• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Havok

Striker said:
Falcons are easier to take down, and there's two pluses: you can hit a Falcon with a Rocket much easier than trying to lock on a Banshee who twirls around like a ballerina.

That said:

Why the hell is Drop Shields still present in Team Objective?
Why is BTB still getting raked with a million Slayer variants?
Why is Assault still not in any BTB maps?

At least there is Community BTB, but wait, it's still fucking Slayer. :|

Sigh. At least there's the Classic playlist. Any run down of the maps? By the names I can pull out most of them. Hydro and Battle Canyon I haven't recognized.
Yeah, I'm definitely nitpicking on that point.

And it seems like Hydro would be Damnation, and Battle Canyon would be Battle Creek.

Striker

I'm interested in the BTB maps in the Community playlist as well.

As for the Classic maps, it seems:

Beaver Creek re-imagined
Derelict
Hang 'Em High
Damnation
Warlock
Longest
Midship
Rat Race (assuming)
Lockout (hope this is Ash's)

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
The Sniper always has a place on BTB maps,
Not always. Often, though. See: Standoff. Great without, utterly ruined with.

Actually, I think they never, ever have a place. But they have more of a place on some than others.

O D I N said:
Oh, Arrival. What delicious Mass Effect story will you deliver?

Should only take me away from Halo for about... 4+ hours, hopefully?

Why am I so late to the party on this? Sadface.

Thanks Urk for the code! <3!

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:

Actually, I think they never, ever have a place. But they have more of a place on some than others.

Power weapons have a place in the game, and the sniper is one of them. I suck at sniping, but I understand and appreciate the importance of weapon control, and how it makes the game more fun in general. It's one of the things that makes Halo stand out.

Best update since Reach launched. Removal of banshees, evade from the arena, amongst other slivers of greatness will improve Reach tremendously. However, team snipers being my predominant abode...

"the removal of Pinnacle from team snipers"

Long overdue and a relief. Seeing yourself as blue team in the pregame lobby for that map felt like the walk to the gallows. Jeremiah, on the whole (drop shields in objective aside), has been a very solid playlist manager, it's great to see him interact with the community on such a frequent basis in optimatch.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

Funny, I never considered Standoff to be a proper BTB map - it was always just a bit too small, kind of like Tempest.

A Sniper should be powerful but never dominating, it has much to do with level layout as much as the skill of the player using it.

In all honesty, I like the role of the Sniper on a team. Not the camping, whiny bitch found in matchmaking but the proper long distance team support we usually see in Customs.

Also, please don't judge the Sniper based on the MM Highlands variant. It spawns every minute or two, just like Rockets, and everyone on the team can have one and still have 20+ shots to spare and 6 Rocks ammo.

It's just stupid and paints the Sniper in a horrible light, together with the variable spawning sometimes leaving you in open or randomly in the enemy base, it heavily messes up your perception of the weapon on the map.

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
I'm interested in the BTB maps in the Community playlist as well.

As for the Classic maps, it seems:

Beaver Creek re-imagined
Derelict
Hang 'Em High
Damnation
Warlock
Longest
Midship
Rat Race (assuming)
Lockout (hope this is Ash's)
It will be a crime if Ash55's map doesn't get added into the rotation for people who have the DLC.

Dani said:
Funny, I never considered Standoff to be a proper BTB map - it was always just a bit too small, kind of like Tempest.

A Sniper should be powerful but never dominating, it has much to do with level layout as much as the skill of the player using it.

In all honesty, I like the role of the Sniper on a team. Not the camping, whiny bitch found in matchmaking but the proper long distance team support we usually see in Customs.

Also, please don't judge the Sniper based on the MM Highlands variant. It spawns every minute or two, just like Rockets, and everyone on the team can have one and still have 20+ shots to spare and 6 Rocks ammo.

It's just stupid and paints the Sniper in a horrible light, together with the variable spawning sometimes leaving you in open or randomly in the enemy base, it heavily messes up your perception of the weapon on the map.
That post was me coming out of a game where every other death was caused by the sniper. I hope you understand.

Still want it removed.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
Power weapons have a place in the game, and the sniper is one of them. I suck at sniping, but I understand and appreciate the importance of weapon control, and how it makes the game more fun in general. It's one of the things that makes Halo stand out.
Of course power weapons have a place in the game. This is not to say they all need to be on every single map. That is my only point. What you wrote has nothing at all to do with what I said.

Now personally, I hate the sniper and think it makes every map worse, and most maps MUCH worse. It locks down large sections of maps and makes them off limits - see, the entire middle of Highlands and pretty much all of Hemorrhage - while letting people die instantly from the other side of the map with no notice which is the opposite of fun. People complain that the laser lets players toast vehicles from across a map with little to no recourse. This is my complaint about the sniper for infantry. Always has been.

But I also knowledge that I'm like, one of two people on earth that hold that view, so there's no point. But I think I'm being reasonable in saying it does not have to be on every map, and when it is, use it more judiciously than is currently used on maps like Highlands. When you make a map a sniper's paradise, it's hell for everyone else.

