• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 10th Anniversary to DRIVECLUB!

Perrott

1ROxjIi.png

When I joined Evolution nine years ago, the first concept I worked on was for a racing game that was all about racing with friends. It combined the best cars (and they would have to be real ones), on the most breathtaking roads in the world, with gameplay that was totally focused on team-based racing.

The game was all about utter car passion. It was about connecting people who are as in love with car culture as we are, and creating a universe for these impassioned racers to all play together. We created web design concepts that showed how you could connect with people and access your club when you were away from the living room, and we created prototypes of the most immersive, detailed vehicle interiors and exteriors possible.

Except… they weren’t possible. Our concept was simple, but needed a socially connected network and audiovisual technology that wasn’t available. When we knew PlayStation 4 was coming, we realised that the time was right to make the DriveClub dream a reality. It was time to combine nearly 15 years of racing game pedigree and a rapidly evolving, connected gaming landscape – this seed of an idea was ready to be realized and the buzz at Evolution was unstoppable.

– Matt Southern, DriveClub creative director, at the PlayStation 4 reveal in February 2013

Happy 10th birthday, DriveClub.

E7e5aEEXsAEHeoL

nial

I really wasn't ready to witness the 10th anniversaries of all these PS4 games; LittleBigPlanet 3, The Order 1886, Helldivers and Bloodborne are next...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If only this game had gotten a 60fps PS5 patch ... People call Sony arrogant, I think they're clueless.

--

BTW You can play Driveclub at 60 FPS ... but only on a hacked PS5.

Last edited:

Saber

I remember seeing my brother playing Driveclub. And I said to myself : maybe I should buy my own racing game as well.

Then I picked up Project Cars 3. What a terrible game, one of worst racing experiences ever.

Then I decided to play Driveclub as well and thank god I did. What a great and fun game. I love arcade racing games and this is one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
One of the best racing games ever.
My favorite handling racer ever. 100% Trophy list + every DLC + Bikes, literal thousand hours on it thanks to friends begging me to boot the game for a whole decade.

Once accustomed to 360° steering wheel animations/handling there's no going back. That acceleration the right second while steering in curve, feeling the car adjust itself within your hands.. GODDAMN.

Taming that Koenigsegg.. what an achievement, what an experience.

This whole game..

op9PWrr.gif

Shutting down Evolution will always be the biggest crime in the history of gaming to me. It was tied with Konami canceling Silent Hills, but after Silent Hill 2 being great that doesn't hurt as much anymore.

Last edited:

RavageX

I do miss this game. I really liked the VR too if only it looked better.

Still has the best rain effects IMO. Hell, the game overall looked amazing and still does.

Vick

Gold Member
In hindsight Sony should have stuck with this. Imagine the racing 1-2 punch this would be with GT these days.
I legit believe Evolution completely overshadowing Polyphony might have been a serious annoyance for Sony. And I don't care if it sounds conspiratory. GT still has to catch up a whole decade later in more than one way afterall..

One of my favorite aspect of the game is how absolutely nothing's baked in it. Every single element being completely dynamic and simulated.. what a wonder that Engine was, fully suitable for breathtaking dynamic time of day/weather free-roams we never got.

Really missed this kind of drift in other racers, so much:

kp6N7NN.gif

I’m sorry but this game is completely overrated for multiple reasons I can’t be arsed explaining. From what I can tell, it had a really good photo mode.
Nbc Reaction GIF by Will & Grace

Oh well, here it comes. Enjoy those likes from people like you who never played the game.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

One of my favorite racing games of all-time. I still didn't forgive Sony not only for abandoning the game, but also for disbanding the studio.

Weather effects are still top tier, especially if you look at how shit rain looks like in games like FM8.

OP scared me for a second. I immediately thought this was another 10th birthday celebration like Alien Isolation. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The clubs idea itself sounded a little confusing but the game ended up being great with multiple content to play. The first MotorStorm is my favorite from them though.

Not a big racing game fan (maybe more the arcade stuff like need for speed underground) but I think it was this game that had the best looking rain effects on the windshield ever. Driving at night in the rain was relaxing.

Also remember the developer coming on stage at an E3, and nearly crying with how happy he and his team were. Was a feel good moment.

One of the best racing games ever.

OMG this was the worst fucking racing game I've ever played. Gave it a go but the controls felt like this awkward middle ground between sim and arcade racing. If you had a cross between Forza Horizon and GT7 you'd get this game in terms of controls. Dog shite.

Visually its still a great looking game but that's it.

Last edited:
OMG this was the worst fucking racing game I've ever played. Gave it a go but the controls felt like this awkward middle ground between sim and arcade racing. If you had a cross between Forza Horizon and GT7 you'd get this game in terms of controls. Dog shite.

Visually its still a great looking game but that's it.
I through the same at first but when the game clicked is was one of the best driving experiences in a video game IMO. But i agree the learning curve is elevated and the game is not for everybody. I think is one of the most underrated driving games ever made and that was fault of the terrible launch.

I through the same at first but when the game clicked is was one of the best driving experiences in a video game IMO. But i agree the learning curve is elevated and the game is not for everybody. I think is one of the most underrated driving games ever made and that was fault of the terrible launch.

Perhaps I didn't give it a fair shot, I realize that. The controls just put me right off and I played it for some time hoping to get into it but just couldn't get a grip on the handling. This coming from Forza games on Xbox and some GT on PS. Eh, maybe one day I'll retry it when i get another PS console.

Fantastic game once they sorted the launch issues. Though I wish there were more options for clubs to race together. Like having challenges that you and your club could all join and challenge at the same time, and actually see their ghosts driving around, etc.

nikos

Incredible game that's unfortunately trapped on PS4 and at 30 FPS. Was able to forgive the frame rate at the time because it was such a good game. Closing this studio was criminal and unforgivable.

Can't believe it's been 10 years. I still remember finding it a local shop a few days early. Not really out of the norm here, but the usual shops that get things early didn't even have it yet and the guy seemed kind of shady. Almost didn't trust it until booting it up.

Wish this would get some kind of update/re-release.

sachos

I did not play it but from every video i've seen of it, it looks like the last modern "classic style" NFSHP game we've got. I wish they would remaster the single player campaign.
The physical disc shows the importance of physical media since it allows you access to the de-listed game.

Game was ok. Controls were decent. AI was shit. Amazing graphics and sound, but as expected at 30fps.

Studio deserved better. We should be playing fucking Motorstorm on PS5. Actually the way Sony is going I guess we’ll get a Motorstorm Remastered soon enough 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom