• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Toddler said:
psyc4dummies.jpg

You're paper thin, Holmes....

Damn son, cold as ice :lol

GhaleonEB

Proelite said:
Anyone going to do synchronized Jetpack air show in the beta with a few friends? :D
I'm predicting to see a bunch of players using armor lock to "bow down" to someone/something. Maybe just the DMR.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GhaleonEB said:
I'm predicting to see a bunch of players using armor lock to "bow down" to someone/something. Maybe just the DMR.

Hmmm, I picture people surrounding a wraith and all using armor lock to blow it up. I wonder how many people it takes to fully destroy it. :D

Not a Jellyfish said:
Hmmm, I picture people surrounding a wraith and all using armor lock to blow it up. I wonder how many people it takes to fully destroy it. :D

Does that work? Armour lock doesnt do any actual damage does it?

I think it would be hilarious to use armour lock near the edge of a map and EMP blast/ Jediforce to throw enemies off the edge :lol

P.S. with the upcoming video footage (what time does it go up?) ive got a feeling when I check this thread tomorow ill have 100 pages to read through =(

Not a Jellyfish said:

Sounds awesome.

I hope armor lock makes you fall at high speeds. Cause if you do I already have a gametype in my head where you have to make it across a space with people trying to kill you by armor locking in the air and falling on you :lol :lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
bobs99 ... said:
Does that work? Armour lock doesnt do any actual damage does it?

I think it would be hilarious to use armour lock near the edge of a map and EMP blast/ Jediforce to throw enemies off the edge :lol

All of these things will have to be tested. :lol

Kibbles

Hmm so the embargo ends at 1500 paris time, which is 9am EST (according to my interwebs calculator). That embargo paper also said the same for the previews, but some of those went up at 7am est? So will some come early tomorrow as well?

After reading through some impressions, it sounds like only one of the two territories needs to be captured for the second round to unlock, and then only one of three for the third round to unlock in Invasoin? Is this true or am I reading it wrong? I hope this is being falsely explained.

MrDaravon

Kibbles said:
Hmm so the embargo ends at 1500 paris time, which is 9am EST (according to my interwebs calculator). That embargo paper also said the same for the previews, but some of those went up at 7am est? So will some come early tomorrow as well?

This would be nice to know, I leave for work about 8am EST but I'll wake up a few minutes early if there's going to be stuff up that early.

GhaleonEB

Stormtrooper30 said:
aftrer reading through some impressions, it sounds like only one of the two territories needs to be captured for the second round to unlock, and then only one of three for the third round to unlock in Invasoin? Is this true or am I reading it wrong? I hope this is being falsely explained.
That's how it was described in the BWU:

Phase 1

To get past the Frigate’s electrofuturistical laser doors, the Elites will first need to target one of two generators positioned inside the Commonwealth. Twenty seconds is all it takes on either designated territory to power the security systems down, but you don’t have all day to get the job done. Fail to shut down the generators in the four minutes allotted for Phase 1, and the Spartans will win. Cue the Marty music and start the celebration.

Phase 2

Once the Elites have pushed beyond the frigate, they’ll want to target one of three newly marked territories. Two are tucked inside the refinery and the third sits in plain sight right beside the Spartan’s vehicle bay. Again, twenty second in any of these territories will shut down the security measures, but this time, there are no laser doors that need bypassing. Four more minutes have been added to the clock to get this phase of the job done. Once the security drops, the data core itself will be ripe for the taking.
My initial reaction was, that sounds too easy. But on reflection, I like how it sounds. Since failure to unlock them would result in the game ending, and given how it ramps up so steeply in Phase 3, I'd rather they make an early shutout a tall order. That way getting one will really feel earned, and more games will get to the crazy stuff at the end.

The one thing I saw from the GTTV footage that I question is the way time gets added. Each Phase is four minutes, but it's not cumulative: when a generator was unlocked, the time went from a minute and change to four minutes even for the next Phase. I'd rather the time stack, so teams that push through the objective quickly get the reward of additional time for the next Phase.

