• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

HiredN00bs said:
On the Dashboard -> System Settings -> Display, you can select what resolution to which your 360 will scale. Reach's native resolution is 1152x720, while 720p is 1280x720, making it the closest to native. However, your display is going to scale whatever your 360 is pushing out to its native resolution. Your should generally try and setup for the least amount of conversions (if your television displays 1376x768, set your 360 to that).
I see, thanks ;)

Also, Superintendent, anyone?

Zeouterlimits said:
Well said, completely agree.

Yea, with 1-50 you always came up against people who bought another account to stomp on those well below their 'truskill' level or derankers who would deliberately lose. This doesn't happen in Reach now 1-50 has gone!

Capture-6.jpg

Oh wait...

^ My last game played

Hypertrooper said:
THESE AREN'T THE HALO CEA ACHIEVEMENTS! DAMN IT!
Assuming the game will go gold in the next 2 weeks, so I'd say the latter half of October.
thee henery said:
Yea, with 1-50 you always came up against people who bought another account to stomp on those well below their 'truskill' level or derankers who would deliberately lose. This doesn't happen in Reach now 1-50 has gone!
Or the point could be it's a lot less prevalent than it was.

orznge

Banned
(in "I belong to the primary Halo demographic" voice) player investment in a skill-based ranking system is bad, I also wish to abolish monetary systems because people do bad things to get money

orznge said:
(in "I belong to the primary Halo demographic" voice) player investment in a skill-based ranking system is bad, I also wish to abolish monetary systems because people do bad things to get money
(in easy voice) "I make straw man arguments"

orznge said:
player investment in a skill-based ranking system is bad, I also wish to abolish monetary systems because people do bad things to get money
*sigh*

All he/I said was that the system was flawed in its implementation, not that all SB-ranking systems are bad.
Your comparison is a complete fallacy too, even EazyB would have picked up on it.

Edit: Beaten by HN.

neoism

Gabotron ES said:
BTB Snipers on Paradiso.

4481904919_d6bdc613b6_o.gif

Also, I hopped on Reach last night and no one was playing it, GAF I'm dissapointed.

Where can you tweak these settings?
just go to system display settings on the dashboard.

Zeouterlimits said:
Or the point could be it's a lot less prevalent than it was.

Is it though? I went beserk today, destroying people who were quite clearly below my skill level, in every game I played. And I consider myself to be only a decent player, nothing more, nothing less. It's very rare for me to go negative in this game. Halo 3, I was challenged regularly.

neoism

Zeouterlimits said:
*sigh*

All he/I said was that the system was flawed in its implementation, not that all SB-ranking systems are bad.
Your comparison is a complete fallacy too, even EazyB would have picked up on it.

lol

orznge

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
*sigh*

literally like the 100th time people in this thread genuinely believe that obvious jokeposts are being posted with complete seriousness

Tawpgun

I fail to see how Win/Loss Arena Rankings implemented in playlists that make sense, such as Objective, BTB, Squad, etc... would be bad.

Are people really that scared of elitist shit talkers?

thee henery said:
Is it though? I went beserk today, destroying people who were quite clearly below my skill level, in every game I played. And I consider myself to be only a decent player, nothing more, nothing less. It's very rare for me to go negative in this game. Halo 3, I was challenged regularly.
I'd put that down to
a) terrible players
b) poor matchmaking
c) afking for credits
d) whole host of issues.

Not sure those people are trying to derank per-say.
neoism said:
Mentioning Eazy was very intentional, in case that wasn't clear.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I fail to see how Win/Loss Arena Rankings implemented in playlists that make sense, such as Objective, BTB, Squad, etc... would be bad.

Yes, they are petrified at the thought of it.

Zeouterlimits said:
c) afking for credits

These are effectively the same thing when considering the impact they have on the match. I understand what you're saying but I feel like those issues were actually less prevalent in Halo 3.

orznge

Banned
neoism said:

Neoism steps in to give an "lol", indicating much more worth than an emptyquote. "I get what you're saying", he shouts at his computer monitor, while mimicking the smart people.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
It should have been in every playlist sans the social ones like Actionsack, Grifball, and Multi-team. Of course, there would be no need for three 4v4/5v5 type Slayer playlists, so I would have axed Team Slayer, renamed Arena to 'Team Slayer', and kept Squad.

thee henery said:
Sorry what hacked accounts are you talking of as a result of 1-50? The only people who got hacked in Halo 3 where sporters of recon (pre-ODST) and pro's. I don't think many got their account hacked because they were a 50.
There was plenty, "PAY 1600 MS POINTS FOR 50 IN [name playlist]!".

Striker said:
There was plenty, "PAY 1600 MS POINTS FOR 50 IN [name playlist]!".

Firstly, in quoting my post I realise I've made an unpardonable error in typing 'where' instead of 'were'. I usually scoff at those who make this mistake; this is the consequence of reading the internet too much, their mistakes are rubbing off on me.

Ok you mean boosted accounts, not hacked accounts, misinterpretation.

Anyone wants to start a Halo 3 playthrough on legendary? I blame Dax01 that I want to play it now!

It can be laggy etc. So I'm warning you guys!

Hypertrooper said:
Anyone wants to start a Halo 3 playthrough on legendary? I blame Dax01 that I want to play it now!
Heh, I just got the itch after listening to it to, but I really shouldn't.
Would love to play, sorry.

I also want to go back and refresh my opinion of Halo 3's combat because I'm thinking that my bitterness over the narrative has been unfair to the game as a whole in the past few months.

neoism

Zeouterlimits said:
I'd put that down to
a) terrible players
b) poor matchmaking
c) afking for credits
d) whole host of issues.

Mentioning Eazy was very intentional, in case that wasn't clear.
I was.

Karl2177

Opposite end of the TrueSkill bitching spectrum. I shouldn't be able to go into Matchmaking and single handedly dong on a team. Give me some competent opponents
and some no bloom SWAT
, please.

Zeouterlimits said:
I also want to go back and refresh my opinion of Halo 3's combat because I'm thinking that my bitterness over the narrative has been unfair to the game as a whole in the past few months.
Do it. It'll be fun. I think if Halo 3 had a story on par with 1 or 2's, or if the writing was of the same quality as the Terminals, it'd be remember as fondly as Halo 1.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
Do it. It'll be fun. I think if Halo 3 had a story on par with 1 or 2's, or if the writing was of the same quality as the Terminals, it'd be remember as fondly as Halo 1.

See I think it gets too much shit for no reason. The game accomplished beautifully what it set out to do I thought which was tie up the trilogy. I loved every bit of the campaign. You got to see the aftermath of you jump from within the city. You got to find out where the ark was and what it does. You got to stop that by setting foot on a currently being rebuilt Installation 04.

The only level I feel could be considered a let down even though I loved the hell out of it was Cortana and that level was awesome thanks to the Cortana Flashes on it, Gravemind taunting you, getting to see what actually became of High Charity and the moment you get her back. The only real fault I had with that level is the lack of long ranged ammo about the time you encounter a ton of ranged pure forms.

But yea overall I loved the game. You had I feel some of the best missions in the franchise in that game along with a great story that I feel ended Master Chief's story perfectly. It allows you as a fan to determine your own story for them. It also helped that it had the best multiplayer since Halo CE I felt..

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
Still wondering where my thumbs up button is!

Still disappointed with Halo 3's story. I wanted it to be so good, had those hype goggles fitted good that first night :|

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
that level was awesome thanks to the Cortana Flashes on it, Gravemind taunting you
...but those were not good. Forcing you down to a crawl and distorting your screen to deliver a line of dialogue that ultimately held no value. Instead, having Cortana's hologram flash up everywhere as you progress through the level while saying more and more depraved things, having Gravemind tentacles actually toy with you by manipulating the environment, and having a point to the entire Cortana arc instead of her getting up and practically saying 'jk im fine' would have been a better way to do it. Not annoying the player.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
...but those were not good. Forcing you down to a crawl and distorting your screen to deliver a line of dialogue that ultimately held no value. Instead, having Cortana's hologram flash up everywhere as you progress through the level while saying more and more depraved things, having Gravemind tentacles actually toy with you by manipulating the environment, and having a point to the entire Cortana arc instead of her getting up and practically saying 'jk im fine' would have been a better way to do it. Not annoying the player.

What you suggest would be 100 times more annoying then a few seconds of dialog while everything going on is slowed down. The dialog given showed that she was in need of our help. Gravemind's dialog was again trying to screw with our heads. It was awesome.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because obviously we're a million miles apart on this.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:

Looking at the Arena population.. yes?

MLG does not allow guests and doesn't have an Arena rating. Restricting guests doesn't come hand in hand with Arena ratings being present.

The reason they didn't even put Objective after making the silly win-loss change to the Arena was that objective even being present only as a voting option will make the population drop in a playlist.

There would be like.. 5 people playing an Arena Objective playlist.

thee henery said:

Well, both Reach and Halo 3 and every non-EA Live game are running off Trueskill, so not sure what to tell you there. Trueskill cannot account for players that have not played enough games, multiple people on one account, and people that don't "show up" for a game.

Or we could just throw Arena ratings and strict skill matching on every single playlist, increasing search times across the board and drive even more people into only playing Team Slayer.

We're better off without a ranked system being present everywhere in matchmaking because it just results in duplication of playlists and people going stupid over a number. I still don't agree with Bungie's decision to make Arena win/loss.

Karl2177

PsychoRaven said:
What you suggest would be 100 times more annoying then a few seconds of dialog while everything going on is slowed down. The dialog given showed that she was in need of our help. Gravemind's dialog was again trying to screw with our heads. It was awesome.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because obviously we're a million miles apart on this.
I'm with Havok on this one. The dialogue gets repetitive after multiple playthroughs, while gameplay(if done well) can be replayed indefinitely.

FyreWulff

Karl2177 said:
I'm with Havok on this one. The dialogue gets repetitive after multiple playthroughs, while gameplay(if done well) can be replayed indefinitely.

I liked it on the initial playthrough. Although I think I would have liked to see a 360-era model of the Gravemind as part of the level.. ending up only hearing him via voice was kind of a let-down.

