• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

The pro pipe must be in Halo 4

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=25394082&player=The Henery

Why isn't Boom Ball the new Griffball, with its own playlist?

Brothers,

Long have I advocated for a BOOM! Ball playlist, yet 343 has not delivered. United, however, we can follow a new Path, one that leads to the playlist with only the Great Gametype within it.

Stand tall, and hope for a new Pro-Pipe in Halo 4.

FyreWulff

Halo Anniversary fell completely off the list. Wow.

Well let's see:

- Not advertised at ALL to people that don't go to GAF or HBO
- Allowed maps to be available the same day the game came out. I know 2 people personally that cancelled their preorder when they found out they could just get the maps the same day. (Which is perplexing since MS is the hardest user of marketing tie-ins)
- No matchmaking for campaign, meaning the people that are continually playing it day in an day out are only playing with friends.

And well.. the campaign isn't that long, either. And people probably figured out they could launch the multiplayer directly from the dash.

Well let's see:

- Not advertised at ALL to people that don't go to GAF or HBO
- Allowed maps to be available the same day the game came out. I know 2 people personally that cancelled their preorder when they found out they could just get the maps the same day. (Which is perplexing since MS is the hardest user of marketing tie-ins)
- No matchmaking for campaign, meaning the people that are continually playing it day in an day out are only playing with friends.

And well.. the campaign isn't that long, either. And people probably figured out they could launch the multiplayer directly from the dash.

What were the sales like?

Kuroyume

Banned
Look, let's not criticize them for having the maps up for everyone on day one. That is actually a good thing. And, I don't think you would have seen people in great numbers going out to buy Anniversary just so they can ger their hands on remakes of Prisoner, Damnation, and Hang em high a few weeks/months early.

I think the best way to have celebrated Halo would have been a new multiplayer only game modeled after H2 settings with maps from all the games. I understand they wanted to celebrate Halo: CE but I don't think people were clamoring for a remake of that. The original still holds up well where as Resdident Evil and MGS didn't which is why remakes of those games were welcomed.

FyreWulff

Look, let's not criticize them for having the maps up for everyone on day one. That is actually a good thing. And, I don't think you would have seen people in great numbers going out to buy Anniversary just so they can ger their hands on remakes of Prisoner, Damnation, and Hang em high a few weeks/months early.

It personally benefitted us, I'll agree. I loved it as a game player. The wait for Mythic was way too long and Mythic 2 also took too long to come out after ODST.

From a business perspective, it made little sense. Seeing as how they had already made us wait 2 months to be able to use the 3SK magnum gametype even though it existed in the TU already. Were they that impatient to be done with Anniversary support that they couldn't wait another 2 more weeks after launch to release the maps? Two weeks would have taken them past Black Friday, and people would have bought Anniversary during Black Friday sales just to get the maps early. It's like they had this plan and then just went into fuck it mode at the last second.

GhaleonEB said:
Maybe, just maybe, they were also looking at things from how how they affected the community, in deciding to release it day 1. :p

If they cared about how it would affect the community, they would have printed a second disc and put the entire multiplayer suite on it. Instead, we ended up with hilarity like the Halo 1 gametype missing from the Halo 1 Anniversary disc.

GhaleonEB

What were the sales like?

It would have been in the top 10 for November NPD were SKUs broken out separately. Doesn't sound like it did too shabby.
It personally benefitted us, I'll agree. I loved it as a game player. The wait for Mythic was way too long and Mythic 2 also took too long to come out after ODST.

From a business perspective, it made little sense. Seeing as how they had already made us wait 2 months to be able to use the 3SK magnum gametype even though it existed in the TU already. Were they that impatient to be done with Anniversary support that they couldn't wait another 2 more weeks after launch to release the maps? Two weeks would have taken them past Black Friday, and people would have bought Anniversary during Black Friday sales just to get the maps early. It's like they had this plan and then just went into fuck it mode at the last second.

Maybe, just maybe, they were also looking at things from how how they affected the community, in deciding to release it day 1. :p

Brothers,

Long have I advocated for a BOOM! Ball playlist, yet 343 has not delivered. United, however, we can follow a new Path, one that leads to the playlist with only the Great Gametype within it.

Stand tall, and hope for a new Pro-Pipe in Halo 4.

BoySaluteAP_450x350.jpg

Deja Vu.

Also Gears 3 fell down really fast.

Why? Like Steely said it's better than its predecessor and had dedi's... is anything other than a modern military setting really that repellent?

FyreWulff

Dax doesn't actually like BOOM!Ball that much. He won't participate in a BOOM!Ball tournament. Armchair boomballer.

BoySaluteAP_450x350.jpg

Why? Like Steely said it's better than its predecessor and had dedi's... is anything other than a modern military setting really that repellent?

I've often wondered the population impact from cracking down on exploits and glitches. Gears 1 and 2 had just about as bad black market as Halo 2 and 3. Wonder sometimes how many people play a game just to make money off it. Disappointed that they have to actually play the game now, they turn to the more exploitable titles.

Look at the population of Infection.. it's Slayer-only (Safe Havens was removed AGES ago), and is entirely unfair to the people you're shooting at.

MrBig

SoS

Their handling of it during the beta disgusted me enough to not buy the game and then they didn't really do too much about it in release/post-release

daedalius

Finished halo 3 campaign for like the... 6th time probably, definitely gonna say it is my favorite overall, from play spaces to environments. Gonna be hard to wait another year for master chief to get back out of that tube...

Also, I figured out how MC won't need a gunner for his 'hog in Halo 4. Engineers are sure to be on the shield-world, and one is obviously going to fix up the 'hog so it links into MCs HUD so it fires on command; which could be worked out as just firing like an AI does it in campaign.

I've often wondered the population impact from cracking down on exploits and glitches. Gears 1 and 2 had just about as bad black market as Halo 2 and 3. Wonder sometimes how many people play a game just to make money off it. Disappointed that they have to actually play the game now, they turn to the more exploitable titles.

Look at the population of Infection.. it's Slayer-only (Safe Havens was removed AGES ago), and is entirely unfair to the people you're shooting at.

Incredible that you say that because I literally had the exact same thought earlier today. I played an infection game through to completion for the first time since launch (on probation so couldn't quit) earlier; it was pure exploitation. On Damnation, the last man standing sat on the top teleporter receiver, so the only way to approach was from in front of him. This type of scenario is played out every game i've played of infection. How is it so popular?

FyreWulff

Incredible that you say that because I literally had the exact same thought earlier today. I played an infection game through to completion for the first time since launch (on probation so couldn't quit) earlier; it was pure exploitation. On Damnation, the last man standing sat on the top teleporter receiver, so the only way to approach was from in front of him. This type of scenario is played out every game i've played of infection. How is it so popular?

Well, think of CoD.. when you win, you start winning harder. Infection has that style of play too.

Hopefully if or when the community Infection variants replace the base maps in matchmaking, we'll see if people are playing because it's Infection or because it's so exploitable. I know the variant coming through for Damnation fixes the teleporter camp issue. If we could get them to reinstate Safe Havens with better settings (ie actually have a point in going to the hill), that'd be even more telling if the reintroduction of an Objective gametype would make people leave.

I played an infection game through to completion for the first time since launch (on probation so couldn't quit) earlier; it was pure exploitation.
I quit out of 7 games last night in Living Dead trying to get Condemned to show up for the achievement. How many do you need to quit to get on probation? I've never had it come up. In all the time I've played Reach.

Does it only go into effect if you quit out in game? I generally just sign out in the pre-game lobby and sign back in. Much quicker than waiting for it to start or dashboarding.

Hey You

Was playing in the 343 playdate. David is a pretty cool guy, willing to answer all the questions the lobby had and everything.

It sounds like they are playing around with Megalo and could get some new gametypes in the future.

Top Bottom