Dani said:
I think both work just fine for BTB. Standoff was one of my three favorites in Halo 3.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Bravo Bungie, I'm VERY impressed with the April MMU. :)

Here's hoping 343i implements changes to Condemned and Highlands as soon as possible, as well. :)

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
Of course power weapons have a place in the game. This is not to say they all need to be on every single map. That is my only point. What you wrote has nothing at all to do with what I said.

Actually, what you said was that you think the sniper never ever has a place on any map.

And my point was that, even though the sniper can give one player an unfair advantage over other players, that's its role as a power weapon, and one of the things that makes Halo different from games where weapon pickups don't exist. If you get rid of the sniper in multiplayer, it's one less power weapon to fight over, and although that might act as a great equalizer, it gets rid of some of the fun.

I'm pretty sure that does have something to do with what you said.

*Edit*

Whatevs :) No use arguing, sniper free Paradiso! Stoked.

Tawpgun

Dani said:
Urk said that it was up to 343i/CA to modify Highlands. So you know who to pester. =P

I just got out of the 343 community games. When I asked about the power weapon situation on Highlands I got an overwhelming NO WAY WE LOVE THE POWER WEAPONS response. Then again, it was from the community mostly, all but one of the 343 peeps were on the other team.

Also, they decided to do AR starts on Highlands CTF....

O D I N

Devin Olsen said:
This video only makes me miss the original RvB more.

I used to enjoy the series so much, I even paid to get the episodes a few days early each week.

I get what you're saying. I feel the same way in some regards, but I look at the other seasons (post 5) as a nice sidestory. They wanted to do something a little more than just wacky fun, and I think they pulled it off. I'm a sucker for a good story.

They also did it in a way so that if you wanted to stop at season 5, you can. There's closure (relatively). If you wanna keep going, there's some good times ahead.

Poor Donut. :<

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
I just got out of the 343 community games. When I asked about the power weapon situation on Highlands I got an overwhelming NO WAY WE LOVE THE POWER WEAPONS response. Then again, it was from the community mostly, all but one of the 343 peeps were on the other team.

Also, they decided to do AR starts on Highlands CTF....

Was Voc in charge of the game settings again? LOL

WU - "Replaced Banshees with Falcons in all non-Invasion gametypes on Breakpoint."

THANK YOU!!!

tumblr_lgaxowFQ5R1qbhse4.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
Bnet kids would get shit on.
Not if we pit our worst against their best(cracking smile here) grab some peeps from the midcard to be fair (Dax, Hitmonchan, SlightlyLive.)

Unless you want to stomp them in which case I am totally Team 2 material. ;)

Plywood said:
Not if we pit our worst against their best(cracking smile here) grab some peeps from the midcard to be fair (Dax, Hitmonchan, SlightlyLive.)

Unless you want to stomp them in which case I am totally Team 2 material. ;)
If we wanna be mean we'll send in Team 2.

MrBig

Gui_PT said:
I made a Rocky with rocks.

But at the end, it was so good, I was too ashamed to send it. Didn't want to destroy the competition
What you were just going to let this hide in forgegaf?
Share your beautiful work with the world!
reach_15196466_Medium.jpg

Lingitiz

equil said:
The playlist updates are finally making sense.
Seems like Reach is finally taking a turn for the better. First with the defiant maps and now with classic slayer and action sack. Hopefully it brings the player counts up past 200k

Tawpgun

I swear to god, everytime I play highlands I end up saving the game after.

<3 that map. Fix power weapons though. Only reason we didn't get an epic sudden death capture to tie the game was because some laser doosh got us.

GhaleonEB

Lingitiz said:
Seems like Reach is finally taking a turn for the better. First with the defiant maps and now with classic slayer and action sack. Hopefully it brings the player counts up past 200k
It's defiantly getting there. The updates have each made improvement; I'm very happy with the KotH, Banshee adjustments and Action Sack in particular.

As Dani said though, some big-ticket issues like drop shield in objective games remaining is very odd. But I was delighted with the list of changes.

The kind of stuff they're doing in Action Sack will have some great applications for customs, to boot.

I love Highlands to death. It's definitely my most favorite map since Valhalla, but seriously the power weapons need a fix.

- Snipers should be gone, or at least just have one.
- Rockets should be reduced to one and placed in the Pelican.
- Grenade Launchers (or Conc Rifles) should replace the Rockets at each base.
- Shotguns should be far far away from the Teleporters. I can't really think of where to put them, but yeah... Teleporter camping is lame.
- Needs more Revenant. :p

Hey You

Whenever I try to play Unearthed in either Score Attack or Custom Game Firefight, it doesn't load. Just sits at 0%. Anybody else have this issue? Any solutions?

LosDaddie

Banned
aw damn...I always miss the code giveaways. :(

Doesn't matter since I just bought Defiant anyway. I'm hopping online now if anyone wants to join. MM, Defiant, Noble, whatever...i'm game

Top Bottom