• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

Another benefit of having a planned trilogy this time around is 343 can (hopefully) sign actors for all three games from the outset rather than having to negotiate each contract separately, which can lead to changes between games.

Does anyone in here speak Spanish?

I'm trying to find a word that starts with "DRINO-", "DRING-", "DRINC-", or "DRINQ-".

Google hasn't been very helpful since I have no idea how long the word really is. The only thing I've found is that "drino" is a "kind of venemous serpent". That's fine, but I just wanted to make sure there weren't other words that would fit.

If it helps, it's part of a bigger term on a map: "PUERTO DRIN-??"

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
What you suggest would be 100 times more annoying then a few seconds of dialog while everything going on is slowed down. The dialog given showed that she was in need of our help. Gravemind's dialog was again trying to screw with our heads. It was awesome.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because obviously we're a million miles apart on this.
I guess I just fail to see how drastically reworking the worst level in the entire series to make it be fun (I'd replace or offset bad Pure Form combat with tentacle setpieces), giving the level (and in turn, the entire game) some sort of story consequence, and making the game's main villain (cause it sure wasn't the bastardized Truth) more than just a voice and some cutscene tentacles would be more annoying than having to listen to the same inconsequential VO line every time. Those seem like good things. Cortana's dialogue was fine, but it led up to nothing. She spit out a line saying she was fine, we walked away. If that was the purpose of Gravemind's dialogue, it utterly failed, because it had zero context in the story.

FyreWulff

Striker said:
I think a lot goes by name. Team Slayer gets most popularity, and it's by far the worst in terms of AA options and map selections (hello Enclosed, Synapse, other crap, etc.).

People look beyond names. Social Slayer outpopulated Team Slayer all the time in Halo 3, so if you make Team Slayer ranked in Reach people will go looking for the unranked Slayer-only playlist and now you're back at square one with The Arena with a playlist with low population and no guests, just with a new name.

It's also forgotten that a huge problem with Team Training is that people would just quit when they got objective. If people kept getting Objective in a Reach "team training", they'd probably just stop playing since it only takes a couple of times getting objective for a Slayer-centric player to stop playing a playlist.

DGQ3M.png

Social Slayer was definitely a dominating force in Halo player population.

Havok said:
I guess I just fail to see how drastically reworking the worst level in the entire series to make it be fun (I'd replace or offset bad Pure Form combat with tentacle setpieces), giving the level (and in turn, the entire game) some sort of story consequence, and making the game's main villain (cause it sure wasn't the bastardized Truth) more than just a voice and some cutscene tentacles would be more annoying than having to listen to the same inconsequential VO line every time. Those seem like good things. Cortana's dialogue was fine, but it led up to nothing. She spit out a line saying she was fine,away. If that was the purpose of Gravemind's dialogue, it utterly failed, because it had zero context in the story.
Would've been better if they had not tried to resolve it by the end of the game. Make her seem fine on the surface, but make her twitchy. Obviously Halo 3 wouldn't be the last Halo game, so Bungie would've been safe in doing this. Thankfully it seems that Halo 4 will deal with Cortana's rampancy, by all indications.

ncsuDuncan said:

I'm trying to find a word that starts with "DRINO-", "DRING-", "DRINC-", or "DRINQ-".

Google hasn't been very helpful since I have no idea how long the word really is. The only thing I've found is that "drino" is a "kind of venemous serpent". That's fine, but I just wanted to make sure there weren't other words that would fit.

I'm from Spain and can't even think of a word like that, are you sure it is a spanish word?

Gabotron ES said:
I'm from Spain and can't even think of a word like that, are you sure it is a spanish word?

Puerto is Spanish for Port, is it not? It definitely looks like a port city/town on this map. I was just trying to figure out what the "DRIN-??" could be.

Alexandria translates to Alejandrino, that could be it...

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obvious Spanish word that fit "Puerto Drin-".

This is less off-topic than it seems.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Puerto is Spanish for Port, is it not? It definitely looks like a port city/town on this map. I was just trying to figure out what the "DRIN-??" could be.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obvious Spanish word that fit "Puerto Drin-".

There's a river named Drin that empties into here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriatic_Sea

It could simply be an untranslated foreign name (to the spanish cartographer)

GhaleonEB said:
Another benefit of having a planned trilogy this time around is 343 can (hopefully) sign actors for all three games from the outset rather than having to negotiate each contract separately, which can lead to changes between games.

