• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

ElRenoRaven

Not as cool as Louis Wu getting a book dedicated to himself.

Hell a book. Little did you know that at the end of Halo 4 we're finally going to see Master Chief's face. He's going to pull off the helmet and who will we see. None other then him. Just you wait and see. Louis Wu is Master Chief mark my words.

I've already got a copy of the third book in the Forerunner trilogy:

BjEo3.png

There weren't many good Snipers maps in 3, period. What's your point? Standoff sucked bad, Narrows, Construct, Rat's Nest, all terrible.

Radar on in a gametype like that only causes more camping and guys crouching behind obscure objects, and once they see the red dot, it only furthers the issue. Main reason Halo 3 Snipers sucked balls outside the putrid map selection.

Reach's version need(ed) a Pistol removal and no Sprint. Base speed increase to 120 or 110, whatever the next bump is. Sprint causes too many quick sneak attacks, aka assassinations.

I was addressing the complaint that people 'hide within the geometry'. Valhalla and High Ground were probably the worst maps for that playstyle. Anyway, Guardian was the only map where that was a half decent strategy, at S3 balcony. As for the rest in regards to Halo 3, well that's your opinion. I loved it, thought it was excellent, especially with the beam rifle in there.

The radar would not cause camping. It didn't in Halo 3. Camping is a very minor issue when you have a 10x scope, one hit kill weapon. Kids that tried to camp in Halo 3 snipes did not get far. In Snipes, you trade between scoped (can't see radar) and unscoped (radar visible, have to no-scope). Adds depth. Prevents cheap backsmacks. Guaranteed to boost the population as well seeing how a lot of Halo players are instantly turned off by no-radar gametypes.

Striker

I was addressing the complaint that people 'hide within the geometry'.
I thought Standoff is among the worst in that group, and I conveniently forgotten about that.

I suppose you're just one of those guys who likes radar on in a competitive Slayer-centric gametype where I feel it hinders the gameplay rather than help it, especially in H3 where your base speed is awfully slow and the map layouts were excessively poor. Too many bad ones to overcome the select few good ones.

Team Snipers' peak settings are with no radar, human rifle/beam rifle starts with only snipers on the map, and limited ammo so players cannot sit in one spot the entire game.

stephen08

Question: What playlists feature Highlands and which is my best chance to get it? Regular BTB?

This is a big omission with the current playlist set-up. There needs to be a 6v6 list that's always DMR starts, Objective/Slayer split with Slayer always the top option that is DLC required. Since Premium Battle was removed I do not think I have played Breakpoint, or Highlands at all. Tempest and Condemned have fared a little better showing up occasionally in Team Slayer but both maps are a little big for 4v4. Of the original DLC I would say only Anchor 9 would be ill suited to this size but even that can work and it would be nice to just have a guaranteed spot for it to come up.

Make it happen 343. Right now 4/5 maps in the original DLC either don't come up or when they do it makes for a slow game. You could even make the list use TU settings if you absolutely must.

Striker

This is a big omission with the current playlist set-up. There needs to be a 6v6 list that's always DMR starts, Objective/Slayer split with Slayer always the top option that is DLC required. Since Premium Battle was removed I do not think I have played Breakpoint, or Highlands at all. Tempest and Condemned have fared a little better showing up occasionally in Team Slayer but both maps are a little big for 4v4. Of the original DLC I would say only Anchor 9 would be ill suited to this size but even that can work and it would be nice to just have a guaranteed spot for it to come up.

Make it happen 343. Right now 4/5 maps in the original DLC either don't come up or when they do it makes for a slow game. You could even make the list use TU settings if you absolutely must.
I think putting BTB and, say, Squad Battle as DLC required. We played Squad last night and got Anchor 9 and Tempest to show up, but it isn't common at all. In Team Objective, they showed up a fair bit but with the latest gametype swings and so forth I haven't been the biggest TO fan.

For BTB I say it's better than going the 6v6 route because Highlands seems a big empty with 12 or less players. Under 16 players it is a bit more fleshed out. It would bring out another good BTB map in the fray than jamming god awful Spire and Boneyard in your throats as the recent MM changes have made them show up immediately. Disgusting.

I was addressing the complaint that people 'hide within the geometry'. Valhalla and High Ground were probably the worst maps for that playstyle. Anyway, Guardian was the only map where that was a half decent strategy, at S3 balcony. As for the rest in regards to Halo 3, well that's your opinion. I loved it, thought it was excellent, especially with the beam rifle in there.

The radar would not cause camping. It didn't in Halo 3. Camping is a very minor issue when you have a 10x scope, one hit kill weapon. Kids that tried to camp in Halo 3 snipes did not get far. In Snipes, you trade between scoped (can't see radar) and unscoped (radar visible, have to no-scope). Adds depth. Prevents cheap backsmacks. Guaranteed to boost the population as well seeing how a lot of Halo players are instantly turned off by no-radar gametypes.

Agreed with all of the above. :p

No radar in something like snipes promotes camping more, with a radar most players feel comfortable enough to push, staying still in scope just gets them caught off guard.

I thought Standoff is among the worst in that group, and I conveniently forgotten about that.

I suppose you're just one of those guys who likes radar on in a competitive Slayer-centric gametype where I feel it hinders the gameplay rather than help it, especially in H3 where your base speed is awfully slow and the map layouts were excessively poor. Too many bad ones to overcome the select few good ones.

Team Snipers' peak settings are with no radar, human rifle/beam rifle starts with only snipers on the map, and limited ammo so players cannot sit in one spot the entire game.

You'd be right too. Standoff was terrible in Snipes, which is why Shishka removed it. Impossible to get out of the spawn trap when the opposition sat atop both bases.

