• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Holy fuck I understand it can't be done with Reach's engine on the 360. If you guys are so fine with it they are going to give it to us next gen and next gen and so on forever. They will continue to up the graphics instead of starting off with a solid core and then improving the graphics to a point where that specific console can handle. That's how it should be done, the way its done in CoD's. They make the game run at 60fps and then up the graphics as high as they can go without framerate issues.

Ahh glad to see Idlers in Grifball too! and hes a Field Marshall so I know nothings being done about his credits resetting. Good game guy, good game.

xxjuicesxx said:
Holy fuck I understand it can't be done with Reach's engine on the 360. If you guys are so fine with it they are going to give it to us next gen and next gen and so on forever. They will continue to up the graphics instead of starting off with a solid core and then improving the graphics to a point where that specific console can handle. That's how it should be done, the way its done in CoD's. They make the game run at 60fps and then up the graphics as high as they can go without framerate issues.

Ahh glad to see Idlers in Grifball too! and hes a Field Marshall so I know nothings being done about his credits resetting. Good game guy, good game.

Thats a unfair comparison, CoD seems to cut more corners - Halo provides amazing moments because theres physics programmed into every object. On that level you have to say Bungie have thought about gameplay first and graphics second. Besides 60FPS is only noticeable when you switch between that and 30 FPS a lot (in my opinion).

I do see what your saying though, and hopefully when technology catches up games will all be able to have tons on screen while running smoothly.

bobs99 ... said:
Thats a unfair comparison, CoD seems to cut more corners - Halo provides amazing moments because theres physics programmed into every object. On that level you have to say Bungie have thought about gameplay first and graphics second. Besides 60FPS is only noticeable when you switch between that and 30 FPS a lot (in my opinion).

I do see what your saying though, and hopefully when technology catches up games will all be able to have tons on screen while running smoothly.
Bungie will always push their engine too far and then have to "cut corners" on the frame rate. They have the opposite problem.

I gotta agree with Juices here. One of the main reasons I couldn't get into BF: Bad Company on consoles was 30FPS, especially after playing CoD. Sure, the objectives and style of play are different but they're essentially both military shooters where only a couple of shots kills you. CoD spoiled me and I had a really hard time playing BC. Halo's gameplay has always been pretty solid at 30FPS but imagine how much better and faster it could be at 60FPS. I'm in the camp that all games should be optimized for 60FPS minimum and have your graphics, physics, whatever built around that.

Although I wouldn't mind 24-30FPS for cutscenes if you're trying to make it cinematic. CoD cutscenes feel really jarring to me in that sense.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
You wanna know what IS locked at 30FPS?? My stream bitches!!

http://www.justin.tv/tashiii

MLG Action
So your stream has better FPS than Reach? That's just gonna make Reach look even worse. =/
el oh el

Btw, lets see how this quote makes Juices feel:

Joseph Staten: "Of all the people on the team, Tyson Green and I are probably the people who are most frightening for Jason Jones and the programmers. We are the most crazy-scripting, crack-smoking, 'This'd be so cool. Damn the frame rate! Let's pound the code and make these crazy things happen!'"

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I doubt the framerate will change. I understand 343i is comprised of a team of superstars, but they need experience working as a team. 343i cannot take many risks with its first game. Everything points to the next Halo game being a Halo CE remake with some polish to the Reach engine. That would be a very safe bet for 343i's first entry. Creating a game worthy of the series, with a new campaign and new technology is a very difficult challenge. I am fine with 343i playing it safe first. Halo 4 doesn't need to come out until the time is right.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
godhandiscen said:
I doubt the framerate will change. I understand 343i is comprised of a team of superstars, but they need experience working as a team. 343i cannot take many risks with its first game. Everything points to the next Halo game being a Halo CE remake with some polish to the Reach engine. That would be a very safe bet for 343i's first entry. Creating a game worthy of the series, with a new campaign and new technology is a very difficult challenge. I am fine with 343i playing it safe first. Halo 4 doesn't need to come out until the time is right.

Have you seen some of the folks 343i have hired? Some of the best technical engine coding folks in the industry are now hard at work making our future Halo experiences all the better.

Also, I wish folks would stop expecting a CE remake. =/

Dani said:
Have you seen some of the folks 343i have hired? Some of the best technical engine coding folks in the industry are now hard at work making our future Halo experiences all the better.

Also, I wish folks would stop expecting a CE remake. =/
Believe, yo.

GhaleonEB

Resourced dumped into a remake are not resourced put into new content.
Dax01 said:
Unless that resourced remake had resources put into it to give fans new content.
By definition, if you're remaking an older game, that's time and resources that could be put into a new game. If the higher ups feel the studio needs the training wheels, then it may be for the best. But I prefer new stuff.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
godhandiscen said:

I thought this was all Halo fan hopes/dreams or did I miss something?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dani said:
I want Halo 4, Halo Wars 2 - new stories, new content. I can boot up Halo on PC and play that in HD any day.
..has there been a texture pack release or something I missed? Or are you just talking HD resolution?

PsychoRaven said:
Bah see everyone is wrong. I am 100 percent certain that 343I's first game is non other then a Halo: Reach remake. Mark my words.
I'm thinking it can be another side story with Spartan IIIs. They could call it "Armor Lock: Combat Denied"

PsychoRaven said:
HAHAHAHAHA. That's funny man.
I actually like Armor Lock, in moderation. I scream like a bloodlusting Viking every time I make a sweeping banshee go *BOOM* and disintegrate into blinding light, flame and mechanical gibs. The kind of full throated warcry you could hear from fucking orbit, echoing into eternity and all that.

Speaking of which, would anybody have that HaloGAF gif of Armor Lock LOLZ from the end of the Noble pack video? Its a thing of true beauty.

ElRenoRaven

Yea. While I hate all armor abilities I do use Armor lock as my ability of choice. It also helps that while I hate them I can deal with them. Although if they ever make some AA free team slayer etc I'd move to those lists and never look back.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
Although I wouldn't mind 24-30FPS for cutscenes if you're trying to make it cinematic. CoD cutscenes feel really jarring to me in that sense.
/nd g;kdfsn;gklnsd;kng;lksdgnsndgnsdlkndlkn

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Tashi0106 said:
I thought this was all Halo fan hopes/dreams or did I miss something?
I want new content, but I would prefer if 343i warmed up with an easy task before going into Halo 4.

enzo_gt said:
..has there been a texture pack release or something I missed? Or are you just talking HD resolution?
There was a pretty impressive mod in the works that added quality textures, but I don't know what happened to it.

godhandiscen said:
I want new content, but I would prefer if 343i warmed up with an easy task before going into Halo 4.
They could always go the ODST route. Keep the main team going with Halo 4 for another year, and release a remake* of CE in the interim, with the complete Reach multiplayer suite and a beta invite.

Although I'd prefer to see what twists are in Halo's future.

* To be honest I'd be just fine with a true widescreen HD, 60fps version of CE available on XBLA. I have friends who have never played the first two games, and it'd be awesome for them to get a crack at optimized versions of them.

rar said:
if they remake halo1 they'll just mess it up :/
They might not mess it up, but it won't play like Halo 1, which is an amazing game by its own right. If they stick to the core gameplay as close as possible, improve the graphics and add physics to most objects, it might work.

A Halo 1 built with the Reach engine could be good, too, but I won't be convinced 'till I play it. In any case, this is all speculation. They could be creating something entirely different for all we know.

