• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

MrBig said:
So yeah, i found a shortcut up to the top of the AA tower to assassinate the fuel brute the doesn't involve cutting it ridiculously close with the jet pack and will always work :)
reach_16736899_Full.jpg

This actually gets you there before the turrets even drop down, so you can assassinate the FRG brute easier and then when the turrets do drop the other phantom is there as well so they bump into each other and cause all sorts of things to happen, like flinging dropping enemies off and glitching the turrets into the ground.

Booshka

Plywood said:
Fuck bloom and its host dependent latent bullshit.
The bloom reset is dependent on the quality of the Host? How is that possible, I could see shots not registering, but that sounds ridiculous if your Bloom reset is related to the connection, I thought it was all based on the pace of your shots.

Ramirez

Booshka said:
The bloom reset is dependent on the quality of the Host? How is that possible, I could see shots not registering, but that sounds ridiculous if your Bloom reset is related to the connection, I thought it was all based on the pace of your shots.

Easiest way to put it is, if you have host you really don't have to worry about pacing your shots. If you're not host, you can pace your shots, and you'll still get smoked. I believe it's more of a your shots just don't register thing, but when you're in the game and you're trying to mentally tell yourself to pace your shots, and then you notice it's not even working correctly, it becomes extremely frustrating quickly.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Booshka said:
I don't know about the technical details I only know what I feel from having played over 1800+ games. I'm in the top 100 on Halocharts for Double Team. I could make a montage of laughable bloom moments. I've been 5 shotted perfectly in front of peoples faces while I'm spamming the trigger with the reticule still covering their head fully mind you. I've been out shot while pacing my shots for accuracy in long distance. While the other person is without a doubt spamming. I've headshotted one shot people(seen the bullet make contact/sparks on the side of their head) only to be cheated out of the shot.

I loathe this mechanic so much it's not even funny. I really enjoy Reach for a lot of things that it does and does well, but this mechanic does not belong in any competitive environment. It's been very clear to me when I've won because I've had host and therefore been given a headshot from bloom or when an enemy is pacing there shot as am I and yet I come out on top because I was host.

I've played so many games of Double Team its become clear when an enemy has host over me as there shots hit me in a incredibly accurate manner at a unusually fast pace.

Anyway I'm just venting but the shit is bananas and the competitive player in me makes me yell and stuff.

vbOHv.jpg

Hey You said:
Is it that time of the week already?
There's blood everywhere and I just changed the sheets.

Schmitty

Bloom gets me hot and bothered in arena as well. There's nothing worse than losing a firefight when you had the jump because that one shot missed and his didn't

Booshka said:
I don't know if it really is or not since I have no hard evidence to back it up but try playing a local multiplayer match. Bloom is much less of an issue there.

Can people just stop complaining about bloom already? We get it already. Either adapt, move on, or just scroll back a pages if you want to read a bloom argument.

My goodness... Reach has the most balanced sandbox in the entire series and whether you like it or not, you have bloom to thank for that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lake Minnetonka said:
Can people just stop complaining about bloom already? We get it already. Either adapt, move on, or just scroll back a pages if you want to read a bloom argument.
It's like you didn't even read my post. I was just venting. Go sing the praises of firefight the laggiest game mode in Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
Survey completed. Excitement: rising.

I know same here, unfortunately I need to realize that this is probably quite a ways off.

Alienshogun said:
There were other questions that link into those though, "Do you like customizing your character, do you like having things no one else has, etc."

Sure they could be just a persistent upgrade system, but the overall feeling I got was MMO.

I expect their next game to be an MMO, or at least something with heavy RPG/MMO elements.

Ramirez

Plywood said:
It's like you didn't even read my post. I was just venting. Go sing the praises of firefight the laggiest game mode in Reach.

Oh no, you fell for it!

lol trasher!

I just can't see their next game being an MMO, especially if it's going to be on the PS3/360, these systems probably have 2 years left in them, certainly not enough time to get an MMO going and keep it alive. Not to mention I don't know why Activision would want to partner up to make another MMO when they have WoW, and Blizzard's next MMO eventually. *shrug*

Plywood said:
All bloom complaints are the same. I've played online games for almost 4 years now and I've learned that people will blame anything but themselves for poor performance; whether losing a match or a single firefight. If it wasn't bloom you'd be blaming lag, your teammates, maps, the list goes on. I'll revise the blame list for you though.

Reason's for dying:
  1. Plywood
  2. Plywood being too poor to get fast internet

Learn to pace your shots or get a job so you can afford a 1st world internet connection.

