• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

If you ever want to do something in a semi serious manner, I play keyboard and Zalinkrow plays the geetah. I haven't done the Bard Training quests in Skyrim yet though.

I play piano/keys passably. I'm terrible at guitar and I haven't played trumpet since middle school (although I was pretty good then).

I tried teaching myself violin in college but my roommates and neighbors shut that down pretty quickly. For a complete novice like me, getting a good sound out of a violin is hard enough as it is - trying to play quietly just makes it worse.

I know Fyrewulff rocks a base guitar (well in Rock Band at least).

99 red balloons 85 percent bloom

And Alison released the art:
bWfrc.jpg

So awesome... So who is going to give me a few thousand bucks? I need a real sparth art on my wall.

Edit.: Sigh. JakeWheeler wants it too. No chance to get it now...

I'm a little late with this, but it should be noted that Bungie didn't place a Banshee on Pinnacle. So yeah. That's one less map 343 has to worry about.

daedalius

And Alison released the art:
bWfrc.jpg

So awesome... So who is going to give me a few thousand bucks? I need a real sparth art on my wall.

Edit.: Sigh. JakeWheeler wants it too. No chance to get it now...

I have been thus far unable to dissect Sparth's techniques at all.

I guess in Structura 2 he has some walkthroughs of his work, but unless it has accompanying description, I'll be just as confused as looking at his 'step-by-step' of the cryptum cover ;)

I have been thus far unable to dissect Sparth's techniques at all.

I guess in Structura 2 he has some walkthroughs of his work, but unless it has accompanying description, I'll be just as confused as looking at his 'step-by-step' of the cryptum cover ;)
Step-by-step? Can you post it please?

MrBig

I wonder if the forum will auto-size this, haha

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/10/stepbystep-cryptum-cover-sparth.jpg[img]

LOTS of textured brushes... that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Looks like he does his base brushwork on several layers using standard and grunge brushes, then uses those layers as masks for color and grunge textures.

Reach had no legs man.

I'll be interested to see how Halo 4 fares in terms of both sales and player retention.

But it just might be time to accept that the market has moved on.

The fact is, people have been playing Halo for 10 years. The core gameplay conceits are still the same. And they're great for people who love them. But 10 years is a long time to be playing one game. Quake didn't retain its popularity for 10 years, and you can't argue that the reason it lost fans was because of gameplay issues. People forget that Call of Duty as we currently know it, has only been around for 5 years - they're cranking them out, the formula has still only been around and widely played for HALF as long as the Halo formula.

Random analogy, but stick with me. A few years ago, phones like the Motorola Razor (sp?) were hot shit. Everybody wanted simple, super-thin, sleek-looking phones. These phones kept getting better and better at what they were supposed to be, but then something happened - people changed from wanting super thin, to wanting smart phones - specifically the touch-screen variety.

The Razr and phones of that ilk were still awesome at what they were supposed to be, but what they were supposed to be wasn't what people wanted anymore. And no matter how many tweaks, cool additions, or what have you, you're not going to be able to sell the Razr to the iphone market, without completely changing what the Razr (and phones like it) actually IS.

TL;DR version: There might not be a way for Halo to regain the popularity and supremacy it once had without SIGNIFICANTLY changing the core of what Halo is. And right now, that probably means making it more like Call of Duty.

We shall see.

monome

TL;DR version: There might not be a way for Halo to regain the popularity and supremacy it once had without SIGNIFICANTLY changing the core of what Halo is. And right now, that probably means making it more like Call of Duty.

We shall see.

I've been ranting about this ever since my first post here.
I've placed much faith in 343 not going the COD way, and would rather see them set Halo as an entertainment brand to get multiple income sources and thus offset the price of making a good game.

What the fuck is on the poster by sparth?

I'll be interested to see how Halo 4 fares in terms of both sales and player retention.

But it just might be time to accept that the market has moved on.

The fact is, people have been playing Halo for 10 years. The core gameplay conceits are still the same. And they're great for people who love them. But 10 years is a long time to be playing one game. Quake didn't retain its popularity for 10 years, and you can't argue that the reason it lost fans was because of gameplay issues. People forget that Call of Duty as we currently know it, has only been around for 5 years - they're cranking them out, the formula has still only been around and widely played for HALF as long as the Halo formula.

Random analogy, but stick with me. A few years ago, phones like the Motorola Razor (sp?) were hot shit. Everybody wanted simple, super-thin, sleek-looking phones. These phones kept getting better and better at what they were supposed to be, but then something happened - people changed from wanting super thin, to wanting smart phones - specifically the touch-screen variety.

The Razr and phones of that ilk were still awesome at what they were supposed to be, but what they were supposed to be wasn't what people wanted anymore. And no matter how many tweaks, cool additions, or what have you, you're not going to be able to sell the Razr to the iphone market, without completely changing what the Razr (and phones like it) actually IS.

We shall see.

I think the most important thing that Halo can learn from Call of Duty is not in the gameplay, but the player investment system.

haha that's great

I'm looking at this on my phone, but is that the Seventh Column symbol near the bottom left corner of the new Sparth art? It might just be spotlights that look like it or something.

I'm looking at this on my phone, but is that the Seventh Column symbol near the bottom left corner of the new Sparth art? It might just be spotlights that look like it or something.
Heh, I had the same thought.

It's the opening on the Dark Planetoid, so what you're seeing is the bright light from whatever is inside.

In this pic it looks very much like the portal structure on Earth in Halo 3.

Top Bottom