• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Getting warm in here.

image.php

Mumei

Does NeoGAF have no way that you could inform said posters that they're breaking the rules and should refrain from such conduct other than in the form of a ban?

We can.

For instance, if you were in a thread and stepping over the line in some way, I could warn you in the thread to stop what you were doing. Or I could send you a PM telling you to stop. And this often works. But unfortunately we also occasionally have to deal with unbalanced people - who quite unhelpfully do not label themselves beforehand - who respond to warnings with whining, complaints, PMs to other moderators claiming persecution, or otherwise think that the matter is up for discussion when the warning is simply meant as a courtesy, and an opportunity to not get banned.

You have to remember that being a moderator isn't a job; we all have jobs, hobbies, regular posting on GAF, some of us have kids, and so forth. So when you cross the line, sure, you might get a warning if it is a relatively mild offense or if you seemed to have been provoked into it or if there is some sort of mild mutual bickering going on between two people. But in most cases, I'm going to ban. To put it rather bluntly, I'd rather not spend my free time telling someone who is being an ass to stop being an ass. They should know not to behave like an ass, and if they don't... maybe two weeks off will help them remember.

ElRenoRaven

So guys now that we're officially OT I have a confession. I have Frankie locked up in a cage in my livingroom. I'll be posting proof in a few seconds.

Ghazi

We can.

For instance, if you were in a thread and stepping over the line in some way, I could warn you in the thread to stop what you were doing. Or I could send you a PM telling you to stop. And this often works. But unfortunately we also occasionally have to deal with unbalanced people - who quite unhelpfully do not label themselves beforehand - who respond to warnings with whining, complaints, PMs to other moderators claiming persecution, or otherwise think that the matter is up for discussion when the warning is simply meant as a courtesy, and an opportunity to not get banned.

You have to remember that being a moderator isn't a job; we all have jobs, hobbies, regular posting on GAF, some of us have kids, and so forth. So when you cross the line, sure, you might get a warning if it is a relatively mild offense or if you seemed to have been provoked into it or if there is some sort of mild mutual bickering going on between two people. But in most cases, I'm going to ban. To put it rather bluntly, I'd rather not spend my free time telling someone who is being an ass to stop being an ass. They should know not to behave like an ass, and if they don't... maybe two weeks off will help them remember.

black-preacher-meme-generator-preach-it-brother-84c7bf.jpg

heckfu

Banned
We can.

oh hi, old friend.

Thermite

We can.

free EZB

Well, I don't think we do apart from those games/news official OT's
What? There's a small, but active group of people that still play Reach, are we supposed to make a Reach thread to say "need 3 for Objective?"

Or what if I, say, just read Cryptum and I want to discuss my thoughts about it, should I dig up the old Cryptum thread?

What if I got the new 3A Carter figure and I wanted to share some pics, do I make a new thread for that?

I have no idea what's going on.

What? There's a small, but active group of people that still play Reach, are we supposed to make a Reach thread to say "need 3 for Objective?"

Or what if I, say, just read Cryptum and I want to discuss my thoughts about it, should I dig up the old Cryptum thread?

What if I got the new 3A Carter figure and I wanted to share some pics, do I make a new thread for that?

I have no idea what's going on.

What's going on is that people can't even remain civil enough in the OTs and the mods are sick of being told about it.

ElRenoRaven

Cute dog.

He is but he's a handful. Not potty trained or anything yet. My sister rescued him about a week and a half ago when it was still really frigid. We think he was dumped. He's about 3 months old. Needless to say after several attempts to find him a good home I decided I was tired of seeing him bounced around. Didn't even have a name yet. So now he's mine. I don't know why but he looked like a Frankie.

I know I know. He's no Chinese Pug but I'll still grow to love him as much anyway.

What's going on is that people can't even remain civil enough in the OTs and the mods are sick of being told about it.
Well forgive me if the post I'm about to make it considered backseat moderating, but perhaps the offending posters should be dealt with instead of nuking the whole thread. Have some sort of regular moderating presence in the thread. A dedicated thread moderator has been suggested many times in the past, and maybe it's for that to come to fruition.

Well forgive me if the post I'm about to make it considered backseat moderating, but perhaps the offending posters should be dealt with instead of nuking the whole thread. Have some sort of regular moderating presence in the thread. A dedicated thread moderator has been suggested many times in the past, and maybe it's for that to come to fruition.

I don't really have an answer. There was a huge influx of really shit posters that we're never culled right off the bat and that plus Halo 4 being quite divisive made the thread more and more hostile.

I actually thought the last OT wasn't as bad as previous ones (meta discussion wise)

Oh well. Guess we're here until 343 announces next-gen Halo at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom