• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Louis Wu said:
Wow, that was the worst flyover I've ever seen. Most of the time is spent on the OLD geometry, with some of the new actually skipped over (the new ramp down to the sniper alley is visible only in the periphery)... and basic common-sense stuff like "if you're gonna show a new mancannon, show where it goes" is ignored.

I guess it doesn't matter much; I'm too busy to play at all right now, and I'm sure that when I DO find time, I'll be able to figure out the new stuff pretty quickly... but geez, if you're gonna make a flyover, you should at least TRY to show folks what's new. :(
I did the watch downloaded film/look at map in forge mode trick yesterday and I'm overall rather disappointed in the changes. A couple of new routes from the bottom level that still put you very much in harm's way when trying to get out of there off spawn. Nothing was done to eliminate the long walkways with no strafing room and the only thing done to alleviate the dominance of the pro-pipe walkway was to lose the med kit. I'm still reserving final judgment until I can get a (non-Elite Slayer) game on it, but dreams died when I was hopping around on it last night. :(

Hey You

wwm0nkey said:
Wonder if Bungie will be removing Cougar Plaza since it was stolen and replace it with the original one by the original author.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what Jeremiah says/does. They may keep it in there till things get figured out.

But again, they don't have to remove it if they don't want to.

Played a few games of Community Slayer yesterday. I agree that Historical Site seems pretty cool. The other Site (Mining Site?) had vehicles which I enjoy, but it also randomly gave me a suicide while driving a ghost...which I didn't enjoy.

I've only seen 3 or 4 of the new maps but what I've seen has been an improvement over the original offerings. Thanks Bungie.

EDIT:
op_ivy said:
holy shit, carnage palace (is that the right name) is fucking terrible! how the hell does a map THAT BAD make it into the community playlist? it makes every one of the other community maps done look AAA in comparison.
Well, now I kind of WANT to play it just to see how bad it is, Phantom Menace style.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit, carnage palace (is that the right name) is fucking terrible! how the hell does a map THAT BAD make it into the community playlist? it makes every one of the other community maps done look AAA in comparison.

Demoncarnotaur said:
So I just had an amazing moment on Paridiso. I was driving a mongoose, my friend on the back. We jumped off the cliff toward the battle and.. well..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/cplqpictures/reach_13712117_Full.jpg

http://seventhcolumn.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13712484&player=DemonCarnotaur

If anyone has some spare render points and doesn't mind I would appreciate it. I was in tears laughing when this happened. God, I love this game.

Woah, when the hell did they add the seventhcolumn.bungie.net bit? Nice video by the way!

Anyone played the new warthog race yet? Whats it like, if I find time I wanna jump on Reach tonight and try out the changes. :p

vhfive

bobs99 ... said:
Woah, when the hell did they add the seventhcolumn.bungie.net bit? Nice video by the way!

Anyone played the new warthog race yet? Whats it like, if I find time I wanna jump on Reach tonight and try out the changes. :p
it's like rocket race but crazier

krakov

I'm really longing for new maps and I consider myself to have really good patience, but the community playlist is amazingly awful. I hope for the next wave of maps there is a completely unaltered version of the coliseum (except for a small platform only reachable with jetpack) with 98 snipers and 78 rockets. EDIT: Also one DMR/Nerfle, tops.

zumphry

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Woah, when the hell did they add the seventhcolumn.bungie.net bit?

IIRC, it's been there since day one due to the community groups. People just use it instead of the regular address due to that being what some of the admins and mods there use.

But I'm probably wrong there on something..

Louis Wu

I updated my post about this on the last page, but we all know about going back a page...

ZayneH was able to get me the first Bungie Carnage Report, so that's online now too.

If you're not subscribed:

Carnage Report 001
Carnage Report 002

ZayneH said:
IIRC, it's been there since day one due to the community groups. People just use it instead of the regular address due to that being what some of the admins and mods there use.

But I'm probably wrong there on something..

No, you're absolutely right. It's always been there, it's just an alias for b.net.

for all the complaints i see in this thread, im surprised there isn't more said about health/shield strength

bloom is annoying, but it would be less so if it didn't take 5 hits to kill a guy (5th being a headshot). this is an eternity, especially when pacing your shots to counteract bloom.

even if 3 shots from halo 1 is too hardcore, how about 4 shots? what is the logic behind 5?

kylej

Banned
Narpas Sword0 said:
for all the complaints i see in this thread, im surprised there isn't more said about health/shield strength

bloom is annoying, but it would be less so if it didn't take 5 hits to kill a guy (5th being a headshot). this is an eternity, especially when pacing your shots to counteract bloom.

even if 3 shots from halo 1 is too hardcore, how about 4 shots? what is the logic behind 5?

Shadowrun now available on Amazon.com for $8.94. Get yours today!

Remove every Forge map from the game, remove that community cartographer thing that doesn't seem to provide any maps and go with my community map voting idea. I'm pretty sure you'd get better maps than Carnage Palace. I'm also pretty sure me and probably 20 other people here could dramatically improve the matchmaking experience for every type of Halo player within a day. So frustrating to see the same mistakes made again and again and again.

Kind of had a revelation playing COD with my bros. Here's a game that doesn't fight you every step of the way. It doesn't force you to use a gun you don't want to use, it doesn't force you to play gametypes you don't want to play, it doesn't force you to time shots to get kills, it doesn't force you to grind for 12 hours to get a little icon to change by your name. We went in and wanted to play TS. So we did. Then we wanted to play Territories for a couple hours... so we played nothing but territories for a couple hours. Really a strange feeling after playing Halo for years where you basically celebrate if you actually get a fun gametype. I can see why people like it.... it's fun.

I love Halo more than all others, but I certainly don't love Reach.

vhfive

bobs99 ... said:
Yo VH, when are you planning to be on Reach?

I wanna try some Bro Slayer, with Gaf - unfortunately I cant really play for like another 4 hours. :(
I'll probably be on then. If I'm not and playing blops just send me a message and I'll switch over.

GhaleonEB

The new Score Attack modes mostly tip the playlist from one where I go to get stressed out to one where I can relive stress. I got the Challenge for nine sprees by going on an extended, no death shotgun spree in 2x on Courtyard. The damage settings make the shotty feel like the one from Halo 1, killing dudes from 30 feet away.

I'd like to see some tweaks to other modes and some new ones in, but all in all it's a nice refresh and a very different vision for the playlist, from somewhat hardcore score grinding to Arcade-y romp. There's still some of the former, but the mix has definitely tilted. As of right now, there are more players in Score Attack than I've seen in a long time, and it's at a low ebb in the day.

Poor Firefight Limited, though. 406 players, and I'd wager half of them of them are griefing the other half or simply AFK.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
The new Score Attack modes mostly tip the playlist from one where I go to get stressed out to one where I can relive stress. I got the Challenge for nine sprees by going on an extended, no death shotgun spree in 2x on Courtyard. The damage settings make the shotty feel like the one from Halo 1, killing dudes from 30 feet away.

I'd like to see some tweaks to other modes and some new ones in, but all in all it's a nice refresh and a very different vision for the playlist, from somewhat hardcore score grinding to Arcade-y romp. There's still some of the former, but the mix has definitely tilted. As of right now, there are more players in Score Attack than I've seen in a long time, and it's at a low ebb in the day.

Poor Firefight Limited, though. 406 players, and I'd wager half of them of them are griefing the other half or simply AFK.
What gametype?
Haven't played any of the updated playlists yet. Anyone up for a mm party later for some invasion, slayer, and multiteam?

Sai-kun

Banned
BloodElfHunter said:
Just got this today, played some MP so far, loving it. It seems that every else is really really bad though.. I'm doing FFA and coming in 1st or 2nd.. I rarely get above 8/10 in these sorta games...

Hey, did you manage to sell your WoW account? :D

I haven't played a ton, but Venice, Cougar plaza/whatever it was stolen from and treasury already feel like much stronger maps than anything in the first batch of community maps. Those three also look much better than anything in the first batch too. Not perfect mind you, there are still a few "Asshole jetpack" areas on Venice, but so far much better.

Needs more DMR start in there though, those bigger maps kind of struggle with AR pistols.

Treasury would be really sweet for three plots, and Cougar Plaza for 1 flag CTF I hope someone at bungie puts those in the objective hoppers.

Skirmigeddon is crazy, I didn't really know what to expect, jumped out of a room, and died to a fully automatic Nerfle. I dig it very much :).

In a very rare occurrence, I actually hopped on to play 3 games on Reach. Played some Community Slayer and wow, kids were garbage... The maps on the other hand well, 1 decent, 2 sucky.

PS: I still hate how they changed the sniper rifle...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Defiant Map Pack according to Halo Destiny.

Here's a story you will not find anywhere else yet, and moreover, an exclusive French, see International ! As the title tells you, here is the name of the next map pack for Halo Reach the Defiant Map Pack ! Again thank you to our ninjas for this extraordinary action, and rather quickly. But now, talking more in detail about this new map pack. Before you disclose everything, I wish to inform you that it is possible that this pack is not made available to the public , for the simple reason that it is also a test for another map pack . Be careful again, but rest assured, you can certainly put your feet on the land.

Let's start with the contents of this pack, which includes 2 multiplayer maps , and little novelty in the DLC card Firefight ! Bearing sweet names Sentenced and Highlands , the map shows it is called FF Unearthed , here also, an overview of recent, at least the icon of the cards you will see appear in your list in local content, in the order listed:

This is typed card BTB, but how to Storm, playable 4 against 4 very easily. This pack will weigh 450MO, and certainly available (if appropriate) for 800 Micosoft Point:

- Unearthed : As a card for the baptism of fire, will be easily playable at 4 against an army of Covenant , and it seems even more open than can be map On the Beach.
- Condemned : It is situated in space, and seems to be human in the frigate destroyed during the mission "A long night of comfort", namely the Savannah . Playable 4 against 4 as it will accommodate the best 12 players .
- High-lands : Map apocalyptic situation, because during your battles, a croisseur Covenant will be happy to lead the rest through its firing to vitrify Reach, as you can see in the pictures below. This card could be adapted to be used as qu'Invasion, and all other game modes, and can accommodate from 8 to 16 players . This card draws much of the essence of Halo: CE .

And for your enjoyment, here are some pictures of these same cards, at least, more particularly from Terre Haute . We are sorry the quality of these images, we have not yet at our disposal a HD capture card , so we had to content ourselves with our poor cameras, waiting again for new ways to buy a digital SLR (joke).

condemned.jpg

trainingpreserve.jpg

unearthed.jpg

liste_carte.jpg

multijoueur_screen.jpg

trainingpreserve_4.jpg

trainingpreserve_3.jpg

trainingpreserve_1.jpg

GhaleonEB

Unearthed : As a card for the baptism of fire, will be easily playable at 4 against an army of Covenant , and it seems even more open than can be map On the Beach.​

I assume "On the Beach" is a translation of Beachhead, and this is a Firefight map. ("4 against an army of Covenant"). From the garbled description, a larger scale, vehicle Firefight map.

FUCK YES (if true)

Then a symmetrical 4 v 4 map, and a new BTB map. Looks and sounds like a great pack. Bungie's artists are just astounding, even from those blurry screens.

A large vehicle oriented FF map. 0_0

I actually might pick up this map pack though I don't play that often just for that. Still haven't bought the first one yet.

Highlands looks astonishing. Like...wow. Can't wait to see it animating.

I need to know more about Unearthed before I get excited... I like Firefight, but the art/framerate is going to have to be pretty impressive for me to not feel a little cheated. looks like it's using the PoA color palette, which is my least favorite in the game.

Condemned... it's hard to make out from the translation and teaser image, but it looks like it's on the Savannah as it's being destroyed? Wow. Hopefully it'll feel very distinct from Anchor 9, because that could be a real big winner.

I've defended DLC pricing for a while (I drink ALOT), but if they don't offer a way to buy the MP maps separately from the FF map there is going to be some serious internet freak-outers freaking-out on the internet.

That is, of course, assuming this babelfishified report is true.

Thanks for posting it here Dani.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bregmann Roche said:
I've defended DLC pricing for a while (I drink ALOT), but if they don't offer a way to buy the MP maps separately from the FF map there is going to be some serious internet freak-outers freaking-out on the internet.

That is, of course, assuming this babelfishified report is true.

Thanks for posting it here Dani.

Yes if it's only 2 MP maps and a FF map.

If it's 3 MP maps or more and a FF map it probably won't be an issue.

squidhands said:
I could go for "a long night of comfort" right about now.

I'll give you long night of human pin cushion!

High-lands may dethrone Tempest as most gorgeous map in Halo: Reach. Lookin' forward to playing with it. That map may fill my Valhalla craving.

Alienshogun said:
Yes if it's only 2 MP maps and a FF map.

If it's 3 MP maps or more and a FF map it probably won't be an issue.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't see them throwing in a FF map for free. Again, just so we can all agree on where to direct our nerd-rage, pricing on DLC is dictated by Microsoft.

If it is 3 MP maps AND a FF map for 800 GatesBucks then I will burn all my Apple products and dance on the ashes while screaming "DOS is my GOD" over and over.

Merguson said:
It's three maps, quit trying to spin it some other way people. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Oh, I'll buy it, I'm just prepared for the tidal wave of anger that will wash over the Halo Community when people realize they have to buy a FF map when they only play MP and vice versa.

GhaleonEB

I understand the angst, but three maps are three maps, and the price:content ratio is the same as in the past. I'm sympathetic to those who don't play Firefight, but only a to a degree. Every map pack has had to straddle the different sizes and game types that exist in Halo, and this one is doing the same. I generally don't play much MP outside of BTB (though that's not the case yet in Reach), so any smaller scale maps in previous map packs aren't that useful to me.

My desire to acquire them is based on whether I'll get enough enjoyment from the maps that are crafted toward the kinds of games I like to play. Noble was 2/3 with Tempest and Breakdown. This looks to be 2/3 as well with the FF map and BTB. Which is good enough for me.
Dax01 said:
Has anybody made a thread for it yet? I'll do it if not.
I haven't seen one. Go for it, I want to see some large-scale meltdowns about a Firefight map included.

Top Bottom