• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between the Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox, which console do you think was the best?

Between the Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox, which console do you think was the best?

• Dreamcast

• GameCube

• Xbox

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
GameCube was better technically

But I bored dreamcast because I think it have much more of an instant impact and I like the Dreamcast library better.

fatmarco

Xbox would definitely be last, most of its best games were also available on the PS2 IMO. Outside of Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, and Fable, I just don't have much interest in most of Xbox's exclusive titles, and even of the exclusives I mentioned, I played Halo on PC and it was by far the definitive way to experience it, sorry Xbox.
Just on this one point, I think this is objectively false. As stated before, the Xbox had most of the best heavy hitter games from PC that were released around that time, none of which arrived on the PS2.

I think there's also an inconsistency when discussing the original Xbox's legacy where while Xbox doesn't get credit for a lot of the games that launched as exclusives only to later be ported PC or Ps2 (Splinter Cell, KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, Chronicles of Riddick, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath are some examples of this) but Playstation 2's legacy is able to include things like Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and so forth, all of which were on Xbox.

EruditeHobo

Halo 1 & 2, KOTOR 1 & 2, Fable, Psychonauts, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden Black, GTA, Elder Scrolls, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, JSR Future, Crimson Skies, Silent Hill 2, GunValkyrie, Beyond Good and Evil, Oddworld, Riddick...

I know that's a significant amount of non-exclusives in there, but the reality is that collection of games blows the other 2 console's collective offerings out of the water for me. I owned all 3, so of course I'll admit that original Soul Caliber, PSO, MvC2 were huge wins for Dreamcast and I loved Sunshine, Windwaker, and RE4 on Gamecube. But still. Xbox wins for me pretty comfortably. Bought it for KOTOR and was not let down by the rest of the games of that generation... got me hooked solidly into the Xbox ecosystem until the very end of 360.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Xbox, but Dreamcast has a large part of my heart. What a system.

Xbox wins due to the fact am still using it to this day & with everything you could do with it.

Last few days I removed the xip check & mapped out all the colour values for the 5960 MSDash. So now UIX Ultra Lite can use skins and custom xips.
icB78lK.png

I also made the Xbox Softmodding Tool & do dashboards, XBMC4Gamers and XBMC-Emustation.

Being part of team Blackbolt back in the day, oh the nostalgia. 😁😂

Havoc2049

1. Xbox
2. Dreamcast
3. GameCube

My first love was DC, but then it was Xbox(DC2) all the way to finish off the gen. Halo, Dead or Alive 3 and Project Gotham Racing at launch and it never slowed down. Hard drive and high speed internet out of the box. Tons of great games from Microsoft, Sega and Tecmo. The Xbox also had the best multiplats that gen as well, with the excellent Splinter Cell trilogy as a perfect example and the excellent Spies vs Mercs online multiplayer.

The online multiplayer in Unreal Championship, MechAssault/MA2, Rallisort Challenge 2, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Phantasy Star Online EP I&II, Sega GT Online, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Forza Motorsport, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Conker Live and Reloaded, Crimson Skies and Steel Battalion Line of Contact on Xbox Live was so much fun and had such a great community back then.

nial

Dreamcast only had 18 months on the market in the West before Sega pulled the plug so the comparison is a bit unfair.
28 months, actually; from November 1998 to March 2001. It was still receiving first-party support up to June 2002, though it did get one last Sega game out of nowhere in February 2004 (Puyo Pop Fever).
Edit: Missed the 'in the West' part, lol. Still, a lot of that support in its first Western year was from 2 years worth of content in Japan.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Gamecube for me. Never owned or played Dreamcast. Liked Xbox but Ninja Gaiden and Riddick were the only game I really enjoyed. Didnt even try Xbox live.

Zathalus

Xbox for me. Fable, Jade Empire, KotOR 1+2, Jade Empire, Halo 1+2, Morrowind, Crimson Skies, Steel Battalion, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and PGR 1+2. The best hardware was a bonus as well. GameCube was a close second for me.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I wish I could have experienced all of them at the time, but I was just finishing high school at the turn of the millennium and I just didn't have the money. I bought a used Dreamcast when the machine was already dead, and the OG Xbox was launched at such a ludicrous price in Europe that very few would buy one when the PS2 was already a thing. Also, I was a Nintendo fanboy who looked at Sega and MS with scorn and distrust.

That said, I was never crazy about the GC, and what really made the console worth it for me were the two Metroid Prime games and RE4. The rest I didn't care much for. Today I think I'd have enjoyed DC and Xbox more, but I have little experience with both. So I won't vote in this poll.

CashPrizes

Definitely close between Xbox and Dreamcast.
Dreamcast had a great 2 years, like 20+ games worth buying. Soul Calibur, Power Stone 1 + 2, Ready 2 Rumble, Crazy Taxi, RE Code Veronica, best console versions of MVC2 and SF Alpha 3, Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, Rez, Jet Set Radio, Ikaruga, NFL2K series, and more. It really is a Sega + Capcom platform but those were 2 of their best years ever!

Xbox has the advantage of being ridiculously more powerful, Bioware games, the best versions of most multiplatform releases, a longer lifespan then Dreamcast but also shorter then most consoles. They also got the later Sega games that would have been DC exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, etc.

Gamecube is not very good, only leading in the poll because it is Nintendo. Worst mainline Mario game ever in Sunshine. Some middling Zelda titles, altho Four Swords was kickass with 4 friends all with GBAs. Metroid Prime is good but like I beat it in 12 hours and was done. Same with Crystal Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe, just seemed like I would beat them and they would just drop out of my thinking. Whereas a ton of those Dreamcast and Xbox games I would go back to again and again and still think about them. Resident Evil 4 is easily the best game on the entire system, had a ton of replay value, Mercenaries mode was amazing.

I owned all 3 and a PS2 and a gaming PC for Blizzard games and Civ. Would probably rank the generation PC > Dreamcast > Xbox > PS2> Gamecube.

Last edited:
I'd say Dreamcast >/= Xbox, >>>>>>>>>> Cube.

I grew up with arcade games, and I always had Sega consoles, so the Dreamcast was a revelation, for its time: some conversions were even better than arcade-perfect, like Soul Calibur, which was absolutely unbelievable, and still is my all-time favourite fighting game (and one of the best games I've ever played period).

If you add to that arcade pedigree games like the first Shenmue and many unique exclusive games, you start to understand why fans are so in love with the little machine.

With Sega going third party and working closely with MS, the OG xbox felt like a Dreamcast 2, in some ways. And then Halo.

cireza

Gold Member
Xbox, but Dreamcast has a large part of my heart. What a system.

Xbox wins due to the fact am still using it to this day & with everything you could do with it.

Last few days I removed the xip check & mapped out all the colour values for the 5960 MSDash. So now UIX Ultra Lite can use skins and custom xips.
icB78lK.png

I also made the Xbox Softmodding Tool & do dashboards, XBMC4Gamers and XBMC-Emustation.

Being part of team Blackbolt back in the day, oh the nostalgia. 😁😂
Any recommendations for a good HDMI connection to an HD TV ?

Connxtion

Gambit2483

Gotta go with Gamecube on this one. It has way too much quality to overlook.

Everything from Capcom (REmake/0, RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, etc.), All the DC ports, Every 1st party release, including Metroid Prime, Smash Melee, Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion and new IP like Pikmin, and cool exclusives like Tales of Symphonia and MGS Twin Snakes.

Sure Xbox had some great games like Ninja Gaiden and Halo but it didn't have the same amount of bangers and killer apps like Gamecube had.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Xbox for me. Fable, Jade Empire, KotOR 1+2, Jade Empire, Halo 1+2, Morrowind, Crimson Skies, Steel Battalion, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and PGR 1+2. The best hardware was a bonus as well. GameCube was a close second for me.

Don't forget Jade Empire!

NT80

Had all 3 at the time and Dreamcast had the best games for me. Very impressive for it's time too since it came out about 3 years before those others and though limited to a few titles had online play for the first time for a console I think.

Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 were on PS2 and Xbox, as Super Monkey Ball Deluxe.
*Sigh*.

Missing the point... the original launched as a day one title on GameCube as an exclusive, and thus the series was closely associated with GameCube back in those days. Didn't come to PS2 and others til years later. Based on your comment, it sounds like you're probably not old enough to remember such things... :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
GameCube was better technically

But I bored dreamcast because I think it have much more of an instant impact and I like the Dreamcast library better.
It was a very compact, high-powered, well-engineered machine that had higher specs than PS2 in a much smaller form factor, yet it didn't do as well commercially for many reasons. Sadly. Which we don't need to discuss again here, since it's been discussed to death already.

But in hindsight, I feel like the system's reputation has totally rebounded and come around, and it's now one of/ if not the most beloved/ talked about systems from the past. Which is really cool. And the software lives on and has become quite popular, particularly because of the Switch. But it was also given a second life alongside the Wii because until 2009, the Wii had GameCube ports and played GameCube games out-of-the-box at launch. Which was awesome for GameCube owners who didn't want to deal with needing to have two systems plugged in at the same time.

Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Monkey Ball all were birthed on the system and maybe didn't have big impacts way back 20 years ago, but they're now pretty big brands that continually get more popular as time goes on. How many copies did Luigi's Mansion 3 sell, like 13 million? Crazy.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member

fatmarco

*Sigh*.

Missing the point... the original launched as a day one title on GameCube as an exclusive, and thus the series was closely associated with GameCube back in those days. Didn't come to PS2 and others til years later. Based on your comment, it sounds like you're probably not old enough to remember such things... :messenger_winking:
I remember lol.

The point is do we judge a system on whether the titles were closely associated with that system, or whether you could simply play that title on the system (just a bit later)?

For example, games like Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid 2 were exclusives initially. I guess you can determine it by the length of exclusivity potentially.

_Ex_

"Best" is subjective, but in order I've personally had the most fun with: Xbox, GameCube, Dreamcast

Frwrd

They all had some cool ass original games of their own, me personally I find it hard to pick one over the other outright, more specifically between the GameCube and the Dreamcast, Xbox was the shit too...

So, I gotta say for me it was:

2. GameCube / Dreamcast
3. Xbox (NOT far from them)

Švejk

Banned
My heart tells me Dreamcast, but once my original Xbox was modded, it was the ultimate gaming machine. Working at a new/used game store at the time, being able to just copy XB games directly onto the HDD, and having every emulator on there, was God tier for it's time.

GC was pretty sad, in retrospect... Nowhere near as many fond memories as DC and XB provided at the time.

I remember lol.

The point is do we judge a system on whether the titles were closely associated with that system, or whether you could simply play that title on the system (just a bit later)?

For example, games like Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid 2 were exclusives initially. I guess you can determine it by the length of exclusivity potentially.
A bit later? It was GameCube exclusive for 4 years. So, in this case, I'd have to firmly maintain that SMB for all intents and purposes was rightfully so closely associated with GameCube. Even moreso when you consider that many people bought GameCubes to play 4 player multiplayer games with/ for their kids, and most people outside of the hardcore would've even noticed or cared that it wasn't technically a Nintendo-made game. 🤷‍♂️

23 years later, especially, it's really all about perception. Hence why the new SMB game that came out in June is a Switch exclusive, with no announced plans to be ported to anything else.

Last edited:
As much as I love the gamecube and it was my main at that time, I think the xbox. Dreamcast is awesaome too but didnt get time to live long. Xbox had the best graphics so the multiplatform games on it looked better usually than gc and dc. xbox live was the clear king of online for consoles and it had great titles like Halo, PGR, Ninja Gaiden,etc.

Last edited:
I loved the Dreamcast and had a lot of fun with, but Gamecube was such a surprise with killer apps such Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Tales of Symphonia , RE remake and Wind Waker/TP. GC was such a huge step up from the disappointment that was N64, and even though it had a relatively small library of games, they were almost all of high quality. Loved the small form factor too, the purple color and the controller. Gamecube deserved a better fate.
n64 is better than the gamecube. the titles were more of a landmark type.

True. In many cases, GameCube versions of 3D Nintendo franchises that were first made 3D on N64 were more refined, difficult, and made for hardcore gamers. TTYD, Sunshine, Smash, Double Dash, etc. So it greatly satisfied the diehards, but didn't capture a very wide audience. Hence Nintendo's hard pivot to the casual crowd with the DS & Wii about 2/3 of the way through the GameCube's life.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Hard disagree. N64 is the most disappointing console I've owned. Outside of Nintendos first party (of which I only enjoyed SM64, Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time), it's a barren desert. Nintendo lost me here to Playstation and Saturn and I ditched the N64. Gamecube was a step in the right direction for Nintendo, at least imo.

buenoblue

Closer than I would have predicted. I enjoyed all three consoles. But that OG Xbox was legit amazing.

Playing jade empire, Halo, Morrowind, dead or alive 2 and the best console version of GTA san Andreas in my first flat on my new 28 inch widescreen tv 💪 add in Dolby pro logic surround 👌. Then FIFA on Xbox live, where I managed to get 54th ranked in the world 😮. Yes yes yes. Good fucking times 💯☺️

Rodolink

damn this is tight!
they are all brothers in a sense
i would say Xbox since it paved ground for the next gen with online play, hdd and Halo.
gcn had smash and zelda but nothing revolutionary.
Dreamcast was a sad demise. more like the prototype for the Xbox.

TNT Sheep

You can't go wrong with any of these consoles. Looking at it through a modern lens I voted for Gamecube, because the first party line-up is just that good and there are still a bunch of games that have barely been ported if at all (looking at you Fzero GX and Zelda Four Swords Adventures), but Xbox is certainly no slouch.

It has an active online community with Insignia; looks great on modern tvs due to the prevalence of 480p and widescreen options, not to mention 720p/1080i support for a handful of games; it still has some key exclusives that have never been ported such as Jet Set Radio Future, Mech Assault 1 + 2, Steel Batallion and Rallisport Challenge 1+2; and it is the quintessential 6th gen multiplatform machine, with usually the best performing or looking console versions of games, which are often the cheapest versions to boot.

Dreamcast and it isn’t even close…

1st ever console MMO
1st console to include a modem
1st console to allow mini games to be installed and played separately on its memory card
Completely free online puzzle game sent by Sega (Sonic Teams Chu Chu Rocket)
Cool accessories such as VMU, Rumble pack, Maracas, mic for talking to Seaman, keyboard and mouse, fishing rod etc.
Relentless lineup of banger games including multiple system sellers I.e. Soul Calibur, Shenmue 1&2, Phantasy Star Online
Best launch lineup of any console ever
Best console name of all time

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I think a lot of people forgot that the Gamecube actually got a crapton of Dreamcast ports. Everything from Sonic Adventure series, to Crazy Taxi, RE:CV, Skies of Arcadia and even PSO...and in many cases these ports were the superior versions.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

The game so nice you named it twice

Top Bottom