Plywood said:
/nd g;kdfsn;gklnsd;kng;lksdgnsndgnsdlkndlkn
I knew someone would disagree with this part. As far as I can tell (google) the standard for movies pretty much is 24FPS (23.somethingsomething). Cut scenes in games with 60FPS (CoD) for example look really silly because cut scenes try to emulate movies. It's akin to when you see a movie being played on a 120hz TV on a show room floor and everything is too smooth. Just looks wrong. I guess if I were a PC gamer that were used to higher frame rate games this might not matter to me but I'm not because I can't really afford a high end PC.

I'm actually curious as to what your opinion on the matter is instead of just garble of disapproving letters. Care to share?

Nutter

banner+blog.jpg

Barrow Roll said:
It's akin to when you see a movie being played on a 120hz TV on a show room floor and everything is too smooth. Just looks wrong. I guess if I were a PC gamer that were used to higher frame rate games this might not matter to me but I'm not because I can't really afford a high end PC.
You'd be surprised how few people actually noticed this. I tried pointing it out to my friends several times, but most of them just don't see it. The difference is there, glad I'm not the only one who notices it.

zumphry

Banned
Gunslinger
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking. - 1000 cR

Multiplier
Earn 3 multikills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. - 1500 cR

T-Hug It Out
Kill 15 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. - 3000 cR

Oops! All Kills
Earn 30 Multikills in multiplayer Matchmaking. - 1200 cR

Blue Ninja said:
You'd be surprised how few people actually noticed this. I tried pointing it out to my friends several times, but most of them just don't see it. The difference is there, glad I'm not the only one who notices it.
Yeah when it comes to anything regarding fidelity in movies/TV I'm really picky. Everything has to be in the correct aspect ratio, the FPS has to look right, or it will bug the shit out of me. I have friends that watch 4:3 stuff stretched all the time. Or 16:9 stuff stretched because their players are configured for 4:3 on a 16:9 TV. They don't notice and sometimes just don't even care. Sometimes they'll intentionally do it just to see how long it takes for me to notice and fix it which is almost always right away. :lol

GhaleonEB

Multiplier
Earn 3 multikills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. - 1500 cR

T-Hug It Out
Kill 15 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. - 3000 cR
One game of Griffball, 4500 cR. Nice!

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
One game of Griffball, 4500 cR. Nice!
5700 if you go beast mode and pick this one up:

Oops! All Kills
Earn 30 Multikills in multiplayer Matchmaking. - 1200 cR

I am also not ruling out the possibility of the 100 kills one...I had a game with 69 kills...but all in all two games for all the challenges.

CozMick

Banned
All daily challenges done in 5 games of grifball :p

I'm currently trying to get 1,000,000 points in a game of FireFight...........alone.

Is it even possible?

GhaleonEB

Is there any kind of deterrant for betrayals in Griffball? I played three games that went like this: two guys on our team quit right away on the first, then two on the other quit right away on the second, and in the third one guy on our team is indiscriminately swinging the hammer at his teammates. I was betrayed over a half dozen times.

zumphry

Banned
CozMick said:
Shame :(

What do you mean by "cheating"?

JTags or just general exploiting?

I think Dax means going into a custom Firefight game, making yourself invincible and giving yourself Rockets and Sword (or whatever) and going to town on Grunts or Elites.

EDIT: and beaten

CozMick

Banned
@ Dax01, GhaleonEB and ZayneH

Haha, thanks guys, for some reason I always place cheating the in the "Zomg! hax! lag switches!" category :D

thanks again for the info ;)

feel

NullPointer said:
Speaking of which, would anybody have that HaloGAF gif of Armor Lock LOLZ from the end of the Noble pack video? Its a thing of true beauty.
I think you dreamed about it. Such gif doesn't exist, unless I missed it.

edit- oh, lol who made that? Crazy dude...

Pete Rock

Awesome

Someone needs to make one slow-mo style featuring the deal with it glasses dropping in as his flaming disco-move connects with the ground

My hatred for AL knows no bounds

Well, I suppose Grifball is a close second

Do they have an AL loadout in GB? That would be spectacular

Top Bottom