• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Whenever I try to play Unearthed in either Score Attack or Custom Game Firefight, it doesn't load. Just sits at 0%. Anybody else have this issue? Any solutions?
Check your file size. Do you have the ~400 meg version or the ~600 one? You want to have the latter. 343 released an updated map pack, so many had to update it.

If that doesn't do it, check here: http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#Defiant_FAQ

Worst-case, delete what you have and try re-downloading it.

Ramirez

A27 Tawpgun said:
I just got out of the 343 community games. When I asked about the power weapon situation on Highlands I got an overwhelming NO WAY WE LOVE THE POWER WEAPONS response. Then again, it was from the community mostly, all but one of the 343 peeps were on the other team.

Also, they decided to do AR starts on Highlands CTF....

343 killing Halo 4 hype one game at a time!

A27 Tawpgun said:
They removed it out of KOTH I think.

King is the new best matchmaking gametype obviously.

Also the matchmaking increase to 1 minute hills is very nice.

Really blown away by all the changes that will come in 11 days.
hype

neoism

This removing snipers talk is insane....
pwned.gif

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
They were still nice. I feel 343 is lax enough to do these community playdates. Bungie was obviously in overdrive 24/7 and couldn't really make time. I hope this interaction with the community continues.

Also, there was a party made for the people waiting for 343 invites. Community organized, and we played a little 8 v 8 on Highlands...

This was seriously the greatest sequence of events ever. All starting with a friendly fire ghost splatter.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15279848&player=Tawpgun

Ramirez

A27 Tawpgun said:
They were still nice. I feel 343 is lax enough to do these community playdates. Bungie was obviously in overdrive 24/7 and couldn't really make time. I hope this interaction with the community continues.

Also, there was a party made for the people waiting for 343 invites. Community organized, and we played a little 8 v 8 on Highlands...

This was seriously the greatest sequence of events ever. All starting with a friendly fire ghost splatter.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15279848&player=Tawpgun

Eh Bungie has been nice enough to grant GAF 2 humpdays and countless custom appearances over the years. Mcbloggy is actually pretty good with a BR, I remember her pooping on Blood, Trasher, and Eazy at Bungie back at PAX 08, laaaaawl.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
I mean yeah I feel that way, but at the end of the day I decided to shut my mouth and just abuse the very thing I called and still feel is cheap/exploitive. It got me so many wins.

yJsW5.gif

I feel I should emphasize how many wins exactly:

EMvRX.png

That's right 112 wins only 5 losses.

Scrubbers gonna scrub.

Yrl1M.png

Ramirez

I can't speak for everyone, but the current Highlands settings give very little reason for people to leave the base, especially for CTF. You can always bank on at least 2 guys sitting on top of the base with a max set of sniper/rockets waiting for you to come up. It just promotes a boring campy style of gameplay from the few games I've played. The Reach rockets are insane anyways, but to be able to legitimately have 4+ at pretty much all times is complete overkill.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if there were actual good vehicles on the map, seriously do we need rockets, nade launcher, snipers, plasma launchers, AND a laser to handle a couple of measly warthogs and ghosts? The ghost is pathetic in Reach, the guns rarely ever kill anyone before you're molested by a couple of DMRs, and splattering is no longer a sure bet with AL in the mix. The warthog isn't much better, it handles like complete crap and the gun doesn't really kill fast enough unless someone is just completely stranded out in the open. Map could probably do better with a Falcon and Revenant at each base, the Falcons would at least alleviate some of the top base camping.

Double Team has some really bad people in it, me and Eazy are 13-0 and I'm not even sure anyone has scored more than 10 points, lol. Having no trueskill in a playlist yet is so great...

Plywood said:
I mean yeah I feel that way, but at the end of the day I decided to shut my mouth and just abuse the very thing I called and still feel is cheap/exploitive. It got me so many wins.

yJsW5.gif

I feel I should emphasize how many wins exactly:

EMvRX.png

That's right 112 wins only 5 losses.

Scrubbers gonna scrub.

Yrl1M.png

Holy tits.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
Holy tits.
The 117 games played is fapworthy.
Ramirez said:
Double Team has some really bad people in it, me and Eazy are 13-0 and I'm not even sure anyone has scored more than 10 points, lol. Having no trueskill in a playlist yet is so great...
"Trueskill"
RqQXk.gif
matching me up with people who aren't even teammates they're just randoms is always a good time.
neoism said:
Goddamn Plywood. Your "GOOD"! :0
Well it helps that I play with my brother. So there is definite synergy there.

So I played a couple games at halftime and the new maps are pretty good!

Condemned is much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I really like the atmosphere and the general flow of the map. Feels old school.

Highlands is instantly one my favorite MP maps. We'll see if t stays that way over time though. Ironically, my first game was Team Snipers...also at some point during BTB slayer I had 30 rounds of shotgun ammo.

Unearthed is a firefight map, only bigger! I like the different routes you have to move around the map without feeling like my back is always against a wall. Those skirmishers seem to like all of those routes a little too much though.

Which leads me to this. What the hell happened to all of the skirmishers? Weren't we supposed to get some sort of explanation of their demise? I'm fine with the answer being 'video games', but I swear we were promised an explanation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ramirez said:

I don't know what Tawpgun heard, but we've been working with Bungie to address how many power weapons there are, and what their respawn times are, since a couple of days after the maps dropped. Much as we enjoy raining rockets on everyone's heads and sniping their remains all day, we are listening to the complaints about it.

zlatko

Banned
Finally got my copy of the game in the mail today. Played for about 5 hours I think maybe more. The new maps are great. The new playlists are sweet. I felt the matchmaking was faster too to get me to the map selection screen. I still wish getting into games was quicker, but it did feel there was a slight improvement and I'll take something over nothing.

MLG playlist was a real treat to me. First few games I got completely dumped on, but once I got my brain to 'click' into how to play again I started going positive to help my team more instead of hinder it. :p I had never played Grifball until tonight either and that was a ton of fun too. Definitely something I could play more of when I'm out to just mess around with buddies and not be so serious. :)

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
I don't know what Tawpgun heard, but we've been working with Bungie to address how many power weapons there are, and what their respawn times are, since a couple of days after the maps dropped. Much as we enjoy raining rockets on everyone's heads and sniping their remains all day, we are listening to the complaints about it.
Not sure if it was unclear or something, but the people who said they loved the power weapons were from the community, NOT 343. We only had one 343 employee on our team and if he did say something, I didn't hear it.

But its great to hear our complaints are being heard. In the meantime I'll probably forge up a "fixed" Highlands.

Thermite

OuterWorldVoice said:

<3

witness

I still can't get into a firefight game on unearthed. I tried probably a dozen times tonight and it never popped. I played it on score attack but that's it. I hope to finally get a game on it tomorrow.

Lingitiz

witness said:
I still can't get into a firefight game on unearthed. I tried probably a dozen times tonight and it never popped. I played it on score attack but that's it. I hope to finally get a game on it tomorrow.
Yeah same year i've been trying to get it on firefight arcade a few times but no luck. If anyone wants to get on some firefight unearthed tomorrow send me an invite. GT: Geflat0

krakov

minasodaboy said:
Condemned is much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I really like the atmosphere and the general flow of the map. Feels old school.

Totally agree, atmosphere on condemned is awesome. Feels almost like a single player space in that regard. I'm not so sure on the flow, really like uplink though, feel like a slayer size base to base battle.

On another note, is base switching on highlands? I'm sure I've spawned on blue team a few times and when i return it's just a bunch of red team campers. That really sucks, on every map. BTB tempest would be awesome if done right, but as of now it's just a mess.

EDIT: "Replaced Banshees with Falcons in all non-Invasion gametypes on Breakpoint." Great stuff.

neoism said:
This removing snipers talk is insane....
pwned.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Funny how it's never an issue on a map like Hemorrhage, or at least I haven't noticed anyone complaining about it despite the inevitable race "for da snipa!" at the start of every game. Everyone knows that it's almost guaranteed kills with all that open space to work with. Highlands, on the other hand, at least provides players with a number of different ways to get from point A to point B without being a sitting duck.

Like it's been suggested already, just increase the spawn times and maybe place the laser in the center of the map and you're good to go. No need to remove the snipers.

OuterWorldVoice said:

cool_monkey.gif

Awesome games, Sai-Kun and heckfu :)

Shake Appeal said:
He said he was out of codes. Which sucks, cuz For a few Allards More:

afewallardsmore.jpg
Wait a second! You don't have the maps yet? You got no codes? Damn. Okay, you deserve the code more than everyone else.(If anybody gives some codes away again)

JonCha

Just read the Bungie WU. Some crazy additions, and could potentially backfire. Not sure what I think yet about being able to carry multiple flags on your back, especially if you can sprint with them.

Also surprised that the April Matchmaking update is coming out... in March. I hope Jeremiah has chosen the best remakes, because that will really shape future of this playlist. I feel there is only one chance to get this Classic playlist right.

Kuroyume

Banned
Wow, the maps are actually good. Well, I've only played a game of Stockpile and Slayer on the small one but I played a bunch on Highlands and it was a ton of fun. It definitely feels like the best BTB map in Reach although that's not saying much. I thought you guys were overhyping it...

SKYBOX SKYBOX SKYBOX SKYBOX three sentences on something other than the freaking skybox and then SKYBOX SKYBOX SKYBOX SKYBOX

But, it's actually good. Wow!

I think they should considering putting the laser or sniper in the middle or just having the laser on one side of the map and a sniper on the other.

Kujo

Kuroyume said:
I played a bunch on Highlands and it was a ton of fun. It definitely feels like the best BTB map in Reach although that's not saying much. I thought you guys were overhyping it...
Best BTB map since Halo 2 IMO

wwm0nkey

JonCha said:
Just read the Bungie WU. Some crazy additions, and could potentially backfire. Not sure what I think yet about being able to carry multiple flags on your back, especially if you can sprint with them.

Also surprised that the April Matchmaking update is coming out... in March. I hope Jeremiah has chosen the best remakes, because that will really shape future of this playlist. I feel there is only one chance to get this Classic playlist right.
Speed flag and speed pile sound amazing.

JonCha said:

My problem will be the douche with sprint that gets the flag and does not capture it at all.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
This.

They should be in defualt matchmaking. I can't wait to play them because it sounds like its like Quake/Unreal CTF.
I do think they will need to make it so you die quicker though like in those games because if not it will be far to easy to get the flag. Well on speedflag atleast. Speedpile is fine.

Top Bottom