make sure you get a 'killer app' out within the 1st year.

Epic and MS have fought over DLC, and Epic has taken quite the number of potshots at MS.
MS has invested a ton of money in Gears and lots of the success is because of the awesome marketing MS provides. I doubt Gears will make its way to other consoles.

FrankT

Dirtbag said:

I'm not sure where you are getting the 3 game deal. From all reports here they had said it was a 2 game originally and post that it was Epic's call to do as they wanted. Obviously they were very pleased with the original as they made that clear post Pachter comments and yet we see the deal with 3 as well. This is old news.

As for next year OXM has stated this month PD will fill the slot of Halo/Gears next fall. Could something 343 show up sure, but I doubt it. Next E3 yea for sure with Fall 2012 slot. Don’t bank on simply a next gen Halo from 343 first. We’ll be lucky to see another Xbox before 2013 and possibly further.

Edit: I could also see another Gears game exclusive this gen, but not necessarily a 4.

Dirtbag

Jtyettis said:
I'm not sure where you are getting the 3 game deal. From all reports here they had said it was a 2 game originally and post that it was Epic's call to do as they wanted. Obviously they were very pleased with the original as they made that clear post Pachter comments and yet we see the deal with 3 as well. This is old news.

As for next year OXM has stated this month PD will fill the slot of Halo/Gears next fall. Could something 343 show up sure, but I doubt it. Next E3 yea for sure with Fall 2012 slot. Don’t bank on simply a next gen Halo from 343 first. We’ll be lucky to see another Xbox before 2013 and possibly further.

Edit: I could also see another Gears game exclusive this gen, but not necessarily a 4.

You don't think they're even going to reveal the xbox in 2013? Or do you mean it won't launch until at least 2013? Because I still think the next box is coming in fall 2012 / spring 2013. All the while the 360 gets cont'd support, and expect the first big 343 title to hit fall 2013 if not before.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
You don't think they're even going to reveal the xbox in 2013? Or do you mean it won't launch until at least 2013? Because I still think the next box is coming in fall 2012 / spring 2013, while the 360 gets cont'd support, and expect the first big 343 title to hit fall 2013 if not before.

Yeah, I REALLY can't see this gen stretching past 2012.

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, I REALLY can't see this gen stretching past 2012.

3163703a8a3bba80fc74ccc481b73aa2.jpg

Top Bottom