• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hap and Leonard - feat. Omar, Mark Antony and Joan Holloway - Wed on SundanceTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Based on the novels by Joe R. Lansdale, in particular 'Savage Season', SundanceTV's third original scripted series 'Hap and Leonard' premieres Wednesday, March 2 at 10/9c. Created by Jim Mickle (Cold in July) and Nick Gomez (Chicago PD), the series stars James Purefoy (Rome), Michael K. Williams (The Wire), and Christina Hendricks (Mad Men).

Given the all star cast, intriguing premise, and promising impressions, not to mention SundanceTV's terrific record of original and acquired programming, 'Hap and Leonard' looks to be one of the first can't miss freshman shows of the season.

Set in the late 1980s, “Hap and Leonard” is a darkly comic swamp noir story of two best friends, one femme fatale, a crew of washed-up revolutionaries, a pair of murderous psycho-killers, some lost loot and the fuzz. The six-hour series follows Hap Collins, an East Texas white boy with a weakness for Southern women, and Leonard Pine, a gay, black Vietnam vet with a hot temper. When Hap’s seductive ex-wife Trudy resurfaces with a deal they can’t refuse, a simple get-rich-quick scheme snowballs into bloody mayhem. Chock full of eccentric characters, “Hap and Leonard” provides a country twist on the classic mystery thriller.

Cast

• Hap Collins is a former '60s activist who spent time in prison after refusing to be drafted to fight in Vietnam. Now in his forties and down on his luck after losing his job, Hap is easily lured into helping his ex-wife, Trudy, for whom he holds a special torch, when she resurfaces with dreams and promises of finding sunken treasure near his hometown.
  • Leonard Pine is an openly gay black Vietnam War vet with a bad temper. He has a deeply cruel relationship with his Uncle Chester, who shunned him after learning he was gay. After being laid off from his job - and happy to run away from his complex relationships at home - Leonard joins Hap in the search for the sunken treasure in hopes of making a life-changing score.
  • Trudy Fawst is Hap's ex-wife and a constant wedge between Hap and Leonard. She doesn't hesitate to use her feminine wiles to get what she wants, all in the name of peace and free love. Back when she met Hap she was going to be a great artist, but the closest she got was dressing mannequins in store windows. She finds new purpose as an activist, determined to change the world for the better. Filled with big dreams, Trudy resurfaces in Hap's life with a proposition he can't refuse.

• Howard, Trudy's latest ex-husband, is a seemingly devout peace activist. During a stint in jail for damaging government property, he met a fellow inmate named Softboy McCall who told him about stolen money hidden and since lost in the Sabine River. Now released from prison, Howard has made it his mission to find the sunken treasure and use it for the greater good.
  • Paco is a former '60s radical leader who was once wanted by the FBI. Thought to be dead from an explosion that left him disfigured, he joins Howard's cause, determined to find the sunken treasure - but with his own ulterior motives.
  • A member of Howard's hippie gang, Chub is a fat, shaggy-haired former rich kid from Houston whose parents disowned him. With his liberal outlook and recklessly big heart, Chub often rubs people the wrong way.

Videos

Promo Photos

hPgkMNm.jpg

eriuIBD.jpg

8HZ23MO.jpg

uqF9Lpr.jpg

Reviews

The Hollywood Reporter said:
(Creators) Jim Mickle and Nick Damici worked on 2014's very fine Cold in July, and they have a strong sense of how to capture Lansdale's pulpy, sweat-drenched world, with its slightly large-than-life explorations of masculinity in a unique Texas landscape where attitudes toward race and sexuality are slow to change with the times. Filmed in Baton Rouge, 'Hap and Leonard' has ample atmosphere, even if East Texans will probably bristle at the idea that Louisiana is interchangeable. The Hap and Leonard friendship is a fantastic mixture of politically incorrect, boundary-free banter, loving antagonism and do-anything-for-each-other dedication, and the writers push hard to convey the friendship, even if some of the back-and-forths feel more natural on the page.

Bottom Line: Sweaty, hard-boiled Texas thrills.

More to follow...

- Deadline review:
As the great Elmore Leonard surely discovered once or twice, adaptations of first-rate thrillers and crime novels can quickly go south in clumsy hands. That’s not something fans of author Joe R. Lansdale’s novels and stories need to worry about with Sundance TV’s Hap And Leonard, which debuts on March 3. The six-episode event series is, as my video review above says, a rollicking and loving refitting from the page to the small screen with James Purefoy and Michael Kenneth Williams as the perfectly cast best-pal leads.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was saving this for later, but since it's been mentioned...

Landsdale interview on NPR's Fresh Air:

- 'Hap And Leonard' Creator Needed To 'Burn Bridges' To Make It As A Writer

This is awesome:

DAVIES: What did you do for fun as a kid?

