• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 10th Anniversary to DRIVECLUB!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m sorry but this game is completely overrated for multiple reasons I can’t be arsed explaining. From what I can tell, it had a really good photo mode.
50 cent laughing GIF

Fahdis

One of the best racing games of all time. And for me its my most favorite racing game OF ALL TIME. Nothing beats it. NOTHING.

I beat most of the campaign in a BAC Mono since it has the best handling. Ferrari FXXK sounded like a beast and once I got it, well. The McLaren P1 GT was also amazing. The sounds of the cars were chef's kiss. Hybrid as the official music OST maker was God's work. Let's not even get into the weather, we still aren't eating good since 2014.

Still remember getting stuck on Hennessey and Apex challenges. This game was such a rush. I believe I had a few world record times in the Top 10-15 range.

Brigandier

Why did Sony kill this studio?? Wasn't DC a success with huge potential with a sequel... did they not want their #1 racer GT overshadowed?.

Because a Drive club on PS5/Pro would be absolutely incredible imo.

farmerboy

I use to enjoy racing odd combos of track and car, that way I could officially have a world record or top 5.

Didn't last long though.

Perrott

Why did Sony kill this studio?? Wasn't DC a success with huge potential with a sequel... did they not want their #1 racer GT overshadowed?.

The game's servers crashed and burned at launch and went on to remain offline for several weeks, making all the conectivity features that Sony had advertised the game on inaccessible to players, hence why they had to begin to accept refunds in the UK and also why the PS Plus version was delayed for over half a year. This public embarrassment meant that likely tens of millions in advertisement for what was their heavy-hitter PS4 exclusive for the fall of 2014 had gone to waste, not to mention the rough critical reception - low 70s Metacritic - that the game had (unfairly) received prior to this debacle.

It certainly was the most troubled release of a high-profile Sony first-party game in history up until Concord - and at the time Evolution was coming off the heels of MotorStorm Apocalypse severely underperforming compared to prior entries in the series, while Sony Corp. as a whole was running in the red, shutting down divisions and selling assets left and right.

It all comes down to bad timing and the lack of an open beta (same thing that killed the multiplayer of Twisted Metal 2012).

Last edited:

Brigandier

The game's servers crashed and burned at launch and went on to remain offline for several weeks, making all the conectivity features that Sony had advertised the game on inaccessible to players, hence why they had to begin to accept refunds in the UK and also why the PS Plus version was ended up being delayed for over half a year. This public embarrassment meant that likely tens of millions in advertisement for what was their heavy-hitter PS4 exclusive for the fall of 2014 had gone to waste, not to mention the rough critical reception - low 70s Metacritic - that the game had (unfairly) received prior to this debacle.

It certainly was the most troubled release of a high-profile Sony first-party game in history up until Concord - and at the time Evolution was coming off the heels of MotorStorm Apocalypse severely underperforming compared to prior entries in the series, while Sony Corp. as a whole was running in the red, shutting down divisions and selling assets left and right.

It all comes down to bad timing and the lack of an open beta (same thing that killed the multiplayer of Twisted Metal 2012).

Thanks, I didn't play it until well after it released, Sounds like they fucked up bad and paid the price, ashame because the IP had extreme potential.

Vindicator

The engine sounds, normally idc about those but I love the Jaguar F-Type R roar, checked out the GT7 or FH5 versions, they don't come close.
4K/60/HDR on ShadPS4 hopefully.

Last edited:

SliChillax

I seriously dont get people complaining about handling/controls. This was one of those driving games that shocked me how enjoyable it was to control and at 30fps!! Always played in cockpit view also, made it so much better and felt so natural to control the cars with the proper steering lock animations.

kyussman

My favorite handling model in any racing game ever,the cars all had their own feel and learning how to drive them was so much fun......loved the track selection too,my favorites were probably Japan which dropped as dlc.I played this game for three months solid after I bought it and even got good at the online because I knew all the tracks so well(and I'm usually terrible online,lol).Loved Motorstorm too,such a talented studio.RIP.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Axing Evolution because we have GT.

Such a dumb fucking decision by Sony.

Motorstorm and Driveclub could perfectly exist this generation, specially the first one.

We have too much focus on real driving simulators these days, and that sucks.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Axing Evolution because we have GT.

Such a dumb fucking decision by Sony.

Motorstorm and Driveclub could perfectly exist this generation, specially the first one.

We have too much focus on real driving simulators these days, and that sucks.

I hate them they are so boring, Give me a Ridge Racer remastered or a Sega Rally any day over sims 🥱 or a Driveclub makeover.

buenoblue

Ooh I picked up a g29 for gt7 a few months back. Might download drive club and have a go with the wheel. My Samsung TV has game motion plus which smooths out 30fps a bit too 😃

Same ol G

Shitty 30 fps racing game, people were aleays quick to point out how good it looks but the gameplay was shit.
I got tricked with this game and tricked again when the vr version came out, that game made me puke.
Also environments and actually everything beside the cars looked like shit

ShakenG

Driveclub, one of the few games ive kept the disc version of. Absolutely loved this racer. The cars all felt unique and fun to drive around. Also one of the few games to not have rubberband ai.

Would love a 4k60fps update for it but being realistic, it's never happening.

Same ol G Same ol G respect your opinion but its wrong.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Because it didn't do well at full price. It sold most of their copies, HEAVILY discounted. It was $10 forever and even got down to $5. A free limited version didn't even garner much interest.

Also before that Motor storm Apocalypse bombed.

Top Bottom