• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

FyreWulff said:
Gamespot and GameFAQs forums are one and the same.

If you post in the forum for a game on Gamespot it shows up on GameFAQs too. It's not a well known 'thing' because hardly anyone remembers that Gamespot actually bought GameFAQs..

The vast majority of posts you're seeing on GameFAQs were posted from the Gamespot website.

Yeah I know bro.

Kibbles

. It turns out that I love any and all video game water. I also have a mania for expecting that there should be a rocket launcher, or other treasure, hidden behind every waterfall, and I continue to be disappointed in this realm
That reminds me, my very first playthrough of Halo 1 I went straight to the waterfall at the beginning expecting to be amazed by what would lie behind the waterfall. As I have learned from games in the past such as Starfox 64 and MarioKart 64, there's always some hidden awesomeness behind the waterfall. Alas, that wasn't the case.

Hearing that piece from "Halo Wars" between segments made me dig into the OST again.

Stephen Rippy is simply amazing. <3.

And I may have landed an internship today. :^)

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't know why anyone would ever complain, this Beaver Creek news is fantastic.

I was worried the remake maps would be hindered by the need to cater to both vanilla Reach/AA gameplay and Classic gameplay.

It sounds like they made the perfect choice and decided to just use Forge to make it into 2 different maps from the start.

The new grav lift sounds great. How else would we get on top of the base with Reach's painfully low jump height? This way they can still keep most of the old jumps in the Classic version of the map.

Maybe the low bridge on Damnation is only continuous in the vanilla Reach versions to accommodate Sprint (something someone was complaining about on HBO).

I mean I don't think that the life on Beaver Creek will be bad, I was just ranting and raving earlier because I have pretty bad memories of Bungie making remakes of maps "better" because they are always worse. Halo 2 made the Halo 1 maps better, but since then it has been a nightmare. I hope that 343 does these changes right, but it just makes me nervous when they change classic maps because we have such poor experiences with changing remade maps recently.

MrBig said:
You still on Tawpgun? If not I'll just go watch Game of Thrones
Trust me, watching Game of Thrones is much better than playing Reach with Tawpgun.

<3 you Tawpgun, but seriously Game of Thrones is better

Listening to the Sparkcast right now. They were talking about an unannounced small-mid sized map that they all seemed to be pretty excited about. Any guesses?

MrBig said:
Undeniable.

I just want the series to last as long as possible and I'm only on ep3.

It's amazing. I watched it as it was airing week to week. I felt like I lost ten years off my life by the end of the season lol. So amazing, stressful, rage-inducing. Then once the season was over, I starting have a panic attack about how I was going to survive until the second season next spring, so I quickly bought a box set of the first four books and I'm already half way through the third book.

Steelyuhas said:
Listening to the Sparkcast right now. They were talking about an unannounced small-mid sized map that they all seemed to be pretty excited about. Any guesses?

When you say small map remake my mind immediately jumps to Turf. That one seems like it would work well in Classic but also allow for some interesting AA play (and room for expansion with Forge).

I haven't listened to the Sparkast yet though, saving it for my morning commute (typically 40 minutes. I'll finish it during work.)

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
You said it, not me. :)

Wait so you are saying there are only 3 maps just with 4 versions? NOOOOO

Just kidding

FyreWulff said:
This is my best guess at what they mean:

JM5qT.jpg

I think the teleporter in the cliff wall will probably be higher up. That's just the feeling I get with them mentioning the jetpacks. They will want to make it interesting for you to get up to it. At the same time it will make it riskier. That's my thought on it. I actually toyed around with a similar idea way back when I was trying to create a forge map.

ncsuDuncan said:
When you say small map remake my mind immediately jumps to Turf. That one seems like it would work well in Classic but also allow for some interesting AA play (and room for expansion with Forge).

I haven't listened to the Sparkast yet though, saving it for my morning commute (typically 40 minutes. I'll finish it during work.)

Hmmm I don't think of Turf as a 'classic' map. For the record, I love Turf, but I don't think the general consensus of it is that its a classic map. Not sure if that really impacts its chances as the Halo 2 map for CEA though.

My immediate thought when I heard them talking about it was Midship, but I really think that Midship would be pretty dreadful in Reach's base gameplay. Sprint arguably breaks the map although and with the unlimited range of the DMR, the map is just too small for Reach IMO. Of course it would probably be cash in the classic modes though.

PsychoRaven said:
I think the teleporter in the cliff wall will probably be higher up. That's just the feeling I get with them mentioning the jetpacks. They will want to make it interesting for you to get up to it. That's my thought on it. I actually toyed around with a similar idea way back when I was trying to create a forge map.
Sounded like they were definitely joking when they were talking about needing jetpack to get to the teleporter. I think Fyrewulff has it right with his guess personally.

Oh my I just agreed with Fyrewulff on something :p

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Hmmm I don't think of Turf as a 'classic' map. For the record, I love Turf, but I don't think the general consensus of it is that its a classic map. Not sure if that really impacts its chances as the Halo 2 map for CEA though.

My immediate thought when I heard them talking about it was Midship, but I really think that Midship would be pretty dreadful in Reach's base gameplay. Sprint arguably breaks the map although and with the unlimited range of the DMR, the map is just too small for Reach IMO. Of course it would probably be cash in the classic modes though.

Sounded like they were definitely joking when they were talking about needing jetpack to get to the teleporter. I think Fyrewulff has it right with his guess personally.

Oh my I just agreed with Fyrewulff on something :p

We shall see. I think that if it's higher up they'll supply a way to it without jetpacks. Also I doubt it would be that high. I could see being able to jump to it from the top of the back of the base. Either way it won't bother me cause I'll be in Classic++.

Butane123

Steelyuhas said:
Three Plots on Turf was the classic gametype from Halo 2.

People can say what they will about Headlong, but it was all really Turf.... and three plots.

MrBig

The only thing Turf was good for is Warthog shenanigans and Tremors.
Letters said:
eww

Well the "small" description ruled out Headlong so I really don't care what it is. Never been a fan of CQC and the like.

Butane123 said:
Three Plots on Turf was the classic gametype from Halo 2.

People can say what they will about Headlong, but it was all really Turf.... and three plots.

3 Plots on that map is amazing, I was just sharing what the thought to be the perception of that map, not even sure if that affects its status in CEA.

MrBig said:
The only thing Turf was good for is Warthog shenanigans and Tremors.
We are no longer Bungie conquering brethren.
MrBig said:
Well the "small" description ruled out Headlong so I really don't care what it is. Never been a fan of CQC and the like.

They never said the small map they were talking about was from H2.

Steelyuhas said:
It's amazing. I watched it as it was airing week to week. I felt like I lost ten years off my life by the end of the season lol. So amazing, stressful, rage-inducing. Then once the season was over, I starting have a panic attack about how I was going to survive until the second season next spring, so I quickly bought a box set of the first four books and I'm already half way through the third book.
What the shit. Were you guys watching the same show I watched? I'm not really into the books (read half of the first book) and my wife is a massive fan of the books - we were both 'meh' on the show. Granted they did some things quite well (Ned, tyrion, Jon, whitewalker) - however the rest of it was pretty mediocre, the fights, exposition scenes, horribly awkward nudity/sex - it was a massive letdown.

Put me down for 'rather play bloom-spam-grenade-doublepummel-bansheebomb-lolmatchmaking-armorlock-ridden Halo' than sit through Game of Thrones. I'm hoping the next season is better as the show does have some promise.

Stripper13 said:
What the shit. Were you guys watching the same show I watched? I'm not really into the books (read half of the first book) and my wife is a massive fan of the books - we were both 'meh' on the show. Granted they did some things quite well (Ned, tyrion, Jon, whitewalker) - however the rest of it was pretty mediocre, the fights, exposition scenes, horribly awkward nudity/sex - it was a massive letdown.

Put me down for 'rather play bloom-spam-grenade-doublepummel-bansheebomb-lolmatchmaking-armorlock-ridden Halo' than sit through Game of Thrones. I'm hoping the next season is better as the show does have some promise.

I'm going to firmly put you in the extreme minority there haha. I haven't met a single person that didn't like the show.

Ramirez

Stripper13 said:

Like I said earlier today, ITT, people who have no taste.

Just listened to the podcast, it has me so hyped. I cant wait for Glasslands. Seems like it will really go a lot of different places.

Also, the music reminded me.. I want Halo Wars 2. Just tie Kinect to it and MS will green-light it for sure! But seriously, I could see that working.

That just led me to another thought. Will we ever see a Halo film? Its still so disappointing that that it fell through. I think District 9 proves it would have been very compelling.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Guys... something strange happened.

I needed to brave BTB alone for some multiplayer footage for my machinima.... So I went in alone....

and I had fun.

Not to say BTB still isn't fucked up. I mean just because I had fun, doesn't mean everyone did.

And this last second, and by that I mean <10 seconds in sudden death flag cap was pretty good.
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=725893834&player=Tawpgun
Might make a clip out of that cap later.

Halo 4 needs to remove that cross mapping DMR shit. Got cross mapped off my mongoose when I was past halfway to my base. And the vehicle health model needs to go.

Put some nice weapon control flow and balance and you have yourself some good BTB.

The mongoose (since it's so harmless anyway) in the next game (if its even in there) should have camo and armorlock functions. It would be awesome.

Devolution said:
The mongoose (since it's so harmless anyway) in the next game (if its even in there) should have camo and armorlock functions. It would be awesome.

It would be a laugh, I personally think being able to give it Mario Kart style boosts with the jetpack would be hilarious. That said I hope AA's are removed in Halo 4, if armour lock still exists I will rage, even if you could use it on a mongoose lol.

The Real Napsta said:
I realized today that I have two friends that have switched from CoD to Halo.

They switched because of Halo Reach. I tried to get them to play Halo 3 back in the day all the time. They would play a couple rounds and go back to CoD4/Mw2

How could the worst Halo game make them switch? I know there are probably other factors but I still find it at least a little strange.
Anyone else have a similar story?

Yep, I noticed the same trend, friends that didnt really like Halo in the past do like Reach. The problem is that friends who did like Halo in the past who have been turned off by Reach. I know thats just my small circle of friends, but I think its a sad state of affairs and speaks volumes about the gameplay when the game appeals more to non Halo fans lol. Again ancedotal evidence and all that, its just what I observe and the conclusions I personally draw from them, I know its not a universal thing.

Letters said:
Perfect (and fantastic).

Sparkcast's best episode yet (or rather the first one that I truly enjoyed).
Turned me from a Traviss skeptic to watching Amazon like a hawk for Glasslands. Her personality on panels doesn't come across well, seemed much more comfortable and happy talking to David & Frankie in private.
Of course it's the book in the end that'll matter and I am now very much looking forward to it.

Roll on HaloFest!

Steelyuhas said:
I'm going to firmly put you in the extreme minority there haha. I haven't met a single person that didn't like the show.
I've never yelled at a book before I read the Song of Ice and Fire series. Absolutely loved the book, and I really enjoyed the show. Never thought I'd like Dany and Khal Drogo's story, but the show managed that in spades for me.

Just finishing up the podcast, and I have to say that listening to Karen Traviss' thought process on storytelling makes me very interested in the book. Am I going to be lost if I haven't read anything else other than The Fall of Reach (that I didn't particularly care for)?

Ramirez said:
People don't have to like the things you like to have taste.

GhaleonEB said:
Two, once CEA releases. Unearthed from the Defiant pack, plus one from CEA.

Reach will have had 13 maps, which ties Halo 3, with 11 of them MP (and one of those Invasion) and two Firefight.
Reach also started with 2 fewer unique maps, though. So really, Reach will have 4 less MP maps than 3.

Amazon.com posted the summary of Primordium today:
A long time ago, I was a living, breathing human being. I went mad. I served my enemies. They became my only friends.

Since then, I’ve traveled back and forth across this galaxy, and out to the spaces between galaxies--a greater reach than any human before me.

You have asked me to tell you about that time. Since you are the last true Reclaimer, I must obey. Are you recording? Good. Because my memory is failing rapidly. I doubt I’ll be able to finish the story.

Once, on my birth-world, a world I knew as Erde-Tyrene, and which now is called Earth, my name was Chakas...

In the wake of apparent self-destruction of the Forerunner empire, two humans--Chakas and Riser--are like flotsam washed up on very strange shores indeed.

Captured by the Master Builder, misplaced during a furious battle in space, they now find themselves on an inverted world where horizons rise into the sky, and where humans of all kinds are trapped in a perilous cycle of horror and neglect. For they have become both research animals and strategic pawns in a cosmic game whose madness knows no end--a game of ancient vengeance between the powers who seeded the galaxy with life, and the Forerunners who expect to inherit their sacred Mantle of duty to all living things.

In the company of a young girl and an old man, Chakas begins an epic journey across a lost and damaged Halo in search of a way home, an explanation for the warrior spirits rising up within, and for the Librarian’s tampering with human destiny.

This journey will take them into the Palace of Pain, the domain of a powerful and monstrous intelligence who claims to be the Last Precursor, and who now has control of both this Halo and the fate of Forerunners and Humans alike.

Called the Captive by Forerunners, and the Primordial by ancient human warriors, this intelligence has taken charge of, and retasked, the Master Builder’s cruel researches into the Flood--which it may have itself unleashed on the galaxy more than ten thousand years before.

Credit goes to a HBO user.

Tawpgun

Hypertrooper said:
A long time ago, I was a living, breathing human being. I went mad. I served my enemies. They became my only friends.

Since then, I’ve traveled back and forth across this galaxy, and out to the spaces between galaxies--a greater reach than any human before me.

You have asked me to tell you about that time. Since you are the last true Reclaimer, I must obey. Are you recording? Good. Because my memory is failing rapidly. I doubt I’ll be able to finish the story.

Once, on my birth-world, a world I knew as Erde-Tyrene, and which now is called Earth, my name was Chakas...

In the wake of apparent self-destruction of the Forerunner empire, two humans--Chakas and Riser--are like flotsam washed up on very strange shores indeed.

Captured by the Master Builder, misplaced during a furious battle in space, they now find themselves on an inverted world where horizons rise into the sky, and where humans of all kinds are trapped in a perilous cycle of horror and neglect. For they have become both research animals and strategic pawns in a cosmic game whose madness knows no end--a game of ancient vengeance between the powers who seeded the galaxy with life, and the Forerunners who expect to inherit their sacred Mantle of duty to all living things.

In the company of a young girl and an old man, Chakas begins an epic journey across a lost and damaged Halo in search of a way home, an explanation for the warrior spirits rising up within, and for the Librarian’s tampering with human destiny.

This journey will take them into the Palace of Pain, the domain of a powerful and monstrous intelligence who claims to be the Last Precursor, and who now has control of both this Halo and the fate of Forerunners and Humans alike.

Called the Captive by Forerunners, and the Primordial by ancient human warriors, this intelligence has taken charge of, and retasked, the Master Builder’s cruel researches into the Flood--which it may have itself unleashed on the galaxy more than ten thousand years before.

That... Sounds amazing.

Question about Cryptum for those who read it.
Most forerunners were wiped out when a halo was activated near the forerunner homeworld right? Cryptum added new stuff to the forerunner story which before had only been a legend. So the actual lighting of all Halos to stop the flood, the event described in the terminals... Hasn't happened yet.

PooBone

Listening to the Sparkast now. Only 20 minutes in but LOTS of good Glasslands info. I love Karen Traviss. Pretty excited to read this book.

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:

Awesome.

Plywood said:
Halo 4, dedicated servers.

Frankie save us.
What difference would dedicated servers make? Are you talking about company-hosted dedicated servers or user-hosted? Providing company-hosted dedicated servers for a Halo game would be a massive undertaking and the only presumable benefits would be a removal of host advantage (which has been minimized through game design already, and players who ping lower to the server would still have the same advantages) and a reduction/elimination of host migration (which depends on the reliability of the servers). Please elaborate.

HiredN00bs said:
What difference would dedicated servers make? Are you talking about company-hosted dedicated servers or user-hosted? Providing company-hosted dedicated servers for a Halo game would be a massive undertaking and the only presumable benefits would be a removal of host advantage (which has been minimized through game design already, and players who ping lower to the server would still have the same advantages) and a reduction/elimination of host migration (which depends on the reliability of the servers). Please elaborate.

As a player from the UK dedicated servers sometimes feel like they can be worse than peer to peer matchmaking. Its also a pretty expensive undertaking to have them. Maybe im off the mark and they do add value, but personally I dont get what the fuss is about? Localized servers are a ton better but even then there is still a huge difference in ping.

Also Halo Primordium sounds amazing,
are we going to swap characters? :O I wonder how Born/ Didact will come across from the 3rd person.

That xbl chart thing seems weird, it lists black ops as my most played game and yet my single player gametime dwarfs my multiplayer time. I have been playing a lot of single player but the amount its dwarfing multiplayer is crazy high.

A27 Tawpgun said:
That... Sounds amazing.

Question about Cryptum for those who read it.
Most forerunners were wiped out when a halo was activated near the forerunner homeworld right? Cryptum added new stuff to the forerunner story which before had only been a legend. So the actual lighting of all Halos to stop the flood, the event described in the terminals... Hasn't happened yet.

I think so, reading the Halo 3 terminals again sure makes it seem that way. We still dont know too much about what the Didact planned with the shield worlds and why they went wrong. From what I understand we have about 300 years before the Flood Forerunner finale when the rings where fired, which is a huge amount of time to cover in just 2 books.

Steelyuhas said:
Ramirez said:

Eh, maybe - I've yet to meet someone personally who thought the show was anything more than 'okay'. Even the most die-hard fans I know (ordering replica swords off the Internet die-hard) have expressed disappoint for the most part.

Don't get me wrong - it's better than pretty much anything else I've watched recently on television, but I don't feel it did anything amazing outside of capturing the essence of a few outstanding character/actor's.

bobs99 ... said:
That xbl chart thing seems weird, it lists black ops as my most played game and yet my single player gametime dwarfs my multiplayer time. I have been playing a lot of single player but the amount its dwarfing multiplayer is crazy high.
I agree, something is fishy. I play almost no Single Player and yet my chart is the same.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
For consistency mainly.

Halo is a bigger game but i think if Gears 3 can do it, Halo can pull it off.

Or they could have only certain playlists support dedi servers. Like all ranked and things like BTB.

Schmitty

What buff would you guys rather have for the pistol if you could only have one, not both -- mag increase or damage increase?

FyreWulff

I've always been of the opinion that if a console Halo ever does dedicated servers, you should be able to send your box into matchmaking as a dedicated server, and you earn EXP/whatever for consistently hosting games.

None of that BS with Battlefield/Section 8 though where they're all MS hosted or you can only rent them from a provider. I want to be able to set my Xbox to playlist mode and it rotates through gametypes for anybody that joins me via a the friends list (this functionality was cut from Halo 2 Xbox).

They wouldn't solve client to client networking issues, all they'd really do is add a tad more consistency to the host decisions. I'd be more interested in the "running a personal playlist" attribute.

Top Bottom