• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There better be a beta. Doesn't have to be public. Heck, make it HaloGAF exclusive.

Halo 4 is listed as a "Holiday", not "Fall" release as Halo 3 and Reach were. Given that, it is probably not coming out in September, but in November.

How that effects the dates of a possible public "beta" is really hard to guess. Depends what milestone build they want to use for a public test if they choose to do one.

Honestly, I don't consider a public one a given.

Or perhaps Halo 4 is so magical, it can only be made in Santa's Workshop.

heckfu

Banned
i quit haloGAF. going to join ponyGAF.

but really, i don't think there will be a beta. since this is 343's first title as a new product i think they'll launch it as such. no need to show their hand before they release it, imo.

It wasn't revealed, it was announced, just like Halo 4 was: with a teaser trailer that showed nothing of the game; just some teasers as to the premise. We are now in that space post-announcement but before we've seen the game or know what it's going to be like. I was holding up Skyrim as one way to end that period of time: by announcing the debut of the first in-game look, one day in advance.

The point being that we don't need a big awards show or convention or huge countdown to align to. Microsoft could decide to reveal the game on their own terms. Their extended silence since the announcement at E3 makes me hopeful they are doing just that.
Touche.

Tawpgun

but really, i don't think there will be a beta. since this is 343's first title as a new product i think they'll launch it as such. no need to show their hand before they release it, imo.

Sounds like the worst idea ever.

To me, it would imply they aren't confident enough to show it.

Every game that has had a beta, a public beta, has been amazing at launch.

CoD4 and CoD WAW had betas. I don't think they were public but they were easy as hell to get into.

Halo 3 and Reach had betas. Fixed a lot of map exploits for 3. (though it is my opinion the beta was the superior product) In Reach, while I miss the pistol to death, they fixed the DMR, upped movement speed and jump height, fixed the headshot hitbox, melee issues, etc.

Battlefield 3. Remember the beta we got? Holy shit was that horrible. Whether or not we got an old build or not, that was atrocious and almost all of the problems were fixed for the final game.

Gears 3 was the best beta I have ever experienced. It was smooth as a beta but it deserves recognition for how much it changed the retail product. They took two of the maps, Trenches and Thrashball, and added elements to them to make them more balanced and fun. And by elements I mean new areas and pathways. If only Reach did the same *cough* sword base. *cough*

Let's look at some offenders that didn't have betas.

Modern Warfare 2. Remember that at launch? LOL.

Gears of War 2. After playing it at launched I gave up on the series. Gears 3 Beta brought me back.

They don't have to make it 100% public. But have a big enough player base, in the hundreds of thousands, to test and give feedback.

heckfu

Banned

Maybe it is bad, maybe it's not. All the games you listed were sequels in franchises that had a well worn pattern of play. New maps added to a basic style of mechanics save a couple modifications (weapons, equipment, etc.).

Halo 4 may be based on old school Halo play (we don't know) but it's their first product as a team. I don't know of many first titles that have betas but I am kind of curious now to how many that have.

Tawpgun

I don't regard Halo 4 as a first title at all. It's more like a test to see how a new studio will steer an already established thing.

They have to prove they're capable and the best way of doing that is a beta.

FyreWulff

I don't regard Halo 4 as a first title at all. It's more like a test to see how a new studio will steer an already established thing.

I'm still thinking the first time anyone is playing Halo 4 on a mass scale is when it comes out at retail. It seems kind of late at this point to announce any tie-in game, so if a beta is coming it is (hopefully) just a goddamn download that we can all just grab.

Accessing it via Reach would make too much sense so I don't think it'd be that either.

heckfu

Banned

opinion noted, but it's microsoft. i don't think they HAVE to prove anything.

farts, i have to go back to work tomorrow. enough gaffing for me tonight.

Sounds like the worst idea ever.

To me, it would imply they aren't confident enough to show it.

Every game that has had a beta, a public beta, has been amazing at launch.

CoD4 and CoD WAW had betas. I don't think they were public but they were easy as hell to get into.

Halo 3 and Reach had betas. Fixed a lot of map exploits for 3. (though it is my opinion the beta was the superior product) In Reach, while I miss the pistol to death, they fixed the DMR, upped movement speed and jump height, fixed the headshot hitbox, melee issues, etc.

Battlefield 3. Remember the beta we got? Holy shit was that horrible. Whether or not we got an old build or not, that was atrocious and almost all of the problems were fixed for the final game.

Gears 3 was the best beta I have ever experienced. It was smooth as a beta but it deserves recognition for how much it changed the retail product. They took two of the maps, Trenches and Thrashball, and added elements to them to make them more balanced and fun. And by elements I mean new areas and pathways. If only Reach did the same *cough* sword base. *cough*

Let's look at some offenders that didn't have betas.

Modern Warfare 2. Remember that at launch? LOL.

Gears of War 2. After playing it at launched I gave up on the series. Gears 3 Beta brought me back.

They don't have to make it 100% public. But have a big enough player base, in the hundreds of thousands, to test and give feedback.

Most of the changes in any of these are just bugs though, mostly ones that would have been found (or already had been found) and fixed before release anyways. None of those titles had huge gameplay changes from the public build shared despite when feedback called for them. Map changes were great for Gears, but what about the sawed off shotgun, which was basically universally panned as an absolute travesty yet saw minimal changes? How about Armor Lock, magnum ammo, bloom fixes/consistency with Reach? Point is, most of these betas are at the stage in development when they aren't going to make any significant gameplay changes regardless of the public feedback, they are just for testing their back-end systems and finding any bugs that they weren't aware off.

Not saying that a public test is bad in any way, but I'm sure its as necessary as people say it is. I hope their is a public test build of Halo 4 made available at some point, but I don't think its a guarantee, nor do I think we should press some massive panic button if they don't do one.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think 343 will have a beta to "prove" anything. They'll have a beta because this is their first game, and their going to want to iron out the bugs. Getting a few hundred thousand beta testers would be helpful towards that goal, I imagine.

wwm0nkey

Hey guys I just remembered something, doesnt Xbox usually have an annual event next month? They used it to show off Halo Wars back in 06. Maybe we will see Halo 4 at X12?

TheOddOne

Hey guys I just remembered something, doesnt Xbox usually have an annual event next month? They used it to show off Halo Wars back in 06. Maybe we will see Halo 4 at X12?
Those X-events still exist, but nowadays it's just a preview event for games coming out that year. No announcements have been made during those events in the last two years.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Pistola and lethul are really good...that is all

Actually, I got the weekly today. I liked that one.

wwm0nkey

Those X-events still exist, but nowadays it's just a preview event for games coming out that year. No announcements have been made during those events in the last two years.

they announced the Gears of War 3 beta date at the last one. Also showing a Halo 4 trailer there would be a good way to put the event back on track, or since its usually a GDC pre-show have press have their first hands on there and show it off at GDC.

Just a thought.

TheOddOne

they announced the Gears of War 3 beta date at the last one. Also showing a Halo 4 trailer there would be a good way to put the event back on track, or since its usually a GDC pre-show have press have their first hands on there and show it off at GDC.

Just a thought.
Intresting, not getting my hopes up though :p

vhfive

Primordium ends spectacularly.

Halo 4 is gonna be pretty good, I think.

I just read The Forge of God bu Greg Bear and goddamn that book is good. I'm about to start Anvil of Stars (I hear it's awesome) and then Cryptum is next. Now if I can only find the time.

You just came to the realization that Team Snipers has been a horrible playlist in both 3 and Reach, that's all. It's Team Slayer to 50 with a weapon that promotes hiding and abusing geometry to hide your body behind a wall while still being able to shoot out.

This hiding your body behind a wall complaint hardly ever occurs, and is more a problem of the map you're playing on rather than the gametype itself. I also laugh at scrubs that use this tactic whilst I blain their mush into the asphalt. You won't get past staff captain using those tactics. Go watch some high level Snipers gameplay on Citadel/Construct/Blackout/Narrows/The Pit and tell me it's not superior strafe, co-ordinating map positioning with your teammates and straight up better shot that wins out.

fyrewulf said:
I'm not talking about skill to use the weapon, I'm talking about how I feel that Team Snipers is a boring snoozefest that was better when it was to 25, but to 50 it just turns into get ahead by 15 and everyone hide for 15 minutes.

This doesn't happen.

fyrewulff said:
[Team Snipers] offers nothing that Team Slayer doesn't already do besides starting everyone with a sniper rifle.

Read that sentence back to yourself again.

I haven't really touched the Reach version at all because I already know how it's going to play. It'll be snipers to 50. Zzzzzz. Throw some Lurkers and Snipe KotH in there and now we're talking

Are you feeling alright?

fyrewulff said:
I get enough of it somehow winning votes in Action Sack for Shotty Snipers on Hemorrhage.

Hemorrhage is the worst Snipers map in Reach and a massive disservice to the gametype.

It was fine in 2 because of no radar. Turning radar on for it in 3 caused it to become a turtle-fest. That and I remember so much of Valhalla or High Ground Snipes is people hiding behind rocks or crates, and while they can shoot you, you can't even see them because they're sucked in to the geometry.

Again, two of the worst Snipers maps in Halo 3. Radar should be turned on for Reach Snipers and pistol removed.

Question: What playlists feature Highlands and which is my best chance to get it? Regular BTB?

12104beb5ff2bd91b.gif

Camped out at Barnes & Noble last night for Primordium's midnight release. I was first in line!

Of course, it turns out B&N didn't open until 9am. I was a little suspicious when the lights were still off at 11:30pm and no one else was in line. When the manager showed up in the morning to open the store and saw my sleeping bag he thought I was a homeless person and threatened to call the cops. I tried explaining the plot of Cryptum to prove my sanity but he just locked himself in the store and started dialing on his phone. I packed up my tent, ran home and ordered the book off Amazon. It gets here in a week.
None of this is true, except the Amazon bit.

Camped out at Barnes & Noble last night for Primordium's midnight release. I was first in line!

Of course, it turns out B&N didn't open until 9am. I was a little suspicious when the lights were still off at 11:30pm and no one else was in line. When the manager showed up in the morning to open the store and saw my sleeping bag he thought I was a homeless person and threatened to call the cops. I tried explaining the plot of Cryptum to prove my sanity but he just locked himself in the store and started dialing on his phone. I packed up my tent, ran home and ordered the book off Amazon. It gets here in a week.

Lmfao

Awesome! Added it to the Archive.

I really need to finish these last 200 pages of Game of Thrones before Primordium comes in the mail (dat Super Saver shipping).

----
Any time you HaloGAF folk create a new Halo thread, be sure to post it here in the OT. I don't always check the Gaming/Off-Topic boards and tend to stick to my Subscriptions.

You can also use this handy new submission page I made:
HaloGAF.com/submit

I also added submit forms to the GIFs, Vids, Thread Pics and Gamertags pages. Note that you can only submit a link to content, I haven't figured out a way to allow direct image uploads yet.

FyreWulff

As Moltenslowa of HBO pointed out on Twitter, Passover also runs through PAX East's run time this year in addition to being on Easter weekend.

I wonder if that double whammy is contributing to the fact that passes are still freely available 2 months after they've gone up (versus a month for PAX Prime 2012)

Sorry, bro. Couldn't make it to the midnight launch.

Striker

Again, two of the worst Snipers maps in Halo 3. Radar should be turned on for Reach Snipers and pistol removed.
There weren't many good Snipers maps in 3, period. What's your point? Standoff sucked bad, Narrows, Construct, Rat's Nest, all terrible.

Radar on in a gametype like that only causes more camping and guys crouching behind obscure objects, and once they see the red dot, it only furthers the issue. Main reason Halo 3 Snipers sucked balls outside the putrid map selection.

Reach's version need(ed) a Pistol removal and no Sprint. Base speed increase to 120 or 110, whatever the next bump is. Sprint causes too many quick sneak attacks, aka assassinations.

Top Bottom