• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

MrBig

Letters said:
Post it when it's done, we have nothing better going on.

Not sure if want, I think Halo CE looks perfect as it is. It just needs a 16:9 1080p 60fps touch up, with live functions. Reach engine would only add desaturation, framerate problems, blurryness, JAGGIES, plus remove the classic physics, art-style and feel of it.
I like how you put the worst problem with CE in capitals. Not to mention CE had plenty of framerate problems, burred textures and almost non existent physics.

I still don't want any company to do a recreation of CE. It's something that needs to be made as a mod in the pc version of Bungie's next game. That way people who actually care about preserving everything will be doing all the work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MrBig said:
I like how you put the worst problem with CE in capitals. Not to mention CE had plenty of framerate problems, burred textures and almost non existent physics.

I still don't want any company to do a recreation of CE. It's something that needs to be made as a mod in the pc version of Bungie's next game. That way people who actually care about preserving everything will be doing all the work.
Halo CE is not Halo CE without those Warthog jump physics. I would have it no other way.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:

Um did we play the same Halo? The original was rock solid. I never once had any slowdown at all in that and I played the hell out of it not only on the Xbox but the PC too.

PsychoRaven said:
Um did we play the same Halo? The original was rock solid. I never once had any slowdown at all in that and I played the hell out of it not only on the Xbox but the PC too.

I was thinking the same exact thing. It never had framerate issues on the original Xbox. On the 360 it had major problems though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:
I was thinking the same exact thing. It never had framerate issues on the original Xbox. On the 360 it had major problems though.

What? lol

Halo: CE was notorious for having framerate issues. One of the big promises Bungie made for Halo 2 was that they were going to have it locked at 30. The framerate is particularly bad in the big open snow areas later in the game.

ElRenoRaven

Kuroyume said:
What? lol

Halo: CE was notorious for having framerate issues. One of the big promises Bungie made for Halo 2 was that they were going to have it locked at 30. The framerate is particularly bad in the big open snow areas later in the game.

Then I must have the magical copy then.

xxjuicesxx said:
That's cool, I'm just one of those weird people that enjoy how a game plays over how it looks.

That's cool, I'm just one of those weird people that enjoys being able to clearly see things on screen, rather than seeing a bunch of blocks moving smoothly on my TV.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
You've a copy of Halo Xbox locked at 30FPS? I'll trade you this gold horse for it.

I never said it was locked did I? I simply said it doesn't drop a shit ton like some are making it out to. To hear some people it runs at 10 fps a lot. Does it dip here and there sure when a ton of shit is going on on screen yes. However under regular play where you won't have a metric ton of enemies on screen fighting it out causing lots of explosions it's damn smooth and rarely drops below 30.

*Edit* You know I think the problem is playstyles. Some like to drag a lot of enemies into an area and fight and some like to kill as they go resulting in fewer enemies in an area.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
That's cool, I'm just one of those weird people that enjoy how a game plays over how it looks.

Halo multiplayer is great locked at 30. There are more important issues than AA and framerate

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
Yes it really is. 30 fps is more then enough as long as it's smooth as hell. If it can be achieved while adding some improvements then that's all the better.

With PC gaming, it's hard to want to settle with just 30FPS. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see a Halo FPS on the 360 going higher. There's just so much more to Halo than most other games out there, I wouldn't want to sacrifice features and visuals. The jump from Halo 3 to Reach is amazing from an engine perspective but it's hard to see where they would go next. The 360 has limits and surely Reach is pushing up against them.

And ideal world has Halo at 60FPS without any sacrifices and it just isn't possible at the moment.

ElRenoRaven

neoism said:
this.. I'm the only one that played bumper hogs on BloodGlucth for hours...lol :p

Oh I agree. I'd hope they would bring back those physics. I loved playing bumper hogs on Bloodgultch with friends. We'd spend hours just driving around and ramping off each other and into each other in various ways. Some of my best memories without a doubt.

ElRenoRaven

Yea. Glacier while cool looking does have some big framerate issues. I really wish Bungie could fix that somehow if they do a title update.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. Glacier while cool looking does have some big framerate issues. I really wish Bungie could fix that somehow if they do a title update.
Cut the map in two. :O

Plywood said:
Cut the map in two. :O

More like, cut out a ton of the shit in the entryway to the lab. There's a ton of tiny objects that aren't far enough away for the LOD models to kick in it seems, so it's rendering those, as well as all the enemies, players, world, etc. :\

zumphry

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Max Dyckhoff answered some question over twitter and somebody asked him if the community has found out all the easter eggs in Halo: Reach. He said: No, there is a bunch more. But he said that he wasn't up to date, too.

IIRC, Halo 1 and 2 still doesn't have every easter egg uncovered. Though, I believe it's been awhile since I read whatever post/article said that.

I doubt Reach (especially with Exodus and New Alexandria) has been fully explored yet. Sure, the huge things (Pelican/Phantom piloting, Reach Raceeeeeeer, etc) have been found, but there's still little things.

I wonder if there's a megg or rex in there somewhere..

feel

MrBig said:

My comparison was between 1080p/60fps/jaggie-free original Halo CE (think perfect dark xbla, IQ wise) and Reach engine Halo CE.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
With PC gaming, it's hard to want to settle with just 30FPS. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see a Halo FPS on the 360 going higher. There's just so much more to Halo than most other games out there, I wouldn't want to sacrifice features and visuals. The jump from Halo 3 to Reach is amazing from an engine perspective but it's hard to see where they would go next. The 360 has limits and surely Reach is pushing up against them.

And ideal world has Halo at 60FPS without any sacrifices and it just isn't possible at the moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCZ5E5tn4I

Any tips for the Golden Tree challenge today for those that did it? I've been following this page with updates, and just now spent half an hour trying several times to find it in the area mentioned (around Errera's), with no luck.

ElRenoRaven

Well for me I just went down to 175 on elevation and flew around the club. Tons of Banshee's attacked me and eventually it came flying by. It was hard as hell to catch up and kill but you can do it once your full thrust kicks in.

It's really just a waiting game other wise.

GhaleonEB said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCZ5E5tn4I

Any tips for the Golden Tree challenge today for those that did it? I've been following this page with updates, and just now spent half an hour trying several times to find it in the area mentioned (around Errera's), with no luck.

Odd, I was on the Northwest side of the club, and just flew around there for a bit. He finally showed up after a few minutes, and flew directly west.

ElRenoRaven

Yea apparently he spawns and flies around the map and doesn't despawn from what I have read. He seems to fly by there every so often too. So that seems to be why that spot is a good waiting spot. It seems that it varies when you see him. For me about 15 to 20 mins is how long I waited.

equil

The way I found him was as soon as I started the level, I just went down to like 25 altitude, and started flying around the city.
After I killed about 35 banshees he finally showed up.
(My friend found it the same way, and also killed around 35 banshees)

I actually had to revert checkpoint like twice because he flew out of the map as soon as i saw him.

ElRenoRaven

Kuroyume said:
How do you know it's him? Is the Banshee a different color?

The only way to know it's him is that he constantly boosts and will not pay you any attention at all.

ZayneH said:
I'm looking in theater and he spawned in the map 6:00 in. Spawned around Club Errera and just outside/in front of the building with the Phantom/Pelican switch. Gonna try to hang around there.

Clip Link (Not rendered)

Hmm. I wonder what the variance is. I know for others like me he sure didn't spawn that fast.

equil

This is definitely the most creative challenge we've had.

I thought of the challenge as if i were playing like an RPG game. If you kill enough of the minions the boss will eventually spawn.

Top Bottom