• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

So yeah, after flying around/playing the level for about 40 mins I just restarted and flew straight to the club building. Dropped my altitude and sat there for about 6 mins and finally got him. Wish I knew that beforehand, would've saved me all that time.

zumphry

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
So yeah, after flying around/playing the level for about 40 mins I just restarted and flew straight to the club building. Dropped my altitude and sat there for about 6 mins and finally got him. Wish I knew that beforehand, would've saved me all that time.

I got him pretty far away from the club, around the hospital this time.

I think it's due to the number of Banshees you kill, like equil said, since I killed about 35 before I got him.

Best challenge in awhile, and it actually sparked conversation about how to get it and started a witch (or should I say Banshee? :p) hunt. Too bad I doubt we'll get one like this every day from now on, though I hope we get ones like this every one to two weeks.

So I was talking with one of my friends today and he mentioned that Halo rips off several ideas from an old Sci-Fi novel, which he didn't remember the name of. I've heard this before and I didn't really care cause Halo is fun. But I decided to look into it. He must've been talking about Ringworld by Larry Niven and the more I look into it, too many story elements are just too exceedingly similar. I'm betting this isn't new at all to most of you. What I want to know is if Bungie has ever made any official statement on the comparisons and if these similarities are direct inspiration.

And yeah, nothing is really original anymore, almost everything nowadays is derived from something. But I'm hoping HaloGAF can shed some more light on this.

ElRenoRaven

Barrow Roll said:
So I was talking with one of my friends today and he mentioned that Halo rips off several ideas from an old Sci-Fi novel, which he didn't remember the name of. I've heard this before and I didn't really care cause Halo is fun. But I decided to look into it. He must've been talking about Ringworld by Larry Niven and the more I look into it, too many story elements are just too exceedingly similar. I'm betting this isn't new at all to most of you. What I want to know is if Bungie has ever made any official statement on the comparisons and if these similarities are direct inspiration.

And yeah, nothing is really original anymore, almost everything nowadays is derived from something. But I'm hoping HaloGAF can shed some more light on this.

I believe it's been said several times that yes Ringworld was one of the inspirations for Halo. In fact I think he was asked to write the first novel but declined if I remember right.

zumphry

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
I believe it's been said several times that yes Ringworld was one of the inspirations for Halo. In fact I think he was asked to write the first novel but declined if I remember right.

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/halo_culture.html

The following piece appeared in the August 2000 issue of PC Gamer (US):

"We're all huge sci-fi fans here," says Jones, "and with a few notable exceptions, Hollywood has forgotten how to make a real sci-fi film So a lot of our inspiration has come from literature."
Unlike cinema, which often blandly duplicates the success of former crowd-pleasers like Blade Runner, current sci-fi authors like Neal Stephenson (snow crash), Iain Banks (Consider Phlebas) and Peter Hamilton (The Neutronium Alchemist) provide the petrol that fuels the imagination of Halo's team. "In the way that Iain Banks is really hard sci-fi, we're trying to stay very realistic," says Jones. "Every thing in the game should be realistic and believable, which is something that Banks does really well."

We've all seen some of the amazing screenshots of Halo, but even Jones admits that "everyone stops paying attention to what a game looks like after a couple of hours of playing it," he says. So why is Halo going to be more filling than just a bowl of icing? Jones claims that the single player game, which many shooters have abandoned in recent months, is going to be as good as any game out there. "We think we have a story that is so good," he says "you could write a book about it and sell it as a sci-fi novel."

EDIT: And because I don't want every other post to be one of mine..

One Spartan Army
Kill 400 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. - 2000cR

Hyper Lethal Vector
Kill 150 enemies with headshots in Firefight Matchmaking. - 3000cR

Weapon Swap
Earn 10 sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic or harder. - 1000cR

One Game, One Spawn
Complete a Firefight Matchmaking game without dying. - 1200cR

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Took me killing 130 banshees until I finally found the Tree City. Awesome challenge is awesome.

I also got to advance my 'Right of Way' Commendation as a result of the challenge. :D

I'm sorry but to say my H2Vista at 100fps isn't incredible compared to H2 on an Xbox is ridiculous.

Halo at 30 fps is cool and all, because honestly it hasn't been that fast since H2 (H3 is probably running at 20 fps and Reach probably averages 25fps) I mean the games are just SLOW. After playing a considerable duration of MW's it really hits you, especially if you play UT a lot on a dec' PC. Anyone can attest to this, and if you can't you need to check out this: http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html because there IS a difference.

The added frames add a more complete picture to what is truly happening in the game. This makes the game easier to play because when you control you get a smoother response between controller input and the ingame response. Your brain also has to "fill in" less details this makes it easier on the eyes and mind. I seem a lot less stressed playing CoD than I do playing Halo physically.

Now how much is too much? Who knows is the answer. Hell if it was a video of someone standing against a wall 1fps would be enough...for TV 29.97 or the commonly called "30 fps" seems to be enough. With clearer graphics and faster actions that are more common in modern gaming on screen you tend to need more to get a complete representation of the events that unfold. Generally 60fps-90fps seems to be the goal these days.

Regardless:

I never really played Halo: CE, everyone I talk to is like OMG the campaign is the best! or from competitive players "Halo 1 was the shit, OMG THE PISTOL! so much skill OMG!" And so many people ranking it the best Halo, I only ask..Why would any of these people want a remake? Where the hell can that game go but down if its so amazing? I say fuck off with CE. Dish out a new Halo (at 60 fps :) )

Tashi0106 said:
Halo multiplayer is great locked at 30. There are more important issues than AA and framerate

Also, these problems you seem to be referring to will be fixed as soon as Bungie or 343 decides to hire someone with the balls to do something about these problems...

reach_12856684_Full.jpg

The only acceptable way to end a Gruntpocalypse/Corvette.

ShinAmano

So last night in Grifball...my close quarters commendation is almost Onyx...I got my extermination...and the Hammer has replaced my Shotgun at number 4 in kills...and i knocked out the weekly in an hour...now I only need to get that Killionaire...

Reach is the only Halo that has issues with frame-rate in multiplayer, outside of split screen, something I've not found with any other Halo. That's a pretty huge disappointment to me. I can even understand it, in some of the fan made forge maps, but when I run into it in Tempest, that's some bullshit.

It's not game breaking, but it's still hugely disappointing.

Pete Rock

kylej said:
After a strong start I'm starting to feel symptoms of Shishka PTSD.
Pretty much

After hearing about these necessary fundamental tweaks to Grifball it really is utterly laughable that once again RR is given the short straw, even though it was completed rehauled in-house and in the initial state required no community input/iteration whatsoever.

The only change they could possibly make would be to put a red blinking arrow instead of a white one, the rest of the mechanics are absolutely perfect. What do we get? Shit on in Multiteam for 3+ months

I hope GB gets folded into team slayer after a two week "trial" even though it was ran every other fucking weekend in Halo 3 and might as well have been permanent. I hope in a month you have to round up 6 people and go into a goddamn 8 player hopper to get a majority, just to play what you actually want. I really do. Catch that disease, ffs.

This awful type of experience micro-management is the worst part of Halo without a doubt and always has been, it's just simply exacerbated in the context of all the bullshit content featured in Reach, awful forge maps & aa's littering everything. Good thing there's always an excuse to keep tinkering with this garbage like some laws of thermodynamics are at play when considering trueskill and connections in optimatch relative to these offerings.

Thankfully after 3 years of dealing with that garbage in Halo 3 and then moving on to playing other games on the platform like BF & COD, you realize it's all just flagrant bullshit in the context of what's actually produced relative to the experience offered by other more cogently designed games with dropin/dropout.

No, it's been made patently clear you really don't know what I should be doing with my free time to best enjoy myself when playing your game in any particular format, thanks. No amount of scout badges or armor boondoggle keychains or "cR" is going to make up for that utter failure.

I change my mind, that Golden Tree City challenge sucks balls. I spent countless attempts at finding him, so many reloads and restart levels and looking up where he supposedly is and I'm convinced he doesn't exist :| I thought it was a cool creative challenge but when you can't rely on the elite being in a certain area consistently...yeah. Screw that challenge. Next time make the challenge something that's in a set location every time please! The cool aspect is finding something you haven't found, not sitting around killing duds for endless amounts of time hoping your target will show up...At least it was still a creative challenge.

On another note, I played twice with a guy that's ranked Eclipse....gooutside/getalife/etc.gif

Gui_PT

Squall ASF said:
I change my mind, that Golden Tree City challenge sucks balls. I spent countless attempts at finding him, so many reloads and restart levels and looking up where he supposedly is and I'm convinced he doesn't exist :| I thought it was a cool creative challenge but when you can't rely on the elite being in a certain area consistently...yeah. Screw that challenge. Next time make the challenge something that's in a set location every time please! The cool aspect is finding something you haven't found, not sitting around killing duds for endless amounts of time hoping your target will show up...At least it was still a creative challenge.

On another note, I played twice with a guy that's ranked Eclipse....gooutside/getalife/etc.gif

It was a good challenge because it was different than the rest we're used to.

It was a horrible challenge because it's based on luck. There shouldn't be challenges based on luck.

ShinAmano

Gui_PT said:
It was a good challenge because it was different than the rest we're used to.

It was a horrible challenge because it's based on luck. There shouldn't be challenges based on luck.
Yeah I liked the idea...

I fired up that stage and immediately after taking off I saw a banshee boosting through the level...halfway across the stage...no chance to actually catch up with it.

I reloaded once gave finding him again a try and then gave up.

I didn't have the necessary time to devote to it. Tried it a few times after watching someone's posted video, but no luck.

I have to say that New Alexandria is my absolute least favorite level of the campaign. The aerial combat get old extremely fast, the encounters inside the buildings offer nothing interesting (excluding the Club Errera glitch) and are extremely limited in how many ways you can engage the enemy. Even the cutscene at the end of the mission gives way to one of the most ridiculous and mishandled deaths in the game.

All that said, I did enjoy the challenge, even though I failed at it. I really hope to see many more interesting ones like that.

Squall ASF said:

Yeah I spent 1.5 hours restarting the level, I played through to 24 minutes once too. No dice for me. I gave it my best shot, and my buddy found it on his game while we were in party chat, so it wasn't a huge deal. That said though, it was definitely a good mixture of luck, fun, and a challenge.

Grifball seems different this time. More spread out. The hammers feel different too.

Anyone else get a weird glitch when you hammer someone and your hammer disappears because it is 'near simultaneous'?

Either way, I had a blast last night and finally got my Killtacular avatar award.

Ramirez

Hey You said:
Give NoF sometime, hes just cleaning up. Shishka did design the launch playlists afterall.

Because it takes 5 months to remove drop shields and other stupid stuff. :lol

It's like people forget Halo 2 still had SMG starts in BTB way late in it's life span, NoF is no better.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I didn't have the necessary time to devote to it. Tried it a few times after watching someone's posted video, but no luck.

I have to say that New Alexandria is my absolute least favorite level of the campaign. The aerial combat get old extremely fast, the encounters inside the buildings offer nothing interesting (excluding the Club Errera glitch) and are extremely limited in how many ways you can engage the enemy. Even the cutscene at the end of the mission gives way to one of the most ridiculous and mishandled deaths in the game.

All that said, I did enjoy the challenge, even though I failed at it. I really hope to see many more interesting ones like that.
I generally agree, though I like flying around New Alexandria. I wish the Falcon had a secondary fire mode similar to the Hornet or Saber - holding down the trigger to shoot bursts of machinegun fire at pairs of Banshees does get old. I find the Falcon very fun to fly and I love cruising around the city, but the actual combat feels like its missing something. I do appreciate that the mission structure gets mixed up with each load.

The infantry encounters are kind of odd. I like the hospital one - it can play out very differently depending on load out and approach - but the Hunter and Bugger ones are too simple, I think. One type of enemy which can be sprinted past.

I liked the Challenge even though I couldn't complete it. I just ran out of time/patience last night. Loving today's, of course. Firefight Challenge day is always a happy day. Completing a round of Score Attack such that multiple Challenges stack feels good.

Toddler

Someone at Bungie needs to change the lightbulbs in the Collosium. I can't see shit on GGL.

...and yes, the settings on my TV are fine.

ShinAmano

Toddler said:
Someone at Bungie needs to change the lightbulbs in the Collosium. I can't see shit on GGL.

Is that the one with the window and GGL outside? If so I agree.

NOKYARD

Toddler said:

That's not the map we sent them. Grifball Coliseum removes the Grid and has 2 white lights embedded in the inside windows. If you are not playing split-screen it does help to illuminate players on the dark side of the map.

ElRenoRaven

You know I've finally had it today. I'm so goddamn sick and tired of how restrictive Bungie is on the soft kill zones in firefight. It's Take glacier. I'm in the middle of the map and because I decided to walk into a small indention of rock I get the warning. The canopy that is just fine to stand on in campaign is of course a kill zone. You jetpack up to a pole top in the middle of the map and yup you guessed it kill zone.

In multiplayer I can understand but calm the fuck down with it in firefight. Some days I really miss how firefight and multiplayer were done in old games. Give me hard boundries any day of the week.

GhaleonEB

The main thing I don't like about Griffball is, more than any other game type, it's dependant on both teams playing to the objective. If one team wants to play Slayer in CTF, the other team can counter by focusing on the objective and still win the game.

Last night, I played one Griffball game (for the daily multi kill Challenge) where the other team was clearly just working on the weekly Challenge. They'd snag the ball (helped by the fact that one guy on our team dropped), and then the guy with the ball just sat at the back of the map, near their spawn zones, while the other three worked toward our spawns. They didn't want to play ball, they wanted multi kills, and there was nothing we could do to counter it.

When everyone's playing, it can be quite fun. But it enables griefing more than most game types.

GhaleonEB said:
I generally agree, though I like flying around New Alexandria. I wish the Falcon had a secondary fire mode similar to the Hornet or Saber - holding down the trigger to shoot bursts of machinegun fire at pairs of Banshees does get old. I find the Falcon very fun to fly and I love cruising around the city, but the actual combat feels like its missing something. I do appreciate that the mission structure gets mixed up with each load.

The infantry encounters are kind of odd. I like the hospital one - it can play out very differently depending on load out and approach - but the Hunter and Bugger ones are too simple, I think. One type of enemy which can be sprinted past.

I liked the Challenge even though I couldn't complete it. I just ran out of time/patience last night. Loving today's, of course. Firefight Challenge day is always a happy day. Completing a round of Score Attack such that multiple Challenges stack feels good.
The only real problem that I have with the Falcon is having to look 'up' and fire at a target. Hovering at such a low level last night in Campaign really brought to light how awkward it is to have to look through the bottom of the Falcon and not be able to see your target, only red crosshairs. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to happen very often, so it's a minor gripe.

Griffball edit: Last night I felt like I was walking through mud. Cold mud. Does the gametype decrease the speed, or does Griffball just accentuate how bad the default run speed is?

GhaleonEB said:
The main thing I don't like about Griffball is, more than any other game type, it's dependant on both teams playing to the objective. If one team wants to play Slayer in CTF, the other team can counter by focusing on the objective and still win the game.

Last night, I played one Griffball game (for the daily multi kill Challenge) where the other team was clearly just working on the weekly Challenge. They'd snag the ball (helped by the fact that one guy on our team dropped), and then the guy with the ball just sat at the back of the map, near their spawn zones, while the other three worked toward our spawns. They didn't want to play ball, they wanted multi kills, and there was nothing we could do to counter it.

When everyone's playing, it can be quite fun. But it enables griefing more than most game types.
I'm down to play tonight.

Edit: Does anyone know when the next large gaming press event is? I need more announcements for games I care about/possible next Halo/Bungie game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shake Appeal said:
Can't believe Tashi thinks framerate isn't important, given how significant it is for input latency.
It's because I've never had a problem with it.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

Yup. I may have played it for the weekly but I would still try to win. I regularly had people on my team grab the ball and not try to score. Needless to say with no booting for betrayels I would simply come up from behind smack them then go for the goal with the ball. I'd actually score most of the time too. lol

ShinAmano

PsychoRaven said:
In multiplayer I can understand but calm the fuck down with it in firefight. Some days I really miss how firefight and multiplayer were done in old games. Give me hard boundries any day of the week.
I miss them as well...ODST firefight is the best firefight...and the best out of bounds goes to snowbound (I think that is the maps name...one with the guns that kill you if you leave the field).

ElRenoRaven

ShinAmano said:
I miss them as well...ODST firefight is the best firefight...and the best out of bounds goes to snowbound (I think that is the maps name...one with the guns that kill you if you leave the field).

Yup. Snowbound was nice the way it handled it. Also it didn't have kill zones all over the place. Take overlook. Do you really need a kill zone on top of that set of stalls roof but not the others? Or how about that one silo with the kill zone around it while the other silo doesn't. Both still out in the middle of the play area mind you. Then how about the bridge. Does the top of the bridge you can run across need a kill zone? Really? Same on the map with the annoying sniper that respawns.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
PsychoRaven said:
Yup. Snowbound was nice the way it handled it. Also it didn't have kill zones all over the place. Take overlook. Do you really need a kill zone on top of that set of stalls roof but not the others? Or how about that one silo with the kill zone around it while the other silo doesn't. Both still out in the middle of the play area mind you.

Then how about the bridge. Does the top of the bridge you can run across need a kill zone? Really? Same on the map with the annoying sniper that respawns.

That would be Waterfront. I hate that you can't be on top of that bridge. And those damn Jackal snipers...

ElRenoRaven

Judderman said:
That would be Waterfront. I hate that you can't be on top of that bridge. And those damn Jackal snipers...

Ah yup Waterfront. I hate that map with a passion and only because of that sniper. Whoever thought it would be fun to put a sniper with a beam rifle up there should be shot.

Jack Scofield said:
You just spent a ton of time trying to fulfill a challenge for useless space points.

Pot, meet kettle.

Yes, because an hour or so is completely comparable to the endless hours he played to get that rank...... common, meet sense.

PsychoRaven said:
Ah yup Waterfront. I hate that map with a passion and only because of that sniper. Whoever thought it would be fun to put a sniper with a beam rifle up there should be shot.
I looooove Waterfront, especially for Sniperfight. Back Bridge + Drop Shield = many points. Jackal snipers go for the fools on the main area, so you can pick them off with relative ease.

I call Blissful Ignorance.

If you had two copies of Halo Reach, but one ran at 25fps and one ran at 60fps...I'm pretty sure I know which copy any sane person would pop in. Don't just say OH 30 fps is OK. State your fuckin demand for a 60 fps game so they can see that its important to us.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:

If you had two copies of Halo Reach, but one ran at 25fps and one ran at 60fps...I'm pretty sure I know which copy any sane person would pop in. Don't just say OH 30 fps is OK. State your fuckin demand for a 60 fps game so they can see that its important to us.

I don't think it's technically possible to have all the visual polish of Reach, and everything the engine does, and get that higher of a framerate. We're being restricted by the hardware here. We'll be waiting until next gen for a possible 60FPS console Halo and even then I have doubts.

Unless 343i can perform some dark arts.

MrBig

Barrow Roll said:

The ringworld series is one of my favorite series. While Halo was certainly inspired from it, the plot is nothing alike. I haven't read them but people say Halo is closer to the Culture series.

Tashi0106 said:
No I meant input latency. The framerate is totally fine for me until it drops.

The idea is this, when looking at a game running at 30 fps you have a .033 seconds (about 33 milliseconds) between when you move a joystiq, and that can appear on screen. So if you are trying to react to a frame in a fighting game, you could be looking at 66 milliseconds between seeing a move start, and your even being able to see your reaction.

That can be pretty rough, and in PC shooters like UT, where they move a hundred miles an hour, and have 0 auto aim, the difference between 30-60 fps can make a pretty big difference.

Console shooters though, they feature a ton of auto aim, and are generally wayyyyy slower than those M+K featured PC shooters so I think it smoothes that out a lot. Especially considering that Reach's Network latency tolerances are up around 100 ms or more, generally the reaction time improved by the game moving to 60 fps wouldn't be that noticiable.

In other words I'm fine with 30 fps in my Halo's, the fact that it has issues is bullshit though.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
I don't think it's technically possible to have all the visual polish of Reach, and everything the engine does, and get that higher of a framerate. We're being restricted by the hardware here. We'll be waiting until next gen for a possible 60FPS console Halo and even then I have doubts.

Exactly every gen people think that oh it'll be nothing but 60 fps now. Of course every gen it isn't. As long as developers have the ability to add more graphics wise to a game for the sake of fps you will always have a good chunk of games that run 30 fps. Course plenty of people are ok with that.

Personally I've never understood the 60 fps or bust crowd and probably won't. Course I'm sure that crowd says the same thing about us 30 fps is ok crowd. That's life.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:

If you had two copies of Halo Reach, but one ran at 25fps and one ran at 60fps...I'm pretty sure I know which copy any sane person would pop in.
Don't just say OH 30 fps is OK. State your fuckin demand for a 60 fps game so they can see that its important to us.

Yea no shit.

All I'm saying is why is 60FPS so important now when we've all loved and enjoyed Halo at sub 60 for sooooooooo long? Whatever the framerate is, I just want it locked.

electricpirate said:
The idea is this, when looking at a game running at 30 fps you have a .033 seconds (about 33 milliseconds) between when you move a joystiq, and that can appear on screen. So if you are trying to react to a frame in a fighting game, you could be looking at 66 milliseconds between seeing a move start, and your even being able to see your reaction.

That can be pretty rough, and in PC shooters like UT, where they move a hundred miles an hour, and have 0 auto aim, the difference between 30-60 fps can make a pretty big difference.

Console shooters though, they feature a ton of auto aim, and are generally wayyyyy slower than those M+K featured PC shooters so I think it smoothes that out a lot. Especially considering that Reach's Network latency tolerances are up around 100 ms or more, generally the reaction time improved by the game moving to 60 fps wouldn't be that noticiable.

In other words I'm fine with 30 fps in my Halo's, the fact that it has issues is bullshit though.

No I understand all that. The bold is what I'm saying basically.

xxjuicesxx said:

I hate to say it, but posts like this make me glad that Bungie avoids reacting to what the community wants. :p

Its easy to demand 60fps, but when you consider the technicals behind it im pretty sure it would limit how many objects can be on screen etc. Screw 60FPS, you adjust to 30FPS fairly quick anyway.

I know about the affects on input latency, but I never really noticed them :S

pakkit said:
I like Grifball. It's a nice change of pace, and it can get really thrilling in the later rounds.

Evolved > Vanilla

agreed Evade is a really nice addition to Griffball.

I also really like that curvy floor arena, loooooong jumps off the side for the score are great.

kylej

Banned
Dani said:

How about just an engine that doesn't crumble while rendering a small symmetrical level made up of 10 different grey blocks?

Top Bottom