LANSDALE: Well, we went fishing. We went hunting. Back then though, fishing and hunting wasn't just a recreational thing, it was something you did to eat. My father once told me - we went out - we were squirrel hunting, and we - you know, I think he saw I was getting kind of excited about it. He says, you know, this isn't a sport. Everybody tells you hunting's a sport. It's not. And he says, if you start to enjoy seeing something fall or die, you need to sit down and have a really serious talk with yourself. Said, this is to eat and that's all. And he was a - very, very racist in his speech and whatever, but you know, I was just - my mother was just the opposite. But what happened was that when we'd go squirrel hunting, he would kill two or three extra and he would bring them to a black family that he knew who were more desperate than we were, and the same thing when he went fishing. And he was always doing stuff like that. So I judged him more by what he did than what he said.

DAVIES: I've got to ask you, how do you prepare squirrel and what's it taste like?

LANSDALE: Well, you know, squirrel - people say it tastes like chicken. No, it tastes like squirrel. It's a little gamier. I used to like it. I haven't eaten one in years, but I saw "Winter's Bone," which is a really fine film and it's based on a very fine novel, but they knew nothing about preparing squirrels. They were just chopping squirrels with their fur on, you know? And you have to skin them and peel their suit off and cut their head off and gut them properly and rinse them, and then you cook them.

DAVIES: You cook them in a stew or, like, on a spit?

LANSDALE: Well, you - well, you fried them was very common, but they also can cook them in stew. You make gumbo with them. You can make dumplings. Squirrel in dumplings was a biggie. But pretty much any way that you would cook any other meat, like chicken for example, you can do the same with squirrel.

LANSDALE: But the story here is [my father] got me the dog and that dog and I like brothers. We ate out of the same bowl when my mother wasn't looking. And one day we were out playing. We went up behind the house. There was a house on a hill above ours, and it was covered in flowers. You had to cross a little creek to get over to it, and my dog went up there and he started digging in the flowerbeds. Well, I didn't know this was wrong. I was, like, about 5 years old probably. And a guy came out of the house and he grabbed my dog by the hind legs, hit him in the back of the head with a pipe or a stick or whatever it was and threw him in that creek. And of course this devastated me. I ran home. I told my mother. We didn't have a phone. A lot of people didn't back then. And she walked to some house down the road and called my father.

And it seemed like it was no time at all, though it may have been, I - my father drove up in - his car was a black car. It was like Mr. Death showing up. And he got out of the car and he started going up the hill and he said you stay here. And of course, you know, I didn't. I followed him. And as he went up the hill, he knocked on that guy's door and when that guy came out, he'd hit that guy with everything he had. Didn't say a word, just hit him, knocked him completely out, grabbed him by the ankles, pulled him out, swung him through those flowerbeds for a long time until they were flat and then threw him in the creek where he'd thrown my dog.

He went down and got the dog. It was alive. And that dog died when I was 17 - fell off the porch - just - we were both looking at the sun - sunset or the sunrise - I forget which - and he just died right there. But from then on, my father was my hero and still is. But to me - maybe that was overly violent and people would sue you today, but, you know, what? I don't care. He had it coming.

- Austin Chronicle: Joe R. Lansdale's Hap and Leonard get a swampy miniseries
Speaking to the popularity of his Hap and Leonard stories, and why they're finally getting their onscreen debut at this fractious point in history, Lansdale said, "There's such a polarization right now [in America] that here's two guys who are very different, they have very different political views, although I would say that Leonard is the old-style Republican and not the current kind of, you know, throw-everything-in-the-sewer Republican. But they have a core of solidarity that has nothing to do with politics or social issues. It has to do with brotherly bonds, and they love each other like family. I think that's very appealing to people to see that there can be this kind of bond and [Hap and Leonard] can be different and yet they have this strong and powerful connection that has to do more with just having the same core values of honesty and sincerity and just trying to do the right thing. It's just that simple."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I totally didn't recognize Jimmi Simpson in that pic, and forgot he was even in this. Looking forward to it.

TheOddOne

- THR: 'Hap and Leonard': TV Review.
In our age of boundless Netflix or premium cable (or even FX) running times, the 45-minute episodes and the sometimes light narrative leave the initial three episodes feeling somewhat thin, but that feeling could abate in the presumably intense closing three episodes, or maybe the first season will be best binged as prelude to a second season. With Mickle and Damici in their comfort zone and Williams and Purefoy as key anchors, Hap and Leonard should be a winner for SundanceTV.

- EW interview with Purefoy
How did you get the job?

It came to me in a really curious way, actually. I’d just finished doing that funny show The Following. The show had been canceled, I was on my way back to London, wondering what I was going to do next. I ran into my old friend Michael Kenneth Williams, who I worked with on a show called The Philanthropist, for NBC. He was going to be doing this show called Hap and Leonard. He was playing Leonard and they were looking for somebody to play Hap. He said, “I’d love you to come and help me do this.” I got sent the script, and I looked at it, and I thought, “I should not be playing a working class, blue-collar, farm laborer from East Texas. I can’t do that. In fact, I shouldn’t do that.” Which is precisely why I had to do that.

The only way you get better, as an actor, is [to] confront your worst possible fears, and have a bash at something, and see if you can do it. I could spend the rest of my life playing very well-spoken, silky serial killers and bad guys. It’s easy for me to do that. What’s not easy is a part like this.
- Den of Geek review:
Hap and Leonard, based on the books by Joe R. Lansdale, translates beautifully to television.

TheOddOne

- Variety: TV Review: ‘Hap and Leonard’.
There’s not much to “Hap and Leonard,” but that’s not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to light, caper-driven stories. The trouble with the new Sundance drama is that its charms are meant to arise from the complicated relationships among a central trio of characters, but they never manage to make much of an impression, individually or in various combination.
Like any show aspiring to noir greatness, “Justified” had terrific dialogue, and that’s where “Hap and Leonard” falls shortest. The writing for the key characters is often quite mannered and belabored when it’s not ponderous (An example: “You’ve got nothing left inside to hold the dark away”). There are some attempts to sketch out an argument between idealism and greed among the characters, but like the rest of this meandering, six-episode “event series,” the theme never quite comes into meaningful focus.

It’s as if “Hap and Leonard,” which is set in the 1980s, is suspended in time and geography between the fine first season of “True Detective” and the overwrought second season of that HBO drama. This Sundance show’s literary ambitions are clear, but the execution is only occasionally effective.

Squalor

I hope I can watch this tomorrow, but life is trying to get in the way.

I'd like to catch the première of the première.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The series premiere is tonight!

Savage Season

A seductive figure from Hap's past emerges with a plan to score cash in the series premiere of this drama about a friendship between a white laborer and draft evader and a gay black Vietnam War vet in 1980s East Texas.

- Onion A|V Club review
The best thing going for Hap And Leonard is its length. That might sound like a slight, but it’s actually a compliment. There’s the distinct feeling that whatever weaknesses crop up in the first three episodes of Hap And Leonard might resolve themselves in the second half, because it’s so evidently conceived and executed like a six-hour movie. Between the bright performances and the mischievous genre-bending, it’s certainly worth a cheap fling. Grade: B

Checked my Comcast channels today, but it looks like I only have the SD version of Sundance? Damn!

Same boat. I think On-Demand has the HD version. Wonder if I should still DVR the SD version to help its numbers and watch the HD version for its resolution.

Does stuff like that even matter? I still don't understand how TV ratings work.

Fjordson

Same boat. I think On-Demand has the HD version. Wonder if I should still DVR the SD version to help its numbers and watch the HD version for its resolution.

Does stuff like that even matter? I still don't understand how TV ratings work.
Ooh, thanks for the tip. I'll watch it on-demand.

For ratings, I think you have to agree to be a part of Nielsen's sampling of people? Then ratings are estimates based off of all the Nielsen households. I think that's how it still works.

- Warming Glow review
Screenwriter Nick Damici and director Jim Mickle, who previously worked together on the horrifying cannibal movie We Are What We Are and Cold In July (another Lansdale property), bring a perfect moodiness to the backwoods and lets the ’80s setting flavor the proceedings without overdoing it. The dialogue is smart and poignant (although some of the accents are patchy at best), and the six-episode format ensures that the plot stays tight and trims off any narrative fat. There isn’t much filler, so it’ll be exciting to see how the show works out its kinks in the second half. It may not be moving at a breakneck speed, but the powder kegs are set for an explosive conclusion. While it probably won’t reach the same narrative heights as previous Sundance shows like the devastating Rectify or the haunting Top of the Lake, Hap and Leonard is still a sticky noir worth your time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Matt Zoller Seitz - Hap and Leonard Is an Entrancing, Unusual Show

There are times when it’s a little too relaxed for its own good, and it has trouble reconciling its wit and sexiness with bursts of harrowing violence that feel imported from a Quentin Tarantino movie (or a film by one of Tarantino’s imitators). But the sum total is so beguiling and unusual — for television as a whole, if not for Sundance, which specializes in this kind of storytelling — that it’s hard not to become entranced by it.

This was really good. I eagerly await the next five episodes.

Still doesn't make up for no fourth season of The Following though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom