• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How far does accessibility take you though? Basic mechanics and firing of a weapon? I'm not saying let expert design the game, let them balance it. I'm just saying for exploits and game balance, go with the expert players. Expert players have a better knowledge of the subtle things in Halo. The little things that make a large difference. Fine tuning.

And I was talking about MLG gametypes. BTB though is a whole other beast lol.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Why not? It seems to always take high level players to turn stock Halo into a great game through specific map and gametype changes.
There are key aspects of the Halo experience the high level MLG kids are completely clueless about, considering most of them only think about winning and dominating, and miss out big time in some much other fun stuff. A mix of experts, high and mid level players would be ideal.

Recarpo said:
I apologize if this was already covered and I missed it, but what exactly does the 85% bloom mean? Does the bloom "bloom" out slower or retract slower or what does the sliding percentage actually effect?
I only know it still seems almost equally awful to what we have now..

unrelated:

Baghdad Jessica

2prwsgp.jpg

Booshka

Tashi0106 said:
Why not? It seems to always take high level players to turn stock Halo into a great game through specific map and gametype changes.
Halo 4 needs Michael "eXt" Tea on the test team. Dude was such a good tester at Shadowrun that Walshy and Ogre 2 picked him up for their Shadowrun team at MLG events.

Tashi0106 said:
How far does accessibility take you though? Basic mechanics and firing of a weapon? I'm not saying let expert design the game, let them balance it. I'm just saying for exploits and game balance, go with the expert players. Expert players have a better knowledge of the subtle things in Halo. The little things that make a large difference. Fine tuning.

And I was talking about MLG gametypes. BTB though is a whole other beast lol.

Ok, but the MLG playlist is one of the least-played on Reach, no?

So apparently fewer people like playing the game as balanced by experts, than those who enjoy playing the 'unbalanced' game modes.

I'm not saying who's right or wrong, cause popularity certainly doesn't equal quality, but when the end-game goal is to have as any people playing and enjoying your game at different levels of experience and skill, then you can't have representatives from 5% of the population balancing the game exclusively to their liking.

Tashi0106 said:
Ok so what other fun stuff am I missing out on when I'm not trying to win?

You're not necessarily missing out on anything. I try to win all the time. But I, personally, love playing with the armor abilities, I like the balance that bloom brings to the weapon sandbox despite some flaws that I would LOVE to see tweaked.

We can argue back and forth about who's playing the game 'properly', but if Halo Reach had been balanced by players like you, with your priorities, then I would likely be left with a game that I enjoy much less... and probably wouldn't still be playing a year later.

wwm0nkey

To be fair I think MLG is the only actual fun I've had in Reach lol

Also they implemented AA's the way they should have been AS PICK UPS!

wwm0nkey said:
Was that Corrinne Yu sitting next to you?
Sure was, we talked for about ten minutes before the panel started. She is incredibly talented, and the stuff she has done honestly left me speechless. Great person.

Tashi

The Antitype said:
Ok, but the MLG playlist is one of the least-played on Reach, no?

So apparently fewer people like playing the game as balanced by experts, than those who enjoy playing the 'unbalanced' game modes.

I'm not saying who's right or wrong, cause popularity certainly doesn't equal quality, but when the end-game goal is to have as any people playing and enjoying your game at different levels of experience and skill, then you can't have representatives from 5% of the population balancing the game exclusively to their liking.
Well if I noticed anything about the Halo population is that the casual/majority don't really give a fuck about the balance. I also notice that the majority of hardcore players here don't play MLG, and I'd say the amount of complaining far out weighs the praise the game gets. I understand that bloom is the hot topic right now but it's just a small piece of the pie when you consider the entire scope of the matchmaking experience. A balanced game is a balanced game. All I'm saying is a balanced game is enjoyable by all players of all skill levels and that the expert players have a better knowledge of the game overall.

Edit: Bro, I've been like the only guy here supporting bloom and armor ablitities lol. Play MLG!!

wwm0nkey

Devin Olsen said:
Sure was, we talked for about ten minutes before the panel started. She is incredibly talented, and the stuff she has done honestly left me speechless. Great person.
Yeah she is pretty awesome.

Really love the team 343 has put together.

Tashi0106 said:
Well if I noticed anything about the Halo population is that the casual/majority don't really give a fuck about the balance. I also notice that the majority of hardcore players here don't play MLG, and I'd say the amount of complaining far out weighs the praise the game gets. I understand that bloom is the hot topic right now but it's just a small piece of the pie when you consider the entire scope of the matchmaking experience. A balanced game is a balanced game. All I'm saying is a balanced game is enjoyable by all players of all skill levels and that the expert players have a better knowledge of the game overall.

Sorry for generalizing you with the anti-bloom anti-AA crowd.

What about Reach do you feel is unbalanced?

Tashi

The Antitype said:
Sorry for generalizing you with the anti-bloom anti-AA crowd.

What about Reach do you feel is unbalanced?
Nah don't sweat it.

I feel like the loadouts, gametypes and maps are puzzle pieces that are not put together correctly. I honestly haven't played stock Reach in months so I don't know what has changed, I stick to MLG. Nothing feels custom made for each other.

TheOddOne

GhaleonEB said:
Ultimately, bloom and cadence (among other features) were specifically designed to give Reach a slower pace than previous titles. However, a couple of notable features have arisen from this decision: for starters, cadence is easily interrupted in Reach. In fact, many of the Armor Abilities are almost explicitly designed to do that and waiting for that fifth DMR shot to be ready can be really frustrating when you lose the race against your opponent’s Armor Lock energy recovery. Second, shooting to cadence is really only a valid tactic at range; the closer you get to your opponent, the less cadence applies, and players both casual and competitive can attest to how spamming the trigger actually becomes the more reliable option here. So, ultimately while the goal was to make the weapons feel more sophisticated and add a layer of skill required to use them, the net result has been that medium range weapons such as the DMR feel unreliable at their intended range, and trigger spam has not been discouraged.​

As I read this, a smile came over my face. Because that's easily the best one-paragraph synopsis explaining why Reach's implementation of bloom is problematic. The smile got bigger as I noted that the developer this came from is making Halo 4.
I will marry this person.

Speaking of Corrine Yu, she is the only reason I visit twitter these days.

Tashi

While I do agree that "spamming" is used quite often small to midsized maps, it doesn't necessarily mean bloom is broken. It just doesn't work as Bungie originally intended it too. I also think it's totally blown out of proportion here in HaloGAF. I feel like sometimes I'm playing a different game.

I agree with Shishka's first part but I don't put the blame on bloom, I put it on the specific armor abilities. I've seen them coexist, just not all of them. In my opinion, an over arching mechanic on the most widely used gun is far more deeply rooted in design than any armor ability. Doesn't fit right with bloom? Cut that shit.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
While I do agree that "spamming" is used quite often small to midsized maps, it doesn't necessarily mean bloom is broken. It just doesn't work as Bungie originally intended it too. I also think it's totally blown out of proportion here in HaloGAF. I feel like sometimes I'm playing a different game.

I agree with Shishka's first part but I don't put the blame on bloom, I put it on the specific armor abilities. I've seen them coexist, just not all of them. In my opinion, an over arching mechanic on the most widely used gun is far more deeply rooted in design than any armor ability. Doesn't fit right with bloom? Cut that shit.
319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Tashi

Wouldn't be the first time bro. Last weekend I heard more about accidents in Halo CE that just happened to work than ever lol.

Bungie: Accidentally the best

:lol

Zoolader

Zeouterlimits said:
Thank you.
baghdad jessica pics

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

I had to re-post this, but seriously whats with all these pics?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

edit: thank you for the explanation, actually much funnier now.

Kujo

Steelyuhas said:
What you are describing is how it worked in COD WAW, but in MW1, MW2, and Black Ops it was different.
No I seriously got matched up with maps from the first DLC pack when I had it (sold it before the 2nd came out). You didn't get that? It's the only CoD I've played onliine (besides a bit of 4), but I thought that was how it worked with everyone.

Tashi0106 said:

How's that host taste bro? :p

I agree with you though. MLG is however, a poor example for people to use to try and illustrate your point because MLG settings are a very specific style of play, and definitely doesn't encompass all the game offers.

Expert players should test the game though. They are going to find exploits and imbalances that an average or poor player is simply not going to even notice.

Mojo said:
No I seriously got matched up with maps from the first DLC pack when I had it (sold it before the 2nd came out). You didn't get that? It's the only CoD I've played onliine (besides a bit of 4), but I thought that was how it worked with everyone.

You must have run into some sort of matchmaking or server glitch because that is definitely not how it's supposed to work. You should never find yourself in a lobby that has maps coming up that you don't have.

Zoolader said:
I had to re-post this, but seriously whats with all these pics?
Those two? Or in general?

Letters pointed out the similarity to the infamous Bagdad Information Minisiter picture, I saw the chance for a joke about the Banshee not being changed in TU. While searching for a good banshee picture, I found one of New Alexandria burning, which is similar in a funny way to the Bagdad one.

Explaining a joke dampens the fun you know.

Kujo

Steelyuhas said:
You must have run into some sort of matchmaking or server glitch because that is definitely not how it's supposed to work. You should never find yourself in a lobby that has maps coming up that you don't have.
Happened to me more than 10 times, thought it was normal lol

And once, and only once, I had a DLC map pop up in Halo 3 before I had the map pack, when it loaded I got kicked to the main menu >_>

Someone mentioned it earlier today, but the fact that people can shoot while jetpacking, but players can't shoot while sprinting does not add up.

EDIT: Middle section of post deleted. I lost my enthusiasm for my argument. Steelyuhas showing me how it's done ;)

In other news, I rendered my 14 pistol kill game on treasury(low-res). I noticed that im really careless with grenades. I throw first, and look to see where my teammates are 2nd. There is one assassination that I performed and it shouldn't have happened, because all I did was tap the melee button. I can't count the number of times I've died because a teammate decided not to shoot a player from distance, and instead, moves all the way over to the opposing player, who has no shields, to melee/assassinate. And usually all it would have taken is one shot to save me. Grrr...
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23056778&player=XxDeputyMoonman
And a random snipe that I was dumb enough to try and randomly pulled off:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23056786&player=XxDeputyMoonman

Mojo said:
Happened to me more than 10 times, thought it was normal lol

And once, and only once, I had a DLC map pop up in Halo 3 before I had the map pack, when it loaded I got kicked to the main menu >_>

Amazing lol.

I don't know what to tell you haha, I've never had that experience and I know your not meant to have that experience. Bizarre.
seinfeld101.jpg

Deputy Moonman said:
Someone mentioned it earlier today, but the fact that people can shoot while jetpacking, but players can't shoot while sprinting does not add up.

I think Combat Evolved would disagree with you on this statement. Even if CE was unintentionally suited for expert players, what made it suited for expert players is also exactly what made it so fun for non-experts. Depth, degree of accuracy, massive skill margin, the pistol cough cough, etc. If this is true, then I would be much happier with a bunch of solid players doing the testing as opposed to people who thought armor lock was a good idea. I could be wrong, definitely, but I'm still a firm believer that if you design a game awesome enough for "pros," all the casual players will enjoy it, too. That's precisely one of the reasons Combat Evolved was so good and became the huge phenomena that is now (so cliche. I say this all the time, lol). When I think of a game designed for pros, I think of very deep game, with a very fine degree of weapon accuracy, with a proper hierarchy of weapon strengths (not just a, "let's make everything equal and call it balanced"), all of which contributes toward a rewarding game the longer you play it. Do this, and then playlists and minor changes can be made for the less competitive-minded. The reverse does not always work and more often than not is going to equate to something like Reach, imo, with power weapons littered throughout the map, weapons like the needler and assault rifle being being too effective for how easy they are to use, armor abilities like armor lock, jetpack, and evade, and the original precision weapons slow as molasses, further hampered by bloom, and unable to compete with the chaos.

