• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hap and Leonard - feat. Omar, Mark Antony and Joan Holloway - Wed on SundanceTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked it too. The cast is great, the dialogue is fun, and I dug the thick, pulpy atmosphere. I can't wait to see what's up with the two maniacs who appeared at the end of the episode.

berzeli

Banned
429K viewers. The highest rated original episode for a Sundance TV original series (I believe). :]

Good news.
And I think you're right, it's nearly double anything else they've done. (somewhat related tangent: why aren't more people watching rectify, why?)

Oh, Vox reviewed and liked it
Simply put, Hap and Leonard hits a nice sweet spot between the contemplative character drama Sundance is known for and the tawdrier crime dramas TV does so well. Hap and Leonard are on the hunt for some money that disappeared at the bottom of a riverbed decades ago, up against all sorts of seedy characters who are also looking for that cash, and that gives the story the genre juice it needs to keep pumping.

Fjordson

Loved the premier. Great atmosphere and the main cast is impeccable.

James Purefoy is so great. I did hear Mark Antony creep through his accent a few times, but that sort of thing doesn't really bother me tbh. And my mind could just be playing tricks on me because I've watched Rome so many times.

Excited to watch this! I find it odd though that no where in the OP, thread, or even in the marketing materials from Sundance is Joe R. Lansdale mentioned :(

TripOpt55

Really enjoyed the first episode. The cast was great as expected and it got quite a few laughs out of me in this first outing. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just got around to watching the premiere, I liked it. The cast is good and I like the kind of relaxing tone to it. Looking forward to watching more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Bottoms

Trudy entices Hap and Leonard to team with new compatriots in the search for the lost loot; and Leonard hears upsetting news about his Uncle Chester.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, that one was a lot funnier than the first episode. Not sure why Hap and Trudy stayed on the riverbank after they escaped from the alligator, though. They can go on land you guys...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The second episode got 271K viewers, which is lower than the premiere but still a ways above the averages for any of Sundance's other shows.

Niraj

Yeah, that one was a lot funnier than the first episode. Not sure why Hap and Trudy stayed on the riverbank after they escaped from the alligator, though. They can go on land you guys...

lol, that's what I was saying too.

TripOpt55

Watched Eps 2 and 3 over the weekend. Really enjoying this show. I love Hap and Leonard's friendship and the show's sense of humor. Leonard's line about a mull taking as long as a mull takes (or something like that) cracked me up.

I was a bit surprised Hap and Leonard weren't watching them open the boxes though at the end there. I mean maybe it is easier to expect something to go wrong as a viewer, but I felt they were too trusting there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was a bit surprised Hap and Leonard weren't watching them open the boxes though at the end there. I mean maybe it is easier to expect something to go wrong as a viewer, but I felt they were too trusting there.

Same here. I was thinking that whole time: "Why is no one keeping an eye on those two?" Hap was far too involved with Trudy (and her weed) to care, but Leonard really should have known better.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This looks interesting, I'll give it a try. And I can't not watch anything that has Christina Hendricks in it.

Niraj

Watched Eps 2 and 3 over the weekend. Really enjoying this show. I love Hap and Leonard's friendship and the show's sense of humor. Leonard's line about a mull taking as long as a mull takes (or something like that) cracked me up.

I agree with all of this. Leonard in general cracks me up. I was just waiting for the reaction when that dude was eating his Nilla Wafers lol

Niraj

Damn, that really escalated. Pretty strong contrast between the scene where Hap and Leonard are trying to sneak away into the woods and just about everything that came after that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode is today!

War

After forcing Leonard to dig up the money, Angel and Soldier find a surprise, and later, Leonard and Hap try to find a way out, but Trudy holds her ground.

Back to back posts but I don't care.

Tonight made last week look like an episode of Sesame Street. Fucking brutal. I love this show.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been perpetually one episode behind, but I finally caught up. This really kicked into gear by the end of the second episode. Really good stuff. Jimmi Simpson is having the time of his life.

I was kinda hoping to discover Soldier's music choice was an actual piece of 80s Detroit or Chicago electronica, but it's totally not. VCMG's "Spock" is five years old and a collaboration between two Depeche Mode members.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Caught up on this show, holy fuck am I glad I watched it.

Can't wait to watch the finale! Here is hoping for a season 2.

geestack

this is really really good. glad i caught up yesterday and am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to watch the finale

there better be a season 2, i need more omar as leonard

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Solid finale to a solid season. It's kind of crazy that every character is dead besides the two leads (well, I guess Leonard's nurse ex is still kicking. For now). Bring on season 2!

That ending!

When the camera started panning down to the basement I thought "Oh, here we go, they're about to show something that will make Hap and Leonard a truck load of money."

I could have never imagined what was actually there.

Good show. They'll do well to get a set of characters and actors this good for series 2.

Fxp

That ending!

When the camera started panning down to the basement I thought "Oh, here we go, they're about to show something that will make Hap and Leonard a truck load of money."

I could have never imagined what was actually there.

Good show. They'll do well to get a set of characters and actors this good for series 2.

Who was that in the basement?

TripOpt55

Really enjoyed the finale. After the beginning it was certainly low-key compared the last couple episodes, but I enjoyed it still. Wasn't expecting Angel to pop up again. I guess I fell for her dying last episode.

I would love a second season. I really enjoyed Hap and Leonard's relationship. Felt very genuine. Thought the show had a great sense of humor too which helped add some levity between the intense bouts of violence. Great season. My favorite new show of 2016 so far.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wasn't expecting Angel to pop up again. I guess I fell for her dying last episode.

Same here. I was disappointed that she "died" in episode 5 because I felt like they hyped her up too much to not give her any cool fight scenes, and was pleasantly surprised to see her show up again one last time to finally kick some butt. :D

Niraj

Just caught up on the last two episodes, damn, that was some crazy shit that went down. Finale sputtered a bit for me after the action, just kind of felt like it was just going through the motions. It was alright though overall. Decent season though, really enjoyed the characters. Soldier was a fucking nutjob.

I kind of assumed Len's uncle maybe exacted revenge on the drunk asshole that killed Len's dad but idk.

I thought the dude that killed their dads was the same guy who was running for office, the guy was putting the signs in the yard for him and Hap told him to take them and leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom