• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Striker

I think BTB should use the CoD drop in system but 4v4 and doubles shouldn't.
Another unranked BTB experience would greatly disappoint me. The abundance of guests and quitters in the social aspects of playlists are never really fun. That has been the case with BTB in Reach, and in Social BTB from Halo 3 (since Halo 3's Ranked BTB did not last long, this was the premier experience for it). Games are very rarely competitive and more often one sided. Also, they should go away from the horrendous method of duplicate playlists. Instead of having 15+, it should be 12-15 max.

You have to start looking at why people are quitting and solving those issues first. Anecdotally I've seen a lot of people quit from games where the enemy team griefs the objective only to delay the game for their own amusement and more credits. I've talked about solutions to this before, like better rewards depending on how fast you beat the other team and other ideas. Start looking into ways of encouraging people to fairly, and most importantly make sure that everyone is enjoying the game.

Obviously you are always going to have people quit because their house is on fire, or that they have to take a shit, but it's clear that this isn't the problem. Every game has quitters. Reach has A LOT.
In my recent solo forays into matchmaking, the most frequent quitting happens when people don't like what's voted on in the lobby and drop out before the game even starts (which is usually something other than Slayer). I can't see a feasible way of dangling a carrot to appease people like that. Better playlist management, sure, but when you have a playlist where objective gametypes are prominent and people quit because they want to just play Slayer... :-\

Your point?
Yeah, forgot to mention that :p
What I was trying to say was that if you join a match that's nearly finished in gears, it doesn't matter because a new round/match starts after a few seconds. In Halo 4, you'd have to either make a lobby system, similair to gear's (so you play with/against the same guys until they quit) or return to the main matchmaking hub and start searching again, which can take to over 2 minutes.

Another unranked BTB experience would greatly disappoint me. The abundance of guests and quitters in the social aspects of playlists are never really fun. That has been the case with BTB in Reach, and in Social BTB from Halo 3 (since Halo 3's Ranked BTB did not last long, this was the premier experience for it). Games are very rarely competitive and more often one sided. Also, they should go away from the horrendous method of duplicate playlists. Instead of having 15+, it should be 12-15 max.

I hated duplicate playlists back in 3, in Reach is even worse because of 343i's obsession for trying to make everyone happy.

They're even scared to apply TU Camo and Armor Lock to Team Slayer, what's the damn point?

What I'm talking about is that in Call of Duty or Battlefield you start out on an even playing field because you start out with the weapons of your choice. It isn't so much about winning in those games.

Halo is a different game from them. Halo is very much about winning, and once that hard swing has been made it is very hard to come back from, unlike in CoD or Battlefield where you respawn and have equal chance of coming back.
Okay, okay, I got this idea.

What if you started out with a weapon that allowed you to potentially beat someone in every situation, but wasn't the most effective weapon in each of these situations?

Haha not trying to be sarcastic towards you just making a general pistol/BR vindication post.

Trey

Halo is a different game from them. Halo is very much about winning, and once that hard swing has been made it is very hard to come back from, unlike in CoD or Battlefield where you respawn and have equal chance of coming back.

The key point.

Tawpgun

Gears 3 has a fantastic system.

Ranked matches are like Halo's. Just make Halo 4 ranked WITH REAL NUMBER RANKS, and make that like matchmaking is now.

Then in Social, its drop in drop out.

daedalius

Gears 3 has a fantastic system.

Ranked matches are like Halo's. Just make Halo 4 ranked WITH REAL NUMBER RANKS, and make that like matchmaking is now.

Then in Social, its drop in drop out.

Sounds fine to me.

Would make me actually want to play by myself(in social) if I knew empty slots would be filled. Playing by yourself in BTB now is just an exercise in frustration most of the time with all the quitters and guests. Might be better if the skill-matching wasn't such a joke right now. If I am playing on a team of 4 In Anniversary, we might get 1 decent game out of like... 20. The rest are just roflstomps.

Striker

I just hope they bring back weekend playlists back for halo 4.
Infection, Grifball, Rocket Race, whatever. No permanent playlists, but that's just how I'd feel about it. Knowing the past two games we'll get set fixtures which will cause a higher number of unnecessary playlists.

That's annoying thing too. Thinking "oh crap I'm playing soo good" and then you found out that you played against bots is so bad. And bots never can replace a real player.
It would help if they just bumped up the bots' difficulty a notch. But I mean they at least help a little bit sometimes, it's not like you're completely down a person when someone quits out.

What I want in Halo 4:

Playlists:
Ranked (Requires DLC, No Guests)
Team Slayer - 4v4 Team Slayer
Team Skirmish - 4v4 Objective
SWAT - 4v4 SWAT
Snipers - 4v4 Snipers
Big Team Battle - 8v8 Team Slayer, Objective, and Invasion
Double Team - 2v2 Slayer
Rumble Pit - 8 player slayer and objective free for all
MLG - 4v4 MLG Slayer and Objective
MLG FFA - 8 player slayer MLG free for all

Unranked/Social (Does Not Require DLC Unless Noted[*], Guests Allowed)
Team Training - 4v4 Team Slayer and Objective; includes variants such as SWAT, Snipers etc
Lone Wolves - 8 player slayer and objective free for all; includes variants such as zombies and race
Squad Battle - 8v8 Team Slayer and Objective
Zombies* - 16 player Zombies
Grifball* - 4v4 Grifball
Action Sack* - 4v4 Crazy Gametypes
*Requires DLC

Firefight (Requires DLC, Guests Allowed)
Firefight Classic - 4 person Team, Classic Firefight (Limited)
Firefight Arcade - 4 person Team All 'Fun' Variants
Campaign (No Guests)
Campaign MM - Finds Up To Three People To Play A SP Level​

This does not fragment the playerbase and makes for a better experience for all players. Additionally, this would encourage people to buy DLC but give them enough options to continue playing if they choose not to buy it. Ranking should be done like Halo 3 before each playlist had its own separate EXP rank (Ranked playlists have a numerical rank and the player has an EXP rank that carries over across all playlists). It might be fun to let people 'prestige' their EXP rank ala Call of Duty. When DLC is rolled out a 2 week long DLC playlist should be created to test gametypes and give the player time to buy the DLC; after the two week period DLC should be implemented in the Ranked playlists. On weekends one of the Ranked or DLC required Unranked playlists should be highlighted with Double EXP (Alternatively a Playlist could be created like Multi Team or Rocket Race for the duration of the weekend). A Credit System/Armory Store could exist with this model; credits would be payed out after Ranked and Unranked games but would not be tied to EXP or numerical rank; all armory items are available from the start.

TheOddOne

Proof of recording happening:

1YxoG.jpg

SCARY

Kuroyume

Banned
Instead of having a playlist were guests are kept away do you guys think it's possible for them to have a setting/switch in the game were you can choose to not play with guests and that setting would carry over to all playlists? Would lengthen matchmaking times I'm sure but it might be worth having as an option.

Instead of having a playlist were guests are kept away do you guys think it's possible for them to have a setting/switch in the game were you can choose to not play with guests and that setting would carry over to all playlists? Would lengthen matchmaking times I'm sure but it might be worth having as an option.
I could easily see that being used for boosters in ranked playlists though

Falagard

So guys how about that Halo Movie.

I just said that to make it seem like I'm on topic.

Hobbit Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZEOM13UyZ0A

Funny thing is that I saw the original announcement on the Hobbit Facebook page, but the link to the trailer wasn't working, and then some people posted in the comments to follow the instructions here to fix the problem:

http://twitter.com/#!/DavidEllis/status/149324500046069760

David Ellis... my Halo and Hobbit worlds collide.

Top Bottom