• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Teknoman

Deputy Moonman said:
I kind of view the go-to weapon in Halo as something that has set it apart from other shooters. Halo has always been this way since day one. The pistol in Halo:CE, and the Battle Rifle in Halo 2 and 3. I don't want to start a big war or anything, which I guess I'm sort of good at doing, but how is it that people have been fans of the game all this time, and yet have issues with what I consider one of the most fundamental or core aspects of what makes Halo, Halo. It's like people want Halo, but then they don't want it to be Halo. I can think of quite a few other first person shooters that do exactly what some people are pushing for, equality in all weapons, and I don't want that. And I don't understand why people play Halo if that is what they want. Aw well. I think I may have just stirred the pot.

I think its just people want to see others / be able to use many of the different weapons and still come out on top.

And yeah I see how that would make party chat preferable most of the time. Only thing I dont like is when the party you're in forgets to invite a random (if you're lacking a full team) and they're left out (or you're the random :lol ).

I can't remember but if you were in a vehicle in Halo 2 and someone was locked onto you with rockets did it give you a warning similar to the beeping when a missile pod is locked onto you in H3?

Ten-Song said:
Well, if it does have lock on, the Splazer has no reason to exist and Bungie should feel bad for still letting it exist. :mad:

I'm 50/50 on the Spartan laser. Certain times it feels overpowered, other times it saves the day.

neoism

Schmitty said:
I love their forums. Check this out. :lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol Yeah it just amour, but I hope Bungie does have another recon, that no one has but them.....I never really cared for recon.. I liked the chest plate more than the helmet.
I'm going for the regular edition too. The LMT, and LE look awesome, but I'm a cheap bastard.

Schmitty

riceandbeans said:
I'm 50/50 on the Spartan laser. Certain times it feels overpowered, other times it saves the day.
We've had this argument too much already. Let's just agree to not talk about this until we see it in action, if at all, in the beta.

vhfive said:
Man that montage is so fucking good. Makes me want to play some big team with a bunch gaffers.
I am just about to watch Survivor right now, but I would be down for some games later if everyone else is?

Kenak said:
Is it just me or do the graphics look better than the final game? :lol AR and the armor texture look a bit better to me.

Dude, Halo games always look better when they're in production. The Halo 2 E3 demo and this dude say hi.

Also, someone find the Ark comparison between the announcement trailer and the final game. It's unbelievable. Until the final game is in my hands, I tend to Halo screens and video as proof of concept.

Yeah, I'm still bitter about the E3 demo. Goddamn I was so hyped.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Jack Scofield said:
Yeah, I'm still bitter about the E3 demo. Goddamn I was so hyped.

And then you were like, "wait who cares, this game plays AMAZING" Right?

NOKYARD

Hydranockz said:
I'll probably rock NOKZ for a while. I was using MY-X in ODST ut it annoyed my friends too much :p
I will be using NOKY.

Does this mean we are battle bro's? :lol

watership said:
I'm going to hate all you F&F peeps with great hate soon i think. I will come in and seeth and grind my teeth and snarl.
They will not be here to enjoy the show. :D

Ten-Song

Letters said:
I'm sure these bastards will find some time to stop by to brag, and then wait for the rage responses... :/

They could be like I am with the Starcraft 2 beta. I've had the beta since forever, but I've only played it like... twice.

cresto

I know I am not the first and certainly not the last, but will there be any beta giveaways coming this week? I really would like to check this out but don't want to waste $30 on ODST. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

wwm0nkey

ergo said:
I know I am not the first and certainly not the last, but will there be any beta giveaways coming this week? I really would like to check this out but don't want to waste $30 on ODST. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
There is a Early access contest this week on Giantbomb. If you want though I am getting an extra code I might be able to give you :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
I'm sure these bastards will find some time to stop by to brag, and then wait for the rage responses... :/

Hahaha I don't know though, do we want this assholes to post their impressions. I kind of don't want to be spoiled.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ergo said:
I really would like to check this out but don't want to waste $30 on ODST.

ODST is certainly not a waste of money. =\

Tashi0106 said:
Hahaha I don't know though, do we want this assholes to post their impressions. I kind of don't want to be spoiled.

I'm sure some assholes will be streaming it, ruining the surprise for everybody.

Dani said:
ODST is certainly not a waste of money. =\

Seriously. I mean, I've been away from the franchise for a few years and have been mostly indifferent to it, but from what I've played (played up to after Dutch), ODST is probably my favorite campaign next to CE.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
So glad I'm going to be waking up to brand new, direct-feed footage of Reach. :D

Should help tide me over for the next few days.
So you're not staying up to watch it. Some Halo fan you are.

Nutter

EazyB said:
So you're not staying up to watch it. Some Halo fan you are.
:lol

Oh btw Eazy, playing Halo 3 Team Slayer isnt going to make you a better player in Reach.

you will have to switch to default for that :p

Guys! 8 days to the beta! 8 days guys! :D :D :D

LOL, I love seeing people talk about programming. I love programming myself, though I've never done anything as complicated as water :lol

EazyB

Banned
Lost my 48 for a game there :p

Aww, good shit. I've been a 47 for almost exactly one year and 11 months. Just took a 26/37 record. I've broken the glass ceiling!

The water won't necessarily be better, it will just be easier to produce at the quality we see in Reach. Thus, Marcus having to step in and work on the 3rd good instance of water will be a thing of the past. Other members will be able to implement water just as good once he's set the example.

Some questions to think about before the beta:

Which playlist will you enter first?

I want to enter grab bag. I anticipate the more casual players going there, and I'll want more socially-themed encounters until I adjust.

Will you have more than one person on your system?

Yeah, I'll be playing with at least 2 friends (BOO BOB and imp hunter). Maybe a 3rd (JackVNewman).

Will you and those on your system vote for the same gametypes or different ones?

I might get some cooperation. My friends BOO BOB and imp hunter usually like and agree with my logic, and vice versa. But it depends whether we play with JackVNewman. He usually votes for something else just to be different.

What will you vote for first?

Sword Base. And Stockpile.

InvincibleAgent said:
The water won't necessarily be better, it will just be easier to produce at the quality we see in Reach. Thus, Marcus having to step in and work on the 3rd good instance of water will be a thing of the past. Other members will be able to implement water just as good once he's set the example.

Some questions to think about before the beta:

Which playlist will you enter first?

I want to enter grab bag. I anticipate the more casual players going there, and I'll want more socially-themed encounters until I adjust.

Will you have more than one person on your system?

Yeah, I'll be playing with at least 2 friends (BOO BOB and imp hunter). Maybe a 3rd (JackVNewman).

Will you and those on your system vote for the same gametypes or different ones?

I might get some cooperation. My friends BOO BOB and imp hunter usually like and agree with my logic, and vice versa. But it depends whether we play with JackVNewman. He usually votes for something else just to be different.

What will you vote for first?

Sword Base. And Stockpile.

things we should all be thinking about before the beta

Neverender said:
things we should all be thinking about before the beta
I meant for people to put in their own answers, not just quote mine :lol

But hey, if you want to vote for Sword Base and Stockpile, more power to ya :lol

On that note, is this week when we'll get the lowdown on the playlists and gametypes?

This thread is going to explode as soon as the videos start cropping up. And then I'll have to sort through 20 pages just to catch up. I want to see the beatdowns!

Top Bottom