• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

Hey Urk what is going to happen to the over shield that will apparently "melt faces"

EDIT: Oh shit Alpha zombies is coming out in April too isnt it?

A thank you again to Urk & 343 for the code.
Played some Condemned & Highlands until about 3am.
Was wonderful for that first 20 seconds of each first match on the maps to just walk to a window/cliff edge and stare...
So beautiful. Wow.
I did however confirm my suspicions from pics & vids of Highlands that the glasses laser/plasma does look a little "cheap" or shoddy. Something off about how it leaves the ship.
I also didn't realise how big Condemned really was. Made for a pretty game in my opinion.
My snipers match on Highlands was good, but the BTB match was Sniper & especially rocket heavy. I did see what ye having been complaining about.

Either way, much love Urk. Providing my new shoddy connection holds up I'll try join in customs tonight.

zlatko said:
So um, how do I re-download the Recon helmet? I went to the marketplace and it's not on there. :(
Go to your Account Management, then Download History. Should be there.

Blueblur1 said:
What the hell is even going on with that series? :p
Rooster Teeth continue to push the boundaries.
Season 8 was arguably the best season, Monty's addition really gave the series a new life.

GhaleonEB said:
It's defiantly getting there. The updates have each made improvement; I'm very happy with the KotH, Banshee adjustments and Action Sack in particular.

As Dani said though, some big-ticket issues like drop shield in objective games remaining is very odd. But I was delighted with the list of changes.

The kind of stuff they're doing in Action Sack will have some great applications for customs, to boot.

I'm sorry but fuck right off to this kind of thinking. You are commending them for making these changes 6 months after release. Please let this sink in. I want you to, because that shit is ridiculous.

And I swear if I get a "thats what customs are for" then you don't understand the root of the issue. It's lazy upkeep.

They are not "odd" decisions, they are extremely questionable; i.e. stupid.

EDIT: So um my flag has expired it seems.

Dos Edits: Just kidding

Lead Based Paint said:
I'm sorry but fuck right off to this kind of thinking. You are commending them for making these changes 6 months after release. Please let this sink in. I want you to, because that shit is ridiculous.

And I swear if I get a "thats what customs are for" then you don't understand the root of the issue. It's lazy upkeep.

It would have been lazier had they done noting at all like a lot of devs post-release. Your post just reeks of ungratefulness... or terrible humour :p

Dax01 said:
I guess I'm going to start watching RvB season 8 soon.
As much as I enjoyed the humour, I never got into this. Watching that season 8 video was mindblowing.

What series would ye recommnd I start watching it at? I don't want a massive backlog of episodes to watch.

Holy crap at 343's attempt to canonize the new maps. I never realized Condemned was supposed to be the station from The Fall of Reach. I also never realized that pelican was the one from the crash which had all the spartans which bailed out. I dont know if they planned it like that but if they did thats pretty cool, and hopefully shows they will pay homage to the books in theyre next set of games. Someone else posted it already, but just so its clear what im talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh7Q3fjIIwc&feature=feedu

Also im so up for customs tonight, please tell me we will have classic settings on the defiant map pack? :p

bobs99 ... said:
Holy crap at 343's attempt to canonize the new maps. I never realized Condemned was supposed to be the station from The Fall of Reach. I also never realized that pelican was the one from the crash which had all the spartans which bailed out. I dont know if they planned it like that but if they did thats pretty cool, and hopefully shows they will pay homage to the books in theyre next set of games. Someone else posted it already, but just so its clear what im talking about:

Also im so up for customs tonight, please tell me we will have classic settings on the defiant map pack? :p
Haven't you seen the Behind the Scenes video? Certain Affinity looked into the fiction for some settings.

Btw. it is just coincidence that 343i only shows scene from Halo 3 ODST at the end of this video? I guess I'm thinking too much about it.

Dax01 said:
I guess I'm going to start watching RvB season 8 soon.
They never again reached the greatness that was Reconstruction, though. Revelation was good, but Reconstruction was amazing. Recreation was pretty meh.

O D I N

Blue Ninja said:
They never again reached the greatness that was Reconstruction, though. Revelation was good, but Reconstruction was amazing. Recreation was pretty meh.

Was Reconstruction the mini series with Wash?

O D I N said:
Was Reconstruction the mini series with Wash?
No, that was Recovery One. Reconstruction was the first series shot in Halo 3, the one that took place a few years after the BGC. It did feature Agent Washington, though.

Hydranockz said:
As much as I enjoyed the humour, I never got into this. Watching that season 8 video was mindblowing.

What series would ye recommnd I start watching it at? I don't want a massive backlog of episodes to watch.
You're missing out, but may as well start at 6, 7 or 8.

zlatko said:
Thanks Zeouterlimits. :)
No problem sir :)

neclas

Added a HUD widget for CTF gametypes which show when your flag is away from home or held by an enemy.
I will never understand why the heck this wasn't a default in the game, but I am so glad to see it being implemented.

