• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff

At least Microsoft can do SOMETHING right:

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_...walking/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

tl;dr they're gonna finally make Windows XP autoupdate upgrade IE6 to IE8. Before you had to manually download 7/8 for XP.

Don't know why the hell anyone would willingly still be on XP, though

re: DLC. 343 wrote themselves into a corner, and unfortunately since they've pressed that mistake onto discs, we're stuck with it.

Seriously though, what's the incentive for those who don't already own Noble or Defiant to purchase? May as well make them free and required (fuck the achievment = no free dlc bullshit)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
At least Microsoft can do SOMETHING right:

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_...walking/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

tl;dr they're gonna finally make Windows XP autoupdate upgrade IE6 to IE8. Before you had to manually download 7/8 for XP.

Don't know why the hell anyone would willingly still be on XP, though

re: DLC. 343 wrote themselves into a corner, and unfortunately since they've pressed that mistake onto discs, we're stuck with it.

More like, why the hell would someone use IE lol. XP is solid as fuck.

Good qualities in YOUR opinion. And thats fine, thats cool. Shame that Halo is moving in a direction you don't like. It's how I felt at launch/beta.

The single shot weapon bleedthrough is meh, but not that big of a deal. The rest of the TU settings are amazing and I love them.

To you, they are destroying the game, to me they are fixing it.
I never said they were destroying anything. Your words, not mine.

But let's address something:

"Good qualities in YOUR opinion."

Okay, so remind me when we had this great debate on the player feedback in Reach? Who were the detractors? While some may not find the sacrifice of damage bleed on some weapons as desirable, surely none of them argued that it worsened the feedback. The fact remains that in default Reach settings, I can determine if a player can be killed with a single melee or headshot by sound alone. Whoever doesn't find that to be outstanding is kidding themselves.

I've said it again and again. The only issues I have with the TU gametype are damage bleed and the health glitch. I should stipulate even further that I don't have a problem with damage bleed on melees in Reach, except for the fact that a melee can kill you when you still have shields. That just feels so wrong in this game. If the melee were weaker so that the damage bled through to health, but didn't kill, I would actually be okay with that, too.

The biggest problem is obviously the non-sniper headshot weapons bleeding through for headshots. If they also bled through to health, regardless of shot placement, I would be okay with that, too. Dying while you still have shields just feels wrong in this game unless you're getting hit by a sniper headshot or explosive.

I quite enjoy the Buggy TU gametypes :p
I love having the game's HUD lie to me. Nothing better than thinking I have full health because my bar is full, while I secretly have three red bars, and someone puts a single Plasma Pistol pellet and melee's me to death. Yeah, that's great.

Trey

Dying while you still have shields just feels wrong in this game unless you're getting hit by a sniper headshot or explosive.

I agree with this. Shield to death doesn't feel quite right outside of outstanding situations, like getting sniped, shotgunned in the face, or your legs blown off. I've "WTF"d a few times in TUB because of that function.

I love having the game's HUD lie to me. Nothing better than thinking I have full health because my bar is full, while I secretly have three red bars, and someone puts a single Plasma Pistol pellet and melee's me to death. Yeah, that's great.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this health glitch? It's the first I'm hearing of it (granted my halo activity has been rather low recently).

Can you elaborate a bit more on this health glitch? It's the first I'm hearing of it (granted my halo activity has been rather low recently).
In the TU gametype, when you pick up a health pack, it doesn't actually increase your health, but it reports full health on your HUD. Pair this with damage bleed on melee and you have a very broken gametype. This glitch was discovered during the TU Beta playlist's first run, and yet 343 Industries' playlist management saw fit to make it the de facto gametype for Squad Slayer, Team Objective, and Multi Team.

Trey

In the TU gametype, when you pick up a health pack, it doesn't actually increase your health, but it reports full health on your HUD. Pair this with damage bleed on melee and you have a very broken gametype. This glitch was discovered during the TU Beta playlist's first run, and yet they decided to roll it out to more playlists.

So it's functionally a placebo pack?

It doesn't happen every time though. It's pretty rare.

Shield pop as player feedback is an awareness crutch. It's not necessary with all the other feedback the game gives you.

daedalius

Unfortunately I'll bet they can't remove bleed-through for melee without removing it for bullets.

I got more annoyed by charge, double melee than the occasional bleedthrough headshot.

I love all the TU changes except bleedthrough. The default shield mechanic in Reach was my favourite in the series, and bleedthrough tramples all over it.

Also maybe the sword block, but only because the sword in Reach is silly powerful when combined with Evade or even Sprint, and having a way to mitigate that was cool.

A feedback system in a game is a crutch? ... wow.
You're dealing with pros here, man. Me, I'd prefer to play without a reticle. Or a HUD. Or both my arms. Then everyone would know I was legit when I put a dong on them.

Unfortunately I'll bet they can't remove bleed-through for melee without removing it for bullets.

I got more annoyed by charge, double melee than the occasional bleedthrough headshot.

I just hope it's possible to make game types without bleed-through and with adjusted bloom settings and all the other TU changes.

wwm0nkey

I love all the TU changes except bleedthrough. The default shield mechanic in Reach was my favourite in the series, and bleedthrough tramples all over it.

Also maybe the sword block, but only because the sword in Reach is silly powerful when combined with Evade or even Sprint, and having a way to mitigate that was cool.

No the Reach system was terrible if they had sprint they could just run at you and melee you to death if you didnt pop their shields.

FyreWulff

You're dealing with pros here, man. Me, I'd prefer to play without a reticle. Or a HUD. Or both my arms. Then everyone would know I was legit when I put a dong on them.

Personally as I play, I have a spreadsheet open on my other monitor that I plug the gun type and amount into as I play. If they don't kill me in between dropping the controller and finishing with the keyboard, I run for cover if it tells me I'm one-shot.

No the Reach system was terrible if they had sprint they could just run at you and melee you to death if you didnt pop their shields.

So.. spraying with 3 AR bullets and punching is so much better? or 3 DMR shot? All it did was replace a sprint into your face and double melee with spray and melee.

So.. spraying with 3 AR bullets and punching is so much better? or 3 DMR shot? All it did was replace a sprint into your face and double melee with spray and melee.

Easily solved by the melee not being so damn strong, in both games.

Sprint, slow killing weapons, and thunderous melee together makes no sense at all. Probably the most questionable design choice in Reach IMO.

This was hilariously ineffective like almost all of the time. I can't even remember the last time I was sprint-double-melee'd and didn't deserve it.

Reach's default shield mechanic was explicable, transparent, and best of all fair over the Internet. It also had feedback systems tied to it which are now irrelevant at best and downright deceptive at worst.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I disliked Reach's shielding from the beta onward but I've changed my opinion on it completely by now. I think I was just too used to the Halo 3 model but the default Reach model just makes the most sense - from a complexity point of view and from a visual, I can understand what the heck is happening just by looking at it, point of view.

wwm0nkey

I never said spraying 3 bullets and killing is a better system but ok then.

Sprint+ default Reach melee is a bad system
Classic's 2 shot with a plasma rifle + beat down is a bad system

Not really saying the Reach system it self is bad but when you put sprint or evade into the mix there is bound to be some shit.

EDIT: Guess what I am really saying is fuck AAs

I disliked Reach's shielding from the beta onward but I've changed my opinion on it completely by now. I think I was just too used to the Halo 3 model but the default Reach model just makes the most sense - from a complexity point of view and from a visual, I can understand what the heck is happening just by looking at it, point of view.
Using your eyes is an awareness crutch. It's not necessary with all the other feedback the game gives you.

Yeah, this is fair enough, especially as the beta had a stupidly short (read: broken) window between melees. It is a weird transition after three games, but it eventually becomes intuitive. I think people are still caught up in the "someone's charging me, better melee first" response, instead of just calmly continuing to shoot, which more often that not does the trick. It's also a case of people drawing the wrong conclusion: the problem is (was?) how the difficulty in shooting a charging enemy with five shots from a precision weapon with less autoaim than previous games and added bloom, not the double-melee itself.

But it's sort of bananas to me that players who have complained about "AR+beatdown noobs" or whatever for years are clamouring for a return to a mechanic that makes that play more viable.

daedalius

Well if we get another TU (heh), then I guess we can hope they just roll-back the bleedthrough change in the TU gametypes.

It doesn't particularly bother me either way, I did like seeing the 'CLANG' though when shields dropped. It is really annoying when Spartans have evade though, as soon as shields drop; ZOOM, gone. That's more of a problem with evade than shields though...

Maybe in the next TU they will remove evade from spartans as well.

It's also a case of people drawing the wrong conclusion: the problem is (was?) how the difficulty in shooting a charging enemy with five shots from a precision weapon with less autoaim than previous games and added bloom, not the double-melee itself.

This makes sense too. Bloom is an abomination.

*clapping.gif*

FyreWulff

Yeah, this is fair enough, especially as the beta had a stupidly short (read: broken) window between melees. It is a weird transition after three games, but it eventually becomes intuitive. I think people are still caught up in the "someone's charging me, better melee first" response, instead of just calmly continuing to shoot, which more often that not does the trick. It's also a case of people drawing the wrong conclusion: the problem is (was?) how the difficulty in shooting a charging enemy with five shots from a precision weapon with less autoaim than previous games and added bloom, not the double-melee itself.

But it's sort of bananas to me that players who have complained about "AR+beatdown noobs" or whatever for years are clamouring for a return to a mechanic that makes that play more viable.

Yeah, it took me a bit to relearn that too. You just strips their shields as they're coming in and then take them out in one punch. If you're stopping firing and just waiting for the sprint-in, then you're doing it wrong, and will trade kills.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone using XP these days is just a cave dwelling cheap ass.

You called?
3AQmK.gif

GhaleonEB

Xbox 360 LIVE Top Titles (based on unique users)
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Battlefield 3
5. FIFA '12
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
7. Halo: Reach
8. Gears of War 3
9. Madden NFL '12
10. Grand Theft Auto IV
11. Saints Row: The Third
12. Forza Motorsport 4
13. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
14. NBA 2K12
15. NHL '12
16. FIFA '11
17. Batman: Arkham City
18. Halo 3
19. NCAA Football '12
20. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare​
Interesting to see Reach over Gears 3.

Skyrim.

Xbox 360 LIVE Top Titles (based on unique users)1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
4. Battlefield 3
5. FIFA '12
8. Gears of War 3
9. Madden NFL '12
10. Grand Theft Auto IV
12. Forza Motorsport 4
14. NBA 2K12
15. NHL '12
16. FIFA '11
18. Halo 3
19. NCAA Football '12

Skyrim.

It's above gears for 2 weeks now and from the thread in gaming, its population seems to be pretty low. It seems that MW2 is also slowly descending.

And I'd never suspect Skyrim would be this popular. It is is fully deserved though.

IE9 is a great browser and W7 an even better OS.

Anyone using XP these days is just a cave dwelling cheap ass.

Yeah people that say IE9 sucks are just hating on IE to hate on IE. It's a very solid browser.

Xbox 360 LIVE Top Titles (based on unique users)
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
4. Battlefield 3
5. FIFA '12
8. Gears of War 3
9. Madden NFL '12
10. Grand Theft Auto IV
12. Forza Motorsport 4
14. NBA 2K12
15. NHL '12
16. FIFA '11
18. Halo 3
19. NCAA Football '12

Skyrim.

Shocked to see Gears 3 struggle so much. Gears 2 stayed near the top for two straight years and it was basically unplayable. Gears 3 is a better game in every way and is smooth as butter online, and it's dropping fast. (That's coming from someone that doesn't really like Gears that much)

Top Bottom