• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Preview Thread

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Glad to see this game getting more attention on GAF. Had a weekend long Halofest with a couple friends and I'm already waiting for 2P bro-op on Friday. Read Hunters in the Dark to make sure I don't miss any references either.

I've had Hunters in the Dark for over a year now and still haven't read it...

WadeitOut

I knew the hype was building when I saw my friend who rarely games anymore due to life on XBl playing Halo Wars like we use to back in the day.

FyreWulff

1486672789_halowars2.gif

where's this from?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Does GAF have a thread for people who are completely terrible at RTS games?

Like not for people who are bad, but for those of us who are completely hopeless. Like how we micromanage a single unit for 5 minutes as they make their way across the map type terrible.

WadeitOut

Like not for people who are bad, but for those of us who are completely hopeless. Like how we micromanage a single unit for 5 minutes as they make their way across the map type terrible.

Honestly, this is a game to help break through the barrier. I have a lot of friends who suck nuts in RTS and have zero micro manage skills that manage to get decent at Halo Wars.

And there are some cool modes in HW2 that make it easier to play because you don't focus on unit upgrading as much.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Honestly, this is a game to help break through the barrier. I have a lot of friends who suck nuts in RTS and have zero micro manage skills that manage to get decent at Halo Wars.

And there are some cool modes in HW2 that make it easier to play because you don't focus on unit upgrading as much.

Thanks! I'm going to try :)

I've always had this romantic ideal about how much fun I will have with RTS games and I'm always slapped down terribly even on easy. I regret that I only rented Halo Wars 1 and gave up after 2 hours.

AYF 001

I've had Hunters in the Dark for over a year now and still haven't read it...
I liked it. Not as revelatory as the Nylund or Bear books, but it fleshed out some of the characters in 3 and 5. It was also a neat retrospective of the carnage we tend to leave in MC's wake :p

Tecnniqe

Banned

Good thing about the Halo Wars series is that they contain a lot of the strategy but not massive Starcraft amounts of micromanagement. You can of course micro and the better players in ranked will surely have advantages being able to do so but as someone with very little classical RTS excperience it's a nice way to start out.

You learn to build, that some units are better versus other without being overly complicated and you get powers/abilities to further assist your units as well as dipping your feet into classic RTS tech trees without being exclusionary to new people.

BondFancy

Hyyyyypeeeeeeee. Glad to hear positive initial impression. This is the game I thought would never exist. Ultimate Edition ready to go ;)!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I was on the fence, Blitz beta turned me over. Gettin the Ultimate Edition for a cool $40. Glad to hear the campaign is shaping up nicely.

hwalker84

Hnnng so hyped for this ! I want to replay 1 on PC and then jump to this.

I cracked out and beat Halo 1 DE on PC in one day.

Also though I will not post the link someone posted the first few cutscenes on youtube. WOW is all i have to say!

shandy706

Navigating and moving your units around maps feels better because of it, and gameplay isn’t hindered by hiccups or slowdown at even the most hectic of times.

Very important in a strategy game, especially multi.

Good to hear.

KodiakGT

Was pleasantly surprised by Blitz beta, so I preordered and have been playing Halo Wars: DE to brush up on the game before release. Can't wait for Friday.

shandy706

Everyone that is interested in Strategy Games needs to buy this. Everyone that wants Microsoft to take chances on "different" games needs to buy this.

Don't slack.....we want stuff like this Microsoft!! We want diversity.

Cardon

Somewhat random, but quick question for anyone who may be reviewing the game: is anyone experiencing online issues with streaming? My colleague is having some issues and the MS rep hasn't gotten back to me yet.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
An entertaining campaign with beautiful cutscenes, varied missions, and a co-operative mode that changes the dynamic and that can be a lot of fun, is complimented by both elaborate multiplayer and the fun new Blitz mode.

Is this confirmation that the campaign can be played co-op? I couldn't find anything online about it.

EDIT: Question answered.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Has been confirmed for a while now tho. :)
Even says it in the game description. :)

Oh, huh. I was on the game's website and I didn't see anything there about it. Maybe I missed it. Thanks!

EDIT: Found it! It's listed here. Google results showed me this first, which AFAIK only mentions single-player.

Lucifon

So if I download this on my work PC I can play some campaign Friday lunchtime then continue where I left off when I get home on Friday evening right? Any idea if Blitz packs / earned cards also carry over between platforms?

Theorry

So if I download this on my work PC I can play some campaign Friday lunchtime then continue where I left off when I get home on Friday evening right? Any idea if Blitz packs / earned cards also carry over between platforms?

If you keep playing on the same gamertag all is carried over. :)

AP90

So pumped. Currently playing through Halo Wars Definitive Edition on my PC right now (first time play through). Was trying to complete it before Halo Wars 2 released so that I could jump right in.

Can wait to play it as I am enjoying the first one even with is weird console oriented controls on the pc.

bbd23

as someone that can't get into RTS games on PC how would this game be for a newcomer? I like the fact that I can use a controller...

SOR5

http://www.fanbolt.com/83192/halo-wars-2-hands-preview-captivating-beginning/

The best part about the beginning of Halo Wars 2 is that this feels like Halo. This will give chills to all who love the Halo universe, whether you’re a real-time strategy fan or not. And that’s what’s great about Halo Wars 2 so far as well that I’ve been playing on Heroic difficulty and able to progress without too much of a struggle even though I’m not an expert at RTS games. Sure, it hasn’t been easy and my completion times for the first three missions have been far beyond the par time given, but it’s still be an absolute enjoyable experience.
Halo Wars 2 has me completely captivated and excited to experience more

Top Bottom