In an ideal world, all gametypes would be no radar. Ideal conditions are a team of four, communicating, who all know callouts. Sadly this just isn't the case for the vast majority of players in Halo. Most go in as one or a pair (I would venture) and even if you do get four guys together to play Halo, it's doubtful they all know every callout for all maps. That's why, in MM, I think a radar is important because it gives the individual a greater depth of self sufficiency without having to rely on others.

Random tangent: I wonder what happened to Moonshot Games and their title Fallen Frontier.

I played the demo at PAX East last year, it was great. Looked for them at PAX Prime but they weren't there (and haven't posted to their website or Twitter account since last March).

I hope development is still going well, when I talked to them last year they were still looking for a publisher (heck, it might be a good fit for Bungie Aerospace).

Agreed with all of the above. :p

No radar in something like snipes promotes camping more, with a radar most players feel comfortable enough to push, staying still in scope just gets them caught off guard.

Disagree with this. Radar always promotes camping no matter the game type because of the fact that campers aren't tracked by radar, yet everyone else is. Its easier for them to check surrounding areas with radar. Without radar means they have no idea when someone is coming so they must be on their toes at all times.

For example (nothing to do with snipes) on Swordbase. During the lift, what does a camper keep his eyes on when there isn't radar? There are two points of entry. Does he stay looking at the lift or does he look at the door? With radar, it wouldn't matter because it would tell him where everyone is coming from. He'll know exactly what to check at all times due to radar.

In Halo 3, snipes on construct: If a person is on lift checking streets, he can focus on that and the radar will tell him if they're coming from lobby or lift. Without radar, he won't know if someone flanks him.

Narrows snipes: If someone is on L4 or R4/attic and all 4 are dead, it's easier to check spawns if they have radar. Without radar, he would have to be on alert and check if they're spawning flag or lift.

But you're right in the sense that radar isn't as bad on snipers. I would still prefer no radar, but the difference isn't as bad as other game types I guess. It seems like it depends on the map.

I absolutely love moving all the time in an FPS, and I gotta say the addition of pointing out heights in relation to you in the radar really kills it for me. At least when it was strictly showing motion you could potentially catch someone off-guard, but knowing that they're above or below you means resorting to camping or crawling around. It's really dumb.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Random tangent: I wonder what happened to Moonshot Games and their title Fallen Frontier.

I played the demo at PAX East last year, it was great. Looked for them at PAX Prime but they weren't there (and haven't posted to their website or Twitter account since last March).

I hope development is still going well, when I talked to them last year they were still looking for a publisher (heck, it might be a good fit for Bungie Aerospace).

For real man! I've been keeping an eye on these guys for a while and now they've gone silent again. Sucks ass because Fallen Frontier looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully all is well and we will see more in 2012. It might be a good Aerospace game but I would be disappointed if it only came out on mobile devices and tablets. I wanna play that game with a controller in my hand. See: I don't own an ipad or iphone

A quote from Primordium all the way from chapter 8:

"We stared out across the mud at wan, milky sunlight, condensing over the chasm into a double--no, a triple rainbow..."

lol

Radar fix:

- Remove height indicators.
- By default you always show up on radar, even if standing still.
- Crouching prevents you from appearing on enemy radar, but it also disables your own radar.

For real man! I've been keeping an eye on these guys for a while and now they've gone silent again. Sucks ass because Fallen Frontier looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully all is well and we will see more in 2012. It might be a good Aerospace game but I would be disappointed if it only came out on mobile devices and tablets. I wanna play that game with a controller in my hand. See: I don't own an ipad or iphone
Bungie Areospace isn't limited to a specific platform. :) If the developer wants the game for Xbox Live, it will be on Xbox Live. etc.

@Hypertrooper @bungietweets BA is platform agnostic. The teams we partner with and the games they make will determine the platform.

stephen08

I think putting BTB and, say, Squad Battle as DLC required. We played Squad last night and got Anchor 9 and Tempest to show up, but it isn't common at all. In Team Objective, they showed up a fair bit but with the latest gametype swings and so forth I haven't been the biggest TO fan.

For BTB I say it's better than going the 6v6 route because Highlands seems a big empty with 12 or less players. Under 16 players it is a bit more fleshed out. It would bring out another good BTB map in the fray than jamming god awful Spire and Boneyard in your throats as the recent MM changes have made them show up immediately. Disgusting.

To me Highlands works for 6v6 because in it's current configuration it forces people to the outside edges where it's fairly easy to get around quickly.

Making BTB DLC required isn't a good solution because it's already fighting it out with Anniversary BTB which has to stay more or less in it's current configuration so it doesn't lock out Anniversary only players.

It would be nice to have more variety in BTB though. :/

Karl2177

Radar fix:

- Remove height indicators.
- By default you always show up on radar, even if standing still.
- Crouching prevents you from appearing on enemy radar, but it also disables your own radar.

I'd like more radar options, with the defaults being bracketed.
  • Radar On: [Yes] - No
  • Height indicators: Yes - [No]
  • Always on Radar: [Yes] - No
  • Crouching disables Radar: Yes - [No]
  • Scanning Radar*: Yes - [No]
*Scanning Radar would be similar to Call of Duty's, where you show up when firing.

Oh what does Hyper WANT one of those things? I thought he was mocking them. We had HUNDREDS of them.
There is a book trilogy coming when you guys get your 4th 343i Hoodie. I asked Orson Scott Card to write it. It's going to be amazing and your mind will freak out. Are you ready for the truth? The Hoodie Trilogy: Book One: Wardrobe.

In six hours, open your window and listen. If my calculations are correct, that mournful wailing you can hear outside took about 24,000 seconds to travel across the globe.
I bulit a cry corner for comment like this. It's soundproof.

Top Bottom