GhaleonEB said:
That's how it was described in the BWU:

My initial reaction was, that sounds too easy. But on reflection, I like how it sounds. Since failure to unlock them would result in the game ending, and given how it ramps up so steeply in Phase 3, I'd rather they make an early shutout a tall order. That way getting one will really feel earned, and more games will get to the crazy stuff at the end.

The one thing I saw from the GTTV footage that I question is the way time gets added. Each Phase is four minutes, but it's not cumulative: when a generator was unlocked, the time went from a minute and change to four minutes even for the next Phase. I'd rather the time stack, so teams that push through the objective quickly get the reward of additional time for the next Phase.
I'm hoping that Generator Defense is a test for a feature being added to Invasion. Two rounds of territories and then one of flag seem kind of bland. The Spartans defending an actual generator with health would be much more fun for the first round.

I think a cool way of doing the second round would be for the three seperate territories to each unlock one (or more) specific routes to the core/back end of the map. That way, only one would be required to get into the base, but defending and attacking the additional ones would still be a viable strategy. The defenders would want to keep the Elites bottled up, and the Elites would want more options.

GhaleonEB

Stormtrooper30 said:
I think a cool way of doing the second round would be for the three seperate territories to each unlock one (or more) specific routes to the core/back end of the map. That way, only one would be required to get into the base, but defending and attacking the additional ones would still be a viable strategy. The defenders would want to keep the Elites bottled up, and the Elites would want more options.
Absolutely, that's how I was hoping it would be when Invasion was first teased. I'd love for that to still be the case; nothing we've seen precludes it, just that one territory is needed to get in.
Son of Godzilla said:
That's silly.
Opinions, mang. It's a small change: each round is four minutes, vs. a new round adding four minutes to the clock. I can see arguments for both sides. One benefit of the current setup is it makes games shorter. But I like the idea of teams that push through quickly getting some reward, and likewise defenders that hold the other team down for most of a round know they cost the other team some time through their efforts. Otherwise, it's all or nothing.

Sai-kun

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
That's silly.

That's how it works in TF2 and it works perfectly. For teams that take forever to push through it gives them time to keep going, and teams that do really well have more time to spare.

So I just watched both bonus discs in Halo 2 and 3. What a difference in just the look and feel of what they are doing. How much more like professional and hyped up those vidocs today are. Although the Halo 2 one did make me want to play it...

Lead Based Paint said:
don't have to be so defensive. Just makes you look worse :D

(The text above indicates an attempt at humor, do not take seriously)

:lol gosh I know. I have no hopes anyways. I can just watch a couple gaffers here on my friends list who I know are getting in, play for a few days before me I guess.

And froth at the mouth.

Natakuu

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Opinions, mang. It's a small change: each round is four minutes, vs. a new round adding four minutes to the clock. I can see arguments for both sides. One benefit of the current setup is it makes games shorter. But I like the idea of teams that push through quickly getting some reward, and likewise defenders that hold the other team down for most of a round know they cost the other team some time through their efforts. Otherwise, it's all or nothing.
The problem with this would be in the third round all the Elites have to do is march an object across a map to a certain point. From the sounds of it it won't reset or anything if they drop it after getting killed right? With Elites being stronger they could just march it across the map bit by bit and with better health and all that extra time..

GhaleonEB said:
Perhaps this is the current setup for the Beta only, to keep the individual game times down. I too hope that the times stack in the final game. Also, because the times don't stack, it removes a sense of urgency from the game and doesn't provide the defenders a definite reason for trying hard in the beginning. Instead, they could hang back and pick a specific tier to really fight hard and stop the defense, instead of going all out the entire time.

Natakuu said:
The problem with this would be in the third round all the Elites have to do is march an object across a map to a certain point. From the sounds of it it won't reset or anything if they drop it after getting killed right? With Elites being stronger they could just march it across the map bit by bit and with better health and all that extra time..
I was hoping there would be some sort of timer on the core. Maybe longer than current flag reset times, but just something. It could maybe slowly be towed back to the base by a little robot or something if the area is kept idle from enemies.

big ander

Not a Jellyfish said:
All of these things will have to be tested. :lol
Agreed. And since you came up with the idea to test it, you get to stand next to the edge first. :D
CrazedArabMan said:
The Bolt moves back 0_0

Hopefully it stays that way for the full game, unlike the H3 beta AR that changed. :(
Whoa.
That's freaking
super
sweet.