The one point where they re-use a gravemind line from Halo 2 verbatim kind of takes me out though, because it's obviously a different recording. You go from hearing Halo 3 Gravemind to Halo 2 Gravemind in the span of a couple of seconds.

feel

Zeouterlimits said:
Does it have the kinect stuff working? I'm tempted to install it on a old 360 I have lying around and plug the sensor to it to check the new voice stuff out. That thread is the usual complete ad bitchfest with no talk about the update.

edit-

somehow missed that there's a vid

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
I liked it.

The one point where they re-use a gravemind line from Halo 2 verbatim kind of takes me out though, because it's obviously a different recording. You go from hearing Halo 3 Gravemind to Halo 2 Gravemind in the span of a couple of seconds.

Yea. That's the one thing I'd change. I liked the Voice actors in Halo 2 better for Gravemind, Truth, and Keyes. Why they felt the need to change them all is beyond me. The only reason I can think is that the change was cost related since 2 was using a lot of well known actors and voice artists.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. That's the one thing I'd change. I liked the Voice actors in Halo 2 better for Gravemind, Truth, and Keyes. Why they felt the need to change them all is beyond me. The only reason I can think isthat the change was cost related since 2 was using a lot of well known actors and voice artists.

Joe Staten said the reason Truth was changed is that they felt people didn't trust him enough so him turning out to be a jerk wasn't the twist it was supposed to be.. and the Halo 3 actor is not a bad actor.. but damnit, the Halo 2 Truth voice just fit the character SO much better.

Regret's voice actor is great, but they can only use him in prequels like Halo Wars since they killed his character off :p

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Joe Staten said the reason Truth was changed is that they felt people didn't trust him enough so him turning out to be a jerk wasn't the twist it was supposed to be.. and the Halo 3 actor is not a bad actor.. but damnit, the Halo 2 Truth voice just fit the character SO much better.
Truth's voice actor was changed for a different reason.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:

Regret's voice actor is great, but they can only use him in prequels like Halo Wars since they killed his character off :p

Well yea he was the bad guy. Why the hell would we trust him? I do agree the voice actors they got did a good job. Hell Keyes is the closest and you really can't tlel a big difference there. And yea Truth in 2 just fit better. He also seemed more evil in 2 which I liked. IN 3 he came off more delusional then evil. The sad part is the books and other stuff really paint him as an evil SOB that knew what he was doing.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
Truth's voice actor was changed for a different reason.

Staten explains it right in the Halo 2 legendary commentary, so if there's another reason he's said in super secret talkings at PAX or something I haven't heard it.

Here's the blatant re-use of the "We exist together now, two corpses in one grave" line from Gravemind High Charity in Halo 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbhBWq4tTEI&feature=player_detailpage#t=350s

The Halo 2 usage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBERhhE5sM&feature=player_detailpage#t=74s

PsychoRaven said:
Well yea he was the bad guy. Why the hell would we trust him? I do agree the voice actors they got did a good job. Hell Keyes is the closest and you really can't tlel a big difference there. And yea Truth in 2 just fit better. He also seemed more evil in 2 which I liked. IN 3 he came off more delusional then evil. The sad part is the books and other stuff really paint him as an evil SOB that knew what he was doing.

Yeah.. in the Halo 2 legendary commentary, Staten is sarcastically (well, Staten-sarcastic) asking Marty why nobody would trust Truth. TBH, Wincott sounded like the smart asshole that Truth was. As you point out, 3's Truth sounds like a crazy old man.

Imagine the subject of this thread being said in 3's Truth voice instead of 2's. I don't think it would have been as awesome.

The one change I 100% agree with those who made it is Keyes, Benz was CLEARLY not actually interested in acting for Halo 2.

FyreWulff said:
The one change I 100% agree with those who made it is Keyes, Benz was CLEARLY not actually interested in acting for Halo 2.
The replacement wasn't much better.
In fact I hated Miranda in 3. The writing is just as much at fault though.

Striker

FyreWulff said:
Looking at the Arena population.. yes?
I think a lot goes by name. Team Slayer gets most popularity, and it's by far the worst in terms of AA options and map selections (hello Enclosed, Synapse, other crap, etc.).

Arena has a pretty decent map selection, and gets most use out of Sprint. Sure I hate Enclosed and Jetpack, but they're minor issues compared to the gaffes we had in a previous game (AR starts, Last Resort gunshot.gif). If Arena was promoted as the premier Team Slayer and named as so, we most likely see different populations.

Fyrewulff said:
The reason they didn't even put Objective after making the silly win-loss change to the Arena was that objective even being present only as a voting option will make the population drop in a playlist.

There would be like.. 5 people playing an Arena Objective playlist.
That's why you don't just make another TO playlist. You create an Arena-based playlist off TO that is more balanced and uses more traditional oriented gametypes, i.e. flag, bomb, 3 Plots, King, and so on.

You make a Team Training playlist (guests are allowed, one of the playlists where guests, social players, and others can thrive; make it so no k/d is recorded) ala Halo 2 that suits both Slayer and Objective, mostly Slayer because there's more map selections for it whereas not every Reach map is suitable for objectives, and you're set.

Top Bottom