• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

I believe the response time statistics are more for like DLP's and certain plasma sets or whatever that can have like 50-200ms response (not sure exactly). Those would strictly be TV and Movie sets.

Anything below 10ms is really negligible but the lower the better obviously.

senador

Banned
Farooq said:
For me it's a combination of bloom, and the way the spartan shield registers a hit that makes it less clear than it was in Halo 3.

Halo 3, I could tell if one bullet of my spread hit a dude. In Reach, I am unclear which sometimes affects my decision making, because I don't know how much I damaged my opponent.

I guess I should attribute it to me being less familiar with Reach, but to me the shot registration feels less intuitive.
Its the exact opposite for me. Reach really improved the communication of registering shots. Shields are yellow and clearly change color and shimmer when hit. When shields pop you get the great swirl and loud metallic pop sound to indicate they are down.

In 3 the shields are silvery and not as defined. They are hard to see especially at a distance. It doesn't help that 3 is more murky and has much less clarity than Reach.

Edit: I play better when I play in my office on my 24" monitor but it's not as comfy for long periods and the 46" TV has the surround sound too. It's not practical for me to move the Xbox back and forth. Someday I'd like 2 Xboxes or to run an HDMI through the house to the office. Short term may be getting another power brick for the office.

MrBig

senador said:
It doesn't help that 3 is more murky and has much less clariy than Reach.
Does not compute.

The thought behind reach was to make it more gritty. They specifically added film grains and grunge detail maps to accomplish that.

Louis Wu said:
Nate left 343 last year; he's working at ZeniMax Online Studios now.

His version of the clip says it's previs animation, one of many sample 'throwaway' story ideas. I think it's more about showing his animation skill than about telling the Halo 4 story.

Haha damn, as much sense as this makes I was imagining Ackerson somehow ending up on the Halo 4 planet, gaining Forerunner psionics and then kicking Chief's ass before they found out they were on the same side or something.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I hate randoms.

Someone please save me from this misery. GT = popular revolt.

FyreWulff said:
I'm the opposite. I want to get as many games in pre-TU as possible.

tumblr_lkabim7igi1qbjuneo1_400.gif

You know full well that Frankie and co. have made it quite clear on numerous occasions that people will still be able to play vanilla Reach post-TU so (while I still try to wrap my head around your recent statement about Halo 4) what exactly is the point that you're trying to make here?

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
I can only play Halo on a monitor now.

Yup, ever since I got my Viewsonic a couple years back I haven't been able to play Halo on a regular TV. That's why I'm glad I got my Asus monitor. :>

feel

senador said:
It doesn't help that 3 is more murky and has much less clarity than Reach.
Halo 3 has a very sharp, clean, colorful and high contrast look. Jaggies, FOV and simplistic geometry hold its visuals back from being adored by more people. Reach's visuals, just like the overall multiplayer, tried to go for the COD market appeal with the muted, blurry and gritty visuals. I get way more fulfilment visually when I'm playing Halo 3.

edit- I don't care enough about being better than the others to play on a tiny monitor instead of my main 47" tv (which is lagless anyways). My conection is already putting me at a disadvantage anyways so I might as well enjoy some stunning visuals while being even more satisfied when I manage to outperform the tinymonitor/wiredcontroller/greatconnection tryhards online.

Letters said:
Halo 3 has a very sharp, clean, colorful and high contrast look. Jaggies, FOV and simplistic geometry hold its visuals back from being adored by more people. Reach's visuals, just like the overall multiplayer, tried to go for the COD market appeal with the muted, blurry and gritty visuals. I get way more fulfilment visually when I'm playing Halo 3.
I love how Reach looks, I hope Halo 4 brings a more mature look to the series.

Tashi0106 said:
You don't think sports athletes talk shit to each other? We just don't hear it. And usually there's no fighting because guys don't want to get a penalty/flag throw/technical foul. It's super competitive, we're trying to win every Gamebattles match. If we make top 12 we can get a sponsor for Orlando. It's a huge emotional swing. When I got that last kill I stood up and fuckin threw my fist in the air lol. I then proceeded to boot those guys out of the party for losing like that.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.