MrBig

Lead Based Paint said:

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. Tell me about one other console developer that has even bothered to take care of their own creations in the same way that bungie has. Look at CoD. If there's a problem with that game they'll just "lol who cares we'll just change that in the next game and have them pay $60 for a title update in plastic packaging." Even in Halo 2/3 they had no where near the amount of flexibility and control of how they could alter and improve the game. They are creating new gametypes, fixing problems, and introducing new features. What else do you want? Yes it takes them a while, and their "it takes testing!" line is bullshit because stuff still has problems, but at least they are doing something.

Hypertrooper said:
Haven't you seen the Behind the Scenes video? Certain Affinity looked into the fiction for some settings.

Btw. it is just coincidence that 343i only shows scene from Halo 3 ODST at the end of this video? I guess I'm thinking too much about it.

Ah yeah I watched that a while back, they might have mentioned the pelican in that but I didnt know anything Condemned significance. It would be easy for them to just draw the parallels afterwards but if they planned it like that from the start thats pretty epic.

As for post release care... Bungie are brilliant for being creative and scripting new gametypes and then releasing them for free. The fact that they spent development time before the release of the game making such a dynamic system, and the fact that 6 months post release they are utilizing that system shows that they do care. They really didnt need to put the extra effort in, but they did - and thats awesome. This dynamic updating from within the game itself should be a feature on the box, with most games its impossible to add gametypes post release, or costly for the customer.

hahahaha im really sorry Hydranockz, me and a couple of friends wanted to go into Firefight to get the new map - so we had to back out when you joined, going in as a 5 wouldn't work. Sorry! That was akward - and I feel bad now. :(

Blueblur1

bobs99 ... said:

The is the first I've heard of this or seen this video.

Kudos to 343. That is fuckin bad ass.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So the general consensus on the new maps is better than Noble?

Also, Urk used "So mad at Bungie" in the update. Well done Urk, well done.

Karl2177

bobs99 ... said:
As for post release care... Bungie are brilliant for being creative and scripting new gametypes and then releasing them for free. The fact that they spent development time before the release of the game making such a dynamic system, and the fact that 6 months post release they are utilizing that system shows that they do care. They really didnt need to put the extra effort in, but they did - and thats awesome. This dynamic updating from within the game itself should be a feature on the box, with most games its impossible to add gametypes post release, or costly for the customer.
Example being Halo Wars, which forced consumers to spend money to get gametypes that were intended for release. Just from a technical perspective, if they can make changes to the individual .map file, does that mean that the only .map file they need to release a TU for be the mainmenu.map file? If that's the case, then that is awesome for anyone who wants to give the game legs later on the road.

As for Bungie's reaction time, can we come to agree that it could have been faster, but it is still great that they are still thinking of the community this far out.

MrBig

Alienshogun said:
So the general consensus on the new maps is better than Noble?

Also, Urk used "So mad at Bungie" in the update. Well done Urk, well done.
Highlands is on par with Tempest, but suitable to BTB. I'd agree with whoever it was that said it was the best BTB map since H2. Condemned is awkward the first few games and then it doesn't get much better. Unearthed is sure to be great but the lack of vehicles in this vehicle centric map is disappointing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:
Highlands is on par with Tempest, but suitable to BTB. I'd agree with whoever it was that said it was the best BTB map since H2. Condemned is awkward the first few games and then it doesn't get much better. Unearthed is sure to be great but the lack of vehicles in this vehicle centric map is disappointing.

As in no vehicles at all or just few and far between?

How's the frame rate in them, any glacier crap going on?

Best BTB map since H2? That's some big talk, I may have to bite, but I've been spending a lot of money working on Police department applications/background checks.

bobs99 ... said:
hahahaha im really sorry Hydraknockz, me and a couple of friends wanted to go into Firefight to get the new map - so we had to back out when you joined, going in as a 5 wouldn't work. Sorry! That was akward - and I feel bad now. :(
Don't worry about it ;) *forever alone* hahaha

MrBig

Alienshogun said:
As in no vehicles at all or just few and far between?

How's the frame rate in them, any glacier crap going on?

Best BTB map since H2? That's some big talk, I may have to bite, but I've been spending a lot of money working on Police department applications/background checks.
Only Rocket warthogs (which are terrible) and then the occasion ghost or wraith that gets dropped off.

No framerate problems anywhere.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:
Only Rocket warthogs (which are terrible) and then the occasion ghost or wraith that gets dropped off.

No framerate problems anywhere.

Nice.

I just bought my twin an Xbox, maybe I will have him get Reach and the maps.

GhaleonEB said:
Video rendering seems to have hit the brakes on b.net. I rendered two clips last night, and they're still in progress this morning.

They probably got armorlocked in route.

Had to do it, sorry.

Ghaleon, how you diggin the new FF map?

Hydranockz said:
Don't worry about it ;) *forever alone* hahaha

That doesnt make me feel better lol - ill send a invite later when we jump into matchmaking but right now we just failed at getting Unearthed as a group in firefight. :(

MrBig said:

Yeah the lack of vehicles on Unearthed is a bit weird. A second hog would be nice. As it is its about on par with Beachhead as far as being a vehicle map. Im still waiting for a Banshee based firefight map - hint hint 343 :p

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Ghaleon, how you diggin the new FF map?
That's what the videos are for. :(

Short version: good design, which plays better (and harder) than the other FF maps, sharply undercut by choice of vehicle.