CrazedArabMan said:
The Bolt moves back 0_0

Hopefully it stays that way for the full game, unlike the H3 beta AR that changed. :(
You'd think that in 2553 or whatever we still wouldn't be using bolt action guns. :lol Oh well, still looks cool.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
big ander said:
Agreed. And since you came up with the idea to test it, you get to stand next to the edge first. :D

Whoa.
That's freaking
super
sweet.

I love this new meme.

I wonder if
Super
man still hates kryptonite?

Sorry, I HAD to. :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Team Snipers, a level of skill you may have only read about: 13

Teammates:

"Just quit, you're useless anyway, you suck, you're a level 13, just quit goddamnit."

me:

"You guys probably shouldn't be trolling the lower skill levels if you don't want to play with lower skilled players." (paraphrase may exclude profanities)

Teammates: "We're not de-ranking bitch, these are new accounts. JUST QUIT!!! We're trying to get out of this noob ghetto."

me:

"I don't work for you."

The thing is, they were deadly serious. I was impeding their progress through the ranks, by being at the level they were currently inhabiting thanks to the newness of their accounts.

Loam

Finally got back to accessible internet today, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed but...

Does the DMR sound overpowered to anyone else besides myself? Granted a majority of us have yet to play the beta so its all pretty much speculation, however the vidoc makes it sound like an all purpose weapon.

I know about the delay vs spread thing I get that, but to me it looks like they took the BR and gave it the ability to be a mediocre sniper as well.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The thing is, they were deadly serious. I was impeding their progress through the ranks, by being at the level they were currently inhabiting thanks to the newness of their accounts.

Yeah, de-ranking and booster accounts... scourge of Halo

I love how I seemingly cannot play a single match without checking somebody's account and seeing something like (44 exp out of 52 matches, highest level: 48) or some shit like that... of course they haven't played campaign or anything.

big ander

OuterWorldVoice said:

Teammates:

"Just quit, you're useless anyway, you suck, you're a level 13, just quit goddamnit."

me:

"You guys probably shouldn't be trolling the lower skill levels if you don't want to play with lower skilled players." (paraphrase may exclude profanities)

Teammates: "We're not de-ranking bitch, these are new accounts. JUST QUIT!!! We're trying to get out of this noob ghetto."

me:

"I don't work for you."

super
facepalm.

Wren said:
Finally got back to accessible internet today, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed but...

Does the DMR sound overpowered to anyone else besides myself? Granted a majority of us have yet to play the beta so its all pretty much speculation, however the vidoc makes it sound like an all purpose weapon.

I know about the delay vs spread thing I get that, but to me it looks like they took the BR and gave it the ability to be a mediocre sniper as well.
As I learned a couple pages back, though, it's 5 shots instead of 4 now. Also, while it looks like it shows up in some loadouts, it could technically be changed so that you can only get one by picking it up on the map, so that you have to treat it more like a power weapon. But we'll be able to see how powerful it is come Beta time.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Teammates:

me:

me:

"I don't work for you."

Sounds like every snipers game I get into. :lol I usually just respond by shooting the ground the rest of the match.

OuterWorldVoice said:

The blame rests with Bungie for developing MM to give people with fewer games under their belt an advantage. People like that are merely a predictable byproduct.

I'm thinking the Arena will alleviate a lot of that. And I can stop bitching when I'm on a bad team hah.

Butane123

OuterWorldVoice said:
Did you run to the other team yelling out "FREE KILLS!" or something?

