• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Raide

Louis Wu said:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the little tunnels that run on the left side of each base (as you're looking at them from the opposing base). They're BOTH great. :D

There is a larger tunnel that you can delete the blocks from while in Forge. One tunnel you can delete the end ramps to make it easier to access, the other has 2 huge rocks that cover each end. Each side has 2 tunnels to scamper through. :lol

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
It's nice to see "Halo" back in the thread title. OT2 title was terrible with the lack of "Halo" and the spacing in Reach.

GhaleonEB

LunaticPuma said:
It's nice to see "Halo" back in the thread title. OT2 title was terrible with the lack of "Halo" and the spacing in Reach.
For the record, that's why all my previous OT's were simple: to minimize thread title complaints. I wanted to try something a bit different. Lesson learned, though, hopefully this one is better. :lol

Louis Wu

Mojo said:
Nah, it was BTB slayer, I hadn't gone into the Invasion playlist for a while.
Dunno where the guy you shot was - but I just measured the distance from the Spire platform to the ground next to one of the landing slots (using a sniper):

spire_top_to_bottom.jpg

It's a little less than 117 m.

Someone on our forum did some testing yesterday - and it seems that 129 m is the minimum distance. So you simply weren't far enough away from him.

aesop said:
Was the last post in the OT2 a complaint about AL?
lol - no, it was a complaint about AR starts. :lol :lol

Gui_PT

Mojo said:
Nah, it was BTB slayer, I hadn't gone into the Invasion playlist for a while.

Also I'm really liking Tempest. Reminds me of Relic

The distance between teleporter exits on hemorrhage works fine.

GhaleonEB said:
For the record, that's why all my previous OT's were simple: to minimize thread title complaints. I wanted to try something a bit different. Lesson learned, though, hopefully this one is better. :lol
You should've kept it as is to force more people to switch to USER CP to keep track of the threads they want.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
For the DMR achievement - if you see a vehicle ready to blow up and smoking badly, DMR that thing from afar. I got mine by blowing up a hog on fire from across the map on Hemo.

FourDoor

OT3 and now I've learned to subscribe to the thread so I don't get lost trying to find it! LOL

And BTW, thanks again to Domino for lighting my flame yesterday!

FourDoor_FlamingHead.png

Kujo

Louis Wu said:
Dunno where the guy you shot was - but I just measured the distance from the Spire platform to the ground next to one of the landing slots (using a sniper):

It's a little less than 117 m.
When I got him he was near the Falcon spawn, I bet he was 1m too close lol

This worked for me though:

28ckikz.jpg

U2NUMB

Gotta say after playing a ton of that "Other"popular shooter the one thing I really appreciate about Halo is how smooth everything is. The matchmaking and UI is glorious.

I do wish however that Bungie would have some sort of Team Mercenary playlist for when people do not have friends online.

Also I hardly snipe in Halo.. just not my thing but I managed to hunt down and snipe a banshee pilot.. felt good.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10531963&player=U2NUMB

U2NUMB said:
Gotta say after playing a ton of that "Other"popular shooter the one thing I really appreciate about Halo is how smooth everything is. The matchmaking and UI is glorious.

I do wish however that Bungie would have some sort of Team Mercenary playlist for when people do not have friends online.

I definitely agree. Bungie always has top notch online 'setup'. Since Halo 2 was my first console online experience, it pretty much set the bar for great console online experience, and each iteration of Halo has improved on it.

Mojo said:
When I got him he was near the Falcon spawn, I bet he was 1m too close lol

This worked for me though:

28ckikz.jpg
Do you know that you could do now? The theorem of pythagoras!

Where are you guys? No one is online :/ I'm so lonely, right now!

aesop

Hypertrooper said:
Do you know that you could do now? The theorem of pythagoras!

Where are you guys? No one is online :/ I'm so lonely, right now!

Working. Be home in about 3 1/2 hours.

Louis Wu said:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the little tunnels that run on the left side of each base (as you're looking at them from the opposing base). They're BOTH great. :D
That's what I thought right after I posted. I remembered going through one of those tunnels thinking, "I hope there's not a dude with a shotgun waiting for me on the other end." :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I'm not sure, I'll have to check that out tonight. Each side has a narrow tunnel that runs from the center to the side of the base, with the shotgun parked outside of it. That's the tunnel I used to murder the other team and steal their stuff last night. Everyone tends to be out front defending from the open basin side and the cross-man cannon fight out front.

It's the one where a Forge rock is placed so you have to jump over it to get in. Take the man cannon by rockets and then go straight past the rock/downed ship and the tunnel entrance is there.

The existence of a larger cave blocked off would explain why I wasn't able to find all of the rocks when I was trying to make a template for Tempest - I was missing four rocks from the Natural category. I bet that's where I need to look. :D

Edit: Yup Wu, that's them. Lovely little things.
I'll have to look deeper into it later, but there are also three (only three?) Invasion initial spawns in there. Not really sure why Bungie would make a map then block a small portion of it off right away, but I'm guessing that it's for balance reasons. Nice of them to keep it in there, though.