Designing a game to appease people of all skill levels is like saying people aren't competent enough to get better at a game, and I really dislike that line of thinking. Isn't that what makes games fun in the first place - the challenge? A ton of games for the original Nintendo and Sega Genesis were hard as can be, and that didn't stop kids, and I stress the word kids, from eating up the challenge. But it's like people nowadays are retarded, incapable of getting better at games, and don't want a challenge... Not saying that's you or anyone else, but this desire to be sub-par and content at games, and reasoning off that all games should cater to this kind of sentiment doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. I find the whole argument completely fallible.

In other news, I rendered my 14 pistol kill game on treasury(low-res). I noticed that im really careless with grenades. I throw first, and look to see where my teammates are 2nd. There is one assassination that I performed and it shouldn't have happened, because all I did was tap the melee button. I can't count the number of times I've died because a teammate decided not to shoot a player from distance, and instead, moves all the way over to the opposing player, who has no shields, to melee/assassinate. And usually all it would have taken is one shot to save me. Grrr...
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23056778&player=XxDeputyMoonman
And a random snipe that I was dumb enough to try and randomly pulled off:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23056786&player=XxDeputyMoonman

I like to think of it like this: If you make a game that has competitive core gameplay mechanics, it will be fun for everyone, the best player on the planet and some scrub. Obviously, that scrub shouldn't play with the best player there is, but the game shouldn't handicap skilled players just for the sake of bringing them down to other people's skill level. CE is really the only Halo game to have succeeded in doing this.

Steelyuhas said:
I like to think of it like this: If you make a game that has competitive core gameplay mechanics, it will be fun for everyone, the best player on the planet and some scrub. Obviously, that scrub shouldn't play with the best player there is, but the game shouldn't handicap skilled players just for the sake of bringing them down to other people's skill level. CE is really the only Halo game to have succeeded in doing this.
Yeah. This is a much better and less accusatory way of putting things. I'm still working on toning down my opinionated posts. In fact, I had a conversation with Bobs99 yesterday about my posting. I've actually been enjoying Reach quite a bit recently. But it's hard for me to let go of Combat Evolved, completely.

It's so funny that I started playing Reach again only to find that very few people play the game anymore.

Woorloog

Banned
Whoah, no grenade adjustments? /facepalm
Even with increased mobility i think they're too strong.
And no vehicle adjustements... *sigh*
Fall damage? I have no issues with this one, a proper map desing would have negate this but still, i recall something about TU affecting fall damage.
What about Plasma Repeater? That weapon is the worst in Reach. It's effective vs Health, not vs Shield yet all headshot weapons are infinitely better vs Health than Plasma Repeater ever can be. If you can adjust Magnum damage, couldn't you take a moment and adjust the Plasma Repeater as well?
I guess i should be happy with the changes done but it seems so awfully small amount of changes. Small things don't fix the game, only make it a bit better.

A question about modified bloom, is that per weapon or all weapons?
If 0% bloom makes Nerfle a power weapon, then what about AR? Sounds like it'd be too good a weapon as well with 0% bloom. Have to say i'm not exactly happy with just 15% bloom reduction as it's still there (it's implementation is shit in Reach regardless) though i understand why 0% bloom won't work, especially if it's all weapons or none.

EDIT 6 Ignore whatever you've read, i realised my issue with all the Halos regardless of sandbox and gameplay, writing about it later.

Fall damage is already so insignificant in Reach, I don't understand the desire for its complete removal. Going from CE to Halo2 always annoyed me, because I felt fall damage made maps more dynamic. It's kind of similar to the jetpack dislike. Why make a map with different levels and walls if people can just fly anywhere they want with a jetpack. In the same light, why make high places on a map if people can go anywhere they want without the added risk of falling off a ledge and taking damage? Besides, I can fall from the top of sword base and not lose health. What else do people want? That is such a small amount of fall damage.

Woorloog

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Fall damage is already so insignificant in Reach, I don't understand the desire for its complete removal. Going from CE to Halo2 always annoyed me, because I felt fall damage made maps more dynamic. It's kind of similar to the jetpack dislike. Why make a map with different levels and walls if people can just fly anywhere they want with a jetpack. In the same light, why make high places on a map if people can go anywhere they want without the added risk of falling off a ledge and taking damage? Besides, I can fall from the top of sword base and not lose health. What else do people want? That is such a small amount of fall damage.
The issue with jetpack is that it doesn't have enough risk i think. I think the jetpack is pretty good idea (though i'd rather have a jump pack AA). Bybassing levels to get high before someone else... If jetpack was harder to control, one could shoot while using it and if the map desing didn't set power weapons where jetpackers can easily get them... Say, the 'nade launcher in newest Sword Base layout. Jetpacker can easily get it and the the other power weapons are in their reach as well. If you'd risk losing power weapons and could shoot while flying... and if EMP affected Jetpack as originally planned.
And of course not every map should feature Jetpack. It's good (well would be if it was more risky) in Sword base as it is more or less useless outside the open area, it's fun but not good in The Cage as it... uh, well, removes the risk of falling (more or less, also creates some) and bybasses open catwalks.
While Powerhouse is quite level map, i think Jetpack works there. The map's open enough that a jetpacker is at risk. Dunno why i feel the jetpack works in Powerhouse but not The Cage...

Gui_PT

Ken said:
The US Amazon link takes you to a different figure on the UK site? I tried searching on the UK site and couldn't find the figure.

No. I searched Amazon UK for the action figure in the link you gave me and a different one shows up.

Well, screw Europe, I'm moving out. How does America treat their immigants?

Woorloog said:
The issue with jetpack is that it doesn't have enough risk i think. I think the jetpack is pretty good idea (though i'd rather have a jump pack AA). Bybassing levels to get high before someone else... If jetpack was harder to control, one could shoot while using it and if the map desing didn't set power weapons where jetpackers can easily get them... Say, the 'nade launcher in newest Sword Base layout. Jetpacker can easily get it and the the other power weapons are in their reach as well. If you'd risk losing power weapons and could shoot while flying... and if EMP affected Jetpack as originally planned.
And of course not every map should feature Jetpack. It's good (well would be if it was more risky) in Sword base as it is more or less useless outside the open area, it's fun but not good in The Cage as it... uh, well, removes the risk of falling (more or less, also creates some) and bybasses open catwalks.
While Powerhouse is quite level map, i think Jetpack works there. The map's open enough that a jetpacker is at risk. Dunno why i feel the jetpack works in Powerhouse but not The Cage...
Well, I was kind of referring to jetpacks as an example of how they make map design less significant. But I understand what you are saying.

Honestly, Jetpacks don't bother me on sword base or countdown, and for the most part, not even Reflection. Jetpacks bother me the most on open maps where all one has to do is fly up into the air and he or she can target everyone on the map. It's the worst on forgemaps. Powerhouse has enough cover for people on foot that it's not as easy to take advantage of people when using a jetpack.

Now you take a map like enclosed, or worse, eden minor (shudders), and I just want to rip someone's throat out because of how easy it is for people with jetpacks to completely ignore the map design.

lybertyboy said:
The list from this Bulletin is THE list for the TU. Fall damage(although it sounds like a simple fix) sadly didn't end up making the cut this time.
This is what I figured. What are the chances of gametype/map tweaks to alleviate some of the problems that couldn't be addressed in this TU? Namely Evade and the Banshee.

lybertyboy said:
Those are still being finalized. Expect more info in the coming weeks.
Oh good. I normally have many questions/relevant shit to say, but it seems in the late hours of the evening everyone else says it for me. :-|
Do you really want us to lay everything out and then make you wait a month? Sounds pretty cruel to me.
Cruel to be kind.

Captain Blood said:
The real question is if a player can fall on their energy sword to die with Halo honor.
If there ever comes a day where Halo has a 'concede match' option, I would love to see this and/or a self-inflicted bullet to the brainpan. squish

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm going to miss me some armor lock when it is gone. Say what you will, but there is strategy to using it and to beating it. I never had near the issues others did defeating people using it.

