• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Any Violence Or Gore In A Film Ever Truly "Shocked" You?

Dithadder

It left me in a bad mood because of how stupid it is.

There were four (that's 4) adults in that car. Supposedly the most rational ones. And nobody protested on this? They all agreed? After all they went through to save their lives?

The answer i usually get is that they were desperate and "you don't know how you would feel in that situation" etc. Which is very predictable. But again, FOUR people. At the very least one would say, nah, fuck it, i rather wait until the last second for something to happen. Heck, i would expect at least one to be afraid to kill themselves. It's not like everyone has the courage to do it. But they all just agreed and they all seemed to have the same emotional reaction to it. No panic, no fear, no second thoughts, no last second remorse, no nothing. Yeah, seems like a dead end, let's kill ourselves. What bullshit.

It's another movie that tries to convince you suicide is easy. Same with people sacrificing themselves, i see that in every other movie. Basically, characters in movies don't value their life much.

Oh and that wasn't the book ending.

There were 4 people in the car. I don't know why this gets ignored. It's statistically impossible they would all agree to kill themselves at that particular point in time. Even 2 out of 4 would be a reach IMO but 4 out of 4 is bullshit.

Most people would still wait it out as much as possible. They weren't dying from thirst or hunger yet, did they? The car wasn't slowly getting submerged into water or something, there wasn't a fire coming closer and closer to them. They had plenty of time. So why not wait as much as they could, in case something happens like, dunno, some other group of cars comes close by or the army reaches them and saves them (oh snap). You would do the same, i would to the same and most people here would too. You might disagree and say "i would kill myself" but that's only because Hollywood convinced you that you would. But you wouldn't. 90% people wouldn't at that point.

That ending was just Hollywood stupid and not realistic at all.
Kings a great writer but sometimes like with the mist his stories end like a car stalling. That the screenwriters managed to change it for the worse was disappointing.

Last edited:
Shocked me? When I was a kid and still fresh to horror movies the fog, and the thing were shocking to me. I had to turn of the fog off when people got killed in the fog and I couldn't finish the thing till a few years later.

But as an adult? Nothing shocks me because my brain knows it's fake and special effects have gone way way down hill the past 20 years and get worse as the true masters of effects get old and CGI becomes more of a thing.

The only thing to disgust me as an adult was the baby scene in a Serbian film. I had to skip ahead because it angered me. I finished the movie but I'll never watch it again.

thegame983

I remember sticking on a french horror movie one Friday nite years ago with the mates over and there was a scene with a pregnant woman having her baby cut out of her belly with scissors and fuck me, you never heard 6 grown stoned lads scream like little girls when that shit went down, one of my mates left the room and the rest of us where all WHAAAAAT THE ABSOLUTE FUUUUUCK, can't for the life of me remember

Great film.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

Last edited:
These type of films need to be a filed into different genre altogether because this ain't horror or thriller. It just makes you feel like utter shit.

Yeah the movie before hand was like bad with terrible acting etc but when those last 20 mins hit, oof is all I'm saying..

Wanna know something funny? A group of 10 teenagers like that recently tried to intimidate me. When I turned around walked towards them shouting that I will fucking kill them, they all ran like pussies.

10 against 1...

Last edited:

Bry0

The bedroom scene in terrifier 2. It was just so over the top gruesome that it’s been ingrained in me ever since. The weird mix of horror and slapstick comedy the clown dude does is just a crazy combination.

Last edited:

No GIF

Natsuko

Schindler's List, the girl with the red coat and the older man who was so proud of his essential war work and is simply murdered. When Schindler saw the little girl on that cart one last time, I was really struck.

The beginning of The Jury. Not because it's so brutal, but because despite having read the book, I wasn't “prepared” for it and hadn't processed my own experiences with abuse at the time.

There are certainly a few more scenes from war films, but the ones from Schindler's List are the most striking for me. The movie has some nasty scenes, but for some reason the ones mentioned touch me the most every time. It's probably the man's honest sincerity. The innocence he radiates. You just want to give him a hug and then ... dead.

deathsaber

You know, in actual horror movies, not really. I know they want to push buttons.

But when it utterly surprises me, and I don't expect it...

So yeah, Pan's Labyrinth got me good. I knew I was in for a dark fantasy film with a reality based war-time backdrop where there would be some violence and adult themes, which earned it an R-ratingand for the most part I was getting what I expected. But then when:

Captain Vidal has his talk with those farmers and that bottle of wine gets involved, let's just say all semblance of comfort watching that film was obliterated and completely upended as a shocking (and quite graphic) scene of violence commenced, and later on when he's given a nice Glasgow smile and tends to that....cringe.

The thing is- these scenes are hardly the entire film, but when things do happen in this film- they go HARD.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

I did feel bone tomahawk was brutal... But... Art is the greatest. Sawing the girl in half, the brutality and the joy of him doing it was a total wtf.. then in terrified 2 the way he carves up Allie who is still alive in her bedroom oof..

Happy Shock GIF by Regal

T3 will be Leones most brutal.

I'm somewhat desensitized to gore and violence but I've been watching some of Eli Roth's VR horror and despite Meta TV's extremely shitty streaming that makes everything look like it's 480p it's really unnerving when everything is happening from a first person VR perspective. Zuck needs to pony up more money for VR movies. I think being able to see the scale of a cosmic horror can inflict a sense of awe and dread that you can't get on a flat screen.

Liljagare

The Thing, Event Horizon, Hellraiser 1+2.

Braindead was in another level though. Deer hunter was grim, also, Deliverence, omg.

Last edited:
A Serbian Film and Gummo. I watched these with some friends, and we knew going in that they were gonna be intense and uncomfortable, and boy were we still shocked, especially by the former.

Last edited:
Top Bottom