• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Ramirez said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the teleports were used as a way to get to the other base quickly, what good would a lift do other than lift you on top of your base, when there were already 2-3 ways up there anyways. /confused again.

There are two versions of Beaver Creek. The updated version has lifts at the back of each base AS WELL AS a separate teleporter room built into the rock face. The classic version still has teleporters attached to the back of each base.

lybertyboy said:
There are two versions of Beaver Creek. The updated version has lifts at the back of each base AS WELL AS a separate teleporter room built into the rock face. The classic version still has teleporters attached to the back of each base.

Does the lift just get you onto the roof of the base?

Tawpgun

Dani said:
55:21

New maps will have two versions.

Standard - slightly updated in some ways
Classic - trying to replicate the older maps more accurately

Beaver Creek - Teleporters replaced by lifts. Separate teleporter room built into the rock wall. These changes would be present in the Standard version of the map but not in Classic.

I suppose that's not too bad then. Hopefully standard plays decent. They changed Sanctuary very slightly and made it play worse for Reach.

Ramirez

lybertyboy said:

Oh, so you're actually shipping 12 new MP maps. :p ;)

Tunavi

Banned
Original maps along with different variants? I like this a lot.

This will really spice things up a bit, mixing up how maps play out is great

Have you guys thought about releasing new variants of Reach maps in the title update? I realized Countdown's doors in the campaign space are MUCH wider, would be cool to see this in multiplayer. Would probably result in much less camping.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
Original maps along with different variants? I like this a lot.

This will really spice things up a bit, mixing up how maps play out is great
Has me hoping for a day/night variant of the Firefight map.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the teleports were used as a way to get to the other base quickly, what good would a lift do other than lift you on top of your base, when there were already 2-3 ways up there anyways. /confused again.
Those teleporters were great for CTF as well. Not sure if want.

A27 Tawpgun said:
They changed Sanctuary very slightly and made it play worse for Reach.
I still am in the group who isn't going to think five years later and say "Hey, remember that great remake of Sanctuary we had in Reach?" Because a remake of an older map in a new game is something not constructed in Forge. People got upset by my thinking of this, so blah.

Striker said:
Those teleporters were great for CTF as well. Not sure if want.

Definitely do not want, but it seems like its Halo law now that if you remake a classic map you have to change it. :/

Striker said:
I still am in the group who isn't going to think five years later and say "Hey, remember that great remake of Sanctuary we had in Reach?" Because a remake of an older map in a new game is something not constructed in Forge. People got upset by my thinking of this, so blah.

I don't think anyone calls Asylum Sanctuary because its no remake of Sanctuary. It's some odd form of a bastard child that forgot the important parts of the map.

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
They changed Sanctuary very slightly and made it play worse for Reach.
If they had the exact same remake of Sanctuary in matchmaking, I don't think we'd be complaining. We just wouldn't vote for asylum.
and I don't vote for asylum

MrBig

Even if Asylum does play terribly, if they are intent in retaining Sanctuary in Reach they need to put in a version that actually holds a decent framerate across the board.

I'll be going on my xbox in a bit, would anyone like to start a MM party?

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Definitely do not want, but it seems like its Halo law now that if you remake a classic map you have to change it. :/
The changes they made from Halo 1>2 were fantastic, and had gameplay going faster and much more versatile in games, including CTF, Assault, and so forth. Then we had horrific changes to Lockout and Zanzibar in Halo 3 and it faltered. The remake of Midship which changed nothing is much better than trying to change it too much.

feel

Yes, let's go crazy about Beaver Creek not being faithful in the jetpack shitfest playlists. The maps will be how they used to be in the Classic+ playlists and that's all that matters to me.

Striker said:
The changes they made from Halo 1>2 were fantastic, and had gameplay going faster and much more versatile in games, including CTF, Assault, and so forth. Then we had horrific changes to Lockout and Zanzibar in Halo 3 and it faltered. The remake of Midship which changed nothing is much better than trying to change it too much.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

Letters said:
Yes, let's go crazy about Beaver Creek not being faithful in the jetpack shitfest playlists. The maps will be how they used to be in the Classic+ playlists and that's all that matters to me.