I honestly found jetpacks more annoying.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
If there ever comes a day where Halo has a 'concede match' option, I would love to see this and/or a self-inflicted bullet to the brainpan. squish

Aw shit, you just reminded of the glitch in Halo 2 that let you shoot yourself with the pistol :lol

Deadly Cyclone said:
I'm going to miss me some armor lock when it is gone. Say what you will, but there is strategy to using it and to beating it. I never had near the issues others did defeating people using it.

I honestly found jetpacks more annoying.

I've never had an issue with it either, and I barely use it because I always end up dead.

And I'm not going to waste my grenades getting someone out of AL, so I'm just going to deal with them in the same fashion as before.. wait for them to come back out, headshot, I've only used one bullet instead of multiple grenades and a clip when they're just going to respawn with AL again and now I have no grenades to deal with the next encounter.

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Aw shit, you just reminded of the glitch in Halo 2 that let you shoot yourself with the pistol :lol
Didn't that work with other weapons as well... IIRC, my friend tried it with BR at least, maybe even with a sniper rifle.

FyreWulff

Woorloog said:
Didn't that work with other weapons as well... IIRC, my friend tried it with BR at least, maybe even with a sniper rifle.

Maybe, it was the most hilarious with the pistol though. I remember we were trying it on Headlong and one of my buddies pulled it off while jumping off the building, so it looked like he did a flip off the ledge.

That was one of the weird things about Halo 2, too. It was like

PISTOL KILL

*Spartan does super flip*

ROCKET KILL

*Spartan falls over slightly*

squidhands said:
I think people would go for it, too, even the losing side. When you concede the match, you get some mercy credits or something for not drawing out the match. Currently, I never quit out. I'm always trying to exact some comeuppance for decimating my team to the point that they quit out.

wwm0nkey

A "White Flag" option really needs to be in Halo 4.

If the Cr system is still there (better be for armor only and not rank!) if you surrender you get mercy credits but its not much, the team that didn't quit gets a decent bonus though.

Regardless since Halo doesn't swap out people like Call of Duty a surrender option is the only way to go to solve the quitting issue.

FyreWulff

Deputy Moonman said:
I think people would go for it, too, even the losing side. When you concede the match, you get some mercy credits or something for not drawing out the match. Currently, I never quit out. I'm always trying to exact some comeuppance for decimating my team to the point that they quit out.

I don't quit out as a habit from Halo 2.. since if you quit out, the game would have only 50% of the players present and then not be counted as reliable.

I also figured that in games where modding occured, this let the banhammer find them faster, and figured that I was holding the modders/standbyers for longer so they couldn't go shit up other games.

In non-cheating games, I usually waited until right before they got the last flag cap / bomb plant and left so the game would be reported unreliable and the entire game was moot.

In 3 and Reach I pretty much only end up getting quits from bad internet (3, Reach) and hostbooting (3).

Risen

HiredN00bs said:
And besides, the bloom mechanic is handled by the client, right?

Reducing the bloom makes the weapon more reliable for everyone, not just spammers, but lessens the impact pacing has on encounters. You're reducing a skill element of the game. Removing it altogether and working around that seems like a better course of action to me, if bloom is the problem you want to fix. Another way of thinking about it is distance between players. Bloom reduced by 15% will perform identically to current bloom, albeit at greater distances.

Does anyone know how this percentage adjustment actually works? Does it change the speed at which bloom shrinks or does it change the area to which it expands? (Upon further consideration, this is irrelevant, because you can adjust it either way so that the areas of the reticle are identical at the maximum firing rate).

We're on the same page there... I don't want it partially gone. While I think a reduction is better than full bloom, it is only a marginal change in the online world in which we play 90% of our games. You're right... there will always be connection issues, however the degree to which there will be imbalance in those that can spam and those that can't will be lessened with removal or lessening of bloom.

I think you're exactly on point about it working like it does now but at greater distances... and that also means an improvement at distances where most interaction takes place. (outside of big team)

Top Bottom