• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff said:
Holy shit, 343 is gonna make me earn this 52nd weekly aren't they

Pillar of Autumn LASO - 17,777cR

Lol, first thing I thought of when I saw that challenge, Frankie trolling you.

I did it solo when it was up last. Took me six hours (cumulatively)? Something like that. The last stand of the brutes..... got some amazing clips out of it though.

Gui_PT

Willeth said:
17,777 cR for one of the hardest things in the game as opposed to 30,343 for one of the easiest?

Alright, then.

Last week was a "gift"

Besides, it's not that hard. You can skip many parts of the level and use the save and quit trick.

MrBig

If we can get a party of 4 up like last time we could do it pretty quickly. Most of the encounters can be skipped and you can get up to the MAC cannon to destroy half the phantoms for the brute waves.

cory021

Neo Member
wwm0nkey said:
wow I found out what happened to me when playing Halo 3
Fuck people

EDIT: Removed link
You got my interest now :/ Could you describe what happened?

Also, on that modded forge map that was posted a few pages back, couldn't we move the objects aside and use them to forge our own spaces? Forging with all those grass pieces could be interesting.

JB1981

Tashi0106 said:
Everyone needs to watch this match. The whole thing.

Here's the setup.

Gamebattles, get into the first game. They have host and it shows. Everyone is complaining about these guys eating shots. It's definitely an issue. We take the first game though. Nice shit. 2nd game was arguably our best gametype, Sanctuary CTF. We lost 2-1, major bummer. Rubber match now, series is at 1-1 and Element Slayer isn't a gametyped we're practiced much at. I won't say anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcGxWKs8Mg

Some intense shit right there. Halo high-level play is stressful lol. There aren't many other shooters that are this competitive.

Would like to do the LASO co-op, battle-bros free this evening?

Decided to get back in Firefight, kind of abandoned it in Reach because everyone seemed to play it on their own with randoms, which I'd no interest in doing.
Okay, 2 out of the 4 quit, the two who selected Sniperfight, but I really enjoyed it. And kicked ass.

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
If we can get a party of 4 up like last time we could do it pretty quickly. Most of the encounters can be skipped and you can get up to the MAC cannon to destroy half the phantoms for the brute waves.
Might be interested in doing this... Never really could do that MAC exploit.

Well, now I've got a Pillar of Autumn SLASO save. Thanks to all those skulls, got a new Solo Campaign High Score, and I can run through the MAC Cannon section like a champ.

Tashi0106 said:
Everyone needs to watch this match. The whole thing.

Here's the setup.

Gamebattles, get into the first game. They have host and it shows. Everyone is complaining about these guys eating shots. It's definitely an issue. We take the first game though. Nice shit. 2nd game was arguably our best gametype, Sanctuary CTF. We lost 2-1, major bummer. Rubber match now, series is at 1-1 and Element Slayer isn't a gametyped we're practiced much at. I won't say anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcGxWKs8Mg

Awesome match! I could see the lag with that nade near the end :lol.

If anybody wants to party up in a few hours, send me a message on Robbert014.

I imagine the link was a guy walking up and rubbing up against monkey then comitting suicide and it counts as a betrayel, then he got booted. Who gives a fuck Halo 3 is terrible. That BR was pure shit unless you had host. It was completely obvious every MLG game when one kid went +15 and the rest went near even.

H2 > Reach > H3 FOREVER.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Holy shit, 343 is gonna make me earn this 52nd weekly aren't they

Pillar of Autumn LASO - 17,777cR
It was worth 18,000 the first time around. Neater number but it made me smile that it was just a smidgen less.

I don't think I'll be up for this, PoA was brutal last time. I think it would be better to roll the LASO runs around as daily Challenges than weekly ones at this point.

feel

xxjuicesxx said:
I imagine the link was a guy walking up and rubbing up against monkey then comitting suicide and it counts as a betrayel, then he got booted. Who gives a fuck Halo 3 is terrible. That BR was pure shit unless you had host. It was completely obvious every MLG game when one kid went +15 and the rest went near even.

H2 > Reach > H3 FOREVER.
Is that post-CEA Reach or something? Reach with the bloom spam and people eating shots is laughable... such messy gunfights, even in mlg event streams they look like crap

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
It was worth 18,000 the first time around. Neater number but it made me smile that it was just a smidgen less.

I don't think I'll be up for this, PoA was brutal last time. I think it would be better to roll the LASO runs around as daily Challenges than weekly ones at this point.

It looks like due to timing I might have to push completing Weekly #52 off until Tuesday. If you're around later Tuesday then you can join as a 4th if we need one.

I'm patient enough to set up all the skips and door blocks. Poor elites refuse to kick boxes out of the way (grunts will happily climb over them, though)

xxjuicesxx said:

H2 > Reach > H3 FOREVER.

Your weird. Then again Halo 3 didnt have armour lock so I can see why you put Reach ahead of it. :p

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
It looks like due to timing I might have to push completing Weekly #52 off until Tuesday. If you're around later Tuesday then you can join as a 4th if we need one.

I'm patient enough to set up all the skips and door blocks. Poor elites refuse to kick boxes out of the way (grunts will happily climb over them, though)
Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm going to keep an eye open for lower-stress Challenges. I really didn't enjoy PoA LASO.

I'm going to be on Reach a bit less for a while, as I want to work through my last three ranks mostly post-TU. When Deus Ex arrives late this week or early next I'll probably take a long break from it.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm going to keep an eye open for lower-stress Challenges. I really didn't enjoy PoA LASO.

I'm going to be on Reach a bit less for a while, as I want to work through my last three ranks mostly post-TU. When Deus Ex arrives late this week or early next I'll probably take a long break from it.

Aw. I don't mind tugboating people through challenges.

I'm the opposite. I want to get as many games in pre-TU as possible.

Farooq

Banned
Letters said:
Is that post-CEA Reach or something? Reach with the bloom spam and people eating shots is laughable... such messy gunfights, even in mlg event streams they look like crap

Yea, Halo 3 had it's problems (random spread, melee lunges, equipment etc...) but the core still represented classic halo.

The golden triangle, has been completely fucked in Reach.

Grenades - Overpowered with respect to weapons. The behave strange, and have a fucked up arc/easier arc, where a 65 year old grandparent could probably stick someone.

Weapons - Bloom make kill times especially slow. It is a lot harder to tell if your shots are hitting compared to Halo 3. Because of this, 1 v 1 scenarios like you said are just messy and strange.

Melee - The bleed through makes fights confusing and unclear. Not to mention the animation takes forever to end. In Halo 3 the animation was buttery smooth and a lot faster. While in Reach, I avoid melees all together, it's not worth it.

Not to say Halo 3's triangle was great, it had several issues as well. However it was far more playable than Reach's current formula.

The TU is working on two parts of that triangle, which is encouraging.

I don't know most of my shots hit. I tend to get MVP a lot. I can't complain.

Are you guys pacing your shots right? I've played on like two bad hosts (one was from Japan, the other was either a bad host or I kinda think they were standbying in some form) the last ~70 ish games.

Haven't posted a gameplay in awhile but I liked this one. I had some solid quickscopes right in the beginning. Then we just objective hold and dongblain some kids for awhile.

If the doors of BK's were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.

Farooq

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I don't know most of my shots hit. I tend to get MVP a lot. I can't complain.

Are you guys pacing your shots right? I've played on like two bad hosts (one was from Japan, the other was either a bad host or I kinda think they were standbying in some form) the last ~70 ish games.

Haven't posted a gameplay in awhile but I liked this one. I had some solid quickscopes right in the beginning. Then we just objective hold and dongblain some kids for awhile.

For me it's a combination of bloom, and the way the spartan shield registers a hit that makes it less clear than it was in Halo 3.

Halo 3, I could tell if one bullet of my spread hit a dude. In Reach, I am unclear which sometimes affects my decision making, because I don't know how much I damaged my opponent.

I guess I should attribute it to me being less familiar with Reach, but to me the shot registration feels less intuitive.

Louis Wu said:
Hell of a comeback there, dude!
Good comeback, your one teammate is exactly the type of person that makes me hate hyper competive Halo though. Instead of "GG" or something similar he screams "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? OMG" when they win. No need for that.

edit: juices you getting on anytime soon?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome vid Tashi.