I see people do it on B.net quite often as well. They don't last long.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Why are you even trying? :lol Our TrueSkill ranks are stuck harder than a Snorlax in a Hummer. :p
I'm not really expecting to get a 50 but I'd like to level up at least once. Not leveling/deleveling is pretty frustrating but the actual games have been pretty good. Anyways, I'm most playing it to get ready for the beta. Feeling on top of my game right now.

Tashi0106 said:
What's your current rank? I know that when I lose my 50 in MLG it's because I've lost like 14/15 games or 18/20. It also takes around that kind of record to get it back. If not, then 20/23 or something like that. You just gotta run in with a solid squad and really buckle down and just win win win for multiple sessions. Or, maybe you're level locked :/
I'm a 47... always have been, always will be.

I'm just going in alone so there's no way that much randomness will net me 10 straight wins.

Lunchbox

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

Teammates:

me:

me:

"I don't work for you."

why didnt you quit?

Loam

big ander said:
As I learned a couple pages back, though, it's 5 shots instead of 4 now.

Didn't know this, makes it seem a little better. Its just that the gun appears to have pinpoint accuracy from across the map which seems a bit strange for a spawning weapon.

Loxley

I just downloaded the Reach Guide iPhone App, and to whomever made it (I know it's one of you lurking around here) fucking great job. Seriously, nice presentation, and the included videos of each weapon and armor ability was an unexpected and awesome addition :D

All around a top notch app.

Natakuu

Banned
Stormtrooper30 said:
I was hoping there would be some sort of timer on the core. Maybe longer than current flag reset times, but just something. It could maybe slowly be towed back to the base by a little robot or something if the area is kept idle from enemies.
If the core does reset or somehow lose progress with time, then the stacking time would be fine to me. Otherwise I just worry it'd result in it being far too easy for the elites.

Wren said:
Didn't know this, makes it seem a little better. Its just that the gun appears to have pinpoint accuracy from across the map which seems a bit strange for a spawning weapon.
It does have supreme accuracy, but the reduced fire rate at long range and the 5 shot kill means that only the most brain-dead and unaware opponents will be picked off at long range. It definately helps as a support weapon, though.

Natakuu said:
If the core does reset or somehow lose progress with time, then the stacking time would be fine to me. Otherwise I just worry it'd result in it being far too easy for the elites.
Perhaps if after a period of 30 seconds or a minute of Spartan lockdown of the core, they are able to pick it up themselves and move it back to base. I don't know how Bungie could implement this without it being exploited, but at least it would make the job harder for the Elites.

Hah, Phatcorns that montage was great. I love how you control the camera in your montages. I hope that the theater camera in Reach is more fluid than the current one, to make those sorts of shots more natural and easier to capture.

Kibbles

Phatcorns said:
Anybody else mad mad hyped? Watch my mo effin' montage and tell me you didn't get hyped through the mo effin' roof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgUU7PiMnI
Ahh yes, I love all the montages you guys have put together. It's a lot better than watching a bunch of noscopes and shit. Makes me want to go play some Halo :D
Loxley said:
I just downloaded the Reach Guide iPhone App, and to whomever made it (I know it's one of you lurking around here) fucking great job. Seriously, nice presentation, and the included videos of each weapon and armor ability was an unexpected and awesome addition :D

All around a top notch app.

Obligatory.

2nl8ryo.gif

Kapura

Banned
Kibbles said:
RIP Beta AR.
Actually, no. RIP Beta Carbine
Holy cow, you can kill a guy in a single magazine without a beatdown!

And keep the non-quitter mentality strong, Frankie. If being one versus five won't scare you away, neither should your doucher teammates.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wren said:

I think Sage and some other designers have made it very clear that they don't want there to be an all purpose gun like the BR was for Halo 2 and 3 and even the Pistol for Halo CE. Each gun has a specific role with maybe a little overlapping with the DMR vs Magnum and Magnum vs AR. We'll see how this plays out though.

Game2Death said:
You'd think that in 2553 or whatever we still wouldn't be using bolt action guns. :lol Oh well, still looks cool.

Well technically, all guns use a bolt to power the bullet down the chamber and to load in the next round. But if it hurts, it works... :p

Top Bottom