There are athletes who do. Kind of tired of the whole "but so many do it what's the big deal." You can be ultra competitive without being an asshole. I went off on my doubles partner once and felt like the biggest douchebag in the world, it never happened again. I just explained to her I knew she was good, so it was weird to see her screw up so bad. But really I don't know how people deal with someone who's constantly like that. Or someone who's such a perfectionist they can't just be happy about a win. If we lost a set but won the game, I wasn't like "hey fuck you other team that was some BULLSHIT."

If it was that much of an issue, which is funny because I see so many people full of bravado saying Reach host isn't a big deal, hmmm, why can't you seriously ask for another game? I mean if you all are as competitive as you put out there, more games proving your superiority can't hurt right?

Letters said:

edit- I don't care enough about being better than the others to play on a tiny monitor instead of my main 47" tv (which is lagless anyways). My conection is already putting me at a disadvantage anyways so I might as well enjoy some stunning visuals while being even more satisfied when I manage to outperform the tinymonitor/wiredcontroller/greatconnection tryhards online.
Otherwise Reach has the perfect balance between the colorful Halolook and mature gritty visuals.

I don't get it, team was pumped they came back after a serious comeback and you guys can't see how they might just react a little differently than normal?

It could have been worse. He could have been like so many others and said "You got raped!".

Hydranockz said:
I don't get it, team was pumped they came back after a serious comeback and you guys can't see how they might just react a little differently than normal?

It could have been worse. He could have been like so many others and said "You got raped!".

I thought the screaming was derogatory lol. If it wasnt im an idiot.

Devolution said:
There are athletes who do. Kind of tired of the whole "but so many do it what's the big deal." You can be ultra competitive without being an asshole.

I agree in theory. But so many of the great athletes have been complete dicks. Larry Bird: Asshole. Roger Clemens: cheating Asshole. Babe Ruth: asshole. Michael Jordan: Asshole. Bobby Knight: Asshole. I think if you have that mega-competitor gene you just have to completely dominate your opponent. Sure those guys were probably all really nice to folks off the court/field but during a game or in practice they were ruthless and swagger/talking smack was part of "beating" their opponent.

I don't like it though and neither should anybody else. That's why history will remember them as great competitors who were assholes.

Edit: also, I'm not calling out Tashi or any of his teammates that seems like an isolated incident to me and bad hosts always suck.

Gui_PT

I'm only a jerk when we lose unfairly against campers or power weapon hoarders. Basically, noobs that can't win fairly.

I get my Droopy Dog voice ready and let it rip.

I think the only time I shout at people/teabag at Halo is when I just plain own the enemy or like in Tashi's case whin a very tense match. I can understand why he did it.

Bregmann Roche said:
I agree in theory. But so many of the great athletes have been complete dicks. Larry Bird: Asshole. Roger Clemens: cheating Asshole. Babe Ruth: asshole. Michael Jordan: Asshole. Bobby Knight: Asshole. I think if you have that mega-competitor gene you just have to completely dominate your opponent. Sure those guys were probably all really nice to folks off the court/field but during a game or in practice they were ruthless and swagger/talking smack was part of "beating" their opponent.

I don't like it though and neither should anybody else. That's why history will remember them as great competitors who were assholes.

Edit: also, I'm not calling out Tashi or any of his teammates that seems like an isolated incident to me and bad hosts always suck.

Of course bad hosts suck. I imagine people who are really good act like assholes mostly because they can get away with it, not because they're "ultra competitive." I'm sure you've run into assholes who suck too =p. Assholes are assholes.

Tunavi

Banned
Take evade out of this game, its literally gamebreaking.

Also, Bungie may have fucked up a lot, but they updated this game once a month. 343 hasn't done a single thing to the playlists yet. I know the TU is coming, but its been over 2 months since this game has been updated.