Yeah hopefully they can avoid something like Truth being recast for Halo 3. That was brutal.

ncsuDuncan said:

I think it is just some random word put there after "PUERTO" which stands for port. It's definitively not spanish and I'm having a look at my brick-sized dictionary right now.

Also, Alexandria = Alejandría and Alejandrino = Alexandrine ;)

Gabotron ES said:
I think it is just some random word put there after "PUERTO" which stands for port. It's definitively not spanish and I'm having a look at my brick-sized dictionary right now.

Also, Alexandria = Alejandría and Alejandrino = Alexandrine ;)
Ah. Thanks!

FyreWulff said:
There's a river named Drin that empties into here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriatic_Sea

It could simply be an untranslated foreign name (to the spanish cartographer)

Yeah, I saw that. Looked up the area on Google Maps but didn't find anything useful.

The entire map isn't in Spanish, another part has what looks to be "fresh water" and elsewhere a word starting with "Most-"

Sorry if I'm being nebulous, working on a small Destiny update. One of the Birthday Card winners sent me a scan of the thank-you card Bungie sent him. It has another version of the map on it.

feel

ncsuDuncan said:

*thinks "hey I know spanish, time to shine"*

*reads request*

*fails to think of word, punches desk*

OuterWorldVoice said:
I was not ready for this. My eyes!

Letters said:
*thinks "hey I know spanish, time to shine"*

*reads request*

*fails to think of word, punches desk*
It's cool bro, there's no spanish word like that, there's just a single spanish word with "drino" and it is padrino = godfather

Nada que hacer aquí.

FyreWulff said:
Oh. If it's off Bungie material then I'd imagine it'd be a reference to the Drinol.

Would they name a port town Puerto Drinol?

Puerto Drinniol has a good ring to it, that goes back to Marathon. But Drinol fits better, there's definitely a rounded letter after the Drin-.

FyreWulff

Gabotron ES said:
It's cool bro, there's no spanish word like that, there's just a single spanish word with "drino" and it is padrino = godfather

Nada que hacer aquí.

Como se dice "title update" en espanol?

Why is everyone defending BF3 :( god its awful. Hype KILLED.

Bring on new maps and some zero bloom matchmaking i promise i wont complain again.

Also "High Noon" is a horrible map, So glad we are getting a proper remake with CE:A

feel

FyreWulff said:
Como se dice "title update" en espanol?
people just call it update without title: "Actualizacion"

"Actualizacion de Titulo" would be the proper translation

Ramirez said:
Can't wait for the 4th to get some real discussion going on in here again.
85% Bloom + slowmovement/sprint/AAs.. yay!!

Ramirez said:
Everyone agreeing Michael Wincott was the better Truth isn't much of a discussion. WE NEED SOMEONE TO DISAGREE, STAT!

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
Why is everyone defending BF3 :( god its awful. Hype KILLED
I'm having more fun playing the terribly glitchy beta than I have in Reach for the last few months. It may be broken but at least its fun.

TheOddOne

StalkerUKCG said:
Why is everyone defending BF3 :( god its awful. Hype KILLED
If it looks like Battlefield, sounds like Battlefield and plays like Battlefield then its freaking Battlefield. Dunno what people where expecting.

Blue Ninja said:
Everyone agreeing Michael Wincott was the better Truth isn't much of a discussion. WE NEED SOMEONE TO DISAGREE, STAT!

My 14 year old self didn't hear any difference really so you could say I don't really care about it.

StalkerUKCG said:

Bring on new maps and some zero bloom matchmaking i promise i wont complain again.

Also "High Noon" is a horrible map, So glad we are getting a proper remake with CE:A
What were you expecing from the BF3 beta?

The game is a blast to play, and sure it has some issues but it is after-all a BETA. Which they have already patched.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

Yea I really hope they do think ahead and do sign these people for the entire trilogy.

OuterWorldVoice said:

WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?!?!?! Seriously what the hell is wrong with whoever made that?

And dear god I think you have scarred me for life Frankie. I decided to check out some of that thread. That is some truly scary shit.

omg.kittens said:
Good games, yall. That's the first time I've ever had fun in Reach's BTB! YOU GUYS MAKE BTB ENJOYABLE -- a feat I thought impossible.
Just small town girl, livin' in a lonely world, she took the midnight going anywhere!

