• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
It could be personal reasons on your end, but even if it's restored your love, you don't play Reach anywhere near the amount you played Halo 3, so I question how much you love it! :p
Hahaha no you're right. I think I know why too. I can't run alone in MLG in Reach and have fun. My teammates will be stupid, they won't have microphones and they will suck badly. The lack of ranks and Trueskill being as wonky as it is is the problem. I could do that in Halo 3, win and enjoy myself.

Lazslo

It's kinda strange but I just started to have fun playing Reach again. Playing last night with Dani, Ghal, Cocop and Nutter was probably the most fun I have had playing a Halo game since the Halo 3 days, and I didn't even play well. I think I enjoy Reach more then Halo: 3 because you always have a pistol in your back pocket which alone makes the game better for me. There is a lot I miss from H3- specifically the ridiculousness that would ensue when equipment was involved-I'm looking at you double-bubble moments.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ugh VirtualDub crashed one me too! The same way that Windows Movie Maker does. It's gotta be the capture card drivers...but, when I stream with Flash Media Encoder, I have no problems at all. WTF!?!?!

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
See for me, I like the feel of getting better, of learning something, and Reach's mechanics are hard to master. Like, really hard. Whether it's learning the pacing of bloom, timing that melee just right, or , Reach is a hard game to be good at. When I fail at Reach, 99% of the time I feel like it's my fault. I find it's harder to blame lag, or the fact that the other guy started firing his AR a few milliseconds before me. If I lose a melee fight, it's because I couldn't land the headshot, or I meeleed too early.
I do appreciate a learning curve, and generally don't mind a steep one. I think my problem with Reach is there are so many things core to the mechanics that I don't enjoy that the curve isn't a rewarding one for me. Bearing in mind that I have always been a BTB guy, one of the pleasures of Halo 3 was learning the the depth of the weapon/equipment/vehicle balance and finding ways to leverage it. There were very few situations where I felt I didn't have the tools at hand to take control of things. And when I died, I felt like it was my fault (occasional lag aside). For that reason even playing losing games was fun.

However, in Halo 3, there was exactly one game type I refused to play: BTB Heavies on Standoff. That map was designed around the idea of the sniper rifle not being on it, and Heavies put four down. And Gauss Hogs. And Banshees. It took the delicate Halo sandbox and blew it up, throwing too many elements at it so that things fell far out of balance. Weapons that break the map were inserted, vehicles that require a steep escalation of firepower were added.

That's how most of Reach's MP feels to me. On map after map, I find myself wondering why the sniper rifle is on it, stifling how it plays. Or why the tank is on Paradiso. Or why the bubble shield is in objective. Or why sniper rifles are in Multi Team King of the Hill. Or....

I'll stop now. The multiplayer is, largely, not for me. It can play okay with the right level of restraint, but in the current matchmaking environment, I just can't do it. Firefight is, though. I have yet to come close to getting bored of it, and find it constantly, endlessly entertaining. It finally has a playlist structure that captures the range of what can be done in it, and while it's not perfect, it's what I've always wanted to do in Halo. I'll be playing it for years, and think it's the best, most rewarding mode in the entire series.

GhaleonEB said:
I'll stop now. The multiplayer is, largely, not for me. It can play okay with the right level of restraint, but in the current matchmaking environment, I just can't do it. Firefight is, though. I have yet to come close to getting bored of it, and find it constantly, endlessly entertaining. It finally has a playlist structure that captures the range of what can be done in it, and while it's not perfect, it's what I've always wanted to do in Halo. I'll be playing it for years, and think it's the best, most rewarding mode in the entire series.
So why don't you have a problem paying 800 MSP for the Defiant Map Pack?

GhaleonEB

enzo_gt said:
Crazy Firefight fans. ;)

1) In hopes BTB gets into shape. I want it to be good so badly, and the nuts and bolts are right there.

2) The Firefight map, which I'll play the living crap out of. I am happy to pay for content I will play a lot of. And I'll get a few dozen hours of gaming on a new, good FF map. Which is worth $10 to me. Bear in mind, with past map packs, I bought them to only mostly play the BTB maps, so this is nothing new.

I'll continue to dabble in MP, especially to try the new stuff (bro slayer). And the game is much more fun with a party, so I'll happy to hop on with friends. But I think it's going to take a pretty big overhaul, or at least an overhaul of BTB, for me to really enjoy MP in general.

GhaleonEB said:

1) In hopes BTB gets into shape. I want it to be good so badly, and the nuts and bolts are right there.

2) The Firefight map, which I'll play the living crap out of. I am happy to pay for content I will play a lot of. And I'll get a few dozen hours of gaming on a new, good FF map. Which is worth $10 to me. Bear in mind, with past map packs, I bought them to only mostly play the BTB maps, so this is nothing new.

I'll continue to dabble in MP, especially to try the new stuff (bro slayer). And the game is much more fun with a party, so I'll happy to hop on with friends. But I think it's going to take a pretty big overhaul, or at least an overhaul of BTB, for me to really enjoy MP in general.
Mkay. I was just wondering. :p

KyleJ ill add you for some Black Ops, I do also want to play some Halo with Gaf as it seems like it would be much better that way- the thing is though, no doubt you guys are mostly on when its sleepy time for me.

bobs99 ... said:
Someone has uploaded HD footage of the new maps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z0ZhgzssPY

Much better than shakeycam, sorry if its been here before I spotted the link on HBO.

KyleJ ill add you for some Black Ops, I do also want to play some Halo with Gaf as it seems like it would be much better that way- the thing is though, no doubt you guys are mostly on when its sleepy time for me.
Damn, 5 mins after you posted that and it's already been taken down.

ElRenoRaven

Barrow Roll said:

Damn talk about quick. The cat is out of the bag MS.

Also on the article about Halo HD I have a couple of thoughts. If it's true and that's a big if and it's not 343I doing it then without a doubt I'll wait and see about it. I just don't trust a 3rd party with Halo. More so when the article mentions that it won't be using the Reach engine worries me. That seems to imply that it's going to be a different engine then what the other Halo's have been on. That could really destroy the feel of it. I could be wrong though. I certainly hope I am about that.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it though.

Barrow Roll said:

Ah I loaded it up on my computer, had to run off, and when I got back and started watching it I thought of GAF, sorry I probably posted that long after they where removed :(

As the the Weekly Update I understand they cant really talk about the maps, but it would be so much better if the killed off the rumours now wouldn't it? Its still very much up in the air about the price point/ Covie Forge world/ Who made them etc (personally I think the rumours are all false)

PsychoRaven said:
Damn talk about quick. The cat is out of the bag MS.

Also on the article about Halo HD I have a couple of thoughts. If it's true and that's a big if and it's not 343I doing it then without a doubt I'll wait and see about it. I just don't trust a 3rd party with Halo. More so when the article mentions that it won't be using the Reach engine worries me. That seems to imply that it's going to be a different engine then what the other Halo's have been on. That could really destroy the feel of it. I could be wrong though. I certainly hope I am about that.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it though.

Personally I just dont see how the Reach engine will emulate the feel. I dont know much about this, but a company thats making a new engine is more likely to be able to hit the same Halo 1 feel?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BTB needs:

a) a complete removal of Headhunter
b) a lower emphasis on Stockpile with a bigger emphasis on neutral flag/bomb
c) Armor Lock and Drop Shield to be Slayer only (this actually applies to all playlists)
d) more maps; whether they're official or Forge World maps

So many simple tweaks, yet for some reason, it's rocket science to Bungie. In return? We get Multi-Team changed to 3v3v3v3 with Rocket Hog Race that a whopping zero people asked for.

Unbelievable.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Personally I just dont see how the Reach engine will emulate the feel. I dont know much about this, but a company thats making a new engine is more likely to be able to hit the same Halo 1 feel?

It couldn't exactly. I doubt we'll ever get an exact duplicate. Also with a new engine by a 3rd party there is always a greater chance for it to suck total ass too.

Now onto the update. HOLY SHIT!!! People never cease to amaze me. Freaking skeeball. How fucking cool is that?

PsychoRaven said:
It couldn't exactly. I doubt we'll ever get an exact duplicate. Also with a new engine by a 3rd party there is always a greater chance for it to suck total ass too.