Hydranockz said:
From how many of the 4 dudes on the team? 1.

Wait, just so its clear I never said it was more than 1 dude doing it, and I wasnt saying anything about Tashi's team or whatever. Was just saying that a lot of the hate and unsportsmanship that comes with video games is unnessicary, one guy screaming over all the "good games" ruins the mood for everyone.

That was a much different situation than your average matchmaking game, but how many people do you get screaming and stuff in the post game lobby. It sucks. Im not isolating this on Tashi's teammate Im just generally making a comment that I hate that sorta attitude in general.

Damn big deal over something so minor lol. Gone on a huge tangeant here but after the game my point was that you can cheer and be happy without having to be a dick to the opponents. If those opponents where dicks to you in the first place as Tashi said they where then fair play give them hell lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think it's safe to say with OT6 everything has been complained about, 15 times over.

russianboobs1198dn.gif

We should all smile more, like the girl on the left.

Devolution said:
Of course bad hosts suck. I imagine people who are really good act like assholes mostly because they can get away with it, not because they're "ultra competitive." I'm sure you've run into assholes who suck too =p. Assholes are assholes.

I'm definitely guilty of more than my fair share of "are you kidding me?"s. As things get more and more heated the pitch and frequency of the areyoukiddingme?s increases. The worst part is: I know I'm doing it and yet I can't stop myself.

Havok

LASO is done. Thanks for the useless crates of Assault Rifles and Shotguns during the far-too-long Firefight sequence, Bungie.

...jerks.

And I'm surprised that there's arguments about which game gave better damage feedback. I mean, just the fact that the shields get brighter as they get closer to popping in Reach beats Halo 3 by a damn mile.

Plywood said:
And just so Devo isn't left out, as consolation here is techno viking:

I think Devo still feels left out.

Edit: I hope we all feel left out after that one. Awful gif. Just awful. I give it 2 out of 5 skittering cats.

Hydranockz said:

If you won't admit that what Tashi's team mate did was trash talk and unsportsmanlike then I don't really have anything else to say. He was rude and acted immature, no two ways about it. I don't care if the game was 'clutch' or not, the kid still acted like an arrogant punk.

You don't see Football players screaming at their opponents when they win the superbowl, no they say what a good game they played and the respect that they have for them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bregmann Roche said:
I think Devo still feels left out.

Edit: I hope we all feel left out after that one. Awful gif. Just awful. I give it 2 out of 5 skittering cats.
I suppose you want me to make up for that one?
Devolution said:
I get the best gif. Awesome.
His dance moves are unparalleled.

Devin Olsen said:
If you won't admit that what Tashi's team mate did was trash talk and unsportsmanlike then I don't really have anything else to say. He was rude and acted immature, no two ways about it. I don't care if the game was 'clutch' or not, the kid still acted like an arrogant punk.

You don't see Football players screaming at their opponents when they win the superbowl, no they say what a good game they played and the respect that they have for them.

Yeah. And I've seen some athletes curse and sometimes it's apparent when they are cursing themselves. I did it all of the time in highschool when I played. I just had to make sure I didn't direct it at anyone in particular or keep it under my breath.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
I know about that crate, and I actually followed Tyrant's Mythic guide, so I had a full Needle Rifle as well, but it's still silly that they would force players that didn't know any better to suffer through spray-and-pray against Brutes.
I agree but you were lamenting the lack of ammo. With that crate, you have plenty.

bobs99 ... said:
Wait, just so its clear I never said it was more than 1 dude doing it, and I wasnt saying anything about Tashi's team or whatever. Was just saying that a lot of the hate and unsportsmanship that comes with video games is unnessicary, one guy screaming over all the "good games" ruins the mood for everyone.

That was a much different situation than your average matchmaking game, but how many people do you get screaming and stuff in the post game lobby. It sucks. Im not isolating this on Tashi's teammate Im just generally making a comment that I hate that sorta attitude in general.

Damn big deal over something so minor lol. Gone on a huge tangeant here but after the game my point was that you can cheer and be happy without having to be a dick to the opponents. If those opponents where dicks to you in the first place as Tashi said they where then fair play give them hell lol.
I see what you're saying. I just let the game do the talking tbh. I don't mind abuse being hurled at me in-game or even post-game because I guess I am a sucker for the "sticks and stones" mentality. People can call me every name under the sun and it won't/shouldn't bother me. If they do so in postgame lobbies, that's just their character. Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

What does alter my play is when someone on my team is flipping off the handle. That kills my game... well not entirely. I mean sure, nobody likes a bad connection or bloom but I prefer to keep myself from saying it all during the game instead of helpful callouts. I feel that the other team has bested us because they probably have their composure on their end.

Ultimately, I have fun pretty much all the time :p I can relate to, but not necessarily understand, things that cause people to get so angry on these games short of cheating. It's just water off of the duck's back for me.

Just played a game of Bro Slayer in Countdown, they were whoring sword and shotgun while camping the spawns, FULL TEAM OF ARMOR LOCKERS! Who thought it was fun?
Please, remove armor lock from Team Slayer.

victorsandoval.jpg

Devolution said:
Silly gabo, SS and TO are the real team slayers.
SS, TO and PB! Still can't believe that people playing shitty TS...

Listened to the Halo 2 soundtrack a few minutes ago. It looks like I'll try to play through Halo 2 on Legendary today.

So HaloGAF I am wondering what your opinion on this is...

I am not sure how many of you follow tricking/glitching in Halo but you may be aware that a while ago HiH shut down. That was really and truly the last spot to go for anything related to tricking in Halo.

With CEA coming out soon, I am considering starting up a website with goatrope that will be home to all tricks/glitches/skulls/terminals/speed runs related to Halo (mainly focusing on CEA). There are a lot of cool ideas that goatrope and I are tossing around at the moment, but I just honestly want to know if the interest is even there. Would you guys like something like that? It will have video tutorials for all the terminal locations, all the skull locations, all the existing Halo: CE tricks (but re-done with CEA graphics), and a lot more.

Opinions?

Gui_PT

Devin Olsen said:

I am not sure how many of you follow tricking/glitching in Halo but you may be aware that a while ago HiH shut down. That was really and truly the last spot to go for anything related to tricking in Halo.

With CEA coming out soon, I am considering starting up a website with goatrope that will be home to all tricks/glitches/skulls/terminals/speed runs related to Halo (mainly focusing on CEA). There are a lot of cool ideas that goatrope and I are tossing around at the moment, but I just honestly want to know if the interest is even there. Would you guys like something like that? It will have video tutorials for all the terminal locations, all the skull locations, all the existing Halo: CE tricks (but re-done with CEA graphics), and a lot more.

Opinions?

That is an awesome awesome idea. Is there any way I can help with any of that?

Devin Olsen said:

I totally agree, he blew the top off of his composure. That's his problem and his alone though.

There is a world of difference between getting effected by trash talkers and people like that and simply acknowledging what they are doing is 'wrong'. I just don't see why people should get 'upset' by such behaviour.

If I was on the other team I would have laughed it off or simply said nothing at all. Report him on XBL sure, but never get upset by it. That might just be me though :p

Devin Olsen said:

Opinions?
It would be a great opportunity for new players who play through Halo CE the first time. Otherwise personally I want to find every skull/terminal on my own.

Edit.: (But I'll try to contribute something to the site if it is possible)

Devin Olsen said:

Opinions?

Sounds cool. If you need some help with that, just hit me up.

Louis Wu

I wish I'd seen this when it came out, because it was right around the peak of HaloGAF's civil war about Objective Holding, but... hey, better later than never.

Halo by the Numbers, according to Virtual Shackles

Devin Olsen said:

Opinions?
I think it's an awesome idea. I also think it's a pretty enormous amount of work, and hope it doesn't overwhelm you.

Top Bottom