Schmitty

Lake Minnetonka said:

My goodness... Reach has the most balanced sandbox in the entire series and whether you like it or not, you have bloom to thank for that.
Hey!

Bloom did not make things balanced.

Edit:

Lake Minnetonka said:
All bloom complaints are the same. I've played online games for almost 4 years now and I've learned that people will blame anything but themselves for poor performance; whether losing a match or a single firefight. If it wasn't bloom you'd be blaming lag, your teammates, maps, the list goes on. I'll revise the blame list for you though.

Reason's for dying:
  1. Plywood

Learn to pace your shots or get a job so you can afford a 1st world internet connection.
Someone really is cross tonight

Louis Wu

MrBig said:
reach_16736899_Full.jpg

This actually gets you there before the turrets even drop down, so you can assassinate the FRG brute easier and then when the turrets do drop the other phantom is there as well so they bump into each other and cause all sorts of things to happen, like flinging dropping enemies off and glitching the turrets into the ground.
I tried this - I can't make it to the top of that last jump. :(

MrBig

Louis Wu said:
I tried this - I can't make it to the top of that last jump. :(
Stand on top of that little garden thing and then jump and jet pack up to the gray ledge, you shouldn't even use half of your fuel. Then you can just sit there while it recharges and then jet pack to the top.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lake Minnetonka said:

Reason's for dying:
  1. Plywood

j0hbB.jpg

I can't believe I'm entertaining this but
t
fuck it.

I've played Halo online since Halo 2 that's Halo for 6+ years, I know the ins and outs of each game as I've drilled the game into my head enough times to understand the mechanics.

Lag is a perfectly valid reason to complaint about deaths, I've had green bar connection games that lag.

My teammate is my brother, he knows what the fuck he is doing.

Seeing as I'm talking about maps in Double Team the only two maps I have issue with are Unanchored(not a big deal except for the initial rush for Rockets) and Powerhouse(which rarely comes up if ever).

I can own up to when I've played poorly and I know when I play poorly.

I have one of the fastest ISPs available in my area. 22 down 6 up. I'd have FiOS if it were available in my area.

tl;dr drink your fucking water.

Booshka

This is why I stopped taking Halo seriously after Halo 2, and that game had an unbelievable amount of BS in it. I play Halo casually now, I still try to win, but I don't freak out when the game throws me some nonsense. Halo hasn't really been a good competitive title since Halo CE, but it is still fun if you play it casually and don't try to take it "Pro Gamer" serious, because it wasn't designed with that in mind.

I leave that seriousness to Shadowrun, which was designed with competitive gaming in mind, it still has some very frustrating elements, all of them due to online lag (dying through walls), but by no fault in its game design.

The Bloom mechanic seems to be balanced for larger maps and for games where people actually use AR's, etc at close to mid-range. It becomes a spam happy, random affair when the DMR is the primary weapon on smaller arena style maps, or just close encounters in general. It wasn't designed to be a utility weapon that is reliable in all circumstances like the Halo 1 Pistol, or what the BR in H2 eventually became (helped by glitches and a Title Update). This design choice for Reach and Halo 3 works for the general Halo audience and I understand it. It has led to me not taking the game serious on a competitive shooter level, and just playing it for the "mainstream, balanced for everyone and no one" game it has become.

It's unfortunate, because I love Halo, but it is just how the climate of console shooters has evolved. It helps me to not get too frustrated or despise Bungie for their choices, they made the right move to appeal to a large audience. I have to stick with a niche game with a tiny community and a dead developer to get my Competitive console shooter fix.

It also helps that I got it for Free.

Booshka said:
I leave that seriousness to Shadowrun, which was designed with competitive gaming in mind, it still has some very frustrating elements, all of them due to online lag (dying through walls), but by no fault in its game design.
I think you just need to adapt to the new way Halo plays. The same genius behind Shadowrun also designed Reach's sandbox.

Sage.png

Get a few hundred games under your belt and you'll feel that competitive Shadowrun juice flood through your veins once more. And it has a much better net code too!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lake Minnetonka said:
I think you just need to adapt to the new way Halo plays. The same genius behind Shadowrun also designed Reach's sandbox.

http://www.halopedian.com/images/f/f8/Sage.png[IMG]

Get a few hundred games under your belt and you'll feel that competitive Shadowrun juice flood through your veins once more. And it has a much better net code too![/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SceLw.png

Lake Minnetonka said:

Sage.png

Get a few hundred games under your belt and you'll feel that competitive Shadowrun juice flood through your veins once more. And it has a much better net code too!

Shadowrun was so good, and its sandbox really shined. I was very excited to hear that Sage was in charge of the sandbox for Reach. Unfortunately it appears we got a bastard child of distinct weapon roles and the previous balancing of Halo sandboxes, which is a bit odd.

Really I'm just crying about the beta Magnum being nerfed. Wants it back ;(

Booshka

Sorry but no, Sage is a great designer, but the magic of Shadowrun and Halo CE is from John Howard. Like I said, Halo has to appeal to a wide audience and has tons of features and tools for multiple communities to craft it into the style of Halo they want to play. This is fantastic, but it doesn't compare to when a game is designed with a competitive and skill based mindset from the get go.

There is more depth, complexity and far more balance to the abilities and weapons in Shadowrun, the map design is also fantastic. With no unnecessary Geometry in the maps to clutter it up and get you stuck on. Countdown is a great example in Reach for this flaw, just look at the doorways and the walls, total nonsense.

I also enjoy the Counter-Strike style to Shadowrun, no random spawns, no running to get better weapons because the one I started with just isn't good enough (except Halo 1, which had it right with the Pistol on spawn). The netcode in SR is very good, just more frustrating because it has a more international player pool in comparison to its overall player base, along with the performance disparity among console and PC players.

Even little things like how well the magnetism works in Halo 1 and Shadowrun. Ever since Halo 2, the magnetism model got rid of equal magnetism at range in and out of zoom. At a certain distance the magnetism turns off without zoom in the Halo's after H2. The distance isn't that far too, so you are at a disadvantage when you aren't zoomed in and shooting and your opponent is. It is jarring to go from typical console magnetism, to what the fuck no auto aim whatsoever while being shot at. The best tactic is to try and quickly zoom back in and knock the other guy out of his. In Halo 1 and Shadowrun your magnetism is not turned off at range, so you don't have to constantly zoom and readjust to shoot targets at range. The shooting model flows better this way and allows for a more consistent experience. I don't know why this ever changed, but I do know that John Howard was responsible for the perfection in these two games aiming models, ever since then console shooter designers have been fucking it up.

Booshka said:
Sorry but no, Sage is a great designer, but the magic of Shadowrun and Halo CE is from John Howard. Like I said, Halo has to appeal to a wide audience and has tons of features and tools for multiple communities to craft it into the style of Halo they want to play. This is fantastic, but it doesn't compare to when a game is designed with a competitive and skill based mindset from the get go.

There is more depth, complexity and far more balance to the abilities and weapons in Shadowrun, the map design is also fantastic. With no unnecessary Geometry in the maps to clutter it up and get you stuck on. Countdown is a great example in Reach for this flaw, just look at the doorways and the walls, total nonsense.

I also enjoy the Counter-Strike style to Shadowrun, no random spawns, no running to get better weapons because the one I started with just isn't good enough (except Halo 1, which had it right with the Pistol on spawn). The netcode in SR is very good, just more frustrating because it has a more international player pool in comparison to its overall player base, along with the performance disparity among console and PC players.

Even little things like how well the magnetism works in Halo 1 and Shadowrun. Ever since Halo 2, the magnetism model got rid of equal magnetism at range in and out of zoom. At a certain distance the magnetism turns off without zoom in the Halo's after H2. The distance isn't that far too, so you are at a disadvantage when you aren't zoomed in and shooting and your opponent is. It is jarring to go from typical console magnetism, to what the fuck no auto aim whatsoever while being shot at. The best tactic is to try and quickly zoom back in and knock the other guy out of his. In Halo 1 and Shadowrun your magnetism is not turned off at range, so you don't have to constantly zoom and readjust to shoot targets at range. The shooting model flows better this way and allows for a more consistent experience. I don't know why this ever changed, but I do know that John Howard was responsible for the perfection in these two games aiming models, ever since then console shooter designers have been fucking it up.
There is no pleasing you. You sound like a miserable person.

Cheer up guy.

eeblogue

Neo Member
I’ve gathered that when playing Reach on host/LAN you receive a pinch less aim assist and a lot more bullet magnetism.

Spamming your DMR is stupidly effective in general, but when on host it is definitely the optimal way of using the weapon.

Ramirez

Booshka said:
This is why I stopped taking Halo seriously after Halo 2, and that game had an unbelievable amount of BS in it. I play Halo casually now, I still try to win, but I don't freak out when the game throws me some nonsense. Halo hasn't really been a good competitive title since Halo CE, but it is still fun if you play it casually and don't try to take it "Pro Gamer" serious, because it wasn't designed with that in mind.

The Bloom mechanic seems to be balanced for larger maps and for games where people actually use AR's, etc at close to mid-range. It becomes a spam happy, random affair when the DMR is the primary weapon on smaller arena style maps, or just close encounters in general. It wasn't designed to be a utility weapon that is reliable in all circumstances like the Halo 1 Pistol, or what the BR in H2 eventually became (helped by glitches and a Title Update). This design choice for Reach and Halo 3 works for the general Halo audience and I understand it. It has led to me not taking the game serious on a competitive shooter level, and just playing it for the "mainstream, balanced for everyone and no one" game it has become.

It's unfortunate, because I love Halo, but it is just how the climate of console shooters has evolved. It helps me to not get too frustrated or despise Bungie for their choices, they made the right move to appeal to a large audience. I have to stick with a niche game with a tiny community and a dead developer to get my Competitive console shooter fix.

It also helps that I got it for Free.

If you or anyone you're playing is using the AR regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Ramirez

Booshka said:
ehh, should have expected these kind of responses.

What response is that? You come in here proclaiming the game has no competitive values to it anymore after probably playing less than 50 games of the MP. The game caters to a lot of different sets of people for sure, but the competitive modes are alive and kicking as well.

edit: so you've played close to 200 games, my apologies.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
What response is that? You come in here proclaiming the game has no competitive values to it anymore after probably playing less than 50 games of the MP. The game caters to a lot of different sets of people for sure, but the competitive modes are alive and kicking as well.

edit: so you've played close to 200 games, my apologies.
My point is that the game is made competitive by the community, not by the developers, and that is great for a mainstream game but for a competitive e-sports title it is not ideal. I still like the game, I just don't take it serious on a competitive level.

I would also say that about Halo 2, and I played 10,000 games of that.

Ramirez said:
The game caters to a lot of different sets of people for sure, but the competitive modes are alive and kicking as well.
Fun fact:
The Living Dead playlist currently has a population of 2.6k, that's greater than both The Arena and MLG combined. And the majority of that playlist's population had to go to bed hours ago.

Not to alarm anyone but I think Ramirez is a joke character. There's no way he honestly believes what he's talking about.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lake Minnetonka said:
Fun fact:
The Living Dead playlist currently has a population of 2.6k, that's greater than The Arena, MLG, and Team Classic combined. And the majority of that playlist's population had to go to bed hours ago.

Fixed.

Havok said:
There are no words to express the depth of my disappointment in the player base.
No kidding, Bungie made the game cater to a lot of different sets of people for sure, but the competitive modes should be alive and kicking as well.

Bungie does everything in their power to cater to a competitive playerbase but players are so stupid they can't even see it. I'll warn you right now, don't get me started on how players ignore Team Object even though Bungie's crafted some of the best, bleeding edge objective gametypes for their fans to play.

If only the playerbase was better...

Falagard

It's sad, but I have no desire to play Reach anymore. I'm waiting for the next Halo game hopefully to go back to its roots, and looking for something to replace Reach.

I'm keeping an eye for Brink. It's not the same style game, being a class based objective multiplayer shooter, but at least it isn't Call of Duty.

Ramirez

LoL, you're classic man. (eazy)

Anyways, I seriously cannot believe stuff like the sniper respawn times on Asylum STILL aren't fixed. A sniper should not be in play the entire game, a team should not be able to have two snipes without even stealing the other teams sniper, such a sad excuse of a game.

Nutter

Someones "ACT" is getting old.

Game has so many issues, its not even worth discussing anymore since it is clear nothing will be done. Objective Playlist needs tweaks all over the place, but if it takes 8 months to finally even look at BTB, then nothing can be said how long it will take for Objective to get some changes. Flag return times are stupid long on small maps. 2 Grenades in Classic needs to be changed to 1 at spawn. Sniper re-spawn times are stupid, in fact snipers re-spawn faster then the flag returns on Asylum in a regular flag game.

Then the Playlist structure and the number of playlists....I honestly do not get some of the choices made for Matchmaking in this game and 3. Why the base playlists does not consist of the following is beyond me.

Team Slayer (4v4 or 5v5)

DMR starts, Pistol Starts, Pro (Without Radar)

Team Objective (4v4)

1 Flag(DMR)(Pistol), 2 Flag, CTF Classic, 1 Bomb(DMR)(Pistol), Neutral Bomb, Oddball.

Team Skirmish

Stockpile, Headhunter, Territories, 3 Plot, VIP.

Of course you would still get BTB and Multi Team and Action Sack.

Top Bottom