Lead Based Paint said:

I'm confused, was this whole rant a joke? I'm assuming it is as REACH is probably the most polished online multiplayer game that's been released this generation in my opinion.

On another note it sure would be nice to get a playlist that covers both DLC Map Packs. 5 different map options would really be a nice variety and I think both sets of DLC are phenomenal.

Gui_PT

Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm confused, was this whole rant a joke? I'm assuming it is as REACH is probably the most polished online multiplayer game that's been released this generation in my opinion.

On another note it sure would be nice to get a playlist that covers both DLC Map Packs. 5 different map options would really be a nice variety and I think both sets of DLC are phenomenal.

Pretty sure he's serious. And correct on quite a few points.

They NEED to make a few changes that are so basic and simple. But we've been waiting for months to see those changes.

feel

Has anyone on the forums (hbo, bnet, etc) tracked down all the maps from the Classic playlist? Someone must have done that by now right?

edit-
was checking the wrong section of the Bnet forums, the Optimatch guys are on it:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55715741&postRepeater1-p=108

Lead Based Paint said:
So um my flag has expired it seems.
lmao

a bunch of people on football gaf are on the same situation, imgur definitely wasn't the best choice of image hosting for something long term like that.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:

They NEED to make a few changes that are so basic and simple. But we've been waiting for months to see those changes.
The size and scope of the updates have been nice, but yeah, there are some huge problems that are ignored (drop shield in objective?).

Firefight Arcade originally ran in January. On February 4th, Lars said weapon pick ups would be disabled soon. It's now March 19th and no word of when that's going to happen. Every game turns into FRG fight, and I haven't played more than a couple games in it while waiting for that to happen. But I don't understand why a change like that takes two months (minimum) to make, given the simplicity of it and the negative impact the current setting has on the playlist. Lars said exactly what needed to be done, but it takes months to implement.

Crucio

A27 Tawpgun said:
Any bets on when they fix the power weapon situation on Highlands? 343 or Bungie or whoevers doing it?

I think they'll have it done in time to coincide with the April update. 1-2 weeks within that timeframe.

GhaleonEB said:
The size and scope of the updates have been nice, but yeah, there are some huge problems that are ignored (drop shield in objective?).

Firefight Arcade originally ran in January. On February 4th, Lars said weapon pick ups would be disabled soon. It's now March 19th and no word of when that's going to happen. Every game turns into FRG fight, and I haven't played more than a couple games in it while waiting for that to happen. But I don't understand why a change like that takes two months (minimum) to make, given the simplicity of it and the negative impact the current setting has on the playlist. Lars said exactly what needed to be done, but it takes months to implement.

Truthfully I'd rather have them leave weapon pick ups in FF Arcade. I don't like getting stuck with rockets and pistol. I want to be able to use the needler and precisions. I mean I can manage with what they give me, but having already maxed out Get Loud, Heavies feel boring to me now.

Gui_PT said:

Oh no, I'm not saying its perfect, I'm was just surprised at the tone is all.

Kuroyume

Banned
If Breakpoint didn't have those Banshees I'd be tempted to say it's Noble. Even then it's hard to say. Tempest and Anchor 9 are really good. Same goes with the two maps in Defiant.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Any bets on when they fix the power weapon situation on Highlands? 343 or Bungie or whoevers doing it?

What's the problem with power weapons on Highlands? I've only played it once, because FireFight Heaven(UNEARTHED) is hard to leave so I am asking a serious question, I really don't know.

Gui_PT

I think I'd like to get a few games going on.

Anyone else interested so we can get a full party?

Mizzou Gaming said:
What's the problem with power weapons on Highlands? I've only played it once, because FireFight Heaven(UNEARTHED) is hard to leave so I am asking a serious question, I really don't know.

There are too many and they spawn way too fast.

Played Multi Flag on Highlands yesterday. At a certain point, I had 6 rockets and about 20 sniper rounds. Nobody even got close to that flag :lol

Hey You

wwm0nkey said:
EDIT: Oh shit Alpha zombies is coming out in April too isnt it?
Hecka Yes :D There's a possibility there's more changes coming. Jeremiah commented on a thread about no mention of Alpha Zombies (in the WU), and he said that (the list in the BWU) isn't the full list of changes.

Hey You

Crucio said:
Truthfully I'd rather have them leave weapon pick ups in FF Arcade. I don't like getting stuck with rockets and pistol. I want to be able to use the needler and precisions. I mean I can manage with what they give me, but having already maxed out Get Loud, Heavies feel boring to me now.
Then vote for a different gametype/go in with 3 players?

Weapon Pick-up killed FF arcade for me. I can't believe tweaking one setting requires testing on Bungie's part. I was sure that we would get an update from lars this week. Simple fixes like this,blocking off sections in Living Dead and Team Objective changes seem too hard for Bungie to do.

MrBig

Gui_PT said:
I think I'd like to get a few games going on.

Anyone else interested so we can get a full party?
I'd be down for that. We can also run the games into forgegaf in a couple of hours if people stay for that long.

Top Bottom