Is it too much to ask for them not to be fucked with in normal Reach playlists as well? Beaver Creek instantly become the best map in the base Reach gameplay, even with jetpack.

Ramirez

I won't condemn the changes they do until I play them, it only struck me as odd at first because of how they've been beating the "classic" drum a lot. This was before I knew there would be two versions of all the maps though. :p

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Which is probably the right approach. I don't think you can change the sandbox as much as Reach did and drop remake maps into it and have them work. If they're reworking them to play nicer with Reach while also keeping them faithful in the classic playlists....good stuff. I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast (that's late tonight) but it sure sounds like a great approach.

FyreWulff

This is my best guess at what they mean:

JM5qT.jpg

feel

Steelyuhas said:
Is it too much to ask for them not to be fucked with in normal Reach playlists as well? Beaver Creek instantly become the best map in the base Reach gameplay, even with jetpack.
THE GAMETYPE HAS JETPACK
*nicolas_cage_being_flown_to_a_rooftop_by_his_eagle_hair.jpg*
YOUR MAP DESIGN ARGUMENT IS INVALID

:p

GhaleonEB said:
Which is probably the right approach. I don't think you can change the sandbox as much as Reach did and drop remake maps into it and have them work. If they're reworking them to play nicer with Reach while also keeping them faithful in the classic playlists....good stuff. I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast (that's late tonight) but it sure sounds like a great approach.

I think the best way to handle remakes when a sandbox change occurs is to re imagine the map instead of replicate it.

Like Guardian.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
I think the best way to handle remakes when a sandbox change occurs is to re imagine the map instead of replicate it.

Like Guardian.
I agree with you, and have said so before. But given that we're getting remakes, this sounds like the right way integrate them into classic vs. Reach playlists.

I'd much rather have six new maps; it's a shame that half the Reach DLC is going to be remakes.

GhaleonEB said:
I agree with you, and have said so before. But given that we're getting remakes, this sounds like the right way integrate them into classic vs. Reach playlists.

I'd much rather have six new maps; it's a shame that half the Reach DLC is going to be remakes.
There are no news about, that the Anniversay Mappack is the last DLC for Reach. Maybe we will get another one. But I think this won't come, because Halo 4 is only a year away.

GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, I feel like the creativity in Reach Maps fell flat for some reason, even though they had a ton of artist o_O

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't want crap like Last Resort.

Only shame about Reach DLC is that FF maps ended up taking some slots from multiplayer maps and that one of the maps ended up being an invasion map. Also, AR starts on Highlands... Wtf... People should have never bitched about the original weapon layout.

Tunavi

Banned
Firefight maps should not be DLC. If I had the choice, I wouldn't have paid for Unearthed. I really wish we had a 3rd map to go with Condemned and Highlands. I'm frustrated that the seventh map of CEA is a FF map.

Kuroyume said:

Only shame about Reach DLC is that FF maps ended up taking some slots from multiplayer maps and that one of the maps ended up being an invasion map. Also, AR starts on Highlands... Wtf... People should have never bitched about the original weapon layout.
1 slot.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
Two, once CEA releases. Unearthed from the Defiant pack, plus one from CEA.

Reach will have had 13 maps, which ties Halo 3, with 11 of them MP (and one of those Invasion) and two Firefight.

Devolution said:
Original was sent to Evilore already, I just gotta PM this one unless anyone has something to add:

3GlGZ.png
This is a very good shirt.

Letters said:
THE GAMETYPE HAS JETPACK
*nicolas_cage_being_flown_to_a_rooftop_by_his_eagle_hair.jpg*
YOUR MAP DESIGN ARGUMENT IS INVALID

:p
I pray that at least one playlist governs the loadouts to fit the type of map and gametype. Jetpacks are fun, but they obviously don't belong on a map like Beaver Creek.

Homeboyd

Tunavi said:
Firefight maps should not be DLC. If I had the choice, I wouldn't have paid for Unearthed. I really wish we had a 3rd map to go with Condemned and Highlands. I'm frustrated that the seventh map of CEA is a FF map.
I can't argue with wanting more MP maps.. I'd throw money at them all day long.

