• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

equil

LosDaddie said:
Nice Weekly Challenge this week. I missed MOnday, but with 2 nights of playing, I'm over halfway there.

Yea, I enjoyed the weekly. I got it last night, which also pushed me to my Brigadier.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
And if someone from Bungie is reading this:

The "destroy vehicles" challenge isn't working properly.

You have to kill them in a very specific way...

If you die as soon as the vehicle explodes, it doesn't count.

Sometimes I board them to stick a grenade and it doesn't count.

It also doesn't seem to count with a few weapons.

This seriously needs a fix
There are a lot of ways to kill vehicles that won't register as such because the driver of the vehicle is killed first. On something like 2x Attack, the blast from the grenade kills the driver, and THEN the vehicle explodes a moment later. That counts as an Elite kill, but the vehicle is empty by the time it blows up; normally it's the blast from the dying vehicle that kills the driver. For Wraiths, destroy them from behind (that's what she said). For Ghosts, stick them, making sure to stick the Ghost and not the driver. There may be some other issues you're running into, but those are methods I've used in the past to help speed this particular Challenge along (just got one Ghost on Outpost).

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
There are a lot of ways to kill vehicles that won't register as such because the driver of the vehicle is killed first. On something like 2x Attack, the blast from the grenade kills the driver, and THEN the vehicle explodes a moment later. For Wraiths, destroy them from behind (that's what she said). For Ghosts, stick them, making sure to stick the Ghost and not the driver. There may be some other issues you're running into, but those are methods I've used in the past to help speed this particular Challenge along (just got one Ghost on Outpost).

Thanks for the tips.

What I did was go into Holdout, 2X Score Attack(or FF Limited), hope for a Laser to drop and get the Banshees.

Best map is BeachHead though, lots of Wraiths.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Thanks for the tips.

What I did was go into Holdout, 2X Score Attack(or FF Limited), hope for a Laser to drop and get the Banshees.

Best map is BeachHead though, lots of Wraiths.
Yeah I'm kind of laughing because I played several games in Limited on Beachhead last night, and it was Wraith central. In one game, I killed six of them. Hopefully I can snag a decent partner or two tonight and do the same.

Gui_PT said:
That shouldn't make a difference, but yes, got it in regular Score Attack.

Let's hope it wasn't some sort of a bug :lol

Edit:

I just did it again and it didn't count. I am confuse.
I downed a Banshee with my DMR and it didn't count.

Used the laser, and it counted.

(Used the FRG on a Wraith on Beachhead and that didn't count, though.)

So... kill 10 vehicles with a laser/sniper?

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I'm kind of laughing because I played several games in Limited on Beachhead last night, and it was Wraith central. In one game, I killed six of them. Hopefully I can snag a decent partner or two tonight and do the same.

Hole crap, 6 :lol
FF Limited is a lot of fun when you don't have people who commit suicide.

Self Induced said:

Forget about the sniper, doesn't work either. Laser and Rockets are your best chance. And try what Ghaleon said if you get a map that's not Holdout.

So did they ever figure out what triggers the glitch where your campaign progress gets wiped? Its happened to me twice in the last week or so, and I haven't been doing anything like accessing Waypoint from within Reach.

Hmm?

GhaleonEB

Self Induced said:

I've seen this happen with Ghosts, and suspect it's a similar issue. Remember that damage done to the vehicle passes through to the driver. And if a certain threshold of damage is done to the vehicle, it will blow up when the passenger is killed.

With Ghosts, it plays out like this. You put a full clip of DMR rounds into the Ghost, and the Elite's shields are flaring and then pop. You put a few more rounds in, and it blows up. But what really happened is enough damage was passed through to the driver to kill them, and the game decided to blow up the Ghost as well because you'd done enough damage to it. This counts as an Elite kill, but not a vehicle kill.

The other way to do it is to pace you shots. Put rounds on the Ghost until the Elite's shields flare, and then stop and let them recharge. Then repeat, damaging the Ghost until the shields flare again. Eventually the dude will be driving this smoldering little lump of a vehicle, and a few shots on it - with the Elite at full shield - will cause it to blow up. The explosion will kill the Elite. That's a vehicle kill.

I suspect the same thing is true with Banshees, and if you put constant DMR fire on it, you're killing the pilot, at which point the game makes the Banshee go boom to make you feel good about downing a Banshee. But you killed the pilot first. Try pacing your shots on it, letting the pilot's shields recharge, so you toast the Banshee rather than him.

You can tell which is which by the number of points you get for the kill. A vehicle kill will be worth a LOT more than a normal Elite kill.

FourDoor

I am typically not one to complain but.... Holy crap!!! You guys were right! I played Carnage Palace last night and it takes the cake as THE WORST Halo map I have ever played on. HORRIBLE!!!! The flow of the map makes no sense. You have to jump to get out of simple rooms. ARRRGGGHHHH!!! How does a map like that make it into the Community Playlist!

/end rage

MIMIC

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Well according to Deep NNN on HBO, in March 2008 Halo 3 was doing slightly better than Reach is doing now.

- http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1048729

He didnt actually post comparison numbers, but if hes correct, Halo 3 actually was faring better than Reach.
Until the map pack or other changes are made I expect that trend to continue - I hate to say it, but while that article got a lot of things wrong, I agree with the fact that most of the additions 'just seem to be there to annoy players'.

I was searching for the XBL activity chart in Google and I across an older page in this thread....and subsequently, this post.

I think I'm done with Reach. Maybe it's silly but I honestly cannot stand playing this game with armor lock anymore. Like your post suggests, it has completely annoyed me to the point where to where I no longer want to play.

I got all of the achievements and haven't touched it since.

Now I've read some information about the new DLC and I really support the idea that Bungie implant scenarios from the books into the game. I really wanted to see these areas and I was dissappointed with the final game. Otherwise I really like that we finally get a vehicle-based firefight map. But unfortunately I dislike the setting. Halo: Reach shipped with 9 firefight maps. 3 of them have the same environment(Holdout, Waterfront, Outpost) and now we get a desert map again. I could be really epic to get a Firefight map on a Halo Ring. Otherwise I miss a "small indoor" map like Alpha Site.(I still love the chaotic that happens on Corvette.)

Btw. there is no falcon in Firefight :( (Or is it?)

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
posted this in the leaked thread, but apparently it was 343 who made these maps.
Even better. Probably means we'll be seeing even more maps than any of the other games.

Hypertrooper said:
Now I've read some information about the new DLC and I really support the idea that Bungie implant scenarios from the books into the game. I really wanted to see these areas and I was dissappointed with the final game. Otherwise I really like that we finally get a vehicle-based firefight map. But unfortunately I dislike the setting. Halo: Reach shipped with 9 firefight maps. 3 of them have the same environment(Holdout, Waterfront, Outpost) and now we get a desert map again. I could be really epic to get a Firefight map on a Halo Ring. Otherwise I miss a "small indoor" map like Alpha Site.(I still love the chaotic that happens on Corvette.)

Btw. there is no falcon in Firefight :( (Or is it?)

It's not really a desert area, it's an industrial area.

MrBig

Hey You said:
Also, if that video was really taken by a 343i Employee, he had blue flames.

Bungie giving blue flames to 343 already?
That video wasn't really taken by a 343 employee. It was a modded max level account.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Jtagged Xboxes, modded accounts, hacks and stolen pre-release maps?

Why would you trust any of this? Apart from the maps themselves, which would be hard to fake, I wouldn't trust any of this "information" about 343i or their "employees", map makers or anything. All of that can be modified and faked.

Just watched the vid. Indeed the maps are gorgeous. Just curious though, is there any reason why Firefight maps couldn't just be used for multiplayer? I know some of the spaces simply wouldn't be balanced with multiplayer in mind but with this new one it seems to me that it could simply have been designed to work with both modes.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:

Why would you trust any of this? Apart from the maps themselves, which would be hard to fake, I wouldn't trust any of this "information" about 343i or their "employees", map makers or anything. All of that can be modified and faked.
I swear I just read this post somewhere. :p

At any rate - it seems like less a leak and more a theft of sorts. I'm holding off on viewing anything other than what Dani posted originally, as I'm content to see what/when this gets announced. Kinda sucks for those working on it.

wwm0nkey said:
posted this in the leaked thread, but apparently it was 343 who made these maps.
On the one hand, good. On the other, it saddens me to see how quickly Bungie's dropping support for this game. I'm expecting them to give control over playlists and stuff to 343 once the map pack comes out, and then Bungie's role will be over.

Hey You

Dani said:

Why did these hackers get this map pack but not the Noble Map pack early?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Striker said:
Yeah, says "Author: 343 Industries" in Highlands.

Highlands looks awesome. Condemned looks ok, but can't see much. Appears on the small side.
That's awesome.

Edit: Got the weekly today...points points points!!

Oozer3993

Dani said:
Happy birthday Dax! Mine was this past Monday but I forgot to mention. Have a good time, dude.

All the cool kids upped their age by 1 on Monday.

Happy Birthday Dax! Enjoy your last year of being able to claim "but I don't know any better, I'm a teenager!"

Hey You said:
Why did these hackers get this map pack but not the Noble Map pack early?

The Noble Map Pack was only tested privately by Bungie employees. This pack appears to have been uploaded to PartnerNet, which is Microsoft's private version of Xbox Live for developers so they can test any online capabilities in their games. I believe it might be possible to access PartnerNet with a devkit, some of which are in the hands of the bad kind of hackers.

Lazslo

If I get my xbox to work I'm jumping on to play some Reach now for some community slayslay.

Also Happy Birthday Daxer- I resent your youth, f you and f your AR, cheers.

Sibylus

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
Just watched the vid. Indeed the maps are gorgeous. Just curious though, is there any reason why Firefight maps couldn't just be used for multiplayer? I know some of the spaces simply wouldn't be balanced with multiplayer in mind but with this new one it seems to me that it could simply have been designed to work with both modes.
Or vice-versa, having Firefight versions of the multiplayer maps. Balance problems would be far less than lifting FF spaces into multiplayer, because going a bit too far in terms of ease or difficulty isn't that much of a problem in a highly-tweakable cooperative mode.

Though perhaps their tools aren't set to toggle between coop and multi on the same map file, might introduce some space concerns in that case (ie having duplicates of the two multi maps for FF variants). Of course, this baseless speculation could be blown out of the water in minutes, depending on how Reach handled the FF maps that were pulled from campaign spaces. Were they duplicated and modified copies of the original maps, or were they campaign maps set up to throw up barriers and enable spawning systems when FF is started (kind of akin to how maps work in Left 4 Dead 2's coop, versus, and survival modes).

Botolf said:
Or vice-versa, having Firefight versions of the multiplayer maps. Balance problems would be far less than lifting FF spaces into multiplayer, because going a bit too far in terms of ease or difficulty isn't that much of a problem in a highly-tweakable cooperative mode.

Though perhaps their tools aren't set to toggle between coop and multi on the same map file, might introduce some space concerns in that case (ie having duplicates of the two multi maps for FF variants). Of course, this baseless speculation could be blown out of the water in minutes, depending on how Reach handled the FF maps that were pulled from campaign spaces. Were they duplicated and modified copies of the original maps, or were they campaign maps set up to throw up barriers and enable spawning systems when FF is started (kind of akin to how maps work in Left 4 Dead 2's coop, versus, and survival modes).
Agreed. That's how Gears of War 2 handles Horde. I'd love to see it implemented like that.

Voltron64

Wow, dax is 19 all grown up...it seems like only yesterday...

2lvy25l.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Voltron64 said:
Wow, dax is 19...it seems like only yesterday...

2lvy25l.jpg

You know, I know this is a joke, but it actually is believable.

Would be MORE believable if there was a heart frame on the wall behind him with Ghaleon's pic or avatar in it.

Striker said:
What hurt is it to add those Lockout and Warlock levels from that Forge World vidoc into the Community Slayer playlist, as it's basically a tryout?

just put them in fucking matchmaking, they were playtested 6 years ago. why are they optimizing the cage when lockout is the optimized cage

and if you can't delete bloom then reduce dmr kills to a 3 shot or a 4 shot

Top Bottom