BTW - what happened to Mancannon? Did crankyGAF run him off?

U2NUMB said:

That's actually a pretty good idea. Like a 4v4 with max party of 1.

It would make it no guests and probably closer games cause there's no team of 4 running around donging in social.

BlueScrote said:
I definitely agree. Bungie always has top notch online 'setup'. Since Halo 2 was my first console online experience, it pretty much set the bar for great console online experience, and each iteration of Halo has improved on it.

Bungie has always been ahead of the curve in those kind of things. Marathon had voice communication, Custom designed MP maps, end game stat tracking, and non slayer modes while Doom was still just about dropping a couple of guys into an existing single player level and letting em duke it out.

Myth had persistent personalities, ranking, a built in server browser/lobby system at the same time as battle.net.

Then Halo 2 just re-wrote the book on it. Integrated stats tracking webpage, global ranks, Party system and playlists. Actual matches being made, not just random servers to hop around. It was pretty nuts, and it was so controversial at the time. Now that shit is pretty de-rigeour on both consoles and PC.

Arnie

Dax01 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Marcus Lehto in the legendary commentary said there was a lot of back and forth between campaign and multiplayer designers on the maps, like how a certain aspect worked for MP but not necessarily for campaign. If you notice, aside from a few tweaks here and there, the maps you see in multiplayer are in campaign. This leads me to believe that the maps were compromises between campaign and MP designs. Trying to do both but end up doing neither very well.
Yes, in the latest 343 podcast David Ellis interviews Derek Carrol and Urk in which they allude to this. I think it's Derek who talks about how there had to be compromises when developing the original suite of multiplayer maps, however Noble was such a joy to work on because they could just go straight ahead with the mindset of, "this is a multiplayer only space". Obviously I think the results speak for themselves. If I was to be put on the spot and grade each multiplayer map I would have Tempest and Anchor 9 at the top of the pile, with Countdown closely following.

FourDoor

xxjuicesxx said:
That's actually a pretty good idea. Like a 4v4 with max party of 1.

It would make it no guests and probably closer games cause there's no team of 4 running around donging in social.

Hire Juices
I actually like this idea also of lone wolfing Team Slayer games.

FourDoor said:
Hire Juices
I actually like this idea also of lone wolfing Team Slayer games.

Hey not my idea :D

It sounds really good to me though, I often think like when I'm losing at Team Slayer by myself that its annoying I just got beat by a team. I think if I straight up lost to 4 randoms with 3 other randoms and me I would feel like yes I got outplayed more than MM failed me.

It really might be worth making some noise over, right?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone get the Superintendent ornament?

Thing is weighty! It has the smiling face and the regular face, one on each side. Really cool.

Pete Rock

Well, they did seem to address playing splitscreen and getting shat on by players with unique gold accounts, but nothing about the lone wolf vs party scenario. I do appreciate this but it is really odd, barely seeing split-screeners in multiteam - then you run splitscreen, and that's all you see :lol

Hydranockz said:
Holy crap. I never noticed that with the skull indicated on the pro pipe.

The only thing Bungie needs to change about the pro pipe is that it should detonate on impact on a player no matter what the distance. Bring it back to it's Beta version!

Reminds of this video I took a while back.

Alienshogun said:
Anyone get the Superintendent ornament?

Thing is weighty! It has the smiling face and the regular face, one on each side. Really cool.
I really wanted it, but you know the Bungiestore really hates us europeans :/

xxjuicesxx said:
Hey not my idea :D

It sounds really good to me though, I often think like when I'm losing at Team Slayer by myself that its annoying I just got beat by a team. I think if I straight up lost to 4 randoms with 3 other randoms and me I would feel like yes I got outplayed more than MM failed me.

It really might be worth making some noise over, right?
Absolutely. I love this idea. I wonder if it could be inserted into the Psych Profile instead of making a brand new playlist. Or am I the only one who uses it when searching for a good game?

Hydranockz said:
Thread saved. Pro Pipe is about to get used waaaay more by me.

HaloGaf I need your assistance. Could anyone point me in the direction of the overhead shots of the new maps with the weapon placements pinpointed on them (if they even exist).

Much appreciated.

Gui_PT

Hydranockz said:

That is simply awesome! Thanks for the link.

Dax01 said:
The only thing Bungie needs to change about the pro pipe is that it should detonate on impact on a player no matter what the distance. Bring it back to it's Beta version!

Yeah, Bungie. Then change its name from Pro Pipe to Rocket Launcher!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Holy crap. I never noticed that with the skull indicated on the pro pipe.

Reminds of this video I took a while back.

It's the Pro Pipe, not the Noob Tube.

Tashi0106 said:
It's the Pro Pipe, not the Noob Tube.
It was the pro pipe in the Beta. Do you know how hard it is to aim that thing at a person so a grenade successfully impacts on him? In short, it is quite difficult.

Top Bottom