• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Ramirez

Well it's good to hear that the TU is slated to ship way before CEA actually comes out. Think it will be a part of their first MM update in Sept.?

Devolution said:
Halo 2 was the original party chat.

Basically. I wasn't saying that it was really Halo's fault when I said that H2 was the last mainstream/causal popular Halo. Halo 2 did invent the party system, friends lists, online console shooter multiplayer games in general basically, so of course it created all the new competition and the user base is so much bigger now. It was just an observation that I believe Halo 2 to the last popular with the mainstream Halo game.
Although it's also the last good Halo MP game :p

From the Bulletin:
screenshot14.jpg

Don't tempt me like this 343!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ramirez said:
Well it's good to hear that the TU is slated to ship way before CEA actually comes out. Think it will be a part of their first MM update in Sept.?

My guess for the last few weeks has been October, or late September. (That's just my guess, nothing to back it up lol)

Ramirez said:
October wouldn't be a significant amount of time before release, but what do I know.

Depends on your definition of significant haha.

I hope it comes out earlier. With the September update would be great. It is just a guess.

Karl2177

Ramirez said:
October wouldn't be a significant amount of time before release, but what do I know.
Early October would probably be a good time. They could be like Bungie and Halo 3 and release it close to Reach's anniversary. Would a TU contain achievements with it?

FyreWulff

Ramirez said:
I don't know if it's true, but I read on here yesterday that CoD has 7 million unique users per day, that's insane.

I'm not trying to take anything away from CoD here, but when Activision quotes that number, they are quoting the population of every single online-capable Call of Duty.

Call of Duty (PC, Mac)
Call of Duty Classic (360, PS3)
Call of Duty 2 (PC, 360, Mac)
Call of Duty 3 (PS2, 360, PS3) (OXbox version no longer playable online)
Call of Duty 4 (Mac, PC, 360, PS3, Wii)
Call of Duty WaW (PC, 360, PS3, Wii)
Call of Duty MW2 (PC, 360, PS3)
Call of Duty Black Ops (PC, 360, PS3, Wii)

So yeah, they're counting 26 versions of Call of Duty into that number. They just might be slightly quoting certain statistics in a certain way to make them look really good.

Steelyuhas said:
My guess for the last few weeks has been October, or late September. (That's just my guess, nothing to back it up lol)

September, so they can spring the achievement "Vidmaster: Deja Annual: Complete The Pillar of Autumn on Legendary With All Skulls On And Without Stepping Foot Into Any Vehicle In Less Than An Hour"

Now I'm getting flashbacks of Deja Vu again

Tawpgun

Question about the HaloFest machinima contest directed at 343 or anyone who might be able to answer this for me.

I know that we can't use any copyrighted material unless its owned by the sponsor. The sponsor being Microsoft. Does this mean ALL Halo music is fair game? Like from the games, Legends, ect?

I finally settled on an idea and I'm doing it. But I always struggle with making music fit scenes. Certain Halo songs would be perfect though.

FyreWulff said:
I'm not trying to take anything away from CoD here, but when Activision quotes that number, they are quoting the population of every single online-capable Call of Duty.

Call of Duty (PC, Mac)
Call of Duty Classic (360, PS3)
Call of Duty 2 (PC, 360, Mac)
Call of Duty 3 (PS2, 360, PS3) (OXbox version no longer playable online)
Call of Duty 4 (Mac, PC, 360, PS3, Wii)
Call of Duty WaW (PC, 360, PS3, Wii)
Call of Duty MW2 (PC, 360, PS3)
Call of Duty Black Ops (PC, 360, PS3, Wii)

So yeah, they're counting 26 versions of Call of Duty into that number. They just might be slightly quoting certain statistics in a certain way to make them look really good.
I really doubt the ones besides MW2, MW1, and Black Ops have a hugely significant number though.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
From the Bulletin:
screenshot14.jpg

Don't tempt me like this 343!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's pretty clear now. :)

Also seems like idlers are going to be dealt with. Maybe you don't earn credits if you aren't doing in actions in the game, like it should have been.

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
I really doubt the ones besides MW2, MW1, and Black Ops have a hugely significant number though.

Even if we go down to those 3, that's still 16 versions of Call of Duty contributing to that number.

neoism

man another unreadable disc... I'm just about to buy this motherfucka again on DL... :(
I hope its not my reach system :((

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
Tinypic likes to troll with their .jpg extensions on everything, you need to save it as a .gif from there if you want to keep all frames. I'm not at home and on my cell right now btw, that's why I didn't post it myself.
Here (still can't get enough of this):
vlytI.gif

FyreWulff

neoism said:
man another unreadable disc... I'm just about to buy this motherfucka again on DL... :(
I hope its not my reach system :((

Are you installing it? If it keeps doing this, the HDD could be going bad. The unreadable disc error is Microsoft's catch all for bad data errors, even if they're caused by the hard drive.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to get home and listen to dat Sparkcast.

And buffed pistol, oh man, ohhhhh man, hell yes.

neoism

FyreWulff said:
Are you installing it? If it keeps doing this, the HDD could be going bad. The unreadable disc error is Microsoft's catch all for bad data errors, even if they're caused by the hard drive.
installed it the day I got it... I just deleted a bunch of stuff... hate to have to get a new HDD :/

So it's basically confirmed now that the Pistol will go through some changes. I hope they at least increase the clip size by 1. I always have to reload right after I strip an enemy's shield. It's frustrating!

Ramirez

The pistol pic is interesting, could the new maps actually have their own weapon sets? I can't imagine them buffing the pistol to a 3-4 shot kill across the entire game. /confused

^ Comic book I think Bobs...

FyreWulff

neoism said:
installed it the day I got it... I just deleted a bunch of stuff... hate to have to get a new HDD :/

You might be able to get away with just pulling the HDD out and plugging it back in. But yeah if it keeps doing that while installed the HDD is going bad.

Tawpgun

Syracuse022 said:
screenshot2011-07-27atk82i.png

Same as the ceiling glyph that was pointed out on HBO?
Looks like Adjudant Reflex logo.

Also, looks like that Rainbow Theory was either correct or good enough for 343 to implement :p

Ramirez said:
The pistol pic is interesting, could the new maps actually have their own weapon sets? I can't imagine them buffing the pistol to a 3-4 shot kill across the entire game. /confused

Thanks, should be interesting.

Also I really dont like how Karen Traviss seems to want to portray Halsey as a maniac, ill reserve judgment for the book, but I just dont trust anyone but Nylund with these characters. :(

Ramirez said:

Even if they just brought the Pistol back to its beta form, I think it would make a lot of us happy.

Couple more rounds in the clip would be amazing.

Side note, Reach didn't give me credit towards the weekly for the mission I played yesterday :/

lybertyboy said:
That's because we recorded it in a...wait for it...studio!

Sounds like crazy talk

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Dani said:
Yeah, the difference between the mic stick and the studio mic is night and day. Second part is without any audio issues. =)

bobs99 ... said:
Thanks, should be interesting.

Also I really dont like how Karen Traviss seems to want to portray Halsey as a maniac, ill reserve judgment for the book, but I just dont trust anyone but Nylund with these characters. :(

I don't think anyone said anything about portraying Halsey as a maniac, but rather as the morally detached and manipulative character she's always been.

I'm still reading through the latest draft of Glasslands. It's quite simply fantastic. There are a days that this job doesn't suck. It's pretty much ever day. :)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
On the CEA Reach maps,

Max Hoberman said:
I want to make sure each of these maps is about Armour Lock!

KuGsj.gif

Also, old maps are not 100% remakes, they have things like "corridors" that are blocked off in Classic but not normally. Beaver Creek has lifts in place of teleporters for example.

lybertyboy said:

I don't think anyone said anything about portraying Halsey as a maniac, but rather as the morally detached and manipulative character she's always been.

I'm still reading through the latest draft of Glasslands. It's quite simply fantastic. There are a days that this job doesn't suck. It's pretty much ever day. :)

When I said maniac I was exaggerating, but Karen Traviss does seem to take her much further down the scale of manipulator than she has been in the past. In the other books she has been portrayed as someone who knows her actions are wrong, but for a nessicary evil. I just hope this dynamic isnt replaced with a Halsey who loves to experiment and doesn't seem to care too much about the cost. I always got the impression she regretted the stuff she had to do, but Karen Traviss seems to describe her as being colder.

Im going to withhold judgement until I read what she does with Halsey of course, maybe im just being too knee jerk in my reaction.

Striker

A Pistol buff would be nice. Hopefully deal away much of the constant DMR starts everywhere. All they needed to do from the beta to the final was to increase the opacity of the reticle. Mmph.

Dax01 said:
People met up in Halo 2 to discuss what other games they were going to play.
Is that what people did when they hopped on Halo 2?

[playing Halo 2] "Say Frank, are you getting on Crimson Skies later tonight?"

The statement was how people have left because of Reach, or started playing because of Reach after not enjoying Halo 3, ODST, or whatnot. We were discussing friends we have played with during the Halo games and I've mentioned how all of mine have tailed off as Halo 3 was starting, because quite frankly I didn't think they enjoyed where the series was going. They ventured off into other shooter' series. Not a big deal to me as I don't enjoy their same taste. As for the rest, Call of Duty 2 released, as did Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon. All three quite different than Halo, but only one surfaced to a much higher success than what it began on in the 360. The userbase has gotten larger because the games of the series have gotten better. Same for the Battlefield series, which was rather meh with Battlefield 2, but Bad Company took that series to another whole level. The Halo series, in its sales comparison, has been fairly stagnant since. It hasn't necessarily dropped many, but it hasn't also brought in tons more like the others have had.

Hoping Frank and 343 can revitalize the series, like those other games did.

As for the CoD-Halo population comparisons, which I've seen far too much of. People talk on and on about Halo 3's spot in the Major Nelson Activity chart, when in fact it had no competition until Modern Warfare hit, and that is when the plates began to change. Reach's current population is basically on par to what Halo 3 has been doing, save for whatever hundred or so. All I read is "nobody playz dis gaime nemoer lolz".

Ramirez

Dani said:
On the CEA Reach maps,

KuGsj.gif

Also, old maps are not 100% remakes, they have things like "corridors" that are blocked off in Classic but not normally. Beaver Creek has lifts in place of teleporters for example.

wat

Dani said:
On the CEA Reach maps,

KuGsj.gif

WHAT?

Havok

Dani said:
Beaver Creek has lifts in place of teleporters for example.

...why would they...

Sigh. If it's something toggleable, okay I guess, but if that's the only way to play it then they've lost me.

Dani said:
55:21

New maps will have two versions.

Standard - slightly updated in some ways
Classic - trying to replicate the older maps more accurately

Beaver Creek - Teleporters replaced by lifts. Separate teleporter room built into the rock wall. These changes would be present in the Standard version of the map but not in Classic.
I feel much better about this now. Thanks for the clarification, I won't have time to listen until tomorrow :/

Ramirez

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the teleports were used as a way to get to the other base quickly, what good would a lift do other than lift you on top of your base, when there were already 2-3 ways up there anyways. /confused again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Beaver Creek - Teleporters replaced by lifts. Separate teleporter room built into the rock wall. These changes would be present in the Standard version of the map but not in Classic.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
How could physically work?

There could be an underground under the bases that you cannon over (imagine a big ravine)

If the lifts send you upwards, it's possible that they send you up to the cliffsides to a landing.

The only other way I can think of (up and over the base to the other base) is way too exploitable as you'd be able to easily drop the flag into the base as you're flying over it..

kylej

Banned
Dani said:

Shades of Bungie. Scary. I have faith in Frankie, though.

Woorloog

Banned
What about the Covie weapons? Those are more or less underpowered, with some exceptions: Plasma Pistol (while faster charge up and stronger standard bolts would be nice, it fills it's niche well enough) and Needler (considering it's highly specific range, uses too much ammo), and Focus Rifle which is fine (Assist Rifle, works as it should, Assists not being as easy to get as they should be... ridiculous assist rules in Reach..)
I wonder how the pistol will be buffed (if it's being buffed, not just changed). Slightly more accuracy or 4-shot kill would be nice either, though having both would be even better...

Top Bottom