• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Gui_PT

Plywood said:
Operation Chastity? Awful name.

More appropriately, it's the name of the musical about my sex life.

That weekly is miiine!

That FRG Brute was tough, but that just made it more fun

wwm0nkey

Kibbles said:
Honestly, I think the marine's armor should be better... looks like a silly Halloween costume, not something military practical.

It looks like a lot of work is being put into this though, I can't wait to see the results.
CGI can do wonders you know :)

Havok

On rails sections: still totally suck. On rails sections where you can be killed from an enemy that is 180 degrees behind you so you literally cannot hit them, over and over again: totally suck more. On rails sections where you can be killed from an enemy that is 180 degrees behind you so you literally cannot hit them, over and over again, that do not checkpoint as the section starts: maybe the worst thing ever.

gg bungie.

Schmitty

Havok said:
On rails sections: still totally suck. On rails sections where you can be killed from an enemy that is 180 degrees behind you so you literally cannot hit them, over and over again: totally suck more. On rails sections where you can be killed from an enemy that is 180 degrees behind you so you literally cannot hit them, over and over again, that do not checkpoint as the section starts: maybe the worst thing ever.

gg bungie.
quoi?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gui_PT said:
More appropriately, it's the name of the musical about my sex life.
l6nG2.jpg

Havok

Schmitty said:
The Banshees on Exodus approach from the ocean, often firing their fuel rods as they do so, which can be an instant death, and if you only have 1 or 2 players, there's nobody that can hit them with their turret (since both players are facing the buildings). The level isn't hard even with LASO, but that section is frustrating in all the wrong ways. I only died a few times because of it, but that's enough to be really annoying when I didn't get a checkpoint as I approached the Falcons and had to redo about 2 minutes of scavenging for health and ammo each time.

Crucio

That was by far the easiest LASO, but it still took 2 hours.
The worst part was the first two Fuel Rod Brutes. The last run is always easy, we use Duvall + fuel rod Passenger. Then one of us gets one of the tanks. I bring drop off Duvall in the hog on the right side of the compound just on top of the first set of stairs. Eventually I got the chance to flick the switch.
Havok said:

gg bungie.

I hope you didn't go in the rails with low shields. In Co-op all we did was use plasma pistols to hit each other once and use the numerous health packs around the compounds.
OR use the hammer to take down the last few enemies.

Havok said:
Full shields, doesn't really matter if they get the fuel rod off when you can't see them.
Hmm I guess we got off lucky, first pass, no deaths.

Havok

Crucio said:
That was by far the easiest LASO, but it still took 2 hours.
The worst part was the first two Fuel Rod Brutes. The last run is always easy, we use Duvall + fuel rod Passenger. Then one of us gets one of the tanks. I bring drop off Duvall in the hog on the right side of the compound just on top of the first set of stairs. Eventually I got the chance to flick the switch.

I hope you didn't go in the rails with low shields. In Co-op all we did was use plasma pistols to hit each other once and use the numerous health packs around the compounds.
OR use the hammer to take down the last few enemies.
Full shields, doesn't really matter if they get the fuel rod off when you can't see them.

MrBig

Havok said:
The Banshees on Exodus approach from the ocean, often firing their fuel rods as they do so, which can be an instant death, and if you only have 1 or 2 players, there's nobody that can hit them with their turret (since both players are facing the buildings). The level isn't hard even with LASO, but that section is frustrating in all the wrong ways. I only died a few times because of it, but that's enough to be really annoying when I didn't get a checkpoint as I approached the Falcons and had to redo about 2 minutes of scavenging for health and ammo each time.
I wasted two hours doing this today through two failed attempts caused by, in the first instance, a checkpoint while falling into an abyss, and in the second by it giving me a checkpoint while a grenade was not even a meter away from me.

Tashi0106 said:
Fuck the disadvantaged team over? Spawn camping and power weapon hoarding is part of the game. At that point I'm doing whatever I can to make the guys left quit out. I just want the game to end as fast as possible to start another one.
I never quit--even in instances when all of my teammates quit--but I also keep playing normally. Now, if my opponents want to be dicks by taunting me, I will play like the biggest bitch in the world: I'll hide, camp, & milk that timer out (and sometimes even win while doing so).

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
I wasted two hours doing this today through two failed attempts caused by, in the first instance, a checkpoint while falling into an abyss, and in the second by it giving me a checkpoint while a grenade was not even a meter away from me.
If you die five times immediately after a checkpoint, the game will revert to the previous checkpoint. It's fail safe built into every game in the series in the case of checkpoints like that. You can leverage it if you hit a checkpoint and find you want to go back and get better prepared by suiciding upon spawn five times consecutively (assuming you can, such as with plasma grenades). We had to do that once during the successful team Tip of the Spear LASO run due to Wraith troubles.
MrBig said:
I was going it solo. Otherwise it was two deathless runs.
Okay, you were screwed. That sucks. :(

GhaleonEB said:
If you die five times immediately after a checkpoint, the game will revert to the previous checkpoint. It's fail safe built into every game in the series in the case of checkpoints like that. You can leverage it if you hit a checkpoint and find you want to go back and get better prepared by suiciding upon spawn five times consecutively (assuming you can, such as with plasma grenades). We had to do that once during the successful team Tip of the Spear LASO run due to Wraith troubles.

This is a useful tactic if you aren't playing solo using the save and quit method which I found to my chagrin today. I messed up the assassination on the fuel rod brute after the massive jetpack leap. I then ran out of dmr ammo with the aforementioned brute and the hammer brute still roaming. So I ventured out the front entrance to find some deemer ammo and to my horror I triggered a checkpoint and spawned a whole batch of enemies. I thought i'd completely messed the run but I somehow triumphed through adversity but that's a tale better told with pictures on another day.

The Real Napsta said:
So i downloaded the NASCAR gametype on Speed and IDK wtf you are supposed to do if you are the zombie.

You have a grav hammer and plasma grenades. Destroy passing Warthogs.

Or are you confused about being stuck at the beginning? It gives the Warthogs a chance to get up to speed, you can drop down after a short time period.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I was going it solo. Otherwise it was two deathless runs.

Havok said:

gg bungie.
Out of all the times I played the on-rails sections in Exodus, I've never been shot down. Is it really that bad?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HiredN00bs said:
I never quit--even in instances when all of my teammates quit--but I also keep playing normally. Now, if my opponents want to be dicks by taunting me, I will play like the biggest bitch in the world: I'll hide, camp, & milk that timer out (and sometimes even win while doing so).
Lol I always tell my teammates not to T Bag or melee the dead body of the last guy in the game because it will him stay. Hahahah

Havok

Dax01 said:
Out of all the times I played the on-rails sections in Exodus, I've never been shot down. Is it really that bad?
Prior to today, I'd never died on that section. For some reason, the Halo gods did not smile upon me for this playthrough, and on three attempts I died in the same manner.

(I suspect that Tough Luck increases the AI's tendency to use secondary weapons such as the Banshee bomb. I could be wrong, but that would explain the discrepancy.)

Instance 1:
30tjcat.jpg

Instance 2:
bdtuld.jpg

There's basically nothing you can do to survive those if they hit close enough to your character. Even if you survive, it'll kill your Marine, meaning that later on nobody is firing at the Banshees that are firing regular plasma rounds at you, and that's where I died again. I like the LASO runs a lot, because they force you to think differently, but here the deaths weren't my fault, they were just a chance occurrence. It was probably just luck that I had that problem, but I don't think that excuses it. It's bad design, and I expect more from the people that have avoided these issues since Halo 2's jackal snipers.

On another note, if anyone would be so kind as to render this, I'd be very grateful:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16711071&player=Havok CXVII

Here's the story: Right after the jetpack section, I was sitting waiting to pick off some Grunts, and the door behind me opens. Curious, I run in, but find it's nothing more than a closet. I turn around to exit, but the door closes before I get there, and it won't open. My coop partner was forced to do that section alone until the door decided to open up again once he had reached another checkpoint. It was super bizarre.

(edit: thanks to the renderer, whoever it was!)

Ramirez

KevinRo said:
Was that really necessary? This isn't a popularity contest, it's the freaking internet. SRS BSNS.

Jesus, stop shitting the thread up with GoW3 crap and this.

Maybe he'll look your number up and you guys can hang.

Shake Appeal said:
Did we need more reasons to find AlienShogun weird and annoying.
Kind of funny what for a background story Alienshogun has.(Damn I really thought a lot about this sentence , if it is grammar correct.)

Hypertrooper said:
Kind of funny what for a background story Alienshogun has.(Damn I really thought a lot about this sentence , if it is grammar correct.)
It's not correct, I think. :p I see the Dutch (and if I recall German) structure of "wat voor een/was fur ein° *noun*" in there. :lol

I think the correct version would be: "Kind of funny what kind of background story Alienshogun has". You're right, it's not an easy sentence, even for me. :p

°My German's a bit rusty, so I'm not sure that's even correct.

Ramirez said:
I figured you all might want to see this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27244105&postcount=2731

This guy is a total dickweed it would seem, watch yourselves!
Holy...wow.
Havok said:
Prior to today, I'd never died on that section. For some reason, the Halo gods did not smile upon me for this playthrough, and on three attempts I died in the same manner.

(I suspect that Tough Luck increases the AI's tendency to use secondary weapons such as the Banshee bomb. I could be wrong, but that would explain the discrepancy.)

Instance 1:
http://i53.tinypic.com/30tjcat.jpg[/IMG

Instance 2:
[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/bdtuld.jpg[/IM[/QUOTE]
That fucking sucks, man. I can't believe Bungie would set something up like that. Jeez.

Edit: Should I be worried? He doesn't like me.

Blue Ninja said:
It's not correct, I think. :p I see the Dutch (and if I recall German) structure of "wat voor een/was fur ein° *noun*" in there. :lol

I think the correct version would be: "Kind of funny what kind of background story Alienshogun has". You're right, it's not an easy sentence, even for me. :p

The Dutch is right and I think the German is too (my German isn't very good either) ;)

If anybody wants to play matchmaking or do the weekly, send me a PM and I will get online.

Karl2177

Ramirez said:
I figured you all might want to see this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27244105&postcount=2731

This guy is a total dickweed it would seem, watch yourselves!
Wow... just wow.

Does anyone know if the full LASO run must be online? My internet connection isn't the greatest and usually during FF and Campaign I get dropped from XBL. If I start on XBL, dc, then pop back before I finish will I still get the credits? My gut tells me no, but I just want to double check, if anyone knows.

Hey You

Karl2177 said:
Wow... just wow.

Does anyone know if the full LASO run must be online? My internet connection isn't the greatest and usually during FF and Campaign I get dropped from XBL. If I start on XBL, dc, then pop back before I finish will I still get the credits? My gut tells me no, but I just want to double check, if anyone knows.
Hmm, Good Question.

I would think that once you drop offline, it would say "Challenge Failed". But maybe as long as you connect before the game ends, it would count.

Tunavi

Banned
Can anyone help me with my Bungie All-Star submission?

I have 2 or 3 photos I would like to merge into a panorama, but I want to keep them at high resolution. We can go halvsies on the credit

Tha Robbertster said:
The Dutch is right and I think the German is too (my German isn't very good either) ;)
I know the Dutch is, as I'm Flemish myself. :lol

Tunavi said:
Can anyone help me with my Bungie All-Star submission?

I have 2 or 3 photos I would like to merge into a panorama, but I want to keep them at high resolution. We can go halvsies on the credit
Send 'em to me, I'll have it ready for you in no time.

Blue Ninja said:
I know the Dutch is, as I'm Flemish myself. :lol

Oow, that explains it. I always asumed that you weren't dutchspeaking so I was amazed that you were able to get it right :p

I was trying the LASO challange with a friend and he disconnected. I got till around the Beachhead part on my own but then I died :(

Blue Ninja said:

Yeah. The german is correct, too.

Sai-kun

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
EDWIi.gif

Self-respect, mothafuckas.

Oh, Tunavi, check your PM's. Panorama's are usually made from pictures that overlap eachother.

Nice GIF. Needs to be higher quality though.

This week's run took 2 friends and I about 90 minutes, which doesn't seem too bad. We really only got 'stuck' on two parts. Firstly was when you're waiting for the elevator. One of us would always get frakked over by a Brute who would do a 180 and kill you in one hit. Screw those guys.

Second part was just the stupid FRG Brute with the two turrets surrounding him. Luckily the turrets go down with one DMR shot each, and then we abused physics to send the brute flying off the ledge without killing him. It was funny as hell. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
Maybe he'll look your number up and you guys can hang.

Eh, you don't even know the context of what happened with that kid, and regardless that has nothing to do with what happened in the Gears thread.

The irony is that guy is pointing out something I did which requires looking into someone yet he did the exact same thing.

Ya'll ignore me if you want, it's no skin off my back, especially since none of you know the exact circumstances of what went on with that IGN fiasco.

Trasher

Alienshogun said:
Eh, you don't even know the context of what happened with that kid, and regardless that has nothing to do with what happened in the Gears thread.

The irony is that guy is pointing out something I did which requires looking into someone yet he did the exact same thing.

Ya'll ignore me if you want, it's no skin off my back, especially since none of you know the exact circumstances of what went on with that IGN fiasco.
So you both are crazy? Is that your point? lol

Top Bottom