• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
PAX Storytime again:

While chilling with HBO/GAF friends in the theater lobby before the Halo 4 panel (we got to skip the loooong line), Alison Stroll walked up to me with a camcorder and said "If you had to tell the Halo 4 team one thing, what would it be?"

I froze. A million things were running through my head and I couldn't find the words to explain any of them. I managed to squeak out "I... love you guys?" to which Alison responded, "Really? They haven't released anything yet!"

I then started collecting myself and managed to spit out "Well, I will say to the multiplayer team: design maps with one gametype in mind, like Zanzibar and 1-flag." Alison could tell I was having trouble picking just one thing to say, so she smiled and I let her move on to someone else.

So if Halo 4 sucks you guys can all blame me. But if it rocks and the maps are Halo 2 levels of amazing, I'm taking all the credit.
I probably wouldn't have done any better, but it was still amusing to watch you struggle. I had time to collect myself and prepare an answer, and then she left. I was going to talk about combat distance.

senador said:
Ugh. I had a big post typed out on this earlier and threw it out. So last night in our 1 game we did of objective, we had the flag just feet away from scoring to tie the game and they took us all out. Where did we spawn? Opposite side in the rocks on Asylum. We had no chance to make it back.

I'm not defending the spawns, but if your team gets 4 down and you spawn there, you should be charging the enemy base again not attempting to score the flag in your base.

GhaleonEB said:
I probably wouldn't have done any better, but it was still amusing to watch you struggle. I had time to collect myself and prepare an answer, and then she left. I was going to talk about combat distance.
Everyone would have said something better than me. Embarrassing PAX moment #2354

The Real Napsta said:
I'm not defending the spawns, but if your team gets 4 down and you spawn there, you should be charging the enemy base again not attempting to score the flag in your base.

The problem is these spawns happen in neutral bomb. Why the fuck would I want to spawn in a spot where I can't even see my objective or nade it. If they're on their last score (flag or bomb), the last thing I want to do is spawn on the opponent's side on asylum. And it's happened that way for me.

I also had a powerhouse game in which I got the flag to the dorms, died, and spawned all the way in the water closer to the defense's base than my own. Explain that.

kylej

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
You mean there's other stuff you can do in class?

One of my professors this semester has banned all electronic devices, and he takes attendance every class. After 3 absences he takes a half letter grade off for each addition skipped class.

I only go to 4 classes a semester ya bastard and even then I just dick around on GAF or stare out the window. This motherfucker is my kryptonite.

darthbob

Sai-kun said:
Sorry buddy, college! I'm gonna be a junior! :D

My school is the best. Start in september, get out @ Thanksgiving with 6 weeks of winter vacation!

Ah, cool. I graduated College last year, now I do Tech Support.

:D

kylej said:
One of my professors this semester has banned all electronic devices, and he takes attendance every class. After 3 absences he takes a half letter grade off for each addition skipped class.

I only go to 4 classes a semester ya bastard and even then I just dick around on GAF or stare out the window. This motherfucker is my kryptonite.
Eh, I was in university last year, and there usually were around 700 of us in a lecture hall each lesson. I'd like to see 'em take attendance there. :lol

Doing a different course this year, and the classes will often be smaller, so I can definitely see something like that happening to mee, too. I'm motivated to go to as many classes as I can this year, though. :p

senador

Banned
The Real Napsta said:

By saying that, you kind of are defending the spawn. ;)

I know it wouldn't be fair to spawn us in our base, but I would think spawning on our carbine ramp or somewhere closer would be more fair. That or limiting Sprint on spawn like MLG, or delaying spawn a second or 2 but spawning closer to our base. Say one of us had managed to score the flag before we all died? The whole team was at our base so then we would have spawned in their rocks close for another flag grab. That also means now they are on our base for an easy flag grab since we spawned in their rocks. That doesn't seem right either.

GhaleonEB said:
After two seconds of thinking, I would've said:

"When designing the encounters for Halo 4's campaign, look to Halo 3 for inspiration and guidance."

FyreWulff

senador said:
Ugh. I had a big post typed out on this earlier and threw it out. So last night in our 1 game we did of objective, we had the flag just feet away from scoring to tie the game and they took us all out. Where did we spawn? Opposite side in the rocks on Asylum. We had no chance to make it back.

I really hope that future Halo games have a better gametype/map configuration where the spawns, weapons, etc can be paired to a map/gametype better instead of the broad stuff we get now.

As for spawns, I want to do some testing but I am pretty sure something is broken with them deep down. You can spawn 1 spot over and over, or on the opposite side in objective games, or right in front or behind of the other team, etc. I was really hoping for a patch for spawns. They seem broken beyond fixing within Forge.

Asylum is extremely spawn-starved. It's fixable but was probably beyond the time Bungie had left to completely tear out it's spawns and re-do them.

There's also the fact that it's technically pretty open and also relatively small (for the Reach engine), which makes a spawn starved map perform even worse in objective.

Devolution said:
I also had a powerhouse game in which I got the flag to the dorms, died, and spawned all the way in the water closer to the defense's base than my own. Explain that.
Yep I remember. One of the dumbest reasons for losing I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

FyreWulff said:
Asylum is extremely spawn-starved. It's fixable but was probably beyond the time Bungie had left to completely tear out it's spawns and re-do them.

There's also the fact that it's technically pretty open and also relatively small (for the Reach engine), which makes a spawn starved map perform even worse in objective.
They really should just lift the MLG version. It's so much better.

soldat7

Every single Big Team Battle match I've played has been on Forge World somewhere. What's up with that? Any other map that comes up gets vetoed for Forge World. It's unbelievable. Buying maps in Halo has become a tremendous waste of money.

I even played DLC a bit and one of the new maps was vetoed for Powerhouse. There are no words...

How often do the maps from the map packs actually show up in matchmaking? Or is everyone fine just playing the same 6-7 maps all the time?

kylej said:

Reminds me of my Jet Propulsion teacher. Super old, mean guy.

He took attendance every class. Miss just ONE day and you wouldn't get the bonus 100 averaged into your homework grade for the semester (which was pretty much necessary to pass considering how harshly he graded the homework). Miss more than two days and he starts docking your final grade.

My 21st birthday was on a Monday. My friends took me drinking Sunday night at midnight, I had to get up for class at 9:00 AM. I stumbled into the classroom still drunk, my classmates were all shocked to see me there. I signed the attendance sheet, told my neighbor to "take good notes because I'll need to copy them" and then passed out in my chair.

It was a miserable day, sobering up in one uncomfortable chair after another because I had class until about 5:00 PM on Mondays.

I miss college.

soldat7 said:
Every single Big Team Battle match I've played has been on Forge World somewhere. What's up with that? Any other map that comes up gets vetoed for Forge World. It's unbelievable. Buying maps in Halo has become a tremendous waste of money.

I even played DLC a bit and one of the new maps was vetoed for Powerhouse. There are no words...

How often do the maps from the map packs actually show up in matchmaking? Or is everyone fine just playing the same 6-7 maps all the time?

Big Team isn't going to have DLC, and the only other map options besides Forge World are crappy invasion maps in which half the map isn't utilized (Boneyard, Spire), so you're left with Boardwalk being the only other option to Forge World maps.

Forgot to mention Countdown comes up every once and a while, and most people don't want that clusterfuck.

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
Yep I remember. One of the dumbest reasons for losing I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

MLG version is even more spawn starved D:

One of these days, I'll rework the spawns for a few disc maps and see what people think.

My 21st consisted of a free beer on Microsoft, fuming at my microphones for not working and talking to the fine folks at 343. Also, nearly losing my job, playing the glorious TU and riding in a plane for 11 hours. It was the epitome of a roller coaster day.

Risen

Devolution said:
The problem is these spawns happen in neutral bomb. Why the fuck would I want to spawn in a spot where I can't even see my objective or nade it. If they're on their last score (flag or bomb), the last thing I want to do is spawn on the opponent's side on asylum. And it's happened that way for me.

Conversely the last thing the planting team wants is to have you spawn close after they did their job clearing you out and planting...

Those types of spawns are working as intended for the game type. It places the importance on you and your team in performing their job defending or attacking the objective. A team should be penalized for not doing their job in objective.

Busted spawns would be spawning where you just died, or on top of an opponent...

FyreWulff said:
MLG version is even more spawn starved D:

One of these days, I'll rework the spawns for a few disc maps and see what people think.
The map flow and lines of sight are so much better though.

Hitmonchan107 said:
My 21st consisted of a free beer on Microsoft, fuming at my microphones for not working and talking to the fine folks at 343. Also, nearly losing my job, playing the glorious TU and riding in a plane for 11 hours. It was the epitome of a roller coaster day.
Don't forget the new bag
that you bought
! I'm happy that you haven't lost your job. It was a pleasure for me to meet you.

Havok

soldat7 said:
A) The non-FW BTB maps are garbage, and so are most of the FW maps for that matter. Tempest is too small, and even Highlands has significant issues if it does miraculously show up. Boardwalk has no business being in there, it's objective placement is wildly inappropriate for any size of match, much less 16 all throwing grenades into a literal killing field.

B) There is a significantly higher chance that a single person in a given match wont have the maps when there are 10+ singles in an average match of that playlist.

soldat7

Devolution said:
Big Team isn't going to have DLC, and the only other map options besides Forge World are crappy invasion maps in which half the map isn't utilized (Boneyard, Spire), so you're left with Boardwalk being the only other option to Forge World maps.

Forgot to mention Countdown comes up every once and a while, and most people don't want that clusterfuck.

Can I reasonably expect to play on new maps in any of the non-DLC playlists?

Havok said:
A) The non-FW BTB maps are garbage, and so are most of the FW maps for that matter. Tempest is too small, and even Highlands has significant issues if it does miraculously show up.

B) There is a significantly higher chance that a single person in a given match wont have the maps when there are 10+ singles in an average match of that playlist.

For the sake of the community, you'd think the maps would eventually go free or become heavily marked down (permanently.) What's the point in buying map packs if they never show up? I guess the DLC hoppers (at the beginning the DLC deluge) is it. I miss Halo 2.

Didn't Halo 3 eventually force players to have certain map packs for popular lists like Team Slayer?

Risen said:
Conversely the last thing the planting team wants is to have you spawn close after they did their job clearing you out and planting...

Those types of spawns are working as intended for the game type. It places the importance on you and your team in performing their job defending or attacking the objective. A team should be penalized for not doing their job in objective.

Busted spawns would be spawning where you just died, or on top of an opponent...

I don't have to spawn close, at the same time I shouldn't be spawning all the way on the other side of the map. Rock spawn is fine, that's where I differ with Kooch, at least you're still on your side.

The powerhouse spawn was completely unacceptable. It's not just distance with these spawns, they are obstructed as well.

soldat7 said:

For the sake of the community, you'd think the maps would eventually go free or become heavily marked down (permanently.) What's the point in buying map packs if they never show up? I guess the DLC hoppers (at the beginning the DLC deluge) is it. I miss Halo 2.

Well you're not going to see them pop anyway if people haven't bought them. Another disappointment with Reach, not that many maps, weak maps at that, pay for more maps. =/

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:

That makes sense and seems to be huge problem for all the disc Forge maps. I've noticed spawn problems to a less degree on other maps too though.

I played Rumble Pit last night on Swordbase and I spawned 5+ times in a row at the stairs in the glass room.

Powerhouse Rumble Pit is bad too. Too many people spawn back behind the cliffside ramp and it becomes a cluster.

Anchor 9 has a special spawn out in space right on the edge that is easy to fall of off right when you spawn.

Tempest seems to only spawn players at the base and you can spawn camp or be camped easily.

I could go on, but I've been wondering for a while if there is a problem with the spawn system, or if spawns need more attention via Forge.

Spawns can be extremely frustrating and I wish they were more fair.

thezerofire said:

I like what they did with it to make it more like Sanctuary, but there is too much gray. I would have preferred it be made on grass and not be surrounded by gray walls.

I don't expect Asylum to change much, but if its spawns could be worked on, double the Sniper respawn time so its not constantly in play, and maybe add a few sticky grenades to the map I think it'd play much better.

Havok

soldat7 said:

They'll show up in Objective and Squad Slayer regularly if you play with a full team.

And free DLC is a pipe dream at this point unless there's a radical shift in philosophy from the executives of MGS.

A DLC search restriction would be ideal, but I don't think it's in the cards at this point.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I don't have to spawn close, at the same time I shouldn't be spawning all the way on the other side of the map. Rock spawn is fine, that's where I differ with Kooch, at least you're still on your side.

The powerhouse spawn was completely unacceptable. It's not just distance with these spawns, they are obstructed as well.

The spawn I was talking about was spawning rocks on the enemy side while they were all on our side on our flag. It didn't seem fair to me, but I am not an Objective pro.

Devolution said:
If it was enemy side, then yeah that's a problem too. You can spawn people on asylum on their side and still prevent them from easily accessing their objective. I guess the spawns were made based on how fast you can get via some AAs, at least it would make more sense that way.

Yup. Had it been our rocks it would have been fair I think. View obstructed, not too close, but possible to still score the flag if we push. As it was, we stood no chance. It was our whole team too. All of us in the enemy rocks. Bah, oh well.

senador said:
I like what they did with it to make it more like Sanctuary, but there is too much gray. I would have preferred it be made on grass and not be surrounded by gray walls.

I don't expect Asylum to change much, but if its spawns could be worked on, double the Sniper respawn time so its not constantly in play, and maybe add a few sticky grenades to the map I think it'd play much better.

I would think they parsed it down in order to alleviate some frame rate issues. Hence why it looks so bare.

senador said:
The spawn I was talking about was spawning rocks on the enemy side while they were all on our side on our flag. It didn't seem fair to me, but I am not an Objective pro.

If it was enemy side, then yeah that's a problem too. You can spawn people on asylum on their side and still prevent them from easily accessing their objective. I guess the spawns were made based on how fast you can get around via some AAs, at least it would make more sense that way.

Hypertrooper said:
Don't forget the new bag
that you bought
! I'm happy that you haven't lost your job. It was a pleasure for me to meet you.
Hah! If I had waited 5 more minutes, I wouldn't have needed to buy a $4 keychain for a silly bag.

It was a pleasure to meet you, too! And it was great to meet the other HaloGAFers who let me bask in their presence.

senador said:
Anchor 9 has a special spawn out in space right on the edge that is easy to fall of off right when you spawn.

This one is so anoying, it doesn't happen that much to me but whenever it happens, I go in rage mode. I hope 343 will do some serious map changes as soon as they start to really put out updates for Reach's matchmaking.

Another bad spawn is on asylum when the enemy team spawns between my sniper bridge and their carbine, especially on CTF matches.

FyreWulff

senador said:
Tempest seems to only spawn players at the base and you can spawn camp or be camped easily.

Tempest was better before the last update. Optimatch and other forums kept asking for sided spawns on Tempest, which were put in for some reason, so now you're locked to your base in all gametypes, including Slayer which makes no sense since holding your base has no importance in Slayer.

Sided-spawn Tempest is blegh and they didn't place enough spawns to compensate for doing it.

I don't like the sided-spawn Highlands either. Highlands needs weapon placement changes, but not sided spawns.. way too easy to spawncamp and force spawn on it now.

senador said:

Yeah the walls and the floors are a bit much, but everything else is great.

Devolution said:
Even I get kind of annoyed with slower respawn times for objective. But what really bums me out is objective spawning.
You mean "let's spawn you so far that you can only watch helplessly as the other team walks away with the flag"?

Yeah, that's my favorite.

senador said:

I really hope that future Halo games have a better gametype/map configuration where the spawns, weapons, etc can be paired to a map/gametype better instead of the broad stuff we get now.

As for spawns, I want to do some testing but I am pretty sure something is broken with them deep down. You can spawn 1 spot over and over, or on the opposite side in objective games, or right in front or behind of the other team, etc. I was really hoping for a patch for spawns. They seem broken beyond fixing within Forge.
My unsupported theory for Reach's spawns is that they 'listen' to damage values only and do not enemy location, despite additional respawn areas. It's the only sense I can make of why spawning can be so weird sometimes.

damn this thread moves fast.

btw - just saw the Mega Bloks when I went to Target on my lunch break. I said wow

Gui_PT

That's weird. I got all 4 dailies earlier today and now that I got on, they've reset.

Is it ok if I get them again?

soldat7 said:

No you can't.

Also about MLG and Sanctuary. There are some damn good Sanctuary remakes out there, and MLG's is not one of them. MLG's Sanctuary is much better than Asylum, but it is not near the better ones out there: Not forged as well, still missing tons of H2's sight lines that make the map so good. Also, most of the really good ones have grass.

Tawpgun

Does 343 have any plans on introducing us to their playlist manager (I respect and fear for the person who needs to please the entire Halo Community... But we need him/her...) and some sort optimatch forum?

Risen

Devolution said:

/

Then you have to drop the arm time for that bomb way way down a la MLG Bomb on their version of Asylum - otherwise the game type doesn't work. Good teams against good teams would never plant a bomb.

Similarly on one flag if people spawn close, the flag never ever gets capped. Already teams of relatively equal skill end in ties too often. That Powerhouse spawn with instant sprint isn't that far away at all... 4 seconds perhaps from being back and touching your flag.

Objective games whether one sided or not are more of a chess match with the reward of good team play being a captured flag, armed bomb, or held time. Spawns have to support that dynamic or the game types don't work.

I mean I know this won't change your opinion of the spawn system... but really those types of spawns support the game at hand.

I know there are bad spawns in the game, but the overwhelming majority of what most consider "bad" are their own, or team's fault.