Now onto the update. HOLY SHIT!!! People never cease to amaze me. Freaking skeeball. How fucking cool is that?

A new engine made especially to capture that old school Halo feeling would be a LOT better than using the Reach engine and shoehorning it for Halo 1 HD.

I hate to say it, but I just really don't like many aspects of Reach, one of the things I loved about Halo 1 was its 'feel'. Maybe that nostalgia talking, and maybe im being naive in just what a engine changes, but the Reach engine doesn't do it for me. You can sort of get a 'feel' for games that use certain engines, and I just dont think the Reach engine feels very Halo 1ish.

Im also not 100% a fan of the visual style the new engine brings about, I don't think it would suit Halo 1 to have Reach style visuals. Reach is a good looking game, but its not quite how I personally think a HD Halo 1 should look.
Do I sound stupid? I dont think im really justifying my opinion very well lol

feel

*ctrl-f: classic* *skips to pretty pictures*

Some stunning Elite pics in the update. Wish we got get hi-res versions of the last 20 or so to put them in my auto wallpaper rotation.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
A new engine made especially to capture that old school Halo feeling would be a LOT better than using the Reach engine and shoehorning it for Halo 1 HD.

I hate to say it, but I just really don't like many aspects of Reach, one of the things I loved about Halo 1 was its 'feel'. Maybe that nostalgia talking, and maybe im being naive in just what a engine changes, but the Reach engine doesn't do it for me. You can sort of get a 'feel' for games that use certain engines, and I just dont think the Reach engine feels very Halo 1ish.

Im also not 100% a fan of the visual style the new engine brings about, I don't think it would suit Halo 1 to have Reach style visuals. Reach is a good looking game, but its not quite how I personally think a HD Halo 1 should look.
Do I sound stupid? I dont think im really justifying my opinion very well lol

No. I understand what you are saying. Graphics wise I think you could easily get that Halo feel from the Reach engine. I think the reason some don't get that feel from Reach is due to it being entirely set on earth. I felt everything Covenant felt very true to the Halo. Course I thought the other games held true too. So much to the point that the other games graphics got crapped on for being too cartoony and bright.

I disagree though on the physics. I think you could get that Halo 1 feel from the Reach engine. I also remember reading once that Bungie tested their physics engine to recreate the Halo 1 feel. So I think it could be done. I however have a feeling that those really responsible for the halo 1 engine's feel may have moved on from Bungie long ago. That's why I don't see anyone ever getting that feeling back. So I could live with the current engine's feel as long as they removed reticule bloom, armor abilities, increased fall damage, and tweaked the damage of weapons to be more Halo 1 like. This would also allow for my one addition I would make to Halo 1 which would be vehicle boarding. That without a doubt was the greatest addition to the Halo gameplay ever.

Either way no matter what they do not every Halo fan will be happy. There will be something some hate regardless of what direction they went. Be that physics, graphics, gameplay changes, etc.

krakov

Maybe this area should be blocked off
PcOA8.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Letters said:
*ctrl-f: classic* *skips to pretty pictures*

Some stunning Elite pics in the update. Wish we got get hi-res versions of the last 20 or so to put them in my auto wallpaper rotation.
The file names are the screenshot IDs. Open a screenshot in a file share and replace the ID to get the high res copy. :)

I just finished that HD footage of the new maps linked on HBO, and damn they look immense. I cant really tell game play wise, but visually at least they are amazing. Its a shame those videos got removed hopefully more get uploaded.

I know people are avoiding new details, but I spotted a few interesting things:

On the new space map instead of shield doors between the anti-gravity area and the normal area - there's just a weird static effect signalling the doorway, and you can shoot through it. Thats much better than shield doors!

It also seems like the map is made up of another room, with a similar 'thing' to the destroyed 'thing' causing the anti gravity. Its pretty cool seeing the two rooms. (that probably made no sense lol)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey You said:

Another update without mentioning fixes, another failed attempt.

Domino Theory said:
BTB needs:

c) Armor Lock and Drop Shield to be Slayer only (this actually applies to all playlists)

So many simple tweaks, yet for some reason, it's rocket science to Bungie. In return? We get Multi-Team changed to 3v3v3v3 with Rocket Hog Race that a whopping zero people asked for.

Unbelievable.

Armor lock should NOT be in smaller team slayer, BTB slayer, fine, 4v4 fuck no.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
While it may look pretty and have a ton more knobs to turn, the Reach engine is still Bungie's Blam! engine.
A new engine will always have a different feel no matter how much they try to emulate the original. That's what has me so confused about this rumor. It seems too much like MS is just trying to please a crowd, which they are doing completely wrong if this is true. The original halo fans are going to be the ones excited about this, that have wanted to see an HD combat Evolved for a long time. To everyone else it would just be another ODST. It won't make sense for most gamers to buy it. If they find out that it's just some gimmick campaign that MS is putting out for the 10th anniversary it's going to flop. The hardcore fans will buy it and complain. Everyone else won't even care and buy the next CoD.

They are going about this wrong. I sincerely hope that these rumors aren't true. I'd rather not have a remake at all than not have it being made by people who have actually worked on and cared about Halo before. I don't want some contracted piece of shit.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Another update without mentioning fixes, another failed attempt.

Armor lock should NOT be in smaller team slayer, BTB slayer, fine, 4v4 fuck no.

I'm starting to get the impression that you might not like Armor Lock

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
I'm starting to get the impression that you might not like Armor Lock

I don't hate it where it belongs, but it doesn't belong in confined 4V4 game play.

Also, :lol the guy who won the Kat figurine on twitter won by saying his favorite Kat quote was *thud*.

That's pretty funny, especially since it's supposed to be random.

GhaleonEB

Great update. Looking forward to hearing about the Arena changes, and the Classic playlist in March (from Optimatch).

The Bungie All-Stars thing is great, I hope it keeps going.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
While it may look pretty and have a ton more knobs to turn, the Reach engine is still Bungie's Blam! engine.
A new engine will always have a different feel no matter how much they try to emulate the original. That's what has me so confused about this rumor. It seems too much like MS is just trying to please a crowd, which they are doing completely wrong if this is true. The original halo fans are going to be the ones excited about this, that have wanted to see an HD combat Evolved for a long time. To everyone else it would just be another ODST. It won't make sense for most gamers to buy it. If they find out that it's just some gimmick campaign that MS is putting out for the 10th anniversary it's going to flop. The hardcore fans will buy it and complain. Everyone else won't even care and buy the next CoD.

They are going about this wrong. I sincerely hope that these rumors aren't true. I'd rather not have a remake at all than not have it being made by people who have actually worked on and cared about Halo before. I don't want some contracted piece of shit.

Exactly. That's why assuming this article is true it's just odd to me. Even though I'm very hard on 343i and honestly am skeptical, I'd prefer them to be developing because they do at least have several members who have worked on the series. This other studio hasn't done anything worth a damn really.

wwm0nkey

Ok Skirmish really just needs to replace all slayer games. Being able to choose where you spawn and spawning on team mates (though that needs a bit of fixing) makes it so much fun.

I really hope it gets its own play list.

Striker

Domino Theory said:
BTB needs:

Unbelievable.
a) Agree
b) Yes, even people on B.net are saying this all the time; too much emphasis right now is on Slayer and Headhunter. Stockpile shows up as much as regular CTF.
c) Drop Shield needs removed from MP; Armor Lock is fine for all BTB variants
d) Agree, but I also wish they would improve Spire and Boneyard -_-

I'll add

e) Remove Countdown

Played a bit of Team Objective tonight, jesus christ, there is so many morons.

Lazslo

GhaleonEB said:
Great update. Looking forward to hearing about the Arena changes, and the Classic playlist in March (from Optimatch).

The Bungie All-Stars thing is great, I hope it keeps going.
Edit: I hope soon there is some kind of playlist that allows partys of 4 or more besides BTB or DLC- If you got 5 or 6 people it's slim pickings.

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
Ok Skirmish really just needs to replace all slayer games. Being able to choose where you spawn and spawning on team mates (though that needs a bit of fixing) makes it so much fun.

I really hope it gets its own play list.

Being able to choose your spawn makes for a complete mess of a game, truly awful.

*Oh I just infiltrated their base, whats that, this guy can see me on his respawn screen and spawn right behind me?*

awesome!

Top Bottom