• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

kylej

Banned
Dani said:
Lop-sided teams due to quiters, facing a team of five star Generals on Sandtrap Heavies. FML

Halo 3 just launched. Please give the matchmaking system time to pair your 'hidden' TrueSkill with that of other similarly skilled players. The more you play, the more even your games will be.

It's a shame that people have such little patience these days.

wwm0nkey

Header_Headlong.jpg

needs to be here right now :(

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Bloom sucks. I'm done with this game
21l60r7.jpg

Tashi0106 said:
Lol i'm just kidding. Reach is the fuckin best. Lol noobs.
a2do49.jpg

345iyj9.jpg

Since CEA's 3d was being pimped with LG 3d cinema TVs, I bet dual play is one of the unannounced features in CEA. Would be pretty awesome to play same screen Halo CE coop like this with my friend who used to play Halo1 coop with me back then, in the sweet LW9800 I plan to purchase later this year.

edit-

just impulse ordered
x44pld.jpg

id7qdu.jpg

halogaf owns me

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Everyone needs to watch this match. The whole thing.

Here's the setup.

Gamebattles, get into the first game. They have host and it shows. Everyone is complaining about these guys eating shots. It's definitely an issue. We take the first game though. Nice shit. 2nd game was arguably our best gametype, Sanctuary CTF. We lost 2-1, major bummer. Rubber match now, series is at 1-1 and Element Slayer isn't a gametyped we're practiced much at. I won't say anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcGxWKs8Mg

I go to the lake for 2 days and come back to a crazy amount of HaloGAF catch up to do. That Halofest waypoint video was pretty rad. I somehow snuck in there 3 times and Ramirez was a whopping 0 because he was puking in the parking lot all night which was the suck:( It was kinda cut off in the video but Omlet had objective holding FTW on that white board haha.

wwm0nkey

Apparently those Halo 2 (PC) ranked servers are still being worked on (modding community) and its actually almost done apparently. So Halo 2 on the PC will FINALLY have ranked matches :D

Ramirez

Captain Blood said:
I go to the lake for 2 days and come back to a crazy amount of HaloGAF catch up to do. That Halofest waypoint video was pretty rad. I somehow snuck in there 3 times and Ramirez was a whopping 0 because he was puking in the parking lot all night which was the suck:( It was kinda cut off in the video but Omlet had objective holding FTW on that white board haha.

:(

A27 Tawpgun said:
One that works. Hopefully. Bought it at Target. Still in the box.

I'm really disappointing in this post as well... the knowledge of various people here and in other communities could have helped you get a higher quality TV for a cheaper price I bet.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm really disappointing in this post as well... the knowledge of various people here and in other communities could have helped you get a higher quality TV for a cheaper price I bet.

I'm sorry for your loss.
1. I don't even know about the quality of the thing.
2. Target doesn't exactly have a great selection. Felt like buying it now. Split the cost. The box looks cool.

Those Samsung smart TV's with like no edges look pretty nasty. I wish I would have got that instead but I got a really really good deal on my 46" Bravia 2011 model.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
Since CEA's 3d was being pimped with LG 3d cinema TVs, I bet dual play is one of the unannounced features in CEA. Would be pretty awesome to play same screen Halo CE coop like this with my friend who used to play Halo1 coop with me back then, in the sweet LW9800 I plan to purchase later this year.
Actually "dual play" has been out for awhile, it can be done on pretty much any 3D TV that can do top bottom 3D

works for ANY game as well.

Video of it working on Gears of War

I will probably end up getting a 3D TV just to do Co-op like that to be honest XD

feel

wwm0nkey said:
Actually "dual play" has been out for awhile, it can be done on pretty much any 3D TV that can do top bottom 3D

works for ANY game as well.

Video of it working on Gears of War

I will probably end up getting a 3D TV just to do Co-op like that to be honest XD
Nice, always wondered what was the use for the top and bottom modes in some of the tvs with 3d I have. Hope there's a native mode in CEA though, where you end up with the proper single player FOV for both players (not cropped, not stretched)

Ken

GhaleonEB said:
I'd honestly forgotten how good Halo 3 multiplayer was. Neutral Assault on Valhalla....good lord. Perfection.

Are you still on Halo 3? I'd be up for some games if you are.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
Nice, always wondered what was the use for the top and bottom modes in some of the tvs with 3d I have. Hope there's a native mode in CEA though, where you end up with the proper single player FOV for both players (not cropped, not stretched)
Honestly after finding out about this, I kind of want 3D TV's to become standard just to get this kind of mode in every game.

Tunavi

Banned
Devolution said:
Introducing the ragequit medal. Kill someone and they quit less than 30 secs later, earn your ragequit medal. Most coveted medal ever.
don't even credit me for the idea. thanks.

get on people

Ramirez

lol, so I disconnected about 3 times two nights ago, been on "probation" since then, just get into a game where we're all stuck in blackscreen for a good 5 minutes, then it boots all of us back to the menu, and now I'm temporarily banned from MM. What an absurdly broken system.

Merguson

Banned
Ramirez said:
lol, so I disconnected about 3 times two nights ago, been on "probation" since then, just get into a game where we're all stuck in blackscreen for a good 5 minutes, then it boots all of us back to the menu, and now I'm temporarily banned from MM. What an absurdly broken system.

Welcome to Reach.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:

Here's the setup.

Gamebattles, get into the first game. They have host and it shows. Everyone is complaining about these guys eating shots. It's definitely an issue. We take the first game though. Nice shit. 2nd game was arguably our best gametype, Sanctuary CTF. We lost 2-1, major bummer. Rubber match now, series is at 1-1 and Element Slayer isn't a gametyped we're practiced much at. I won't say anything else.

You did get wreaked, but the ending was worth watching all the way through. Nice job.

Semi-related, we had a huge comeback tonight in Halo 3. BTB Slayer, Avalanche. They get both Hornets and tear us up pretty good, we go down by over a dozen with 4 minutes left. Around 3 minutes left we take their vehicles out and begin to crawl back. I pick up rockets and head to their base and tear through it with the rest of the team, we win by 4, only pulling ahead in the last 30 seconds.

I missed that game. Not getting pinged from all sides of the map, huge man cannon jumps with no fall damage, much better vehicle balance....so much in that game is just so spot on.

wwm0nkey

Cool apparently people found a glitch in Halo 3 where I magically betray them half way across the map with out ever touching them. I mean that is just the coolest thing ever.

I really hate a vast majority of the Halo community sometimes :/

Tashi0106 said:

Here's the setup.

Reminds me of my halo 3 mlg days. Every game i joined a mlg playlist game that wasnt against pros/semi-pros they would just lag switch me to get there 50's lol. Great comeback, that connection was awful.

Roche

Hypertrooper said:
btw. Roche guy: YOU NEED DEFINITELY THE DLC MAPS! Buy the Defiant mappack pls. If I lived in the USA, I would pm you already a code... :/

Yeah I'm sorry about that situation, I only recently started playing Reach again and I'm kind of broke right now. I hate that we need to play not so great playlists while I'm around.

I'll get 'em eventually I'm sure, so until then I'll stick to playing Deus Ex

Back home after visiting family and now I'm at work. Just did a speed perusal of this thread to see what i missed. Too many flippin pages. When do the beta hoppers come out? Is it mid-September or the day before October
please don't say it's the latter :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks. I wish I played better but it was tough playing on that host man.

Ghaleon, you're puttin up some stats huh? Do you feel like Halo 3 is easier?

wwm0nkey said:
Cool apparently people found a glitch in Halo 3 where I magically betray them half way across the map with out ever touching them. I mean that is just the coolest thing ever.

I really hate a vast majority of the Halo community sometimes :/

Kept running into douchebags in SS who would vote for Slayer on Countdown just to be "contrary."

Didn't do them a bit of good though.

Douchebag Group 1

Douchebag Group 2

Which reminds me of two points. (One) I don't understand why squad slayer isn't DMR and AR start. Surely any stats would tell you people pick up long range precision weapons even when they vote for that crap. (Two) I think the first tie vote should result in a new selection, if it still ties, then yeah it can be whatever stupid crap is on top.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
Thanks. I wish I played better but it was tough playing on that host man.

Ghaleon, you're puttin up some stats huh? Do you feel like Halo 3 is easier?
I wouldn't say easier. We got demolished in a team slayer game (Last Resort), and beaten in a CTF game (Sandbox). And we rolled in a three games, including that Avalanche game (I went +10 thanks to whoring rockets/laser).