Hitmonchan107 said:
And it was great to meet the other HaloGAFers who let me bask in their presence.

Presence™
A new cologne by Misriah Solutions.

This all-natural formula is made of 100% BK tears. The salty aroma - with more than a hint of body odor - elicits fond memories of navigating the crowd at a gaming convention. No respectable PAX attendee would ever leave his hotel without first freshening up under a splash of Presence™.

Presence™: The cologne line for those standing in line.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Tempest was better before the last update. Optimatch and other forums kept asking for sided spawns on Tempest, which were put in for some reason, so now you're locked to your base in all gametypes, including Slayer which makes no sense since holding your base has no importance in Slayer.

Sided-spawn Tempest is blegh and they didn't place enough spawns to compensate for doing it.

I don't like the sided-spawn Highlands either. Highlands needs weapon placement changes, but not sided spawns.. way too easy to spawncamp and force spawn on it now.
I prefer the current setup in Slayer to spawning on the other side of the map from my team mates, surrounded by the other team, which was a regular feature of base-swapping on Tempest.

Risen said:
Then you have to drop the arm time for that bomb way way down a la MLG Bomb on their version of Asylum - otherwise the game type doesn't work. Good teams against good teams would never plant a bomb.

Similarly on one flag if people spawn close, the flag never ever gets capped. Already teams of relatively equal skill end in ties too often. That Powerhouse spawn with instant sprint isn't that far away at all... 4 seconds perhaps from being back and touching your flag.

Objective games whether one sided or not are more of a chess match with the reward of good team play being a captured flag, armed bomb, or held time. Spawns have to support that dynamic or the game types don't work.

I mean I know this won't change your opinion of the spawn system... but really those types of spawns support the game at hand.

I know there are bad spawns in the game, but the overwhelming majority of what most consider "bad" are their own, or team's fault.

In the terms of the powerhouse spawn, the defense failed and I got penalized greatly for dying with flag. That does not make sense. If the spawns are affected by available AAs, there's another problem. Spawning in stupid locations because of how relative they are to the base due to sprint or evade makes objective even more silly. Because then the spawns have less to do with making objective about the primary goal of defending your base, or performing offensive maneuvers, like my spawn in their base on one flag did. I used up sprint getting around hammer spawn building and was unable to even get up to flag and help. Wanna help defense, spawn them by flag too, I don't care, just don't spawn me way the fuck away.

Sai-kun

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
Presence™
A new cologne by Misriah Solutions.

This all-natural formula is made of 100% BK tears. The salty aroma - with more than a hint of body odor - elicits fond memories of navigating the crowd at a gaming convention. No respectable PAX attendee would ever leave his hotel without first freshening up under a splash of Presence™.

Presence™: The cologne line for those standing in line.

preorder preordered

Gui_PT

squidhands said:
If you try for them again, they'll readjust to show as complete.

As in the bar will fill up again and I won't get credits?

I just got 2 of them again and got credits for them.

I better not try more of these. Don't want to get banned or reset =\

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
I prefer the current setup in Slayer to spawning on the other side of the map from my team mates, surrounded by the other team, which was a regular feature of base-swapping on Tempest.

That was because there wasn't enough spawns for the game to put you next to teammates. Spawnsiding gives you even less to work with, with the less number of spawns, you'll spawn next to your teammates.. and get immediately killed.

It needed more spawns, but not spawn side locking.

Havok said:
They'll show up in Objective and Squad Slayer regularly if you play with a full team.

And free DLC is a pipe dream at this point unless there's a radical shift in philosophy from the executives of MGS.

A DLC search restriction would be ideal, but I don't think it's in the cards at this point.

There was a discussion about this a couple pages back. Other's have said that the CoD matchmaking algorithm works better at matching up map pack people.

It'd be nice if Halo 4 improves upon the current formula in some way.

Gui_PT said:

That's what happened to me, and it was during a Firefight Thursday. I say keep playing, unless you were just going for the credits again.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Does 343 have any plans on introducing us to their playlist manager (I respect and fear for the person who needs to please the entire Halo Community... But we need him/her...) and some sort optimatch forum?

I don't think they have anounced anything about that but it would me a good thing to get to know this person and see some of his/her plans for Reach.

And I was gonna look on the waypoint forums but it won't let me there is something wrong with my windows live idea. Everything is fine on Bnet or hotmail, only xbox.com and waypoint forums. Any one else had the same problems?

FyreWulff

Gui_PT said:

The people that got banned were doing stuff like turning in a single challenge 40 times in one minute

You'll be fine

Top Bottom