• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy birthday, Dreamcast

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
9/9/99. Five years...man does time pass. It was my first non-Nintendo console too. Good times

Dc1.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's still the 8th here. I'll have to remember to celebrate in my traditional fashion, which is a few rounds of Third Strike. Unfortunately, since I've actually been playing the game a bit as of late, it might not be as special, so I may have to change it up this year and break with the tradition of the last few birthdays.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
teepo said:
oh i remeber the #dreamcast days... oh boi :(

Without #dreamcast, I wouldn't be on this forum. Hell, I think Futami posted a link to the forum in the channel and that's how I got here. Haha

shoplifter

MetatronM said:
It's still the 8th here. I'll have to remember to celebrate in my traditional fashion, which is a few rounds of Third Strike. Unfortunately, since I've actually been playing the game a bit as of late, it might not be as special, so I may have to change it up this year and break with the tradition of the last few birthdays.

Play Seventh Cross instead, since it fucking rules.

OmniGamer

Go Dreamcast! It was the first game system I ever pre-ordered, and the only game system I have bought on launch day(+1 Hurricane Floyd for a half/day from college soon after...more time for Sonic and Soul Calibur :D). Not a single goddamn hardware problem either(*cough* PS/PS2 *cough*).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
*sniff*
Yup, I sure do remember going into the store and picking up my reserve.
Of FFVIII that is. I don't even remember seeing shit about the Dreamcast. And I didn't care.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wario64 said:
Without #dreamcast, I wouldn't be on this forum. Hell, I think Futami posted a link to the forum in the channel and that's how I got here. Haha

I wouldn't be on here if it weren't for PSO and all the freakin' games GA had that eventually led me to this place. Not only that, I probably wouldn't be gaming at all. DC got me excited about gaming, which I hadn't been into at all since the Genny (didn't even own any 32-bit consoles).

AniHawk

I still play MVC2 on the DC and MDK2 as well. My first non-Nintendo system since the Atari 7800 (1989).

The little system that could. :'(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Society said:
You mean besides, psx, gamegear, neo-geo, tg-16, saturn and genesis...right?

:D

I didn't own any of those consoles before getting the Dreamcast. I did buy a PSX a couple months after Dreamcast's release, though. I was truly a Nintendo fanboy before the Dreamcast

Hero

Ah, Dreamcast, such fond times.

Soul Calibur, MvC, Powerstone 1/2, Samba di Amigo, CvS, KoF, SF3, MotW, Ikaruga, and a whole slew of other games I forgot to mention.

I'll be sure to drink one for our fallen friend.

I bought my first arcade stick for the Dreamcast.
Now I have several DC sticks, including the Interact Alloy, remember that one?

I also waited all night in the parking lot to get my DC, even though I had already paid for it.
It was the first console launch I cared about.

I got the first lightguns that the local EB recieved, weeks later, for HOTD2.

Only game I've imported so far is Shenmue 2 (euro).

I love it so.

Wish I woulda bought one of those hard, orange carry cases tho'

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
AniHawk said:
Didn't I say something about Sony hatin'? I coulda sworn I did.

I know I hated the DC controller. Its the first controller I really hated.
Don't get me wrong, I got a DC and enjoy a couple of games on it, but the DC controller is the only one that cramps my hand. And unless you're packing two VMUs in it, the fucker feels like its gonna fall apart in your hands.

suikodan

Was also present on 9/9/1999. Picked up a console with a Sonic Adventure GD that still doesn't boot up properly as of today.

The system died too quickly. It had a library of games that were so fun. PSO, Skies, Sonic, Shenmue, etc...

RIP to ya, old friend. I'll try playing Zombie Revenge tonight, that is if you don't reset my game after the first boss :(

Miburou

I remember some of the early DC games having voice skipping and the like. The fixed version of Ready 2 Rumble had a sticker that said "NEW!" to distinguish it from the defective ones.

neptunes

OmniGamer said:
I just realized tomorrow is Thursday, just like in '99 :)

good thinking there.

I remember going to my local EB (not knowing of the launch date) and playing Power Stone for like 20 minutes. Didn't see many people purchasing it though.

Mason

I hated Dreamcast when it first came out, being a diehard Nintendo fan. I remember after they started renting the systems at Blockbuster a couple weeks after it came out, I rented one and was like, "HAHA, it's so loud! Listen to it reading the CD! What a piece of shit!" But Hydro Thunder got the best of me, and I bought a DC a couple months later.

EDIT: Happy birthday, DC. I still love you!

Vgamer

Happy Bday Dreamcast! Some of my best gaming memories where on the little white box that could!! It was the first system I ever imported games for and the system I have the most games for! Long Live the DC!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Damn, I just thought about it, and it was my first import too. A year after the US launch, and a used japanese console off of eBay, but I think that still counts.

I've imported five consoles/portables since. Thanks Sega for starting me on the path of foolishly spending too much money on something I can get cheaper later.

Oh, and long live the DC. :D

It was my 4rth and last Sega system. I loved the Dremcast. got they system, with Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibre, Hydro Thunder, and NFL2k2. For a perosn that loves Arcade style titles, that system was great. HB Dreamcast

BuddyC

www.bsu.edu/web/cjfaylor/SegaTeleconference.wma

"Thank you Charlie, good morning everyone. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their patience, we understand that we have not been as accessible as usual over the last weeks for your media questions. For this global announcement you can imagine that there are many different logistics to coordinate, we couldn't answer any inquiries since we needed to be sensitive to our staff, partners and retailers and vendors and get in sync on a global level. Sega is announcing a dramatic change within this industry today. I plan to walk you through our new company strategy this morning and outline exactly what that means to the industry, consumers, retailers and all of our partners. As you all know, a major driving force for Sega globally has been the path to profitability. With years of continued losses, Sega is today announcing a new focus, one directed towards its core competency: game content and also radical new plans to reach the path to profitability as quickly as possible. We are happy to announce today that Sega will follow a three-pronged approach . One: Sega will become a platform agnostic third party publisher. Two: Sega will become an architecture provider and licensor of the Dreamcast technology to a range of devices, including for example, the recently announced set-top box product from PaceMicro Technology, Europe's largest digital set-tops box manufacturer. Sega will also be taking advantage of difference publishing channels to deliver Sega games to new handheld devices, including Palm Handheld Computers and Motorola cellular phones. And three: Sega will focus on its network strengths to bring online gaming to a variety of devices with a goal of becoming a leading network entertainment company."

Docpan

It was loud and died within 2 years. It sucked.
Allow me to pay my respects to that waste of hard-earned money:
,,|,,

Top Bottom