I think Halo 3 is more fair. In the games we lost, we deserved to lose. When I got out BR'd is was because they got the jump on me or juked/strafed better than I did. I never once cursed the game mechanics (other than 'whoops that was the wrong button' a few times) or felt like I got a kill I didn't earn. And even though we lost, I had fun.

With Reach, even when I win it's often not very fun. And I feel like I'm constantly battling the core game mechanics, the game is constantly pushing back against basic actions such as pointing and shooting and jumping and dodging. Blood put it best when he felt like the shackles came off going back to Halo 3 and we could just play. Jumps that looked like we could make were made, strafing had an effect, firing was about the dance between distance, aim and selection. There's a purity and freedom to Halo 3's combat (and all the other Halos) that is lost in Reach.

Here's something else lost in Reach: tactical use of power weapons in BTB. They got a Banshee up on Valhalla, I snagged our Missile Pod and moved into position, ambushing it and taking it down. They brought a Warthog and Chopper tearing us up, I went for the Power Drain and dropped the 'Hog. They got two Hornets up on us, I went for a Warthog and then a turret, when we took them down. I was constantly reacting to what the other team was doing by seeking out specific weapons to try and counter their tactics. There was this constant game of chess being played in BTB.

With Reach, none of these kind of moves and counters ever take place. I'm never thinking about how to counter what they're doing and don't have these kind of 'they are doing this, so I'm going to counter with this' situations. I just DMR the Warthog, or DMR the Ghost, or we bum rush a position....Halo 3 felt like we had to move and strategize as a team much more, and got rewarded more for doing so. Weapons and vehicles felt like they had much more clearly defined roles. Reach's BTB just feels sloppy and chaotic by comparison.

GhaleonEB said:
Here's something lost in Reach: tactical use of power weapons. They got a Banshee up on Valhalla, I snagged our Missile Pod and moved into position, ambushing it and taking it down. They brought a Warthog and Chopper tearing us up, I went for the Power Drain and dropped the 'Hog. They got two Hornets up on us, I went for a Warthog and then a turret, when we took them down.

There was this constant game of chess being played in BTB. With Reach, none of that kind of moves and counters ever take place. I'm never thinking about how to counter what they're doing. I just DMR the Warthog, or DMR the Ghost, or we bum rush a position....Halo 3 felt like we had to move and strategize as a team much more, and got rewarded more for doing so.

Were you there when I said there's something rather inherently messed up about the best counter to vehicles being the sniper (and not because it kills passengers)?

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:
Were you there when I said there's something rather inherently messed up about the best counter to vehicles being the sniper (and not because it kills passengers)?
I think you've expressed the sentiment a often, because I've heard it from you a few times. :lol

And I share it. Every time the helpful hint about how sniper rifles "wreak vehicles" pops up, I cringe a bit. That was a very poor design decision and entirely indicitive of Reach's BTB game.

Roche

wwm0nkey said:
wow I found out what happened to me when playing Halo 3

Removed*

Fuck people

Surprised it took this long for people to figure out how to do that, I'm very glad it didn't happen in Halo 3's heyday.

wwm0nkey said:
wow I found out what happened to me when playing Halo 3

Fuck people

Wanna edit out that link? I still play Halo 3 a lot, putting that up on Gaf is opening it up to a ton of people to go try out.

If that happened on Reach for sure 343 would try and fix it, but Halo 3 is past that kind of support now. :(

wwm0nkey said:
I mean coming back to Halo 3 like that kind of killed my urge to play it :/
I like how the excuse they use is that they're getting rid of bad teammates. I've been fortunate not to have experienced that when I've played. But mostly, it's just really hard to do Halo3 when compared to Reach's smoother network code. I don't jump into Halo3 matchmaking unless I've got a friend that really wants to play.

EDIT: I removed the link as well.

Booties

Banned
kylej said:
Halo 3 just launched. Please give the matchmaking system time to pair your 'hidden' TrueSkill with that of other similarly skilled players. The more you play, the more even your games will be.

welcome to earth

Gui_PT

kylej said:

emile__s_old_job_by_kennuhisaki-d48wpjb.jpg

Tashi0106 said:

Here's the setup.

lol Tashi died more than once.
I love endings like that.

Top Bottom