Woorloog

Banned
MrBig said:
I'm having more fun playing the terribly glitchy beta than I have in Reach for the last few months. It may be broken but at least its fun.
This. Very much this.
It is highly like the retail (360) is even better (even if it's damn limited compared to PC version). I wonder if i'm going to play Halo Reach anymore at all, even with new maps. I'll be playing a lot of Battlefield still Skyrim comes out, then i quickly play Halo CEA, then some more Skyrim, back to Battlefield, then SWTOR (unless i cancel my pre-order, still haven't deciced). I really have no idea where Reach fits all this.
One thing i love in Battlefield is that even with randoms, people seem to be knowing what to do, help others etc. I never (well, very rarely anyway) see this in Halos without a party. And i think i like objective oriented game more than death match ones (and Halo Reach objective modes suck at the moment. Bad maps+bad settings+people who play everything like it was Slayer...).

By the way, is Halo CEA pre-order bonus simply included in every pre-order regardless of retailler or do only some retaillers offer it? The one i('d like to) use doesn't list any pre-order bonus (yet?). And it is available in Europe as well, right? Region centric pre-order bonuses are so fucking stupid.

wwm0nkey

StalkerUKCG said:
Because its fun?

The only really buggy area is the first part, after that part is over the rest of the map is pure gold and the gun play is excellent.

Also the game is running off of like 5 week old code too from what I was told.

TheOddOne

^ Yeah, so many great games coming out that need to be played.

Skyrim, Forza 4, MGS Collection and Halo: CE HD are gonna keep be busy.

Its gonna be hard to fit Reach into all of this awesome.

Ken said:
So I somehow melee'd a guy assassinating me yesterday. Here's an unrendered (sorry) clip if anyone is curious.

I'm guessing it's just weird lag shenanigans but it seemed to surprise both me and the assassin.

Thanks a bunch.

Iv done the same thing, its because you turned around after he had started the animation but before the host had synced the action to you. its a real split second thing.

Booshka

Easiest day of Reach MM ever for me today, not one game was a challenge. The one game we thought was going to be competitive, they ended up rage quitting a couple minutes in. Got some cool plays, but nothing too interesting since everyone was walking in a straight line and playing like a moron.

FyreWulff said:
People look beyond names. Social Slayer outpopulated Team Slayer all the time in Halo 3, so if you make Team Slayer ranked in Reach people will go looking for the unranked Slayer-only playlist and now you're back at square one with The Arena with a playlist with low population and no guests, just with a new name.

Social Slayer was definitely a dominating force in Halo player population.

The chart you posted shows team slayer accounting for about 20% of the overall population. Arena probably makes up for about 5% of Reach's population.

The failure of Arena is not the failure of ranked Halo. In the pre-release vidocs it was marketed as a super hardcore playlist; why does ranked play only have to be the preserve of the super hardcore? Then they de-incentivised it by hiding your division or rank from the rest of mm. Other issues abound; the nebulous and unnecessary way the player is placed in divisions; the frankly absurd decision to base it off of individual performance rather than win/loss - which led to deliberately letting your teammates to die in order to poach the power weapons, and so increase your rating. Armour lock in the first few seasons did damage to the playlists reputation too.

MM and playlist management is something that needs a radical overhaul for Halo 4 after the disparate mess that is Reach's mm.

Striker

thee henery said:
MM and playlist management is something that needs a radical overhaul for Halo 4 after the disparate mess that is Reach's mm.
MM was worse in the last game, notably the playlist decisions. Arena has some issues atm, but it's far better than what it's been since launch. Did they even change anything in Halo 3 ranked TS?

Agree that the Onyx-Gold-Silver, etc. needing to be on the forefront. Hiding it was really strange.

Let's just hope 343 saw what Bungie did wrong in the playlsits and rectify it. Like putting Snipers out of Ranked TS (Halo 3) and Snipers in almost every slayer playlist (Reach). Make it its own playlist and leave it.

StalkerUKCG said:

Im having fun on it. I think the full game will be miles better considering there will be more than 1 bloody map. But credit goes to Bungie for making the Halo Beta's have very few actual bugs.

Ramirez said:

Yeah it should be interesting to see how it plays out. I wonder what the settings are going to be.

I think Reach would be fine if it:

1) Had better population and stricter skill matching in its playlists (perhaps through trimming the existing lineup)

2) More prominently displayed Arena rankings in the UI

Number 2 is probably off the table because it would require modifications to the UI that 343 isn't willing to implement, but number 1 should be enough to please those looking for better matches.

Top Bottom