And I'm sure as hell not doing the Weekly this week, haha. Don't want to put myself through that.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:

If I continued playing at the pace I was pre-PAX, I'd be Inheritor before the end of the year. I did the maths. Since I'm going to be playing anyways after the TU, I might as well have something left to work toward. Deus Ex makes for a nice excuse to take a break. I'll still hop on for the odd Firefight Challenge, though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks guys.

And Devin, you gotta put yourself in our shoes. We had no right winning that series, on that host and finishing it off the way we did. You have to talk shit.

Edit: in normal gamebattles matches we usually just say Good game. This one was different.

Tashi0106 said:
Thanks guys.

And Devin, you gotta put yourself in our shoes. We had no right winning that series, on that host and finishing it off the way we did. You have to talk shit.

Edit: in normal gamebattles matches we usually just say Good game. This one was different.

Dude to be fair he could have done the whole excited cheering shit afterwards. In Halo you can get away with screaming at people but imagine what would have happened to your teammate for that screaming after a football match or something lol.

Honestly, the dude made me cringe. Competitive Halo WOULD be a lot more fun without people taking it just that seriously. Dont get me wrong I know how it is, I have friends who did the same shit after an incredibly tense high level game, but personally I think its unnessicary. I always feel like I should be sending xbl messages apologising for it lol. Fair enough I have never played in an MLG tournament, but ive played matchmaking pretty competietvly and more importantly ive played in competitive customs against some amazing players, and even after winning I have never felt the need to be a dick towards them lol.

Not gonna lie, I thought he was talking to you guys for some reason, didnt realise he was saying it to the other team when I watched it.

Farooq said:
For me it's a combination of bloom, and the way the spartan shield registers a hit that makes it less clear than it was in Halo 3.

Halo 3, I could tell if one bullet of my spread hit a dude. In Reach, I am unclear which sometimes affects my decision making, because I don't know how much I damaged my opponent.

I guess I should attribute it to me being less familiar with Reach, but to me the shot registration feels less intuitive.

Theres a good amount of visual reaction to shots in this game. Each shot hit makes a darker golden outline on a spartan on the fourth waves of gold pop out saying hey shields have been popped. When a player is no shields and getting body shots he gets audibly loud yells as opposed to just mild grunts. I think this game does the best of all Halo games to tell the other player whats happening.

If you aren't getting a gold outline it just means your shots aren't hitting and you need to pace longer.

The problem with the BR spread was yea it would show shots hitting but HOW MANY? and that mattered because you needed to know that stuff. With the 1shot DMR its clear its either a miss or hit.

I think that guy on Tashi's team was funny. Don't take Halo so serious. Adaption.

Tashi0106 said:
Thanks guys.

I have been in your shoes, I played Halo 2 super competitively (Played with the Ogres, Fonzi, Foulacy, Strangepurple, etc) I am well aware of how it feels to win after a clutch comeback. But I can say with certainty that I never trash talked like that, there was never any need for it. If you really did have no right winning the series your team should have been GRACIOUS and overjoyed with winning, instead he acted like a douchebag.

edit: While I am not really into the game, I appreciate watching SC matches. The players are always VERY polite after losing/winning and will always shake hands or say GG after the match is complete. Players that don't say GG or 'rage quit' are honestly labeled as rude/bad players. I wish that was more the case with Halo, it would probably make me get back into competitive Halo.

feel

FyreWulff said:
2lut95f.jpg

I keep imagining this character typing your posts.

Tashi

bobs99 ... said:
Dude to be fair he could have done the whole excited cheering shit afterwards. In Halo you can get away with screaming at people but imagine what would have happened to your teammate for that screaming after a football match or something lol.

Honestly, the dude made me cringe. Competitive Halo WOULD be a lot more fun without people taking it just that seriously. Dont get me wrong I know how it is, I have friends who did the same shit after an incredibly tense high level game, but personally I think its unnessicary. I always feel like I should be sending xbl messages apologising for it lol.

Not gonna lie, I thought he was talking to you guys for some reason, didnt realise he was saying it to the other team when I watched it.
You don't think sports athletes talk shit to each other? We just don't hear it. And usually there's no fighting because guys don't want to get a penalty/flag throw/technical foul. It's super competitive, we're trying to win every Gamebattles match. If we make top 12 we can get a sponsor for Orlando. It's a huge emotional swing. When I got that last kill I stood up and fuckin threw my fist in the air lol. I then proceeded to boot those guys out of the party for losing like that.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.

Tashi0106 said:
Whatever, it doesn't matter.

Yeah.

All im saying is it sucks that in Halo people have to scream at the opponents instead of celebrating a win with teammates. Im not trying to go on some personal tirade here Tashi, I have friends who do the same stuff and I just dislike it is all. I suppose you guys where in a high pressure situation and circumstances where different. but the guys who do that stuff after every game no matter the opponent suck.

Tashi

I'm telling you, it's because of the host and how we won at the end. Everyone had an issue with it on our team. The anger and hate just built up the entire series and at the end with a win like that it just exploded. In normal circumstances we don't act like that, trust me. I've told my teammates before that I'm not trying to burn bridges, I'm trying to build them.

Tawpgun

Louis Wu said:
Hell of a comeback there, dude!
I've seen better.

No I haven't. gg Tashi.

Anyway, my TV says it has a 5 ms response time. I googled it and apparently that was deemed good for gaming. I tested out some campaign and it felt ... Different, but I think its just me getting used to the bigger and widescreen TV.

For some reason it won't recognize my Xbox connection, hopefully I just have to register it and that will be solved.

Louis Wu

Tha Robbertster said:
I don't think this has been posted already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMbBqxtJNq4&feature=player_embedded

source site: http://www.bentllama.com/animation.html

Apperently, it is some animation stuff from Halo 4 (I'm pretty sure about this sinde we see a scout armor and an AR) posted by one of the animators on his personal site. I don't know if this Nate Walpole actually works at 343 but his page at halo.wikia says he apperently left Bungie.

Some weird stuff we see in the video, not sure if I like it but it's a bit early to jump to conclusions now.
Nate left 343 last year; he's working at ZeniMax Online Studios now.

His version of the clip says it's previs animation, one of many sample 'throwaway' story ideas. I think it's more about showing his animation skill than about telling the Halo 4 story.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Anyway, my TV says it has a 5 ms response time. I googled it and apparently that was deemed good for gaming. I tested out some campaign and it felt ... Different, but I think its just me getting used to the bigger and widescreen TV.
It could feel different because it has input lag. Or maybe it doesn't and your old display did. Know the exact model number for it?

Input lag and Display Response is different. Big TV's aren't good for MP gaming though, I wouldn't even try. You want a 18-24 inch monitor for gaming that you can see the entire thing at once.

Karl2177

A27 Tawpgun said:
Try looking through the settings for a gaming mode. I had the issues on my parent's tv before I found the setting.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm telling you, it's because of the host and how we won at the end. Everyone had an issue with it on our team. The anger and hate just built up the entire series and at the end with a win like that it just exploded. In normal circumstances we don't act like that, trust me. I've told my teammates before that I'm not trying to burn bridges, I'm trying to build them.

I can completely empathise with that. Getting donged for a while because their shots are literally doing more damage than yours, then killing them/winning the match despite that, makes you feel like shooting a big, triumphant fuck you their way. Not in a nasty way, just in a 'they had an unfair advantage over me and I still beat them' way.

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
Input lag and Display Response is different. Big TV's aren't good for MP gaming though, I wouldn't even try. You want a 18-24 inch monitor for gaming that you can see the entire thing at once.
This is good advice. Completely avoid anything larger than 32" if you're going to be gaming on it regularly.

Gaming modes reduce post processing to lower response time.

Louis Wu said:
Nate left 343 last year; he's working at ZeniMax Online Studios now.

His version of the clip says it's previs animation, one of many sample 'throwaway' story ideas. I think it's more about showing his animation skill than about telling the Halo 4 story.

Aah, okay. I already thought it looked kinda out of place for a Halo game.

FyreWulff said:

wat

I'm playing Black Ops (BLACK OPS!) to tide me over until the TU hits. It's like my only other Multiplayer game besides Halo 3, and that game makes me sad because it's so laggy for me.

Top Bottom