But Unearthed is by far my favorite FF map. Even with the rocket hog (I never use it).

Highlands and Unearthed... favorite maps so far.

Kuroyume

Banned
I need to play Unearthed. I've had the pack since it came out but I never feel like playing FF. All that Gruntpocalypse cR grinding in those early days killed it for me. LOL

Trasher

lybertyboy said:
They will be separated into different playlists then right? Is it fair to assume this?

Havok

Kuroyume said:
This was the exact example I was going to use to warn about how terribly 'reimaginings' can turn out. Guardian was okay (after the removal of Maulers), but both it and Blackout were just the faintest shadows of Lockout.

Reimaginings are fine if the changes are smart, but that hasn't been the case with a lot of them. It seems like the Beaver Creek changes are smart enough to work well - my worry was that there wasn't a second version, which would kind of sour the whole idea of there being an avenue to play those the way they used to be.

I don't know why anyone would ever complain, this Beaver Creek news is fantastic.

I was worried the remake maps would be hindered by the need to cater to both vanilla Reach/AA gameplay and Classic gameplay.

It sounds like they made the perfect choice and decided to just use Forge to make it into 2 different maps from the start.

The new grav lift sounds great. How else would we get on top of the base with Reach's painfully low jump height? This way they can still keep most of the old jumps in the Classic version of the map.

Maybe the low bridge on Damnation is only continuous in the vanilla Reach versions to accommodate Sprint (something someone was complaining about on HBO).

Risen

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't know why anyone would ever complain, this Beaver Creek news is fantastic.

I was worried the remake maps would be hindered by the need to cater to both vanilla Reach/AA gameplay and Classic gameplay.

It sounds like they made the perfect choice and decided to just use Forge to make it into 2 different maps from the start.

The new grav lift sounds great. How else would we get on top of the base with Reach's painfully low jump height? This way they can still keep most of the old jumps in the Classic version of the map.

Maybe the low bridge on Damnation is only continuous in the vanilla Reach versions to accommodate Sprint (something someone was complaining about on HBO).

Are the maps going to be made in Forge World, but with new forge objects specific to each map?

Orrrrrr are these complete new maps designed around original geometry?

Sorry if this is noted elsewhere... I may have missed...

Homeboyd

Risen said:
Are the maps going to be made in Forge World, but with new forge objects specific to each map?

B

Risen said:

I'm just guessing.

But it seems pretty likely there are just going to be multiple Forge variants of the 6 maps. Kind of like Condemned and Uplink.

(And I know you meant Forge and not Forge World, because that map has absolutely no business being in CEA.)

Homeboyd

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm just guessing.

But it seems pretty likely there are just going to be multiple Forge variants of the 6 maps. Kind of like Condemned and Uplink.

(And I know you meant Forge and not Forge World, because that map has absolutely no business being in CEA.)
Yeah that's what I meant as well. Forge variants of brand new maps. Not just forge remakes from the current forge.

Tawpgun

Guys... something strange happened.

I needed to brave BTB alone for some multiplayer footage for my machinima.... So I went in alone....

and I had fun.

Not to say BTB still isn't fucked up. I mean just because I had fun, doesn't mean everyone did.

And this last second, and by that I mean <10 seconds in sudden death flag cap was pretty good.
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=725893834&player=Tawpgun
Might make a clip out of that cap later.

Halo 4 needs to remove that cross mapping DMR shit. Got cross mapped off my mongoose when I was past halfway to my base. And the vehicle health model needs to go.

Put some nice weapon control flow and balance and you have yourself some good BTB.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Put some nice weapon control flow and balance and you have yourself some good BTB.
This.

Also, fix the vehicle physics. I know this has been stressed a lot, but not enough. Vehicles are way too floaty in Reach!

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
You still on Tawpgun? If not I'll just go watch Game of Thrones
Nah I got off. Got some good footage hopefully.

And yup. That Tank on Boneyard vs BKs. Gotta love it. And then DMRing all the fools who run around with the AR and just rush the cap point without noticing I'm to the side pooping on them.

Top Bottom